Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Or you can change the stats without changing the nature. I mean look at hyper training; changing your "IVs" doesnt mess with the pokemon characteristics. That way the Pokemons personality is kept in check and we have the full competitive benefit

Umm i donr get this reaction, as someone who also plays with multiple pokemon per team. That just means its easier to level out exp with everyone
level limits, also with multiple pokemon you're not getting your whole team close to each other without rotating, if you try to rotate weaker pokemon it'll be hard to not overlevel your stronger ones without turning off the Exp. Share which you can no longer do

Or just you know, rotate the strong ones out...thats what i did in lets go which also had perma exp.share. i rotated about 12 mons and made sure they met a level threshold before continuing.

Also its not confirmed if the expshare has no toggle, i doubt it wont.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WOW, and here I thought we'd have a news drought before the livestream! Well, my first quick thoughts from just reading the GameInformer articles & Serebii's reports:

Cover Reveal - General Overview:
So according to this overview article for the entire month they'll be updating their coverage hub throughout the month. They promise insights about how the game was made, why they picked UK to base Galar on, Dexit, and plenty of interviews and questions. We'll see if anything enticing is revealed. Though considering it's October it's interesting they aren't doing a more Halloween-y theme (though they'll also have articles for Catherine & Persona. Also Shenmue III, though only thing scary about that game is it's PR disasters). And of course the magazine itself will probably have information they won't put on the site... and soon be just reprinted on the internet but hey that's at least one issue sold.

Max Raids Are Pokemon's Most Challenging Encounters:
* The idea for "Max Raids" existed before Pokemon Go, but Go's popularity and ease of accessing them inspired GF to make the Raids similar to Go's.
* Obvious, but not all Raids are created equal. Though they didn't go in how, some Raids will be challenging than others. I'm going to guess it'll probably not only be the Pokemon but also their Moves & Abilities.
* Raids are rated 1 to 5 stars, 1 being easy and 5 difficult. Honestly would rather have a "Recommended Level" number than stars as just having five stars to determine difficulty feels a bit obtuse. Like I could do a batch of 2 stars feeling like I could do a 3 star, then getting creamed because turns out the level difference between 2 and 3 for that challenge was 20 levels (this is, of course, an extreme example).
* OTHER THOUGHTS: Now, are Raids difficult because of "honest difficulty" as in the Raid Pokemon uses a tricky strategy and strong moves or is it "cheap difficulty" where it has tons of HP & stat increases from the start? Also they hopefully put some of that difficulty into the Champion Cup battles and Rivals.

Autosaves (And Turning It Off):
* Sounds like the reason they introduced autosaves was because they wanted the Surprise Trades going on in the background instead of you having to take time out like with Wonder Trade. They wanted to focus on a seamless playing experience. That said, other then after a Surprise Trade, they don't say how often or any other flags that trigger an autosave.
* But thankfully, we can turn it off. However Ohmori than goes into some odd explanation how the Switch is more complicated to turn off (probably referencing how one reason players would want autosaves is so they can soft reset during Legendary battles). But the odd thing about that is we don't need to turn off the Switch, just turn/off restart the game program. Infact, all games up until LGPE had a button combination you could do that would restart the game. It kind of feels like it's not that they couldn't make soft resetting easy, but they don't want to and sort of pushing/discouraging manual saves because they REALLY want to show off how seamless the autosave is. Hopefully the game will save your choice to turn off autosaves and you don't have to keep turning it off when you start the game back-up or it turns itself back on after a while.
* OTHER THOUGHTS: Also seamless autosaves don't feel that impressive when you've gotten the manual saves you happen within a few seconds. Like I get the autosaves are needed for the Surprise Trades, but the only other time I would want to save the game was after a major event or I was about to turn off the game for the day so I probably was already taking a few seconds to plan on doing that. And depending how often autosaves happen we might end up doing that anyway.

