Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Wol
Region seems to be based off Britain because of Big Ben and that Industrial Revolution/steam engine feel we saw throughout the trailer (watch as the Professor is James Watt-styled), but I wonder about the wolves in the games' art.
Are wolves traditionally associated with Britain?
I thought they were the symbol of more Scandinavian people (Vikings come to mind but I'm sure that's not it).
Could it be the villain team will be Scandinavian-themed?
Wolves are now in Scotland

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Lots of people have been confused about wolves on the logo. So to get things straight, wolves have been recently re introduced in Scotland as since they were wiped out in Britain there was no predator to control deer populations. Pokemon has obviously researched this area a lot. (Although not sure why we have a monkey starter?!!)
Starters rarely ever match with what the region is based on. Hawaii doesn't have tigers (and as far as I know, also doesn't have seals).

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of fossils, will we get new ones? I hope so. Only 2 gens so far haven't had them. TPP needs more members of the fossil pantheon. Maybe the new animation for ancient power from Sun and Moon was hinting at this gens fossils.
We most likely will. Fossils have been a generational pattern for the most part (alongside the regional Normal-type, the bird, the Pikaclone, and the pseudo-legendary) so naturally at least two fossil evolutionary lines will be coming among the new Pokemon in Gen 8, since they've been a part of almost every generation and are pretty popular.

Also, call it a weird theory, but the likely reasons Gen 2 and 7 didn't have new fossil Pokemon probably boils down to canonical reasons pertaining to their respective regions:

Gen 2: Johto is on the same landmass as Kanto. The prehistoric species that would've existed at the time wouldn't have been much different from those in Kanto since the landmass they are on is the same and therefore the same Pokemon would've existed there. In-game, the Ruins of Alph most prominently features the Kanto fossil Pokemon which likely reflects this, and only the Kanto fossils are obtainable in Johto in HGSS, and there are no obtainable fossils in GSC.
Gen 7: Alola is based on the Hawaiian islands, which are geologically very young and most likely didn't exist during the prehistoric times. A book in Malie Library also states that the Alolan islands formed in the same way that the real world Hawaiian islands did, and it can be assumed like Hawaii that they are in fact too young to have much of a fossil record. Also reflected in the fact that you don't obtain Fossils in this game from any workers/miners: all Fossils you obtain in Alola (from previous gens) are obtained from a store in Konikoni, which is also a city of merchants: implying Fossils don't naturally exist in Alola and are only traded in as commodities from other regions.

I'm probably looking too much into it, but it's my personal theory as to why Gens 2 and 7 skipped out on new Fossils. The other regions are all separate landmasses from each other and are based on places that likely did exist during the prehistoric times: Galar seems to be based on the UK itself which does have its own history of dinosaurs, so we may end up getting some new fossil Pokemon based on some dinosaur species they haven't touched on yet with what we have so far.

Starters rarely ever match with what the region is based on. Hawaii doesn't have tigers (and as far as I know, also doesn't have seals).
For the record, Hawai'i actually does have native seals - but Popplio is the Sea Lion Pokémon (seals and sea lions belong to different families), so the point still stands.

By the look of it exactly zero of the Gen VIII starters are based on species endemic to Britain; the natural range of both rabbits and chameleons in Europe only goes as far north as Iberia (although rabbits were introduced into Britain by the Romans).

Eevee is eternal. GF has realised the great potential of monetising it along with the omnipresent Pikachu.
In fact, I'm sure new Eeveelution will come, unless ms. Nishida retired from GF.
Well aside from the memes, isn't Eevee one of the handful of Pokemon who was available in every single game except RSE?

I'd put money on a Steel-type Eeveelution this gen but I'm poor. But the general idea that a steel type eevee is coming I think is fairly likely.
To be honest I was surprised we never got the "missing" eevee types after Sylveon.

Maybe they just thought it didn't fit in gen 7 since we already were getting Evo boost...

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Another big "Seriously, Game Freak, this is worrying and you need to think" in the design of the female character. Again, we have a girl whose skirt is so short she might as well not have worn it at all. Would it really have killed anybody if a female character, for once, was given a skirt or pants whose edge was closer to her knees than her crotch? I think it's a little sickening to see the heroines, usually portrayed to be 15 or younger, always dressed in skimpy clothing instead of the practical wear the boys tend to have.
better the kids playing these games end up attracted to the characters rather than the pokemon

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Galar seems to be based on the UK itself which does have its own history of dinosaurs, so we may end up getting some new fossil Pokemon based on some dinosaur species they haven't touched on yet with what we have so far.
Calling it right now, the most plausible one would be the Ichytosaur. Look up the story of Mary Anning, she'd make a wonderful side character and fossil maniac. She found the first-ever complete skeleton of an Ichytosaur at age 12. She was later instrumental in discovering the Plesiosaurus too; coincidentally, another fossil creature that has not yet been Pokémon-ified.

