All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
In RSE OU, how do I not get trapped by Magneton and Tyranitar? I can't be sure my opponents don't have a trapper until I reveal all 6 of their Pokemon, and I don't want to wait until then to use my trap-able Pokemon.
Between Magneton, Dugtrio, and Tyranitar (which isn't that common of a trapper in RSE since the only major target he would have is Gengar, but he is in DPP) you can't ever really be safe.

In RSE, Skarmory is the most common Magneton target, and you'll see many players do the following: either accept their fate and build their team around capitalizing on only getting 1 layer of Spikes, using Whirlwind on the first turn that Skarmory is out to try and scout for Magneton, or double switch immediately for the same effect. Ultimately, Magneton is pretty much useless outside of KOing Skarmory though, so it's easy to take advantage of once it's out, being setup bait for a number of Pokemon. Dugtrio is a lot harder to play around, but he's also much more difficult to get in safely so he's largely only used for revenge killing. He also has a tough time getting KOes without Choice Band, which means if he locks himself into Earthquake he's setup bait for a large number of Pokemon, especially DD Mence and Gyarados.

Basically, it's important to have a gameplan from the beginning to know what to do if you get trapped and build your team to know how you're going to capitalize on the trappers once they're exposed (if they're present). Your opponent bringing a trapper also means your opponent has gaps in their team's type coverage and indicates strongly that they're team is offensively-inclined (especially if they bring both, this means they're basically playing with 4 mons and 2 disposables), allowing you to adjust your gameplan accordingly and to find where their gaps are.

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone send me a link or recommend a competitive team that has pokemon only found in heart gold or soul silver. All i see is gen 4 and almost all teams include ruby and sapphire pokemon.

how do I join?
What do you want to join?

Edit: Why don't we have a subforum for each generation? Each of the UMs got their own subforum.

Edit: Why does RBY OU not allow tradebacks? Isn't it supposed to allow everything that's possible without hacking, not against a clause, and not Ubers?

Edit: Why is ingrain Smeargle broken in ADV/RSE?

Last edited:
Can we advertise in room, encouraging people to vote for like, 1v1 in the 1v1 room, or AG in the AG room, and the like? It is banned in OM room to advertise, so asking just to make sure

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Can we advertise in room, encouraging people to vote for like, 1v1 in the 1v1 room, or AG in the AG room, and the like? It is banned in OM room to advertise, so asking just to make sure
Best off asking room auth that are online at the time. Discussion of PS matters is not done here, so we are not sure -- usually can be room specific.

How come mienshao was good back in BW ou, and why is it not considered in that tier now?
Different metagames have different trends, naturally. BW had games go quicker, so a fast, aggressive Regenerator type that had a potent offensive presence went a long way. Now, Mienshao is relatively slower, faces Fairy types walling it defensively, and games are far more drawn out, which does not bode as well for it as other things. Overall, Mienshao fits much better into the BW metagame than the SM metagame.

What is the difference (other than limiting one per team) between Gen 7 Z-moves and Gen 5 Gem boosted moves? Is one more effective than the other?

kjdaas

this girl rly slapped some letters together huh
is a Community Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
What is the difference (other than limiting one per team) between Gen 7 Z-moves and Gen 5 Gem boosted moves? Is one more effective than the other?
A big difference is that you can choose with Z-moves when you want to use it and with which move, but with gems it is the first move of that type. So for example, if I use fighting gem breloom with both focus punch and mach punch then the first time I click one of those, it will activate and use up my crystal. This can get you in some situations were you need to mach punch to revenge kill a weakened mon, but in turn waste tour fighting gem. Z-moves don't have this problem and you can choose the exact turn when to use it.

Another slight difference, mostly doubles related, is that z-moves can go through protect whereas gems cannot. There might be more that i'm forgetting right now, but that was the main difference i think.

I wanted to start learning BW and ORAS for Smogon Tour. What would be the best way to go about learning them and building teams in these tiers?

Why don't we have a subforum for each generation? Each of the UMs got their own subforum.