Dexit & Future Returns:
* So Masuda said that, while they prided able having all Pokemon in previous game titles, this resulted in them abandoning previous game mechanics. Now not having to do every Pokemon they want to prioritize all the new gameplay ideas and ways to enjoy the game. Now, if this is true, MAYBE THIS IS THE REASON YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN FROM THE START! Now going into what could this possible mean, could this mean they'll bring back older and popular mechanics and features? Pokemon Contest, Battle Frontier, Secret Bases, Dex Nav, etc.. Of course, they also emphasized they want to move forward with the "NEW" mechanics they're coming up with so we'll see what that means, certainly doesn't mean Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves (please for the love of Arceus do not carry over Gigantamaxing).
* Only other thing worth mentioning is that Masuda confirms there's no culling and Pokemon not in Galar will appear in future gens. Also pushing Home as a place to gather Pokemon not in a gen's Dex so they can wait for one that does. Nice and all, but can they DO anything in Home aside just existing for a few years.
* OTHER THOUGHTS: Like how they said they had plenty of criteria for what Pokemon got in... and then never bothered giving any examples aside "yeah, I guess I can see this Pokemon existing in this fictional region we can mold in anyway we want". Like, sure, I guess the Blitzle family wouldn't fit as there's no zebras in the UK, but then again zebras aren't native to the US yet that's the gen you introduced them. Infact, since you've made a wild area that environment changes with the weather right alongside heavily industrialized cities, is there any Pokemon they wouldn't fit some place or another in Galar?

HMs Are AWOL Again:
No HMs because they didn't feel like it fit with the concept of the Wild Area being a massive free space. Not that it matters as they said the Rotom Phone will be giving you HM-like power-ups. It'll turn your bike into a water bike which is really the only "major" obstacle that would naturally exist. Darkness to Flash, boulders to Strength, bushes to Cut, Fog to Defog, all those are artificial road blocks that they don't need to include if they railroad you where they want you to be (which isn't a bad thing, though in a way it does mean effect exploration as they need to make an area big and expansive to give a sense of exploration instead of in previous games where exploration was backtracking through the region when you got a new HM to see what you could do with it).

Exp. Share Is Always On:
Exp. Share no longer exists, instead they're going the LGPE route of just having all your Pokemon earn experience after a battle/catch from the start. An obvious change and, as long as they level curve correctly, hopefully shouldn't be that bad. Would I like for a way to turn it off like they can with autosaves? Sure, for those looking for a challenge. But otherwise I have no major problem with it. "Do you have a minor problem with it"? Eh, sort of. If all Pokemon are getting equal experience then all Pokemon would probably keep even leveled with each other and I use my Pokemon being lower level to give them an excuse to put them in the front of my party. Now sounds like I won't really be changing who is the front of my party (and you know what, maybe that's something they should change for at least Trainer Battles: let me choose which Pokemon I sent out first instead of it always being the one leading the party. Wild Battles makes sense it's the lead Pokemon, you're suddenly jumped and sent out the first Pokemon on hand. But trainer battles or organized so should have a choice, would make me use more of my party for sure).

Every Pokemon Is Competitively Viable:
* Making new backend mechanics to make the Pokemon you grown attached to during your adventure you can actually take into competitive. YES! This has been on of the major issues with the Pokemon's message of forming a bond with your Pokemon only to having to toss them in the PC and raising a completely new team for competitive! Curious what they exactly plan on doing, but if this works out would be possibly one of the biggest boons Pokemon needed to get players hooked on competitive (and maybe into them doing more competitive focused things like the Battle Frontier)!
* One of these systems is heavily suggested to be changing a Pokemon's Nature. YES DOS! Something many of us have suggested! You can breed a Pokemon with perfect IVs but got to keep on breeding until you get the right Nature which is tedious grinding. Now if they also make Hidden Power's Type something we can choose we can just breeding to being something to do if you want a specific Egg Move (though I can understand this kind of making breeding feel less important so maybe they could add in new things to breed for like Egg Abilities or maybe even Egg Types, but I'm just mindlessly wishlisting so I'll stop). Eitherway, good job GF! And once again THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU'RE CUTTING THE DEX!