First thing to catch my eye:
Right. So, the first thing that really caught my eye in the trailer was the female trainer tip-toeing through the patch of tall grass.
ORAS players know what I'm thinking about...I'm pretty excited that we might get a feature similar to the DexNav! No Pokémon was actually sticking out of the grass, though, so it's still up in the air as to what the tip-toeing actually does functionally.
So that large grassy area with the lakes in the southern part of Galar? Yeah, that's definitely a golf course, everyone, with the lakes obviously being the water hazards and with sand bunkers spread about (I'm surprised no one in this thread has yet openly acknowledge it for speculation's sake).
I wanna say that this particular course is in reference to one of the four professional golf majors, The Open Championship (or British Open). This is all assuming Galar is fully U.K.-based, of course. Either way, it looks like we might get to see Kahili here as a cameo!

This means that there's at least two notable sports in Galar, soccer/football and golf. Please make it at least three, though. As someone from outside the U.K., soccer and golf aren't the sporting events that come to mind first when thinking of sports in the U.K.. That honor goes to tennis, with Wimbledon being one of the world's most prestigious sporting events. So yeah, reveal some Pokémon tennis later on just because, please!

More importantly and unfortunately, that whole area is likely private property. Good luck actually roaming through the entirety of that expansive area, unless for some reason it doubles as a public area in the off-season. I guess we just have to traverse around it...

Initial thoughts on potential of Regional Variants in Galar:
Let me preface this by saying that of all the new concepts and features SM ushered in, if only one concept/feature was adopted from those games it would be the concept of regional variants— and yes, I'd tolerate HMs if they for whatever reason returned (realistically, though, please forbid them in Galar, too).

Surveying the region map and the trailer worried me of the potential addition of new regional variants. Nothing I've seen yet screams to me, "Climate in this area is too unique for you, visiting Pokémon species. Adapt or move someplace more suitable and change!" The climate is fairly normal with respect to each particular location seen in the trailer, unless there are some things unexpectedly unusual within a few habitats that haven't been revealed yet. If someone here from the U.K. could mention if there is anything notable there geographically extreme climate-wise, please do so.

...Okay, I've been staring at those characters from Yveltal's post for too long. I was also trying to decipher them for fun. Maybe I'll figure them out later.

As for the starters, after seeing the Flying typing on Rowlett change as it evolved, I'm not very confident in guessing the future typings of these guys. Honestly, I could settle for pure typing all the way, as boring as that sounds, but these guys do scream dual-typing potentially.
Isn’t the Premier League the most watched football league in the world?

Anyone think there will be a new Pokemon type?

Calling it right now, the most plausible one would be the Ichytosaur. Look up the story of Mary Anning, she'd make a wonderful side character and fossil maniac. She found the first-ever complete skeleton of an Ichytosaur at age 12. She was later instrumental in discovering the Plesiosaurus too; coincidentally, another fossil creature that has not yet been Pokémon-ified.
I really agree with this!! My grandfather found an ichthyosaur fossil/skeleton in his back garden! Of course he was not the first, but that shows that it was pretty common in Britain in prehistoric times! Also I think we might get a tropical looking one as Britain (millions of years ago) used to be in the tropics. To add to that, the reason there are water type Pokemon from alohla is because we get most of our fish from around the Mediterranean Sea near Hawaii.

MOD EDIT: Please don't double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very unlikely. A new attributal mechanic (like Sound moves, contact moves, etc.), maybe, but not an entirely new type.
As of now, there's no balancing reason to make a new type.
Fairy type was there to combat Dragons which GF screwed their BSTs over the years, making them overpowered most of times. And I suppose Steel and Dark are common knowledge.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just found another thing that strengthens my belief in the plesiosaur idea: The Loch Ness monster is commonly referred to as one. Here is Urquhart Castle by Loch Ness, courtesy of Wikipedia:

And here is a little tower seen next to a lake on the world map:

It is a round tower and not a square one, but it features the exact same damage as Urquhart Castle does: A collapse of half the turret, with the other side remaining relatively intact. It also lies next to a lake.

Or that lake could be filled with Lapras, that might be a thing instead.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i've seen a few other people speculating about this but as long as there's no solid evidence to back it up i'm inclined to say no. new types aren't really something that happen often as we've seen (only three have been added ever and over the course of 7 generations at that). if there have been any supposed leaks to suggest the introduction of a new type that i'm unaware of then let me know but i haven't seen anything pertaining to it yet.