Why does RBY OU not allow tradebacks? Isn't it supposed to allow everything that's possible without cheating, not against a clause, and not Ubers? Do tradebacks count as cheating?

Why is ingrain Smeargle broken in ADV/RSE?

In DPP, stats update whenever the Pokemon eats an EV berry, right? Why can't people EV train the event Arceus and feed it a berry to make all the EVs effective?

Why don't we have a subforum for each generation? Each of the UMs got their own subforum.

Why does RBY OU not allow tradebacks? Isn't it supposed to allow everything that's possible without cheating, not against a clause, and not Ubers? Do tradebacks count as cheating?

Why is ingrain Smeargle broken in ADV/RSE?

In DPP, stats update whenever the Pokemon eats an EV berry, right? Why can't people EV train the event Arceus and feed it a berry to make all the EVs effective?
The older generations used to have their own subforums, but they had little use and so were combined into this subforum. The tags for threads by generation work just as well as a subforum when there aren't many threads.

RBY doesn't allow tradebacks, because tradebacks were not available when the generation was the main competitive game. GSC access to moves, if course, didn't come to fruition until after RBY had been replaced.

Ingrain Smeargle is banned to nerf Baton Pass chains (along with the Speed Pass ban). This is a smaller nerf than the full ban that later generations have on Baton Pass.

If Arceus were available, that wouldn't be a problem. The Arceus released in generation 4 was released as the generation ended, but also was released at level 100 so at max it could have 100 EVs in each stat from Calcium, Zinc etc. It can't level up, which is why DPP Ubers with Arceus is sometimes called the Farceus metagame.

If Arceus were available, that wouldn't be a problem. The Arceus released in generation 4 was released as the generation ended, but also was released at level 100 so at max it could have 100 EVs in each stat from Calcium, Zinc etc. It can't level up, which is why DPP Ubers with Arceus is sometimes called the Farceus metagame.
So level 100 Pokemon can't gain EVs at all? It's not that they're gaining the EVs and the stats aren't updating?

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
So level 100 Pokemon can't gain EVs at all? It's not that they're gaining the EVs and the stats aren't updating?
In Gen3-Gen4 EV changes are applied when leveling up, since that Arceus is only level 100, it can only gain EVs from vitamins

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Note that in Gen 4 (and Gen 4 only), a single EV reducing berry will immediately reduce the total EVs in a stat to 100 if the current EVs in that stat are greater than 100. Subsequent berries will reduce by 10 as normal.

Edit:
After digging through the annals of Smogon research in Gen 4, I found testing confirmation that your idea of using EV reducing berries will not allow the Level 100 Arceus to have more than 100 EVs. EVs are tied to experience points (which is why you can't EV train in facilities), and as Level 100 mons cannot gain experience they do not gain EVs.

Last edited:
Why did ADV/RSE OU need a complex ban on ingrain? If they really wanted to keep both Smeargle and baton pass, couldn't they fix the problem by completely banning ingrain?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Why did ADV/RSE OU need a complex ban on ingrain? If they really wanted to keep both Smeargle and baton pass, couldn't they fix the problem by completely banning ingrain?
Short answer: in order to limit casualties. Ingrain alone is not broken, baton pass alone is not broken, but ingrain introduced to a bp chain was broken, ergo ban that combination.

Short answer: in order to limit casualties. Ingrain alone is not broken, baton pass alone is not broken, but ingrain introduced to a bp chain was broken, ergo ban that combination.
Isn't this kind of like saying "Garchomp is not broken. Outrage is not broken. But Garchomp with outrage is broken, so ban that combination."?

Oglemi

Borf
Isn't this kind of like saying "Garchomp is not broken. Outrage is not broken. But Garchomp with outrage is broken, so ban that combination."?
No, it was more akin to the gsc ban of sleep trapping. The only broken part of the metagame was bp chains not being able to be phazed, and the only way that that became possible was due to smeargle's access to both ingrain and bp. It's banning a part of a pokemon yes, but to nerf an otherwise more broken aspect of the metagame.

There's also the part where the ban took place years after the generation ended, so using a surgical method to reduce casualties was far more desirable to limit the effect on the overall metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)