Gyms For All 18 Types:
There will be 18 Gyms, one for each Type! This will be done via there being a "Major League" that need to be completed in the main game for the Champion Cup then a "Minor League" which takes place during the off season. WOOT! Awesome! Now, since they're introducing Version Exclusive Gym Leaders I have a feeling not all 18 will be battleable (though for a connectivity bonus they could have you able to battle the other version's Gym Leaders). Also I think this firmly confirms there will be no Elite Four (unless the Elite Four aren't Type-based... yeah, probably no Elite Four). Anyway, let's play around with how they can do this:

1. Let's assume for Major League both versions will share 4 Gyms.
2. Then the remaining four Major League Gyms are version exclusive (8 + 4 = 12).
3. That leaves 6 Gyms saved for the presumably post game Minor League.
4. From there they can do a lot of things. What I would do would have 4 shared Gyms, then make the last 2 version exclusives, and finally having the other 3 Gyms being version exclusives from the other version's Major League.
5. That would mean there would be 2 version exclusive Gyms for each version (one from the Major League and one from the Minor League).

Not sure if there's any number game that can be done that wouldn't result in at least some Gyms being version exclusive.

Running late, will post comments/responses tomorrow.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
WOW, and here I thought we'd have a news drought before the livestream! Well, my first quick thoughts from just reading the GameInformer articles & Serebii's reports:

Cover Reveal - General Overview:
So according to this overview article for the entire month they'll be updating their coverage hub throughout the month. They promise insights about how the game was made, why they picked UK to base Galar on, Dexit, and plenty of interviews and questions. We'll see if anything enticing is revealed. Though considering it's October it's interesting they aren't doing a more Halloween-y theme (though they'll also have articles for Catherine & Persona. Also Shenmue III, though only thing scary about that game is it's PR disasters). And of course the magazine itself will probably have information they won't put on the site... and soon be just reprinted on the internet but hey that's at least one issue sold.

Max Raids Are Pokemon's Most Challenging Encounters:
* The idea for "Max Raids" existed before Pokemon Go, but Go's popularity and ease of accessing them inspired GF to make the Raids similar to Go's.
* Obvious, but not all Raids are created equal. Though they didn't go in how, some Raids will be challenging than others. I'm going to guess it'll probably not only be the Pokemon but also their Moves & Abilities.
* Raids are rated 1 to 5 stars, 1 being easy and 5 difficult. Honestly would rather have a "Recommended Level" number than stars as just having five stars to determine difficulty feels a bit obtuse. Like I could do a batch of 2 stars feeling like I could do a 3 star, then getting creamed because turns out the level difference between 2 and 3 for that challenge was 20 levels (this is, of course, an extreme example).
* OTHER THOUGHTS: Now, are Raids difficult because of "honest difficulty" as in the Raid Pokemon uses a tricky strategy and strong moves or is it "cheap difficulty" where it has tons of HP & stat increases from the start? Also they hopefully put some of that difficulty into the Champion Cup battles and Rivals.

Autosaves (And Turning It Off):
* Sounds like the reason they introduced autosaves was because they wanted the Surprise Trades going on in the background instead of you having to take time out like with Wonder Trade. They wanted to focus on a seamless playing experience. That said, other then after a Surprise Trade, they don't say how often or any other flags that trigger an autosave.
* But thankfully, we can turn it off. However Ohmori than goes into some odd explanation how the Switch is more complicated to turn off (probably referencing how one reason players would want autosaves is so they can soft reset during Legendary battles). But the odd thing about that is we don't need to turn off the Switch, just turn/off restart the game program. Infact, all games up until LGPE had a button combination you could do that would restart the game. It kind of feels like it's not that they couldn't make soft resetting easy, but they don't want to and sort of pushing/discouraging manual saves because they REALLY want to show off how seamless the autosave is. Hopefully the game will save your choice to turn off autosaves and you don't have to keep turning it off when you start the game back-up or it turns itself back on after a while.
* OTHER THOUGHTS: Also seamless autosaves don't feel that impressive when you've gotten the manual saves you happen within a few seconds. Like I get the autosaves are needed for the Surprise Trades, but the only other time I would want to save the game was after a major event or I was about to turn off the game for the day so I probably was already taking a few seconds to plan on doing that. And depending how often autosaves happen we might end up doing that anyway.

