Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
brave bird / rain dance / roost / scald swanna @ LO with hydration

reject sets like this without hurricane?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
got mega slowbro without recovery - cm psyshock ice beam scald
gorebyss without shell smash - hp grass ice beam hydro pump sub
cryogonal without recover - toxic hp ground ice beam rapid spin

all moves in order

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
brave bird / rain dance / roost / scald swanna @ LO with hydration

reject sets like this without hurricane?
Why does it need hurricane though, Brave Bird is the same BP and Rain Dance is for Hydration.

got mega slowbro without recovery - cm psyshock ice beam scald
gorebyss without shell smash - hp grass ice beam hydro pump sub
cryogonal without recover - toxic hp ground ice beam rapid spin

all moves in order
This isn't really a problem with the sets it's more an inherent downside of random battles where mons that get more than 4 moves to pull from won't always get their best sets. We don't want too many mons to only have 4 moves to fix this because then it would lose some of what makes random battles random.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
This isn't really a problem with the sets it's more an inherent downside of random battles where mons that get more than 4 moves to pull from won't always get their best sets. We don't want too many mons to only have 4 moves to fix this because then it would lose some of what makes random battles random.
cryogonal without recover is just bad, it should get recover just like quagsire and gastro
i figured shell smash was permanent on gorebyss and huntail, if that's changed then fine, tho hopefully only for gorebyss since huntail's coverage is abysmal and weak
i view slowbro same as musharna - slow bulky psychic set up mons, and imo they're just terrible if they have 0 recovery, specially mega slowbro (musharna at least has lefties and sometimes moonlight). regular slowbro may be fine with no recovery move if it has lefties, but mega imo needs slack off

cryogonal without recover is just bad, it should get recover just like quagsire and gastro
i figured shell smash was permanent on gorebyss and huntail, if that's changed then fine, tho hopefully only for gorebyss since huntail's coverage is abysmal and weak
i view slowbro same as musharna - slow bulky psychic set up mons, and imo they're just terrible if they have 0 recovery, specially mega slowbro (musharna at least has lefties and sometimes moonlight). regular slowbro may be fine with no recovery move if it has lefties, but mega imo needs slack off
It’s hard to make a rule that enforces that. Should Psychic types always have recovery? There’s Mewtwo, Sigilyph, Reuniclus, etc.. that have purely offensive sets you’d be deleting. Same for other types. I recently made it so you always get recovery if you have 2 or more status moves, which was the best I could come up with as a general rule.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
It’s hard to make a rule that enforces that. Should Psychic types always have recovery? There’s Mewtwo, Sigilyph, Reuniclus, etc.. that have purely offensive sets you’d be deleting. Same for other types. I recently made it so you always get recovery if you have 2 or more status moves, which was the best I could come up with as a general rule.
if you want to keep it generic, then i guess it's a dead end, but if there's room for special treatment of mons, i'd say mega slowbro, being quite a wall, should always have slack off - a wall that gets a reliable recovery move should always have it imo (just like florges jellicent palossand)

breh

強いだね
Why does it need hurricane though, Brave Bird is the same BP and Rain Dance is for Hydration.
rain dance just for hydration and boosted scald is stupid

why does emboar get fire blast? there's no reason to throw away reckless flare blitz

my castform got a damp rock reeeeeee

I don't think mega slowbro needs recovery as badly as other pokemon do because it has regenerator so it's just basically a 4 attacks slowbro without leftovers

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I don't think mega slowbro needs recovery as badly as other pokemon do because it has regenerator so it's just basically a 4 attacks slowbro without leftovers
As long as you don't mega-evolve, which isn't ideal all the time

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-998697534

On turn 20, MonoWing gets Toxic'd and shows Unaware over Magic Guard. Yet he uses Soft-Boiled, which is illegal with Unaware. There a chance for this to be fixed?
illegal sets are allowed in rands. before defog immunity gligar existed, defog immunity gligar was in rands. We've got leaf blade shiftry w/o care for its other moves, also. I do not think it will be fixed.

breh

強いだね
hp grass / hydro pump / scald / ice beam specs suicune

e: also I forget if I commented this before but tangled feet dodrio is objectively bad over early bird

e2: is there ever going to be any nerfing of marshadow? other broken setup mons at least have to roll good their setup move to be broken; marshadow just always breaks everything.

Last edited:
yeah that set is intentional and will not be changed
Can somebody help me understand the rationale behind including this particular set on Gothitelle?

What puzzles me is that unlike Smeargle, which inflicts major status (sleep), entry hazards and threatens opponents with D Bond, everything this Gothitelle set does can be undone simply by switching out the mon if Gothitelle is switched out. This means the only way to play this set is to literally PP stall the opponent to death, or till they forfeit out of frustration/boredom. This really kills the joy of playing, whether as user or opponent. (I say this as someone who managed to successfully PP stall an Articuno with this set).

Could yall please consider including at least one attacking move? It actually has a pretty usable SpA stat after all.

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Can somebody help me understand the rationale behind including this particular set on Gothitelle?

What puzzles me is that unlike Smeargle, which inflicts major status (sleep), entry hazards and threatens opponents with D Bond, everything this Gothitelle set does can be undone simply by switching out the mon if Gothitelle is switched out. This means the only way to play this set is to literally PP stall the opponent to death, or till they forfeit out of frustration/boredom. This really kills the joy of playing, whether as user or opponent. (I say this as someone who managed to successfully PP stall an Articuno with this set).

Could yall please consider including at least one attacking move? It actually has a pretty usable SpA stat after all.
The point of the set isn't just to pp stall, you can simply use it to get something to -6 in order to go out into a sweeper to get a free turn of set up that you may not normally get. As far as giving it attacking moves it had an attacking set prior to this one and it was very underwhelming even with Calm Mind to help it.

Can we talk about gen 8 randbat sets here? I've seen Primarina with Liquid Voice and no sound moves beyond Sparkling Aria (twice, even), and a Dugtrio with Reversal and Leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)