Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

When a Boss Dynamax Pokémon nullifies abilities, they last less than an entire turn.

A Boss Vileplume nullified a Snorlax's Immunity, then badly poisoned it with Toxic. Snorlax's Immunity activated and cured it from poison BEFORE taking poison damage.

Last edited:
1. In PS right now, if an Impostor and Ngas are on the field, and the Ngas switches out, the Impostor transforms into the switched out Ngas. Is that how it works in game?
2. Can you have multiple Crowned Zacians/Zamzentas w/o hacking

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Ice Face: What does and does not trigger the restoring of the ability?

Is it:
- when you send it out into Hail?
- when Hail is summoned while it is active?
- when Hail is active at the end of the turn?

Ema Skye

Work!
So Copperajah sets Steel Stealth Rock with its Steel GMax move. Does Drednaw set Water Stealth Rock with its Water GMax move?

Both mention setting a hazard so I'm wondering if we get another SR variant.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
King's Shield lowers Atk by one stage now instead of two if an enemy attacks into it. I let a wild Rookidee use Peck into my King's Shield. I confirmed on the battlefield details page that Atk went down by 1 stage.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Asked once and I'll ask again: Do Dynamaxed Pokemon with Choice items still get their boosts despite being able to switch moves? We really need a definitive answer on this soon, these kinds of sets are tearing up Beta OU ladder right now.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Dumping a bunch of findings I haven't had a chance to put here:

- I posted here about how Neutralizing Gas leaving the field causes an Intimidate user to hit Weezing. I also tested giving Weezing a White herb, and it does not activate.

- I was asked if unreleased legends can Dynamax. I was able to successfully Dynamax Kyurem-White, Reshiram, and Zekrom.

- I was asked if BH rules are still applicable. It's still possible to perform local battles with mons that have 252 in all EVs and illegal abilities/moves such as Contrary + Leaf Storm Rookidee.

- I went back and checked Super Fang -- It appears to take 50% of base HP, not 33% of max HP after Dynamax.
0 Dynamax level Chewtle ended up with 112/168 HP (base 112 HP) after Super Fang
10 Dynamax level Chewtle ended up with 168/224 HP (base 112 HP) after Super Fang

- I was asked at what HP Golisopod's Emergency Exit activates when Dynamaxed. I was forced out at 104/219 HP (base 146 HP), so it seems to use 50% of the max HP after Dynamax.

- I was asked what happens if Neutralizing Gas meets Neutralizing Gas -- both abilities go off.

- Gorilla Tactics + Dynamax has no damage boost or move locking.
At level 50, 156 Att Darmanitan-G uses 110 BP physical Max Hailstorm vs 75 Def Chewtle, does a total of 65 damage (leaves it with 47/112 HP). Damage roll should be 64-76 based on that having no damage boosts

Ice Face: What does and does not trigger the restoring of the ability?
I saw this ability earlier, but it's not sufficient to be in hail. Its head stayed small for several turns until Hail ended, and then I observed it regenerating when the Hail weather restarted.

Last edited:
- I went back and checked Super Fang -- It appears to take 50% of base HP, not 33% of max HP after Dynamax.
0 Dynamax level Chewtle ended up with 112/168 HP (base 112 HP) after Super Fang
10 Dynamax level Chewtle ended up with 168/224 HP (base 112 HP) after Super Fang
It's not entirely wrong, though. At Dynamax Level 0, 50% of base HP is 33% of Dynamaxed HP. At level 10 it's 25%.

Is Schooling any different?

- Gorilla Tactics + Dynamax has no damage boost or move locking.
At level 50, 156 Att Darmanitan-G uses 110 BP physical Max Hailstorm vs 75 Def Chewtle, does a total of 65 damage (leaves it with 47/112 HP). Damage roll should be 64-76 based on that having no damage boosts
So neither Gorilla Tactics nor Choice Band/Spec boost Dynamax moves. Would that mean Choice Scarf doesn't work with Dynamax as well?

