Online Competition Ultra Final (Last PGL competition - get another Shiny Koko)

As we get ready to end the USUM era and move on to SwSh, they're giving us one last competition to let it all out. Unlike the No Holds Barred series, which still put bans on a bunch of box legends, this time they really mean it. This is truly Anything Goes/rando wifi battles with No Restrictions, in Battle Spot Singles form. Primal Groudon, Mega Rayquaza, or a 6-Arceus team? Go right ahead.
  • No species clause, no item clause, no banned species
  • Normal legality checks still apply; this isn't Hackmons
  • Bring-6, pick-3 singles
  • 10 minute "Your Time", 30 second max per turn
  • Everything auto-levels to 50, no matter whether it is above or below that. No level 1 strategies.
  • Registration window opens September 26/27 and lasts a week, then the battle window starts at the end of that (so it's held over the first weekend of October, as opposed to the more traditional timing of the last weekend of a month). Sign-up guide here.
The participation prize kicks in at 1 battle instead of 3, and is a shiny Tapu Koko. I have reason to believe that it'll be like the International Challenge gifts, and hence not nature-locked this time. A bit late to really do anything with it, but if so it means Koko will finally be on an even level with the others, and you can use the shiny without automatically allowing an astute player to know what nature you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to run my ag teams

Smashpass might be fun. New interesting Metagame, would like to see how it goes.

rom1: webs Bibarel
rom2: ??

If any would-be entrants are missing some mons, I'll probably be available on the weekends (EU time) to hand out "dupes" via PM just like during the run-up to No Holds Barred 18 and Spooky Cup. Also do get on the battlespot Ultra Final discord for discussion and trades.

A successful stat-buffed Baton Pass would be devastating in this meta if it could go off. But is Eevee’s Extreme Evoboost susceptible to Taunt?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
A successful stat-buffed Baton Pass would be devastating in this meta if it could go off. But is Eevee’s Extreme Evoboost susceptible to Taunt?
The initial Extreme Evoboost won't be slowed by Taunt, but the follow up Baton Pass will. I imagine Eevee will be challenging to use in a format where mostly everything can outspeed and OHKO it, and since it's bring 6, pick 3, it's nearly impossible to do a full Baton Pass chain to help Eevee out.

Are there any thoughts on a VR for this? I don't get on Discord much if at all, so would be interested to see how this stacks up.

Thanks in advance!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are there any thoughts on a VR for this? I don't get on Discord much if at all, so would be interested to see how this stacks up.

Thanks in advance!
It’s way too soon to say much, the format has been on Showdown for only 4 days and has been pretty quiet up until now (I plan to advertise it on Smogon’s twitter soon™. A news post on PS will be up ASAP as well). Once any sort of metagame is able to form we’ll talk more about it.

The immediate threats seems to be various Arceus formes (Fairy and Water are particularly prominent), Primal Groudon, Mega Rayquaza, and Dusk Mane Ultra Necrozma (or even non-Ultra sets). Marshadow is super underwhelming compared to previous competitions as the massive increase in general bulk to deal with means it hardly sweeps, but it still deals with set-up strategies decently if you can save it’s sash by keeping rocks off the field. Mega Diancie is really nice too from the little testing of it I’ve done (especially the Sub-Endeavor set).

The removal of species clause makes it particularly hard to nail down a VR list. A lot of things are just not viable due to a lot of people running 3+ Arceus with Primals and a dedicated (anti) lead lol.

The removal of species clause makes it particularly hard to nail down a VR list. A lot of things are just not viable due to a lot of people running 3+ Arceus with Primals and a dedicated (anti) lead lol.
What are some of the better leads / anti leads you saw? I was considering Smeargle, Darkrai, Mega Mewtwo X myself; but I haven't committed to anything yet.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 5.15.19 PM.png

So yeah, it turns out this is actually level 100, not level 50. (The Japanese websites consistently say level 100, and the last time this happened, the Japanese sites were right and the English sites were a translation mistake.) Thanks, TPCi. :|

Not a single clue what to run. Maybe Zeraora because I've never had a chance to use it and it would be nice to dust it off? Can it be viable somehow?

Heck, will also bust out a Perish-trap Sap Sipper Azumarill because never used that before either and it's cute.

Other than that, give me inspiration please :D

Showdown has an Anything Goes room, if you want to see what they're talking about there (since this is basically AG except you have to bench half your team at the start of each battle). You can also spectate any public AG games that may be going on to seek out ideas, either for serious teams or meme teams.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Or bring them to the battle spot room :psysly:

Not a single clue what to run. Maybe Zeraora because I've never had a chance to use it and it would be nice to dust it off? Can it be viable somehow?
I used Zeraora in the Ultra No Holds Barred comp and it was okay. It really needs Spikes support though. I was using Z Work Up and it still failed to KO stuff, most notably Zygarde with HP Ice. It’s going to struggle even more here with Arceus and Primal Groudon existing. But if you’re just playing for fun it should be fine.