Well aside from the memes, isn't Eevee one of the handful of Pokemon who was available in every single game except RSE?
I could only remember Hoen and Unova as the Eevee-less region. Hoen because idk, maybe FRLG came along, and Unova because they made botched attempt of entirely new generation, and they put Eevee in BW2 via other means anyway after realising that failure. In every other generations, that's because new 'Vees were introduced. Alola is the only one with Eevee and no new 'Vee, and that's because Eevee gets Eevium-Z.

Very, very unlikely. A new attributal mechanic (like Sound moves, contact moves, etc.), maybe, but not an entirely new type.
As of now, there's no balancing reason to make a new type.
Fairy type was there to combat Dragons which GF screwed their BSTs over the years, making them overpowered most of times. And I suppose Steel and Dark are common knowledge.
While I do agree that new type is very unlikely (after all, after gen 2, it took 5 gens to get a new type again), I do think chances of some type chart adjustment are possible.
Expecially regarding fairy or steel types. The current VGC state gives a clear hint on the fact the influx of strong Fairy types overdone his "antidragon" work and combined with Steel resistance almost completely destroyed every dragon in the game.
If you look at the VGC usage for both last and this year, there's extremely few dragon types with more than 5% CP winrate, even including ubers / legendaries.

I'd hope GF realizes they overshot with making strong antidragon Pokemon and either Dragon type needs some love, or Fairy/Steel need some tuning.

I just found another thing that strengthens my belief in the plesiosaur idea: The Loch Ness monster is commonly referred to as one. Here is Urquhart Castle by Loch Ness, courtesy of Wikipedia:

And here is a little tower seen next to a lake on the world map:

It is a round tower and not a square one, but it features the exact same damage as Urquhart Castle does: A collapse of half the turret, with the other side remaining relatively intact. It also lies next to a lake.

Or that lake could be filled with Lapras, that might be a thing instead.
Now I can see our little fossil mon being promoted to legendary pokémon.

While I do agree that new type is very unlikely (after all, after gen 2, it took 5 gens to get a new type again), I do think chances of some type chart adjustment are possible.
Expecially regarding fairy or steel types. The current VGC state gives a clear hint on the fact the influx of strong Fairy types overdone his "antidragon" work and combined with Steel resistance almost completely destroyed every dragon in the game.
If you look at the VGC usage for both last and this year, there's extremely few dragon types with more than 5% CP winrate, even including ubers / legendaries.

I'd hope GF realizes they overshot with making strong antidragon Pokemon and either Dragon type needs some love, or Fairy/Steel need some tuning.
A rework on the type chart is welcome. GF worked to make adjustments like Paralysis immunity for Electrics, Prankster immunity for Darks, etc., and still not Ice type (other than... who uses Sheer Cold other than haxxing AI anyway?) which has been suffering the awful defensive charts while Waters (admittedly my own fav type) steal their credit with almost every Water 'mon able to use Ice Beam.

Then again, while GF is at least not that horrible in game balance, they have works to do on it too. Remember MegaMom. They had the audacity to admit they're surprised MegaMom destroyed everything. Or RIP Smogonbirb Gale Wings. It seems like overdoing balance would be a habit.
And Fairy/Steel only reminds me of horror of MegaKucheat (I forgot Eng name) which almost always screwed me in BSTriples back then. And I didn't even use any Dragon.

Last edited:
Now I can see our little fossil mon being promoted to legendary pokémon.
I think we will get the red dragon and white dragon as legendary Pokemon. I got taught about the myth in school where the two last dragons were fighting (the red won, but that doesn’t matter) I think that this game might be trying to increase dragon and fairy number as the UK has many folk laws.

A rework on the type chart is welcome. GF worked to make adjustments like Paralysis immunity for Electrics, Prankster immunity for Darks, etc., and still not Ice type (other than... who uses Sheer Cold other than haxxing AI anyway?) which has been suffering the awful defensive charts while Waters (admittedly my own fav type) steal their credit with almost every Water 'mon able to use Ice Beam.

Then again, while GF is at least not that horrible in game balance, they have works to do on it too. Remember MegaMom. They had the audacity to admit they're surprised MegaMom destroyed everything. It seems like overdoing balance would be a habit.
THIS, and I hope someday they get rid of the unreliable "frozen solid" status to replace it with some kind of SAtk variant for burn.

To be honest, I still think the issue isn't that Ice typing has problems, but rather that there's too few offensive Ice types. Ice's a insanely strong offensive type but for some godforsaken reason they decided to make a billion defensive Ice types instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)