Is Fishious Rend boosted by Strong Jaw? If so, does the boost apply before or after Fishious Rend's doubling effect?
Has there been an answer to this? I'm curious to see if Dracovish has an actual use for Strong Jaw.
Give two water types Strong Jaw, don't create a water bite move for them

Ema Skye

Work!
If CB doesn’t effect GMax, what about other items? Does Scarf still boost speed? Is LO recoil still happening? Do any boosting items still work?

or does it place you under Embargo effectively for three turns?

No Retreat (Falinks signature move): Since Gourgeist is in the game, we still have access to Trick-or-Treat. Does hitting Falinks with that after it used No Retreat still allow it to switch, the same way it does for Ingrain users?
Is the move repeatable for even more stat boosts, or does it make a check and fail if you're already "ingrained"?
Im not sure if anyone else covered this but I have a falinks and I tried to used no retreat twice and it failed. If a pokemon uses treat or treat on it, you can switch out. Roar also forces the switch

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Does Assault Vest prevent Max Guard from working?
If you wear Assault Vest and select Max Guard, you get a message saying "The effects of the Assault Vest prevent status moves from being used!" This happens on the turn that you try to Dynamax (prevents the turn from executing and makes you pick something else) as well as after Dynamaxing.

Asked once and I'll ask again: Do Dynamaxed Pokemon with Choice items still get their boosts despite being able to switch moves? We really need a definitive answer on this soon, these kinds of sets are tearing up Beta OU ladder right now.
So neither Gorilla Tactics nor Choice Band/Spec boost Dynamax moves. Would that mean Choice Scarf doesn't work with Dynamax as well?
I feel like this has been answered several times by now by other people, so I didn't test it myself. I don't know who did it originally and where. I tested myself and found this:
- Choice Scarf's Speed boost is not in effect on the Dynamax turn or while Dynamaxed.
In my test, Choice Scarf Corviknight outspeeds Cinderace at normal size.
Choice Scarf Corviknight is outsped by Cinderace on the turn that it Dynamaxes.
Choice Scarf Corviknight is outsped by Cinderace on both turns after it Dynamaxes.
(I did record this for the nonbelievers, but it's too big to easily upload.)

- Choice Band's Damage boost is not in effect on the Dynamax turn or while Dynamaxed.
Relevant damage calculation:
On Dynamax turn, at level 50, 93 Att Choice Band Corviknight uses 130 BP physical Max Steelstrike against Cinderace with 96 Def and does 38 damage.
While Dynamaxed, at level 50, 93 Att Choice Band Corviknight uses 130 BP physical Max Steelstrike against Cinderace with 96 Def and does 37 damage.
Expected roll for this is 36-42, would be 53-63 if Choice Band's boost were working.

- Dynamaxed Pokemon don't faint when they KO something that has used Destiny Bond.

- Perish Song functions as normal in battles. It doesn't matter whether the Pokemon is afflicted by Perish Song before it Dynamaxes or after it Dynamaxes. I'm told that raid battles work differently, probably to keep people from cheesing them.

Kris asked these things for the Hackmons crowd:
  1. Pokemon that aren't Morpeko can't use Aura Wheel: "But [Pokemon] can't use the move!" However, they can Dynamax and the move becomes Max Lightning, which does work properly.
  2. It's possible to hack the Max Moves on and use them, but they have 10 BP and don't activate any extra effects. If you Dynamax and use them, they have power "--" and do activate other effects. (Tested on Max Knuckle, Max Flutterby, and Max Starfall)
  3. Aura Wheel seems to be unaffected if Morpeko has its type changed through Soak or Magic Powder. Its type seems to be based on Morpeko's forme.
  4. We don't know how to set a mon as Gigantamax on sending it out. Likewise, we don't know if it's possible to start off with a G-max move in the same way that you can start out with a Max move.

Last edited:
Weird question, but Eternabeam's flavour text and animation have it using its Eternamax form. Does it use that form's actual stats to calculate its damage aswell? I assume not, given that it would be a strict nerf to the move, but you know what GF is like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)