SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

I wonder what people think of Shiinotic since it seems to be the only Spore user in this gen. Any chance it might have a niche in singles or in VGC now that the tapus are gone?

As for Flygon, idk, there are many Pkm who can wall it like Mandibuzz, Bronzong, Avalugg, Clefable, Quasgire, Hippowdon, etc. It really doesn't look good for it unless GF decides to give it a buff in form of stat boosts, moves, or ability. Well, doesn't this Poison/Electric Pkm have an ability which boosts sounds moves? Well, Trapinch does have a hidden ability, and if I look at Bronzong and Galarian Weezing, why not giving Flygon a little bit variety? It could heal off the recoil with Roost, and if the ability does boost sound moves by 1.5, that wouldn't be bad at all.

Also, it might be a reliable Defogger what's with its unique resistances. If I recall right, it had a small niche in ORAS uber.

Got bad news for you man. In Speculatory OU, Flygon sucks. Scarf sets are too weak, and attacker sets are just outclassed. And that's just the incomplete version without certain returning mons and new stuff! Maybe he'll be decent in UU idk
maybe they buffed Flygon’s stats like how they buffed a bunch of Pokémon stats in gen 6.

We really need data mined learnsets and stats before jumping the gun.

I'm going to guess Flygon will be UU in usage gen 8. Its going to need more than Breaking Swipe to make an impact in OU. Reserved for more until datamines if we get them.

Flygon's only possible chance in OU is if the meta just works for it. Lots of grounded Steels and physically frail fairy types as well as the majority of Choice Scarfers having 99 base speed or less, and minimal usage of Ice Shard as well as a lot of electric, ground, and fire type spam. But then we're talking about a highly specific meta that we probably won't see in reality.

It... doesn't look good for Flygon but you never know what could happen.

I did some calcs for what Obstagoon would need to combat Dragapult, with specific focus on making the case that Phantom Force is not a viable move option on Dragapult.

First things first, Sucker Punch. It is decently likely Obstagoon will get it, but none of this will work if it doesn't.
Next is Pursuit. Again, pretty likely, but if it doesn't Dragapult has the option of switching out of our grasp.

With the moves in place, we start our gameplan: Switch in after seeing Phantom Force charge, take it with our immunity to ghost, then challenge them to a gamble that heavily favors us on the turn afterwards.
First we need the attack power to make our STAB Sucker Punch a OHKO
That can be done with max Attack Adamant if: Our base Atk is 130+, with Life Orb from base Atk 90+, or with Flame Orb + Guts from base Atk 43+
Now we have the first part of the gambit: If Dragapult picks wrong in the 50/50 between Sucker Punch and Pursuit, it's dead.

Second we make the other piece of the gambit: The bulk to tank 1 mistake. So we spec to survive: one +1 Dragon Darts, one Stealth Rock, and one Burn damage.
This can be accomplished with max Def investment if Obstagoon's bases for HP and Def are 105/110 or something equivalent.

There we have it: The benchmark for Obstagoon to turn Phantom Force into a deathtrap for +1 Dragon Danced Dragapult is base stats greater than or equivalent to 105/43/110/xx/xx/xx. A bit frailer and it will need a +Def nature, and any higher stats reduce EV restrictions or increase flexibility.
This set can also switch in on the Dragon Dance, or revenge kill a banded variant, to the same effect.

If Dragapult gets Superpower, then that is a yikes from me.

What's the earliest one might find any of the pseudos? I wanted to use Larvitar and probably Dreepy but if they're both basically Victory Road 'mons (judging by dex order), meh.

Also are there Pokemon exclusive to routes vs Wild Area, and vice versa? How is the Wild Area divided up?

Nice to see so many Ice types that aren't Delibird in the first 100.

I did some calcs for what Obstagoon would need to combat Dragapult, with specific focus on making the case that Phantom Force is not a viable move option on Dragapult.

