You've talked about good and bad moments, but what about your weirdest?

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
There's plenty of discussion about people's best and worst moments respectively in the Pokémon games on the Inter-Web as I like to call it. The following is especially true for the forums here. See, I've been looking for a fresh idea for a thread for a while now, to pass the time until my biggest idea to date is ready for release, and I had remembered that many of my thread ideas already have existing threads here that have been long forgotten and quite frankly should be revived in my opinion. From Shiny discussions to makeshift Tier Lists and everything in between, I had a lot of fun but taken ideas. But then I settled in on something pretty weird. Quite literally.

Having finally gotten my tablet fixed for easier communication (I used my freaking Wii U browser for 36 STRAIGHT DAYS, IT WAS A NIGHTMARE) and having been thinking about my weirdest moments a lot lately, I decided to start up a discussion about an admittedly fresh topic like this. Think of it this way. We all have had our weird and confusing moments that have left us scratching our heads like a bunch of Psyducks with headaches. I'm making this discussion to focus around these kinds of moments and other strange series of events over time, such as one I plan on sharing that's shaken me for over eight years now. More on that if you're interested. Just ask me in person in your post.

So yeah, not much else to say here. Good moments, bad moments, and I'm strangely fascinated by the weird moments of all things. I'll try to stop sounding really complicated and/or stupid now, so without further ado, let's start the discussion assuming mods and higher ups are okay with it. (I love casual discussion threads and they need more attention uwu)

Edit: This is just my way of starting a discussion. I know it's strange and unorganized and weird. Just treat it like a normal chat. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't say it's "weird" but it's interesting I suppose. Years ago when I was in middle school I was playing Diamond and encountered a shiny Zubat. It was my first shiny and I didn't even know shiny Pokemon existed. Fast forward to 2016 my nephew is playing Alpha Sapphire and while inside Sky Pillar he encounters his first ever shiny, which is a Golbat. I found it pretty funny that both of our first shinies were from the same evolutionary line, then fast foward again 2 years later and I encounter a shiny Golbat in Ultra Moon. The fact that my first shiny was a Zubat, his was a Golbat, then I myself encounter a shiny Golbat afterwards left me speechless. Still intrigued by that to this day :p

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I wouldn't say it's "weird" but it's interesting I suppose. Years ago when I was in middle school I was playing Diamond and encountered a shiny Zubat. It was my first shiny and I didn't even know shiny Pokemon existed. Fast forward to 2016 my nephew is playing Alpha Sapphire and while inside Sky Pillar he encounters his first ever shiny, which is a Golbat. I found it pretty funny that both of our first shinies were from the same evolutionary line, then fast foward again 2 years later and I encounter a shiny Golbat in Ultra Moon. The fact that my first shiny was a Zubat, his was a Golbat, then I myself encounter a shiny Golbat afterwards left me speechless. Still intrigued by that to this day :p
Huh. Well, I'll be darned. These are the kinds of events that fascinate me the most: things that happen over time and all come together as smaller pieces of one giant picture. Imo these events definitely count as weird. And you know...that thing I was talking about is actually pretty similar in this regard. You see now, I have a very strange connection with a certain Pokémon game. Over the years, I've found tons of strange coincidences that line up perfectly with my childhood. The more I think about it...the more everything lines up...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have a somewhat similar but less extreme experience. Within the span of a week I encountered two wild Shiny Clefairy in my White 2 version in the Giant Chasm. Infact it was also in my White 2 where I got my Shiny Seviper just before Gen VI came out. I usually don't encounter Shinys a whole lot so it's surprising I not only starting getting a batch but the first two were Shiny Clefairy within the same week.

I have a somewhat similar but less extreme experience. Within the span of a week I encountered two wild Shiny Clefairy in my White 2 version in the Giant Chasm. Infact it was also in my White 2 where I got my Shiny Seviper just before Gen VI came out. I usually don't encounter Shinys a whole lot so it's surprising I not only starting getting a batch but the first two were Shiny Clefairy within the same week.
I’ve also had a similar experience, since both my shiny Geodudes (one in Diamond before my first gym badge and one in HG) were from the same generation of games.

When BW2 came out, my friend found a shiny Patrat as literally his first encounter after obtaining Pokeballs. A few weeks later, I'm replaying Black 1 and the first Purrloin I see on that save file is a shiny.

