Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

If Pyukumuku is so viable in OU, why does it have analyses for almost every tier? Why does no one use it enough to bump it even out of ZU?

Have there ever been bottom tier mons by usage that were viable in virtually every tier?

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What Pex EV spread would be best on a Mega Sab, Quag, Avalugg, Chansey, Moltres stall?
While I don’t think that Pex will fit on that team (an older sample team had Ferro as a sixth slot if you want suggestions), I think a full physdef variant will do you just fine.

If Pyukumuku is so viable in OU, why does it have analyses for almost every tier? Why does no one use it enough to bump it even out of ZU?

Have there ever been bottom tier mons by usage that were viable in virtually every tier?
I wouldn’t say its the most viable. Pyukumuku faces competition from Quag and Unaware Clef for the already specific spot on Stall teams as an Unaware user. Its usage has dropped considerably after being discovered at WCoP last year, too. This is probably why it hasn’t moved up any tiers. As for your other question, off the top of my head I think Slowbro is one where it gets alot of usage outside its own (its currently RU, but sees good amounts of usage in base in UU and pops its head up in OU on occasion).

Does anyone have an opinion on running Modest Scarf Magneton over Timid Scarf Magnezone? It's one point slower and significantly less bulky in exchange for a bit more power. I'm assuming it's not worth it but can someone good confirm?
Magnezone really appreciates its bulk and both can generally score the same OHKOs and 2HKOs, so Magneton generally isn't worth it. There was, however, a point during Gen 6 OU where Magneton had a legitimate niche over Magnezone because of its higher Speed (you'd run Timid) allowing it to revenge kill Talonflame in addition to trapping most of the threats you'd want Magnezone for in the first place. But nowadays that's not very important and Magneton doesn't have any niches over Magnezone in this tier and being slower than Zone itself can leave you in a really, really shitty situation if you get trapped by an opponent's Zone.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lately I have been seeing some Talfonlame HO on ladder. Is Talonflame/birdspam viable in OU?
Birdspam is viable in OU. As for Talonflame itself, Talonflame isn't great, but as a lot of teams aren't prepared/don't prepare for it, it can be effective with good play that places pressure on hazard setters. I wouldn't call it generally viable, but you can certainly make it work.

How does non-sableye stall deal with Ash-Greninja? If course, Chansey walls for days, but without magic bounce on the team, Gren is much more free to click spikes. On top of that, no standard defogger/spinner can safely switch in on both hydro pump and dark pulse. One could swap out a hazard control mon for a less conventional one, like Hydreigon or Articuno, but you lose great checks (Zapdos for Kartana, and Mew for Tapu Lele, for example).

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
How does non-sableye stall deal with Ash-Greninja? If course, Chansey walls for days, but without magic bounce on the team, Gren is much more free to click spikes. On top of that, no standard defogger/spinner can safely switch in on both hydro pump and dark pulse. One could swap out a hazard control mon for a less conventional one, like Hydreigon or Articuno, but you lose great checks (Zapdos for Kartana, and Mew for Tapu Lele, for example).
Some stalls like the sample Mega Aggron team have double Defog to help deal with the extra hazards. On the other hand, Ash Greninja has to be careful about being worn down by Stealth Rock + status, and because Chansey tanks Hydro + Dark Pulse very well along with having 2 Defog users, it's possible to outlast Ash-Greninja in the long run. Ash Greninja also has to come in on something it can force out to get up a spike, but one issue (or at least with the Aggron stall for Greninja) is that there are several Protect users that can scout for what move Greninja locks itself into. While you might end up removing that Spike later, Greninja might also be forced out or risks being chipped/statused. It's still annoying to deal with and can force the Stall team to remove hazards more often, but it is entirely possible to wear Greninja down via hazards/status to knock it out in the long run.

Do you guys have any threads that give general or specific tips on how to play against certain types of teams or play styles like rain or HO?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you guys have any threads that give general or specific tips on how to play against certain types of teams or play styles like rain or HO?
Nothing pops up in mind. Metagame thread would be the best place for things like that I feel, but the problem is there is a lot of variance between the team you're using and the team you're facing that it's difficult to have a general "how to" with handling such teams.

