Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Copy pasting the message Sonia left on the english site:

We created a summary of the Pokémon seen in our research the other day. Good job with the Pokémon Live Camera, Rotom!

It sounds like this was the first time many people saw a Galarian Ponyta. You’ll likely discover even more Pokémon we haven’t seen yet that live in Glimwood Tangle, too, if you visit there when you explore the Galar region.

I hope you enjoyed helping out with my research!
Thank you!

Also of note, as Yung Dramps brought it up before: Galarian Ponyta is the first regional form to change its Pokédex classification -- instead of being the 'Fire Horse' Pokémon, it is now the 'Unique Horn' Pokémon.
There is a precedent for different forms of a Pokémon species being different classifications, though - Hoopa Confined is the "Mischief Pokémon", whereas Hoopa Unbound is the "Djinn Pokémon".

Have to say, I'm a little bit disappointed that Galarian Ponyta isn't a Fairy-type - that design would have been a slam dunk for that typing - but Psychic is perfectly serviceable, and I'll be interested to see what they do with Galarian Rapidash.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
As said earlier, I appreciate Psychic Ponyta for being different from all the Fairies revealed thus far. Please god give us Psychic/Flying Rapidash or I die.

And STILL no proper Impidimp reveal? Not even on the website? Yeah, it's clearly intentional. He's a bit of a troll, maybe he's hiding his noodly-limbed presence to piss us off.

By the way, the new classification for Ponyta is a pun. Unique Horn Pokemon. Unicorn Pokemon. Lmao this fucking game man I swear

Hm, if it weren't for the fact a random trainer in the demo had an impidimp, I'd be fully starting to suspect it's a mythical and this is their marketing strat for it this gen.

Or maybe it's just going to be a common pest in Galar to the point that the "researchers" don't feel it's worth mentioning. :P

Impidimp aside, a rather underwhelming reveal for the first news drop of the month. I definitely feel like they've overcorrected for last gen. At least show some more new gameplay footage or something!

Hopefully we get more next week. Dunno if the game informer starter spotlight is leading up to anything, but I wouldn't mind getting some info on the next stages soon. (Hopefully full evos next month too, since I want to see them before making a final starter decision!)

It’s Psychic? Why? How? Also if they switch the attacking stats for Rapidash it could be very neat (second Galarian form you can say that about, first being Galarian Weezing) either that or give it Psycho Cut.

They also updated the live stream page with screenshots of Pokemon that were found as well as a message from Sonia, which is just a word of thanks. The only two pictures that don't have a close up of a Pokemon are:

Hopefully we get more info about those soon.
There’s Cotonee and Swirlix, respectively, in the background towards the top of the pictures.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By the way, Galarian Ponyta almost certainly has the same base HP as regular Ponyta (base 50) based on the picture. I always check because Alolan Raticate has 20 more base HP than regular Raticate. A Level 35 regular Ponyta with 0 HP EVs and 15, 16, or 17 HP IVs would have 85 HP. However, regular Rattata and Alolan Rattata have the same base HP so I suppose it's not necessarily certain if the same is true of Rapidash.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
The lore says the Galarian Ponyta became a Psychic Type from exposure to overflowing life energy? Um, sure... It's not like overflowing life is heavily connected to another Typing because of any Legendary Pokemon that pretty much embodies life itself. That would make the typing go from Fairy weird to X-tremely confusing!

Edit: What do you mean Heal Pulse is a Psychic Type Move?

Last edited:
One more small realisation -- given the likely location of Gleamwood Forest; the fact an evolved Pokémon like Shiinotic was seen there; and that other in-game images of Ponyta show it at level 35; I think we can surmise we'll find it around that level and that in general things should be around that level at that point in the game. This at least means it won't take long to evolve.

Galarian Ponyta is the first reveal to get me almost as excited as Alolan Ninetails did in Sun and Moon. I hope they don’t Alolan Persian Rapidash (assuming it’s still it’s evolution). It’s ability seems pretty good to me? Maybe not game changing like Neutralizing Gas but definitely much better than something throwaway like Steadfast. I initially read it as being able to cure allied Pokémon in party so it’s a bit worse than I thought.

Just an observation I had a while ago but never posted, but I don’t know if we can call Serebii’s list of available Pokémon completely accurate given that it assumes that first or second stage evolutions will evolve into their regular forms and not Galarian forms. Also I’m curious to see if any Galarian evolutions will be split lined rather than to a Galarian version of their regular evolved form.

Galarian Ponyta is the first reveal to get me almost as excited as Alolan Ninetails did in Sun and Moon. I hope they don’t Alolan Persian Rapidash (assuming it’s still it’s evolution). It’s ability seems pretty good to me? Maybe not game changing like Neutralizing Gas but definitely much better than something throwaway like Steadfast. I initially read it as being able to cure allied Pokémon in party so it’s a bit worse than I thought.

Just an observation I had a while ago but never posted, but I don’t know if we can call Serebii’s list of available Pokémon completely accurate given that it assumes that first or second stage evolutions will evolve into their regular forms and not Galarian forms. Also I’m curious to see if any Galarian evolutions will be split lined rather than to a Galarian version of their regular evolved form.
It's still right because either way the original forms will be available via Pokemon Home

So the forest is full of Grass and Fairy types. Maybe Ponyta is supposed to be some sort of protector of the forest or the Pokémon. Being Psychic and with its ability, maybe it protects the Pokémon there by scaring away the Poison Type mons which those mons are all weak to.
This is probably my favorite theory on Psychic-type Galarian Ponyta.

Also, I'd like to mention that the tail-less variant of Galarian Ponyta hasn't been shown in the new trailer yet. Was the tail-less Ponyta in the stream an oversight, or is there something more to it that they're keeping under wraps for now?

You could get the og versions of Gen 7's Alolan forms by breeding or trading with NPCs. It's not confirmed 100% but very likely nonetheless
Except this is the first mainline Pokémon game to not feature the entire ensemble. In Gen 7 they did have every Pokémon available to them so it just made sense to take advantage of that; but there's no reason to assume that the original Linoone and Ponyta are in this game. If anything, I think Galarian Forms of new Pokémon makes it more likely that the original would not be in this game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)