I don't remember all the exact details, but I have a moment from my childhood that I want to share. I was hanging out with a friend and I was playing one of his Johto games - Gold or Silver, don't remember which one it was and it doesn't really matter. I was in the route above Olivine, I don't think I was doing anything special, just fooling around. I encountered a wild Pokémon, don't remember exactly what it was, just some random crapmon. But I decided to joke with my friend a little, so I told him: "I met Raikou!" And he fell for it, but he didn't find it very funny. I continued playing, encountered a few more wild Pokémon, and after just a few more encounters, I actually met Raikou! I don't remember what we tried to do with it, but we did at least not manage to catch it. I think that my friend hadn't encountered any of the legendary beasts in the game before this, so it was quite surprising when I met one of them just like that. I continued playing, I think I went into Ecruteak and then out to the routes west of it again. Encountered a few more wild Pokémon and now I met Entei! We did of course not manage to catch it either. I continued playing, I think I went into either Olivine or Ecruteak again, encountered a few more wild Pokémon, and now I met Suicune! Like with the others, we didn't catch it. I don't remember exactly what happened afterwards, but I think I encountered Raikou once more before we stopped playing. So that was a very weird situation, and I'd say it is my weirdest Pokémon memory.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
(My notifications weren't working right so I missed half of these until now, sorry)

Well I might as well share mine now. This is an example of that weird sequence of events I can't really explain. These, in my eyes, are much more interesting that weird individual moments. Let me take you the world of spinoff games. Trust me, you'll understand once I tell you what's going on here. This is kinda freaky.

So my first spinoff I had ever played growing up was the third game in the Pokémon Ranger series, being Guardian Signs. Not many people talk about it because they mostly prefer the first two games. Anyway, as crazy as this sounds, I've been able to trace multiple things in that game back to...myself? In other words, I'm convinced that somehow, I'm related to this game somehow.

"But bdt2002, how the heck does that make any sense? It's a freaking DS game." Questions like those are excellent questions. But just read this list of strange coincidences. At this point, there's so many it's honestly kinda creepy.

1. The male protagonist has the same name as me (I'm a guy)
2. The female protagonist just happens to have the same name as the season I was born within
3. In the anime special for the game he uses a Feraligatr as his go-to partner with the Ranger sign (Feraligatr is my all time favorite Pokémon)
4. The region the game takes place in (Oblivia) uses a resort style theme, a theme many friends of mine know I'm always a fan of
5. For some reason, a Pokémon I always hated growing up (Kingdra) is placed in very specific locations throughout the game
6. I probably missed something-

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Another memory I had: how about an odd glitch I once encountered?

Playing my young cousins SoulSilver to help him progress as he was having problems knowing where to go. I got into a battle, it does the animation where it shows the trainers facing each other and the opposing trainer's amount of Pokemon appear next to them. But the "party bar" just didn't slide in, they made it so the Poke Balls representing on the amount of Pokemon they had on it also spin as it slid in. Well, the bar slide in... and the Poke Balls kept spinning in place. And then nothing else. The game seemed to have gotten "stuck", it was waiting for the Poke Balls to stop spinning before doing anything else. My trainer never sent out their Pokemon, but the music kept playing just fine.

I soft restarted the game and everything was fine, I battled that trainer again and that glitch didn't happen. Such a weird glitch, especially since I didn't think something like that could happen, I'm used to glitches involving the Pokemon battles or the overworld, never the introductory animations of a battle, lol!

Another memory I had: how about an odd glitch I once encountered?

Playing my young cousins SoulSilver to help him progress as he was having problems knowing where to go. I got into a battle, it does the animation where it shows the trainers facing each other and the opposing trainer's amount of Pokemon appear next to them. But the "party bar" just didn't slide in, they made it so the Poke Balls representing on the amount of Pokemon they had on it also spin as it slid in. Well, the bar slide in... and the Poke Balls kept spinning in place. And then nothing else. The game seemed to have gotten "stuck", it was waiting for the Poke Balls to stop spinning before doing anything else. My trainer never sent out their Pokemon, but the music kept playing just fine.

I soft restarted the game and everything was fine, I battled that trainer again and that glitch didn't happen. Such a weird glitch, especially since I didn't think something like that could happen, I'm used to glitches involving the Pokemon battles or the overworld, never the introductory animations of a battle, lol!
That "glitch" is actually the game's anti-piracy function triggering. (It does that when a trainer battle is started)

Somehow you got the game to think it was pirated that one time.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That "glitch" is actually the game's anti-piracy function triggering. (It does that when a trainer battle is started)

Somehow you got the game to think it was pirated that one time.
Oh, wow, didn't know that (like I know HGSS streamers have problems because another anti-piracy function is Pokemon don't gain experience). Though I can guarantee that what my cousin had was a legit copy so I guess my story was more weirder than I thought, lol.

