Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

What happens if you use Trick to give Cherrim a Utility Umbrella when Sun is active? Who do you have to give the Utility Umbrella to in order to negate the Flower Gift boost on Cherrim's ally?

Does Utility Umbrella block Sun's 100% Harvest rate?

Does Utility Umbrella affect the HP restored by Moonlight, Morning Sun or Synthesis?

Does Utility Umbrella block Sun's affect on Solar Beam/Solar Blade?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I did some generic tests today:
  • Life Dew doesn't interact with Steam Engine at all (it won't trigger at full HP or after restoring HP)
  • G-Max Resonance will not stack with Aurora Veil. Aurora Veil + screens behaves like it did last generation (both effects can be active simultaneously, but the screens modifier only applies once in damage calculation)
  • OZY asked to check if Helping Hand can boost Max Moves (it can)
  • 16-bit damage overflow still exists in the game (thanks to SadisticMystic for designing the test)

Sejun Park discovers that Ally Switch + Healing Wish can cause a Pokemon to restore its HP immediately, which SadisticMystic says did not occur in Generation 7.

+1 252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Corviknight: 202-238 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Annoyingly, Gorilla Tactics is not implemented correctly on the calculator. It currently does not give a boost. Choice Scarf Darmanitan is capable of OHKOing Corviknight with Flare Blitz
Ah, thank you. This was gnawing at me.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What happens if you use Trick to give Cherrim a Utility Umbrella when Sun is active?
Tricking a Utility Umbrella to Cherrim-Sunshine makes it swap over to Overcast form, and tricking it away makes it change back. (Drampa has Desolate Land in this setup.)

I think rest of your questions were tested earlier in the thread here, other than Harvest + Umbrella which is impossible to test.

And a few more G-Max Centiferno/G-Max Sandspit mechanics answers:
- In doubles, hitting a target already affected by Sand Tomb doesn't change that "Bound" effect, but will still inflict the ally with Fire Spin if the ally has no other binding effect.
- Binding Band increases the damage of Centiferno's Fire Spin to 1/6 max health. Even if Centiskorch leaves the field, the effect continues to do 1/6 damage.
- I showed earlier that Substitute removes the effects of Fire Spin and Sand Tomb from these G-Max moves. Rapid Spin also removed the Sand Tomb effect.

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
When a Pokemon is afflicted with Tar Shot, hitting it with a Fire-type attack displays the attack is "super effective" and will activate a Weakness Policy.

A couple mechanics related to Eject Pack:
  • Drum Beating into Eject Pack Weak Armor: Drum Beating's Speed drop resolves, then Weak Armor's Defense drop -> Speed increase resolves, then Weak Armor switches out the Eject Pack Pokemon.
  • Close Combat with Eject Pack into Weak Armor with Eject Pack: Close Combat's defense drops resolve, then Weak Armor's defense drop and Speed raise resolves, then the Pokemon that switches out afterwards is determined by Speed.
    • I used a slower Eject Pack CC Hitmontop into a faster Eject Pack Weak Armor Mandibuzz and Mandibuzz switched, then I attempted the same thing with Hitmontop leveled up a bit to have more Speed than Mandibuzz, and Hitmontop switched.

Sejun Park discovers that Ally Switch + Healing Wish can cause a Pokemon to restore its HP immediately, which SadisticMystic says did not occur in Generation 7.
So basically the Healing Wish effect becomes "pending" until a Pokémon with less than full HP occupies the targeted position.

That makes some questions for me:
1) What happens if, instead of Ally Switch, they manually switch out on the position that is awaiting a Healing Wish? (the same thing applying to Teleport, U-Turn, Volt Switch and Parting Shot)
2) What if the Pokémon in that position takes damage?
3) What if the Pokémon in that position is hit by a phazing move?
Addendum for both 2 and 3) What if the Pokémon in that position is hit by Circle Throw or Dragon Tail?
4) What if the Pokémon in that position uses a move like Substitute or Clangorous Scales?

