Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Eh, it doesn't have to be play nice. They could be pulling another SM and giving every new mon either a unique ability or a signature move.
Highly doubt it's any kind of signature technique. Whenever a Pokemon has an element tailor-made for it, whether it be a move or ability, they give at least a basic overview of what it does when they reveal the Pokemon itself. That's what they've done so far for all the new abilities, as well as the G-Max Moves.

Pokemon seems to be really conservative in-terms of removing Pokemon. Maractus and Garbodor got in.

Hell, something I noticed. As of so far Unova is 2 behind Kanto for most confirmed Pokemon. This isn't including Bisharp and Mandibuzz who are basically certain to appear.

>removes mega evolutions with some alleged reason of it being better for the series in the long run
>just adds them again immediately with slightly different flavor
>removes Z moves, possibly the only piece of content being cut that most of the community was generally happy about
>adds them again immediately with slightly different flavor
I'm actually mad
Never in my life have I seen a developer so disconnected from their audience, and I'm not just talking about this community.

The designs are at least nice, though, and the ghost type gym leader is really cute.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

In an earlier post in this thread, I explained that GF most likely used 15 HP IVs and 0 HP EVs in Lycanroc-Dusk's trailer. Unsurprisingly (because they have no consistency in the characteristics of the Pokemon that they show...cmon), this is not the case with Duraludon. A Level 62 Pokemon with 15 IVs and 0 EVs in HP has 171 HP if it has base 73 HP, and 173 HP if it has base 74 HP. Thus, they did not use 15 IVs and 0 EVs.

If it has 0 IVs and EVs in HP: Then Duraludon has exactly base 81 HP.

If it has 31 IVs and 0 EVs in HP: This is impossible. Such a base 65 HP Pokemon would have 171 HP, while a base 66 HP Pokemon would have 173 HP.

If it has 20 IVs and 0 EVs in HP: Then Duraludon has exactly base 71 HP. I vaguely recall that GF might have used 20 IVs before, but then again (per the beginning of this post), that very well might be meaningless. This does help give a sense of the range, though.

Note that it cannot have more than base 81 HP, which some might find a bit disappointing. Because it's Level 62, it's possible it might have some HP EVs, but I think it's unlikely that it has so many HP EVs to make much of a difference. Therefore, its base HP is extremely likely to be between 66 and 81.

Also, do not jump too quickly to conclusions about this

because of this

Edit: See this post for and updated range of base HP

Last edited:
lso, do not jump too quickly to conclusions about this
What about Giant Cake and its supposedly high Defense?

"The cream pouring out of its body hardens when subjected to impacts—the stronger the impact, the harder it becomes. This gives Alcremie a truly impressive resistance to physical attacks."

I know Pokemon exaggerates like always when describing a Pokemon's bulk, but this is specifically calling out its ability to tank physical attacks. Is there any precedent for calling out specific attack categories, and have there been any "super durable" Pokemon that end up being frail?

What about Giant Cake and its supposedly high Defense?

"The cream pouring out of its body hardens when subjected to impacts—the stronger the impact, the harder it becomes. This gives Alcremie a truly impressive resistance to physical attacks."

I know Pokemon exaggerates like always when describing a Pokemon's bulk, but this is specifically calling out its ability to tank physical attacks. Is there any precedent for calling out specific attack categories, and have there been any "super durable" Pokemon that end up being frail?
They also describe Duraludon being able to move fast due to its light weight, but I think we all know about Escavalier "flying around at high speeds" and other such silly examples

They also describe Duraludon being able to move fast due to its light weight, but I think we all know about Escavalier "flying around at high speeds" and other such silly examples

I know. That's literally what the comment I was replying to was about. I was asking if there was any blatantly wrong descriptions of defenses, not speed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Game Freak, Pokemon Company, was there any reason you couldn't have released this Friday, Saturday, or yesterday?

International Video:
0:09:
Interesting there's multiple trainers coming out onto the field. Now, yes, this looks to be a cutscene where Rose is welcoming everyone to the start of The Gym Challenge, but something that happens in the Japanese Trailer makes this stand out more to me.
0:44: Oh, wow, the fan recreation on Youtube of the Gym Leader theme is spot on to how it actually sounds.