Dexit & Future Returns:
* So Masuda said that, while they prided able having all Pokemon in previous game titles, this resulted in them abandoning previous game mechanics. Now not having to do every Pokemon they want to prioritize all the new gameplay ideas and ways to enjoy the game. Now, if this is true, MAYBE THIS IS THE REASON YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN FROM THE START! Now going into what could this possible mean, could this mean they'll bring back older and popular mechanics and features? Pokemon Contest, Battle Frontier, Secret Bases, Dex Nav, etc.. Of course, they also emphasized they want to move forward with the "NEW" mechanics they're coming up with so we'll see what that means, certainly doesn't mean Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves (please for the love of Arceus do not carry over Gigantamaxing).
* Only other thing worth mentioning is that Masuda confirms there's no culling and Pokemon not in Galar will appear in future gens. Also pushing Home as a place to gather Pokemon not in a gen's Dex so they can wait for one that does. Nice and all, but can they DO anything in Home aside just existing for a few years.
* OTHER THOUGHTS: Like how they said they had plenty of criteria for what Pokemon got in... and then never bothered giving any examples aside "yeah, I guess I can see this Pokemon existing in this fictional region we can mold in anyway we want". Like, sure, I guess the Blitzle family wouldn't fit as there's no zebras in the UK, but then again zebras aren't native to the US yet that's the gen you introduced them. Infact, since you've made a wild area that environment changes with the weather right alongside heavily industrialized cities, is there any Pokemon they wouldn't fit some place or another in Galar?

HMs Are AWOL Again:
No HMs because they didn't feel like it fit with the concept of the Wild Area being a massive free space. Not that it matters as they said the Rotom Phone will be giving you HM-like power-ups. It'll turn your bike into a water bike which is really the only "major" obstacle that would naturally exist. Darkness to Flash, boulders to Strength, bushes to Cut, Fog to Defog, all those are artificial road blocks that they don't need to include if they railroad you where they want you to be (which isn't a bad thing, though in a way it does mean effect exploration as they need to make an area big and expansive to give a sense of exploration instead of in previous games where exploration was backtracking through the region when you got a new HM to see what you could do with it).

Exp. Share Is Always On:
Exp. Share no longer exists, instead they're going the LGPE route of just having all your Pokemon earn experience after a battle/catch from the start. An obvious change and, as long as they level curve correctly, hopefully shouldn't be that bad. Would I like for a way to turn it off like they can with autosaves? Sure, for those looking for a challenge. But otherwise I have no major problem with it. "Do you have a minor problem with it"? Eh, sort of. If all Pokemon are getting equal experience then all Pokemon would probably keep even leveled with each other and I use my Pokemon being lower level to give them an excuse to put them in the front of my party. Now sounds like I won't really be changing who is the front of my party (and you know what, maybe that's something they should change for at least Trainer Battles: let me choose which Pokemon I sent out first instead of it always being the one leading the party. Wild Battles makes sense it's the lead Pokemon, you're suddenly jumped and sent out the first Pokemon on hand. But trainer battles or organized so should have a choice, would make me use more of my party for sure).

Every Pokemon Is Competitively Viable:
* Making new backend mechanics to make the Pokemon you grown attached to during your adventure you can actually take into competitive. YES! This has been on of the major issues with the Pokemon's message of forming a bond with your Pokemon only to having to toss them in the PC and raising a completely new team for competitive! Curious what they exactly plan on doing, but if this works out would be possibly one of the biggest boons Pokemon needed to get players hooked on competitive (and maybe into them doing more competitive focused things like the Battle Frontier)!
* One of these systems is heavily suggested to be changing a Pokemon's Nature. YES DOS! Something many of us have suggested! You can breed a Pokemon with perfect IVs but got to keep on breeding until you get the right Nature which is tedious grinding. Now if they also make Hidden Power's Type something we can choose we can just breeding to being something to do if you want a specific Egg Move (though I can understand this kind of making breeding feel less important so maybe they could add in new things to breed for like Egg Abilities or maybe even Egg Types, but I'm just mindlessly wishlisting so I'll stop). Eitherway, good job GF! And once again THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU'RE CUTTING THE DEX!