Heck, will also bust out a Perish-trap Sap Sipper Azumarill because never used that before either and it's cute.

Other than that, give me inspiration please :D
This will be outright bad :(

I've been trying out:
Shuckle (standard Sticky Web Battle Spot lead with Mental Herb but 252 Def +)
Primal Groudon (Adamant Stealth Rock + SD with Rock Tomb)
Yveltal (Mild Life Orb with Taunt and Sucker Punch)
Ultra Necrozma (Swords Dance with Sunsteel Strike and Dusk Mane base)
Arceus-Fairy (Max Speed Timid Calm Mind with Earth Power)
Mega Rayquaza (Jolly Life Orb Dragon Dance with Earthquake)

Mostly standard Smogon sets, though my Groudon is pretty fast. Still haven't made it very high on the ladder but I'll give initial impressions. Nothing too surprising

Ultra Necrozma with a Dusk Mane base is incredible, as usual. The Steel typing for setup and the speed from the Ultra Burst make a potent combo. A Dark-type Taunt user in Yveltal is nice for Prankster and opposing Psychic types; haven't used Sucker Punch much yet so I might swap it out. It makes a good anti-lead. Groudon is a good lead when I don't want to bring Shuckle and is generally strong. Arceus-Fairy is good against opposing Yveltal and can deal with Marshadow (though I haven't seen many Marshadow).

Shuckle and Mega Rayquaza seem to be the members I bring the least often, though Groudon and Yveltal especially like Webs if most of the other team is grounded. Ribombee might be better, as I feel like the greater offensive presence and speed there is nice. Mega Rayquaza seems somewhat redundant with Ultra Necrozma as a fast, powerful attacker. It just seems a little frail to set up easily, especially being slower than Ultra Necrozma.

Might go speed-boosting nature on Yveltal and swap Sucker Punch for something else, maybe Foul Play or Toxic. Swapping Shuckle for Ribombee might also happen; Smeargle feels like it would be just as dead weight as Shuckle, and I don't think Araquanid would fair particularly well. Not sure what to do about Rayquaza; I might just leave it as is. A better Celesteela answer could be good in this slot; I might try out Zekrom, since it can deal with Kyogre pretty well too.

Edit: Sash Tapu Koko seems like another possible option, maybe Taunt/Dazzling Gleam/Volt Switch/Thunder(bolt)? Totally walled by Groudon, though.

Last edited:
Showdown has an Anything Goes room, if you want to see what they're talking about there (since this is basically AG except you have to bench half your team at the start of each battle). You can also spectate any public AG games that may be going on to seek out ideas, either for serious teams or meme teams.
I did check this out. Mostly unhelpful spam and banter :/

What are some good entry hazard setters in AG? Ferrothorn? Deoxys S? Klefki? Skarmory? Scolipede?

Last edited:
I did check this out. Mostly unhelpful spam and banter :/

What are some good entry hazard setters in AG? Ferrothorn? Deoxys S? Klefki? Skarmory? Scolipede?
Primal Groudon, Deoxys, Dialga, Arceus, Dusk Mane Necrozma are a few good ubers setters. Shuckle and Smeargle have niches due to the hazards they set. And Ferrothorn is pretty solid since it also checks Primal Kyogre, which partners pretty amazingly with Mega Rayquaza.

I usually manage to come up with a pretty solid team, but for this one it seems tough. There are a lot of beasts that can use a myriad of very strong sets and you can't really expect to deal with them reliably with only 3 pokemon, it feels like a coin toss a little too often. Although I never really played AG so it might just be that I lack experience.
The teams that work the best for me seem to be the most gimmicky ones :psyduck:

I am also haven't any idea what to bring. On showdown the ultra final is nearly never played and on AG are way too often curious teams like 6x Umbreon xD

I've mainly used Smogon dex entries like the AG Mega Rayquaza one to see what I need to check it and its common teammates. I was hoping there would be a few more Japanese players labbing on the free battle spot since showdown is kinda dead for the competition, but I really haven't ran into anyone who knew what they were doing.

Yeah I’ve struggled to find battles on the ultra final showdown. And when I do find battles, half of them are gimmicky or novelty teams using silly stuff like Chatot and Sawsbuck and Rapidash.

Having said that, I’m getting an idea of what things work and what the common threats are.

How often are you seeing Xerneas pop up?
I have a proven hard counter to it that wins the game when I switch it in, but I’m not sure how often it will be needed because it doesn’t achieve that much else...

Things that I’m loving in my team (without giving too much away):
Yveltal
Jirachi
Arceus Grass

Things I’m unsure about still:
Scarf or Z Geomancy Xerneas
Arceus Ground
Curse Ho-Oh
Big Boss Zygarde Complete
Mega Diancie (it’s very frail but it’s a great lead)
Giratina O

Biggest threat I’m finding is Dusk Mane Necrozma/Ultra Necrozma. It’s everywhere. Second would be Mega Rayquaza but it’s easier to play around I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)