Japanese Video:
0:42:
Odd the international trailers took out the text boxes (and while this doesn't confirm there's no voice acting... well we hadn't heard any voices yet). Is there anything interesting being said?
1:07: And this was what I was talking about in the international trailer. Now we know from the demo (and the leak) that each Gym Leader has a puzzle for the player to go through and that has Gym Trainers. HOWEVER the Gym Trainers were in their normal clothes, but here this Gym Trainer has a uniform themed on the Gym. After we complete the puzzle could we then need to battle a few other Champion Cup competing trainers before challenging the Gym Leader? This would allow for more Dynamax/Gigantamax battles instead of it just being with the Gym Leaders (and let us have some with the Rivals).
1:19: Um, wait. Does anyone notice something about these Gyms? Like how they seem to exist in the SAME place? VERSION EXCLUSIVE GYMS?!
1:59: What's this music for? It sounds way more intense, possibly when facing the Gym Leader's final Pokemon?

With there being a batch of new content, best to go through one-by-one on the website:

STORY:
Uniform Numbers:
So the three numbers you see on everyone's uniform? They mean nothing. You can pick the three numbers you want to be on your uniform. So what will your number be? I guess you can't guess what mine is going to be ;).
BTW, remember when I mentioned the numbers of the Gym Leader's uniforms could be related to Japanese word pun? Well, I was right! It's called Goroawase, basically since Japan has all sorts of ways to pronounce numbers you can combine them together to make other words. Milo's "831" can be read as "yasai" which means "vegetables". Nessa's "049" is "oyagu" which means "to swim"; Bea's "193" is "ikusa" which means "fight", and Allister's "291" is "nikui" which means "hateful".

Already Endorsed: Leon has endorsed both you and Hop, so I guess the Gym Puzzles isn't about trying to get an endorsement (which I think would have been a neat way to justify having Gym Puzzles) but rather just a requirement to challenge the Gym Leader.

The Champion Cup: You know how in the anime, before taking on the Pokemon League, trainers who collected all eight Badges have to compete in a knockout tournament? Looks like that might be the case in Sword & Shield too! After completing The Gym Challenge you're then entered into The Champion Cup along with all the other trainers who did the same. Now this is really interesting as how are they going to handle things if the player loses a battle? But, hey, this is something I and many others personally had wanted to see done in the games at least once so this actually has me hyped!

Corporate Sponsors: I hope they actually tell us who all these sponsors are, would be neat to learn about all the different companies that exist in the Pokemon world and the products/services they offer.
I also wonder if this might be a mechanic. As we beat Gyms sponsors will approach us to have their logo on our uniform. And depending on which sponsors we support we get certain benefits like discounts on certain items in the PokeMart, discounts on certain services, given free gifts or money, etc.. We could even have to be forced to pick between rival sponsors and the one we don't pick will have a negative effect like an item/service being more expensive (okay, they probably wouldn't do that, but would certainly make your choices feel like they mattered if there's bad consequences connected to them).

CHARACTERS:
Chairman Rose & VP Oleana:

EVIL!
"Oh come on, you said the same thing about Leon!"
Leon is The Dragon, their "top enforcer" who acts as the charming face to distract everyone as whatever evil cooperation thing Rose and Oleana are doing is kept out of the public's eye.
Rose is the president of a large business conglomerate, how can they pass up him NOT being the big bad?
"Okay, then what evil thing are they doing?"
No clue. Well, it mentions Rose made the Galar League famous by implementing the Dynamax phenomenon, which is kind of shady if you think about it as it's something that's currently being studied so who knows what effects it's having on Pokemon subjected to it. It's as if a cooperation saw a way to exploit something to make quick money not caring about the long term effects on the affected individuals and the environment *COUGH*.
Outside of that don't really have anything to say about Rose or Oleana in particular. Rose is a businessman and Oleana is his sexy secretary.

Champion Leon: More info on Leon, though nothing that we didn't know from elsewhere or could have guessed. Leon became Champion after his first Gym Challenge and hasn't been beaten since... obvious set-up. However they do confirm his partner is Charizard. We'll talk more about that when we get to Gigantamaxing which is probably why his partner is Charizard.

Raihan: One of the screenshots on Leon's page has him talking to someone named Raihan, looking like he's ready to battle. The picture comes after mentioning you can watch broadcasts of Leon's Championship and exhibition matches. Does this also confirm there's a way for players to save battles they've had for later viewings like with the VS Recorder?