Gyms For All 18 Types:
There will be 18 Gyms, one for each Type! This will be done via there being a "Major League" that need to be completed in the main game for the Champion Cup then a "Minor League" which takes place during the off season. WOOT! Awesome! Now, since they're introducing Version Exclusive Gym Leaders I have a feeling not all 18 will be battleable (though for a connectivity bonus they could have you able to battle the other version's Gym Leaders). Also I think this firmly confirms there will be no Elite Four (unless the Elite Four aren't Type-based... yeah, probably no Elite Four). Anyway, let's play around with how they can do this:

1. Let's assume for Major League both versions will share 4 Gyms.
2. Then the remaining four Major League Gyms are version exclusive (8 + 4 = 12).
3. That leaves 6 Gyms saved for the presumably post game Minor League.
4. From there they can do a lot of things. What I would do would have 4 shared Gyms, then make the last 2 version exclusives, and finally having the other 3 Gyms being version exclusives from the other version's Major League.
5. That would mean there would be 2 version exclusive Gyms for each version (one from the Major League and one from the Minor League).

Not sure if there's any number game that can be done that wouldn't result in at least some Gyms being version exclusive.

Running late, will post comments/responses tomorrow.
I like your breakdown/predictions of how the 18 gyms could be structured, but I don't get why you would fight the Major League leaders first with the Minor League trainers reserved for postgame. It just doesn't make sense: Why go from the big championship tourney to a smaller-scale arrangement? The postgame trainers will obviously have to be a lot stronger, so that also raises the question of why the Minor League gym leaders would be stronger than the Major League ones. The other way around just makes much more sense: Spend the main game battling through the Minor League before your road to the championship gets interrupted by whatever shenanigans Zacian, Zamazenta and possibly Eternatus get up to, then spend the postgame facing the revered Major League gym leaders, allowing you to finally qualify for the Champion's Cup before facing off against Leon himself.

Hm I don't know Pikachu. Considering Gamefreak's record of "new mechanics" it just seems like they want to constantly keep experimenting, at the cost of some older content. We ditched dexnav and horde battles, arguably the most OP additions as far as competitive and shiny hunting is concerned, and have been replaced by worse, slower versions.

Gamefreak's vision of "game mechanics" that are worth trying out has been: photo club, curry dex, and...make pokemon bigger.

Still don't know if that's worth my shiny legitimate legendaries that are bottle capped sitting in my home. I'm all for hoping we finally get the frontier to return, or improvements like contents being like in the anime.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Gamefreak's vision of "game mechanics" that are worth trying out has been: photo club, curry dex, and...make pokemon bigger.
Wouldn't Raids and Wild Area also fall under the non-too-subtly-cherry-picked list of game mechanics they are testing out? But then again those are much more substantial and harder to rag on than currydex and photo club.

Last edited:
Or just you know, rotate the strong ones out...thats what i did in lets go which also had perma exp.share. i rotated about 12 mons and made sure they met a level threshold before continuing.

Also its not confirmed if the expshare has no toggle, i doubt it wont.
That only works when your total number of pokemon is a multiple of 6, if you catch say an 8th pokemon that's 9 levels lower than your other team members you'll have a hard time not overleveling someone until you catch at least another 4 pokemon
also the way Ohmori phrased it implied the Exp. Share cannot be turned off

I have a theory on the Elite Four, following the news of there being 18 gyms. My theory is that there is no actual Elite Four, and the final part of the game is instead a full-fledged 16-man tournament. You're put up against 15 other gym leaders at random (with stronger teams ofc) and the winner gets to challenge Champion Leon. This would fit very well with the sports theme, and it would even fit in the structure of past Elite Fours, as you go through 4 matches (16 trainers -> 8 -> 4 -> 2), then the Champion. This would add a whole new layer of difficulty to the game, because it is no longer possible to predict the 4 trainers you'll face and therefore prepare for their type specialization.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The real problem with the Exp Share is how you are forced to give the EV to all Pokémon. My usual routine when EV training is turning the Exp Share off, battling a couple of wild Pokémon until my considered Pokémon are infected with the Pokérus, then turning the Exp Share on so I know exactly how many EV I get each time.