For example, against rain some teams like Zard Y / Driller / Tar teams have a bit more outs than, say, some standard balanced teams.

Nothing pops up in mind. Metagame thread would be the best place for things like that I feel, but the problem is there is a lot of variance between the team you're using and the team you're facing that it's difficult to have a general "how to" with handling such teams.

For example, against rain some teams like Zard Y / Driller / Tar teams have a bit more outs than, say, some standard balanced teams.
True but I feel there are general strategies to counter specific types of teams like Stall for example almost always struggles with Mold Breakers since they can break though Unaware walls and Knock Off will always be a great option against Pelipper.

They'll usually direct you to this thread whenever you're asking any type of question from my experience and something like that would require a lottle more than just a simple answer.

Would be cool to have a thread where you can post a team and ask how that specific team can be built to have a better match up against another specific type of team without requiring a detailed description on every mon the way you have to in an RMT.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
bullet punch medi, y/n? I just have no idea where on the moveset I want it, losing Ice Punch sucks. Also what nature with BP?
Generally you're gonna want to use it over Zen Headbutt as Ice Punch provides solid coverage alongside Hi Jump Kick, but as always it depends on the rest of your team.

Zen Headbutt is usually the better choice over Bullet Punch but BP is still a nice option if you're using a slower team that's lacking a proper revenge killer, since Fake Out + Bullet Punch does that quite nicely. It's also advisable to use it if you're weak to Mega Diancie.

Jolly is usually preferred since Medicham is in a crowded speed tier and Adamant is outsped by all the base 88+ speed mons who do use a positive speed nature, like Lando-T, Tapu Lele and Kyurem-Black. Adamant can still be used if these are not a threat to your team to boost your priority attacks' damage, but more often than not Jolly is still more useful since HJK and Ice Punch are still gonna be your main means of dealing damage.

Can Avalugg check SD Mawile? The strategy dex says it can check Mawile lacking iron head, but it is 2HKOed after a swords dance, and Avalugg fails to do 2/3 damage with earthquake (1/3 being done by 2 hits of rocky helmet). The situation gets worse for Avalugg if Mawile uses knock off, meaning it doesn't take damage on the second hit. Most Mawile sets are running swords dance and knock off.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Why do fast special attackers such as Mega Alakazam and Ash-Greninja run Timid over Modest?
Mainly because they're both so common that they do not want to be slower than either of each other, but also there are other Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny, Weavile, regular Greninja, etc. who are in similar areas speed wise and you do not want to be slower than any of them.

Can Avalugg check SD Mawile? The strategy dex says it can check Mawile lacking iron head, but it is 2HKOed after a swords dance, and Avalugg fails to do 2/3 damage with earthquake (1/3 being done by 2 hits of rocky helmet). The situation gets worse for Avalugg if Mawile uses knock off, meaning it doesn't take damage on the second hit. Most Mawile sets are running swords dance and knock off.
It can put it at a range of health in which a Mega Mawile cannot do a ton/1v1 much due to its inability to OHKO a lot of other walls and the fact that it will die to any hit afterwards, but it is true that Mega Mawile can potentially outlast an Avalugg if it gets an SD up on the switch-in, yes.

How was the opponent's magnezone able to attack before my keldeo?

So the match went like this. I started with keldo my opponent started with beedrill. I chose calm mind my opponent used uturn and switched to magnezone. I used focus blast, the opponent used thunderbolt, attacked first and made my keldo faint!

Bear in mind that i have choice scarf with 252+ on speed.

Am i missing something here?

So the match went like this. I started with keldo my opponent started with beedrill. I chose calm mind my opponent used uturn and switched to magnezone. I used focus blast, the opponent used thunderbolt, attacked first and made my keldo faint!

If you selected Calm Mind and then Focus Blast, you definitely weren't using Choice Scarf, which locks you into a single attack, and presumably the Magnezone was.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Nevermind that using Choice Scarf and Calm Mind is pretty bad unless you're purposely waiting for Knock Off fishes.

But yes the Magnezone was likely Scarf and highly doubting your Keldeo was since you switched attacks. The only other scenario is misremembering turns and moves and Knock Off was used instead at one point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)