I played the 3rd generetaion mostly on emulator, since I never bought a GBA. That said, my "shiny luck" in those games was kind of weird. When I played Sapphire, I got a Shiny Zigzagoon at Verdanturf Forest. Later in the game, I caught a Shiny Linoone outside the Safari Zone.
When playing Fire Red, I got a shiny Mankey before the first optional battle against the rival (i.e., before the first badge, his team was his starter and Pidgey).
Later, when I first played Emerald, I got a shiny Lotad and a shiny Whismur the same day, just after becoming champion for the first time!

Playing Pokemon Crystal with my friends and I got to the part where you can catch Suicune. So, I watched the cutscene where Entei and Raikou ran off and then caught Suicune. Then, not long afterwards, I encountered Entei and Raikou in the wild. I made a conclusion that Raikou and Entei can only be captured after you caught Suicune because of this.

Then, my friend told me he caught Raikou earlier so when he went for the Suicune quest, only Entei and Suicune were present in Tin Tower. I disbelieved him because I somehow believed that "Game Freak wouldn't program a few different cutscenes for this". It was not until years later when I replayed Crystal that I realised he was telling the truth all along.

There was a time where I was breeding Sandile for one of those online tournaments in SM. My breeding attempts ended when I got two different 31/31/31/x/31/31 Sandile with the same IVs and gender, but different ability. Really neat, but left me quite puzzled... after all, what are the chances? And mind you, I stop taking eggs as soon as I get the one I wanted.

And I think I mentioned this one already, but anyways... there was a time back during 2000 or 2001, where young me could only play Pokémon through emulators, and got a Pokémon Silver ROM. Until that, it was amazing, but I quickly realized it was a very poor translation from the japanese version... and I gave up after getting stuck because I didn't know I had to take Togepi's egg.

Fast-forward 10 years or so, and my brother was given in his work an old Game Boy Color (whose speaker didn't work) and two cartridges - one of them of Pokémon Silver. Since younger me was still only able to play Pokémon on an emulator, this was actually my first time playing it on an actual console. Fantastic, isn't it? Even if the battery was long dead, it was still a new experience to me, so I inserted the cartridge and started playing.

Not long after the beginning, I noticed the text was... off, stating things that were not only gramatically wrong but also factually wrong. Some names were wrong and they were always 5 letters long at best. Suddenly, realization struck me - it was the same very poor translation I had played on an emulator long before, except on a cartridge. I still can't believe it.

Last edited:
i was messing around on a black rom; i had previously enabled a shiny code, but then turned it off. later, i was going to the person that you get the magikarp from and SRing for a nature. after a couple of SRs, it was a shiny magikarp, not 5 minutes after i had turned off the shiny code. bad nature + who cares about red gyarados, so i just reset again, but it was definitely a "heh wtf" moment for me.

not as impressive as some of the stories in here (siggu's made me chuckle) but thats what i got

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been learning arbitrary code execution (ACE) and a couple weeks ago, in Crystal, I accidentally changed my gender from female to male. I must have had the code out of order. Luckily I had made a backup sav, because I really screwed stuff up after that.

I've been learning arbitrary code execution (ACE) and a couple weeks ago, in Crystal, I accidentally changed my gender from female to male. I must have had the code out of order. Luckily I had made a backup sav, because I really screwed stuff up after that.
Reminds me of Pikasprey, who accidentally swapped the gender of his character by using a walk-through-walls cheat.

At least you didn't erase your savegame due to pressing A on the wrong item. Twice. On the Virtual Console so you cannot savestate or fastforward out of it.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At least you didn't erase your savegame due to pressing A on the wrong item. Twice. On the Virtual Console so you cannot savestate or fastforward out of it.
Yikes, sorry to hear that dude. I use virtual console but installed [redacted], so I back up my sav every time I do something new ACE related.

On that note, GS ACE using coin case / wrong pocket TM 25 works perfectly on VC, but I haven't gotten TM 17 to work on Crystal.

Probably one of the weirdest things that happened was me running into wild Wartortles in Pokémon Platinum. I only had an R4 Chip at the time (a device that let you pay ROMs inside with your DS), so I guess that’s why it happened, but it was still so weird.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bit more mundane but in platinum in a mansion there's a battle with five Clefairy trainers consecutively, which I entered leading a paralyzed and severely overlevelled infernape

To my utter disbelief, and strict counting once it began, I was fully paralyzed on 32/34 turns in a row over the course of the first three Clefairy trainers

Almost certainly the most implausible RNG sequence I've ever seen

So i was playing lets go pikachu and i battle Beauty Aubrey and her metronome Clefairy. I 2HKO said Clefairy with thunderbolt on a Clefable. In the middle of two turns metronome used thunderbolt. So its a thunder bolt fight with Clefairy vs Clefable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)