Version Exclusive Gym Leaders:
This is a surprise, mainly because it took them so long to do! Sure, in BW you battled either Iris or Drayden, but both ran the Dragon-type Gym and used the same team. But now we actually have two Gym Leaders of different Types! I wonder if they're going to address how parallel dimensions have two different Gym Leaders taking the same spot and if the other Gym Leader even exists. Easy way they could explain it is that they all exist but it's just that, since there's more possible Gym Leaders than Gyms, they compete against each other to see who gets to be Gym Leader this year. In this case, Bea beat Allister in Sword while the opposite happened in Shield. This way they can also let the player battle the other versions Gym Leader but just as a normal trainer/secret boss.

Bea:

How appropriate her name is Bea, as I'm sure many have already declared her their bae (or boo). :P
Century-old Galar karate... GameFreak, would it have killed you to find a more European fighting style? Like how about boxing, savate, wrestling, fencing, or stick fighting. Or since she uses Hitmontop make her expertise in dance fighting.
Also, there's some odd design choices going on here. She mostly looks fine, but you then notice her stomach and feet look a bit more realistically drawn. I get wanting to show she's in-shape by having her stomach and feet more muscular, but they end up looking like a different art style that clashes if you look too carefully. Maybe the 3D model will make things look better.

Allister:

Ah, the creepy masked kid, guess it was time Pokemon got one of them. Like how he has his glove on his left hand to mirror Bea's being on her right. Otherwise I don't really have anything to say as he's sounds like your typical character of this type: he's shy so he hides his face, rarley makes public appearances, hangs around ruins & cemeteries, etc.. Whether the game shows he has more depth or keeps him mysterious we'll have to see. Guess it's neat he uses a Mimikyu, though I'm going to guess it and Bea's Hitmontop aren't going to be their Dynamaxed Pokemon.

POKEMON:
Surprised they didn't tell us about Impidimp. BTW, the thread closed before it came out, but check out what the JAPE judges had to say on the Legednary Mascots, Yamper, and Impidimp!

Infact, another JAPE is on the way! Because of this, I'm not going to talk about Pokemon's-take-on-a-slime-girl Alcremie and Rolycoly Olie, but I will talk about the newest big boy:

Duraludon:

First off, what are you supposed to be? A futuristic castle tower? What's that red cannon on your head, can you fire from it? I'm just saying I think the concept of a Steel/Dragon could have been done more clearly and less blocky.
Going to guess it's a mighty glacier: slow, high Defense, good Attack. This looks like the final stage so maybe will have a prevo or two (though I don't think it's the pseudo Legendary, even if it competes with Tyranitar; though I have the sudden feeling the Aron family might not be in Galar).
It having both Light Metal and Heavy Metal is strange, and a bit pointless. Why? Because there's no reason not to have Heavy Metal. With Heavy Metal it increases the Power of STAB Heavy Slam. Only benefit from Light Metal is less damage from Low Kick, woo hoo. Unless they add something to the Abilities to make them better or do more with the weight mechanic, these are disappointing Abilities.
It mentions its body is weak to corrosion and rust easily. While could be flavor text, actually probably is, I have always thought that it would be neat if the acid-based Poison moves (Acid, Acid Spray) were actually super effective against Steel- and Rock-types, like how Ice-Type Freeze-Dry is super effective against Water. Just a random thought.

Version Exclusives: Deino & Jangmo-o are confirmed for Sword while Larvitar & Goomy confirmed for Shield. All of them are good so I guess there's no downside here really, maybe Shield slightly gets the better deal as Larvitar and Goomy don't share Types (and aren't quad weak to Fairy).

MECHANICS:
Gigantamax:
And here it is, what we've all been waiting for. And after reading about it, I have this to say: Thanks Game Freak, I HATE it!

I just don't get it. I don't get Game Freak. Game Freak didn't like Mega Evolutions because it was limited to only final stage Pokemon, okay. In response they made Z-Moves which all Pokemon can use, fine. And then they also made Pokemon specific Z-Moves, wait what? Like, sure, all Pokemon can use Z-Moves, but making ones that are specific to certain species of Pokemon feels like it's going back on your complaint that with Mega Evolution certain Pokemon were getting special treatment by giving them more powerful tools other Pokemon don't have.