First things first, Sucker Punch. It is decently likely Obstagoon will get it, but none of this will work if it doesn't.
Next is Pursuit. Again, pretty likely, but if it doesn't Dragapult has the option of switching out of our grasp.

With the moves in place, we start our gameplan: Switch in after seeing Phantom Force charge, take it with our immunity to ghost, then challenge them to a gamble that heavily favors us on the turn afterwards.
That can be done with max Attack Adamant if: Our base Atk is 130+, with Life Orb from base Atk 90+, or with Flame Orb + Guts from base Atk 43+
Now we have the first part of the gambit: If Dragapult picks wrong in the 50/50 between Sucker Punch and Pursuit, it's dead.

Second we make the other piece of the gambit: The bulk to tank 1 mistake. So we spec to survive: one +1 Dragon Darts, one Stealth Rock, and one Burn damage.
This can be accomplished with max Def investment if Obstagoon's bases for HP and Def are 105/110 or something equivalent.

There we have it: The benchmark for Obstagoon to turn Phantom Force into a deathtrap for +1 Dragon Danced Dragapult is base stats greater than or equivalent to 105/43/110/xx/xx/xx. A bit frailer and it will need a +Def nature, and any higher stats reduce EV restrictions or increase flexibility.
This set can also switch in on the Dragon Dance, or revenge kill a banded variant, to the same effect.

Hope Dragapult doesn't use Substitute.

We are going so far as to completely speculate stats we have no hopes of knowing right now to do calcs? Are you really that bored and excited right now, dude?

And realistically I highly doubt obstagoon is going to have anything near 105/110. Look at grimsnarl. Look at it's pre-evos. There is no reasonable evidence to assume it's going to be that bulky.

But if pure fantasy is where our heads are going, sure hope Cursola has at least 110 s.atk!

Is the dex still arranged in appearance order? What's the earliest one might find any of the pseudos? I wanted to use Larvitar (and probably Dreepy) but if they're both basically Victory Road 'mons, meh.

Are there Pokemon exclusive to routes vs Wild Area, and vice versa? How is the Wild Area divided up?

Nice to see so many Ice types that aren't Delibird in the first 100.
Yeah, on this note—one of the leakers said Dreepy is catchable in the Wild Area after Gym 3. How much of the Dex is really catchable in the Wild Area vs being obtained in Dex order in other locations?

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Was about to post about Sub+Phantom on pult but got ninja'd twice lmao. People shouldn't sleep on this though, if I've learned anything from playing CAP during the Necturna meta it's not to fuck around with SubForce.

Yeah, on this note—one of the leakers said Dreepy is catchable in the Wild Area after Gym 3. How much of the Dex is really catchable in the Wild Area vs being obtained in Dex order in other locations?
Interesting. Does the Wild Area contain everything? Is it only weather/etc that affects which Pokemon appear, or are appearance rates linked to say, gym badges or something else. The Wild Area looks bisected, so I wonder if everything in the first half of the map will appear in that first part of the Wild Area (with the second half containing all of the Pokemon in the upper half of the map).

Gonna be a lot to discover come release day still!

Something to consider here is that Dragapult can easily run SubDragon Dance + Phantom Force + Dragon Darts in its prospective setup set, completely negating the Sucker Punch/Pursuit/Ice Shard mindgames.

E: Ninjask'd
Sub is nice but you leave yourself just completely destroyed by any physically bulky fairy, steel, or even just actual physical walls like Hippowdon.

+1 252 Atk (126 base atk) Dragapult Dragon Darts vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 169-201 (37.1 - 44.2%)
252 Atk Dragapult Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 127-150 (32.2 - 38%)
+1 252 Atk Dragapult Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 168-198 (47.7 - 56.2%)

It will need Life Orb to really get the damage output you want. Sub + LO isn't usually very good and you give up coverage like Flamethrower or whatever which it will absolutely need. We also don't know for sure its base attack. I assumed the highest, 126, but it could be much lower.

Edit: I'm blind, it definitely learns PF lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)