Guess I'll have to either KO them first, or to finally learn wether or not I get double EVs on the battle when the infection occurs. Or (most likely) I'll just drop the Pokérus part of EV training.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The real problem with the Exp Share is how you are forced to give the EV to all Pokémon. My usual routine when EV training is turning the Exp Share off, battling a couple of wild Pokémon until my considered Pokémon are infected with the Pokérus, then turning the Exp Share on so I know exactly how many EV I get each time.

Guess I'll have to either KO them first, or to finally learn wether or not I get double EVs on the battle when the infection occurs. Or (most likely) I'll just drop the Pokérus part of EV training.
The past few games, you don't have to actually defeat the opposing Pokemon to pass Pokerus. You just have to get into a battle. You can run from the wild Pokemon and still pass Pokerus.

On the scaled XP discussion: it made levelling things up to 100 a royal pain in the ass, especially in SM where there were no repeatable fights above level 60 or so. It made them the worst games for levelling up your Pokemon, even worse than RBY, and I wouldn't be surprised if they remove it for that reason alone.

On the scaled XP discussion: it made levelling things up to 100 a royal pain in the ass, especially in SM where there were no repeatable fights above level 60 or so. It made them the worst games for levelling up your Pokemon, even worse than RBY, and I wouldn't be surprised if they remove it for that reason alone.
GSC was far worse. No wild pokemon above lvl 50 or something, e4 and champion cap out at 50, you have to defeat the e4 before battling Red, trainer school is daily and there are no other high leveled trainers which could be beaten repeatedly. Also, no lucky eggs or exp share. RSE was not much better, unless you had a nice collection of secret bases. SM was perfectly doable, I didn't get the impression that it was worse than gen 4 or 5.

Maybe, but SM had no incentive for one to level up to 100 - the highest you'd need was 65 to evolve Zweilous. The problem is USUM's Bottle Cap system.

HMs Are AWOL Again:
Umm... Yikes?

I'll be honest. HM's were not fun. I get it. Ride mons were straight up improvements as far as I can tell. Surfing Bike in SnS already looks like a nice solution too.

Here's the thing though: The Wild Area *needs* natural obstacles besides Surf.

Imagine this scenario. The wild area, a massive place to explore and meet new pokémon. It's also about as flat, boring and plain as Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field.

No deal. Rotom powers and a bike aren't exactly inspiring me to believe that obstacles like waterfalls and climbable cliffs are coming back and I think this will hurt exploration a lot.

Hoping I'm wrong tho.

Umm... Yikes?

I'll be honest. HM's were not fun. I get it. Ride mons were straight up improvements as far as I can tell. Surfing Bike in SnS already looks like a nice solution too.

Imagine this scenario. The wild area, a massive place to explore and meet new pokémon. It's also about as flat, boring and plain as Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field.

No deal. Rotom powers and a bike aren't exactly inspiring me to believe that obstacles like waterfalls and climbable cliffs are coming back and I think this will hurt exploration a lot.

Hoping I'm wrong tho.
They could just gate off certain areas withing the Wild Area and have an NPC there that blocks it off until you've got a certain badge, like they did in SM. Admittedly that's not a very exciting solution, but it makes sense.