But Megas and Z-Moves are no more, now we have Dynamax that everyone Pokemon can use, fine once again. And then you introduced Gigantamax which is not only limited to certain species but even within the species only certain individuals can use it! YOU MADE THE PROBLEM EVEN WORSE! And you keep making it worse by giving them a super powerful exclusive move! Oh, and the only way to get one is a very rare chance through Max Raid Battles where only ONE of the four Trainers can catch it. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?! Are they purposely trying to alienate players? I can't imagine anyone liking this.

I'm going to end this post on a positive note. As mentioned above, Leon's partner is Charizard. So, much like how Diantha's partner was an older generation Pokemon because it got a Mega Evolution, one would then assume Charizard is getting a Gigantamax form. But, maybe, just maybe, and if they do I'll give them kudos for a change, they'll reveal that while the Mega Pokemon mechanic are gone the Pokemon who had Mega Evos will now have them as their Gigantamax form. It would be an easy way give more Pokemon Gigantamax forms and show they're not just throwing out good ideas. In addition this would also mean that some if not all the new Gigantamax forms could be brought back as Mega Evolutions or whatnot later. It could also give some world building, that these forms are the Pokemon's "super forms" and a Pokemon can access these forms in various ways be it Mega Evolution, Pokken's Synergy Burst, Master's Sync Moves, and now Gigantamaxing. Of course, there is the issue of Charizard having two Mega Evolutions so how about we just call it here and see what happens.

Aren't Dynamaxed moves flat out better than Z-moves for the most part? I feel like it kind of overshadows them since a Z-move can only be used once and maxed moves can be used for 3 turns. Z status moves do have unique effects that max moves don't replicate though. I feel like newly introduced mechanics should have their own unique flair to them without overshadowing a previous one but that seems to be the case here.

Nonetheless I think that Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing is a cool mechanic. The issue I have with it now is it's limitations. If it's usable in Wifi battles it probably won't have much utility since it only lasts 3 turns which means things like Sub+Protect can easily dance around it. I'd prefer if pokemon reverted after something like using all of the PP on their max moves and limiting the PP on max moves to something like 5 or even lower to balance it out.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Aren't Dynamaxed moves flat out better than Z-moves for the most part? I feel like it kind of overshadows them since a Z-move can only be used once and maxed moves can be used for 3 turns. Z status moves do have unique effects that max moves don't replicate though. I feel like newly introduced mechanics should have their own unique flair to them without overshadowing a previous one but that seems to be the case here.

Nonetheless I think that Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing is a cool mechanic. The issue I have with it now is it's limitations. If it's usable in Wifi battles it probably won't have much utility since it only lasts 3 turns which means things like Sub+Protect can easily dance around it. I'd prefer if pokemon reverted after something like using all of the PP on their max moves and limiting the PP on max moves to something like 5 or even lower to balance it out.
Max Moves cap out at around 130 BP while Z Moves can go to 200, so I don't think they're flat out better to any degree

Max Moves cap out at around 130 BP while Z Moves can go to 200, so I don't think they're flat out better to any degree
Is there anything that confirms that? Like if a mon has Close Combat or something, the maxed version of that would only be around 130 BP? I thought it followed a formula for boosting a moves power similar to Z-moves.

There are moves that pokemon that would naturally be above 130 BP like Overheat, Focus Punch etc. Naturally I would think the max moves created from those would be boosted proportionately.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Hot take: In spite of all the whining about GF pandering to the genwunner bogeyman, I think Charizard as Leon's ace is a perfect choice.

SWSH have seemingly gone through great lengths to make the Pokemon League look like a huge commercialized sporting event in Galar. Gym Leaders with huge stadiums and sponsors on their outfits, heavily televized league matches, so on and so forth. At the center of all of this is Leon himself, who looks like the greatest showman out of any champion thus far, decked out with a tacky cape, sponsors and a massive presence in Galar's culture, almost like a big soccer player irl. He's a big star, and he's gotta show off his stature. What better choice than a hugely popular Pokemon, especially among children, who could be attracted to said popular foreign Pokemon and increase stadium ticket sales or boost the ratings of his matches on TV?