Last edited:
Trace is basically the precedent we can follow to describe how N-Gas works against abilities like Intimidate. If Trace shows up against an un-traceable ability (like Schooling or RKS System), it doesn't announce, and instead waits until the first moment there's an ability out that it can trace before firing and taking that. Similarly, N-Gas vs. Intimidate on the lead matchup will have N-Gas fire first, suppressing the other ability so it can't fire. When Weezing switches out, the abilities stop being suppressed, and Intimidate then fires at that point if it hasn't already (in fact, it fires early enough that the departing Weezing itself is the Pokemon that gets the attack drop, which in singles causes the delayed Intimidate to be pretty much useless when it does get around to happening). This is different from the way Intimidate has worked before against a substitute, or against abilities that block it like Clear Body: in those cases it fires normally on entry, to no effect, and then never again for as long as it stays out.

If Trace is suppressed by N-Gas, it should naturally see all abilities as un-traceable, and only fire after the ability stops being suppressed. Whether or not it's possible to trace Neutralizing Gas itself on an attempting switch from Weezing remains to be seen, but I doubt it is.

Mold Breaker's list of abilities it ignores consists of abilities that can partially or fully block the effect of a running move, like Levitate, Dry Skin, or Clear Body. "Retribution" abilities, in which your move goes through just fine but then they punish you afterwards (a class that includes Cursed Body, Iron Barbs, and Gulp Missile), are not deemed to block the move even partially (even though there's some niche cases where they can be interpreted as doing so), and even a Mold Breaker still has to face the full wrath of those abilities.

If Trace is suppressed by N-Gas, it should naturally see all abilities as un-traceable, and only fire after the ability stops being suppressed. Whether or not it's possible to trace Neutralizing Gas itself on an attempting switch from Weezing remains to be seen, but I doubt it is.
The NG switch-out behaviour coupled with Trace was actually the main reason I asked. Sorry if it was unclear. If upon switch-out NG "unsets" before the switch-out completes, Trace -- being handled in the same priority bracket as Intimidate+friends -- should trace Neutralizing Gas. Or am I wrong?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The NG switch-out behaviour coupled with Trace was actually the main reason I asked. Sorry if it was unclear. If upon switch-out NG "unsets" before the switch-out completes, Trace -- being handled in the same priority bracket as Intimidate+friends -- should trace Neutralizing Gas. Or am I wrong?
Just tested this. Trace picks up the ability of the new Pokemon that's sent out, not Neutralizing Gas.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
By how much does G-Max Chi Strike increase the CH Rate? +1 per use? +2 once?

Does Stuff Cheeks activate the eaten berry's effect, or does it just waste it to get the +2 Def?

Eternabeam's description and animation mention/use Eternamax Eternatus. Does it also use its stats to calculate damage (aka it should be weaker than expected)?

And to reiterate somebody else's request: do Rain and Sun still give 1.5x boosts, or were they nerfed like Electric (and presumably Grassy/Psychic) Terrain? What about Misty's Dragon-type damage reduction?

Just tested this. Trace picks up the ability of the new Pokemon that's sent out, not Neutralizing Gas.
Random thing to test: can Neutralising Gas be copied by Role Play or similar effects? It occurs to me that one possible explanation for this behaviour is that Neutralising Gas has actually been added to the list of abilities which aren't affected by Trace, as opposed to simply not being copied as a result of N-Gas's effect.

It seems like the steps are "take down the ability first, then take the rest of the departing Pokemon out" during a switch. For Intimidate, the process of taking down Neutralizing Gas allows the suppressed ability to fire right away, while Weezing is still on the way out the door. But for Trace, when you take down the ability then there is no ability, so in order for Trace to do what it does, you have to wait for the next thing to switch in and actually have an ability.

Does this mean that if Imposter procs, the Imposter Weezing will have no ability? If it gets Neutralizing Gas, will this immediately re-suppress Abilities, potentially stopping other entry abilities (again) from running in doubles?

Does this mean that if Imposter procs, the Imposter Weezing will have no ability? If it gets Neutralizing Gas, will this immediately re-suppress Abilities, potentially stopping other entry abilities (again) from running in doubles?
If Imposter didn't pop up on entry, perhaps because Neutralizing Gas was suppressing it, it never pops up at all, not even when Weezing leaves the field and stops suppressing abilities. This is different from other entrance abilities where being suppressed from the start merely delays them, and prevents Ditto from transforming into anything, Weezing or otherwise, except by using Transform at the speed of its normal turn.

Does Gastro Acid work against Neutralizing Gas? If so, does NG being suppressed allow Trace or Imposter to work against it? (Or any other weird interactions that would let you steal NG)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)