Maybe, but SM had no incentive for one to level up to 100 - the highest you'd need was 65 to evolve Zweilous. The problem is USUM's Bottle Cap system.
Getting stuff to level 100 is no trouble in USUM. SOS Chain off the Chanseys, Pokemon Refresh and Lucky Eggs make it a breeze. You can even kill 2 birds with one stone and farm Lucky Eggs while chaining off the Chanseys. I didn't find it too hard to get Bottle Caps either: once you get Isle Aphun to Level 3 and send them on the Path for Rare Treasure Hunting, I found Gold Bottle Caps quite often.

Last edited:
GSC was far worse. No wild pokemon above lvl 50 or something, e4 and champion cap out at 50, you have to defeat the e4 before battling Red, trainer school is daily and there are no other high leveled trainers which could be beaten repeatedly. Also, no lucky eggs or exp share. RSE was not much better, unless you had a nice collection of secret bases. SM was perfectly doable, I didn't get the impression that it was worse than gen 4 or 5.
Seconding this. It was even worse because there was a massive level spike for Red and you reasonably had a reason to grind up to lv.100 because of Stadium 2.

Actually, no. Using the kitchens on Festival Plaza, you only need to take a Pokémon to level 66, which is pretty easy, especially in ultra, where you had Chansey/Blissey SOS battles. In about 5 to 10 minutes, you can take a level 1 baby to 66. Use the kitchens, 2 rare candies and voilà.

Pokémon has quite easily managed to make interesting route design without needing to rely on a contrived HM puzzle before. The lack of Strength or Rock Smash does not automatically equal the Wild Area being flat and uninteresting, nor does it mean puzzles and such can't exist without Cut.

All of these changes shown yesterday have, to me, equalled one thing: making the games more streamlined and less bloated.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Umm... Yikes?

Hoping I'm wrong tho.
Why do we need wild area obstacles? They’ve stated in the past that you can go wherever in the wild area (which is already seen to be varied environment-wise) but you’ll be stopped by higher level pokemon. Hopefully this means there’s a badge-related catching limit and these wild encounters would just be too difficult for you to manage and not anything more roadblocky.

So one of the biggest criticism thrown at Sword & Shield is that when you look at the big obstacles of GF's inexperience with the Switch and needing to bring out a new game every year; why are they tackling it with such a small number of workers? Why not hire on more people to help?

... turns out that's precisely what they did.

The bottle cap system was in place in SM aswell, I'm pretty sure?

Actually, no. Using the kitchens on Festival Plaza, you only need to take a Pokémon to level 66, which is pretty easy, especially in ultra, where you had Chansey/Blissey SOS battles. In about 5 to 10 minutes, you can take a level 1 baby to 66. Use the kitchens, 2 rare candies and voilà.
True, but this relied on you being at *exact* level bounds. One level over and the whole method became useless (in particular, if you had a Pokemon at level 90+ for some reason) -- plus it needed those points you spend in the Plaza, which were effectively a finite resource because time limited event missions were the only reasonable way to get them in large quantities.

The point about GSC being worse is valid though.

The bottle cap system was in place in SM aswell, I'm pretty sure?

True, but this relied on you being at *exact* level bounds. One level over and the whole method became useless (in particular, if you had a Pokemon at level 90+ for some reason) -- plus it needed those points you spend in the Plaza, which were effectively a finite resource because time limited event missions were the only reasonable way to get them in large quantities.

The point about GSC being worse is valid though.
You could get Rare Candies on the Battle Royale facility with BPs, and you could get them by Mantine Surfing, and I was able to grind for a lot of Festival Points on the "Type Matchup" thing on Plaza. But I see your point.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Is it too meta to speculate on what people might do based on speculation? Either way, please don't use the "I put thing in your thing" meme.

If the Nature Changer doesn't actually change the nature like the IV Changer doesn't actually change IVs, then some people might go for Pokemon with personalities they like instead of ones that are hatched perfect. I'm sure almost everyone here has forgotten about Characteristics, because everyone ignores them and they're a just a flavorful hint about the Pokemon's highest IV, but they can portray a personality pretty well. For example, a Quiet Nature with "Quick tempered" says a lot more than the Jolly with "Alert to sounds" or "Capable of taking hits" perfect Pokemon always have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)