Last edited:
Hot take: In spite of all the whining about GF pandering to the genwunner bogeyman, I think Charizard as Leon's ace is a perfect choice.

SWSH have seemingly gone through great lengths to make the Pokemon League look like a huge commercialized sporting event in Galar. Gym Leaders with huge stadiums and sponsors on their outfits, heavily televized league matches, so on and so forth. At the center of all of this is Leon himself, who looks like the greatest showman out of any champion thus far, decked out with a tacky cape, sponsors and a massive presence in Galar's culture, almost like a big soccer player irl. He's a big star, and he's gotta show off his stature. What better choice than a hugely popular Pokemon, especially among children, who could be attracted to said popular foreign Pokemon and buy stadium ticket sales or boost the ratings of his matches on TV?
I was excited for the possibility of Mega Zard being the Champ's Ace because it's actually a very threatening Pokémon and would surely pose a challenge but then that got thrown out the window so I'm back to being disappointed.

Pikachu315111 Normally I'd agree with your opinion on Duralodon's abilities, since Heavy Metal would buff its Heavy Slam. In this case, there's one glaring problem: It only weights 88 pounds (~40 kg). Even with Heavy Metal, it's way too light to deal any serious damage so it's better off using Light Metal to take less from Low Kick and Grass Knot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've all established that, due to various examples that I will not rehash, Gamefreak seems to be going about this new game in a sort of lazy way that isn't appeasing the community. Why could that be?

Honestly, I think they aren't interested in making money from the games anymore. To elaborate, here's something from the wiki:

Pokémon is a media franchise owned by Nintendo, created in 1995 and debuted in 1996. It is the highest-grossing entertainment media franchise of all time, having grossed $90 billion in lifetime revenue.

In terms of software sales, Pokemon is the second best-selling game franchise, having sold over 340 million units as of March 2019,[1] behind only Mario. In addition, Pokémon Go is the most-downloaded mobile game, with over 1 billion downloads.[2] The Pokémon video game series has shifted a total of over 1.31 billion units in retail sales and official downloads.

Beyond video games, the Pokémon Trading Card Game has also sold over 25.7 billion cards,[3] making it the second best-selling trading card game, after Yu-Gi-Oh![4] The Pokémon anime series is also very successful, with the films watched by over 70 million viewers at the Japan box office, and the television series watched by more than 1 billion viewers across 124 countries.

When we look at the actual gross sales for the main series games, they made (assuming I read it correctly) about 13.7 billion dollars in the past 22 years. Pretty good, obviously.

However, that's actually a surprisingly small piece of the overall Pokemon revenue, which is 90 billion dollars. That means only about 15% of Pokemon's profit, over 22 years, is from the games. Most of it comes from merchandise. Even Pokemon GO, the most downloaded mobile game of all time, made 3.3 billion dollars. Compare this to the 3.5 billion dollars in sales from the combination of all of gen 5, 6, and 7. The collective effort of a decade by Gamefreak's devs has almost been surpassed by 2 (at the time this was recorded) years' worth of Niantic's work. For the devs, it has to be pretty disappointing, maybe enough to make them lose interest in maintaining the main series games.

...Last September Gamefreak started working on a new game, an RPG centered around defending a town from monsters, called TOWN (working title). Honestly, I think they're more interested in this new project than gen 8. If 85% of Pokemon's sales come from things not related to the main series games and they know dedicated fans will still buy a mediocre game on the Switch, then why bother making it a masterpiece when they can put their heart into something else they like more? I have to wonder how much Gamefreak, and The Pokemon Company as a whole (co-owned by Gamefreak, Nintendo, and some other entity), really care about this new game.

Thanks to coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:
I think Zard being Leon's ace and getting Gigantamax (which I see is inevitable at this point) is controversial by itself. It won't change the backlash whether Zard gets new G-forme or reuses its Mega.

If they reuse Megas, then we see Game Freak is lazy and exacerbating another problem.
If they make new model, then we see GF just throws out good ideas from past gens and make a new gimmick just to have it thrown out next generation.
Oh well, the way they do this is suicidal to begin with.

Then again, yeah, kids and basic nostalgia peeps won't care anyway. Market-wise, it is a sound move, even if there are very vocal fans sick with this KANTOOOOOOOOOOO pandering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)