Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

So Fairy Lock is still callable via Metronome, even though it's not available on anything. I haven't experienced it myself, but apparently using it crashes the game. Watch out? Accelerock is also in a similar situation (usable but unavailable). Tweets on the topic have only surfaced since the update's dropped, so maybe the move data or metronome logic was changed to make this possible.
I saw this on reddit, so word of the bug has spread pretty quickly. I'm mildly annoyed by the misinformation going around* but it can't be helped. Some pre-patch footage of successful Fairy Lock was found, so I'm fairly sure of my guess about the update. Thanks to the battle mechanics thread we know Accelerock/V-create have animations too. I forgot about Mat Block and Softboiled at the time, but I'm pretty sure those are the only other moves nobody currently ingame learns.

Also found out Night Daze doesn't show the HP drop properly.

*The original snapped move pastebin is only based on the generic description, not the usable move flag

Not the first time. Latias and Latios aside, since they were in XY code, none of the new ORAS megas could interact with XY. Cosplay Pikachu was locked to the game as well, not even transferable to Bank.
Even before that the assorted "third game" formes were softlocked out. Like they would gently revert if taken online, though you could still fight them locally. And of course NEP the pokemon SO locked away it couldnt even enter the trade room or be poketransported to gen 5
An even earlier example is Spiky-eared Pichu and Pikachu-colored Pichu being completely locked to HGSS. They can't be traded to any other game.

An even earlier example is Spiky-eared Pichu and Pikachu-colored Pichu being completely locked to HGSS. They can't be traded to any other game.
Righr, that's NEP. I got my names confused, calling it notched eared pichu instead of spiky.

What a bizarre event tie in that was. Weiedly I think theres a slightly updated sprite of it in banks files

Is anyone else wondering how this will affect the 2020 VGC? Does this mean that these won’t be usable this year, or that you have to pay to download the content in order to play? Barring a boycott for content that SHOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF THE GAMES FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, I’m probably going to purchase the DLC as soon as I can afford a Switch, but this will probably end up being the most amount of money I’ve ever spent on video games in a single purchase.
My question is if it should have been Isle of Armor or the Crown Tundra areas that should have been part of the game from the beginning.

Also VGC 2020 is Pokedex #s 1 - 397 (since the legends aren’t allowed) so it shouldn’t change anything. If anything, Starter Gmaxes may be allowed at Worlds. 2021 will have all of em and 2022 will be another GS Cup though probably.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
how de we feel about gamfreak selling us old pokemon+legendaries back as dlc content?
They're not DLC content. Only the actual areas and story are.
On top of that, how is this any different from what they were doing before. The third versions/second paired games also always included extra Pokemon for you to catch in addition to some extra features here and there. However, for those they charged you for a full price game and you had to play the main adventure again. This DLC (plus the free DLC which add in all the added Pokemon into the base game's dex) adds in the extra content, available Pokemon to catch, and is half price. In addition, unlike the third versions/second paired games where what you get on the cart is all you get, there's even opportunity for added content to be added later.

I'm optimistic but also keeping a close eye on what they do as this can easily be abused as we've seen with other game companies *coughEAcough*. I'm especially curious how will this now affect the development of future games, will it be a helpful tool GF can use to extend a current generations lifespan thus giving them additional time to work on a new generation longer, or will it be a crutch they lean on so they can push out a game earlier then it should and adding what was supposed to be in the base game as charged DLC later (and this included "Day One DLC", even if it is free).

Found this article that mentions rumored Kalos starters getting Gigantamax forms.

https://www.slashgear.com/pokemon-s...firmed-new-and-retro-pokemon-so-far-16607003/

Anyone know the source of the rumors and if they're likely true or entirely false?

Any new updates on what Pokemon we'll be able to trade into Sword/Shield once Home is released? Hoping they do a list before release so we don't have to manually test out what will or won't transfer into Sword/Shield the day of release.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Found this article that mentions rumored Kalos starters getting Gigantamax forms.

https://www.slashgear.com/pokemon-s...firmed-new-and-retro-pokemon-so-far-16607003/

Anyone know the source of the rumors and if they're likely true or entirely false?

Any new updates on what Pokemon we'll be able to trade into Sword/Shield once Home is released? Hoping they do a list before release so we don't have to manually test out what will or won't transfer into Sword/Shield the day of release.
This is literally the first time I have ever heard of this rumor as well as this "slashgear" website. Smells like bullshit to me, especially after that dumb rumor a website spread just yesterday about the recent Twilight Wings anime's MC having cancer despite that not being stated anywhere official.

They don't mention the Kalos starters anywhere else in the article and that specific section is just talking about g-maxes confirmed. Seems to just be a typoe of kanto starters, since what they said accurate: teased but STRICTLY speaking not "confirmed"

General rule is that you are not allowed to post rumors, though if would not be surprising if Greninja got something.

It's slowly occurring to me that the reason we got a surprisingly smaller number of Gen 1 Pokémon in SwSh than you'd expect is so they could be hyped up for inclusion in the expansions... similarly, it's probably why we got so many Gen 5s.

It's slowly occurring to me that the reason we got a surprisingly smaller number of Gen 1 Pokémon in SwSh than you'd expect is so they could be hyped up for inclusion in the expansions... similarly, it's probably why we got so many Gen 5s.
I would believe this if they were actually hyping up the gen 1 pokemon coming back, but they aren't. A lto of the returning gen 1 lines are being couched in their cross-gen preevolution or evolution, even.

I think maybe even they realized they should back off gen 1 a little though deciding to go so hard onto gen 5 was a real surprise. Course even a "little" still results in having the second most available of gens 1-7. Gens 2, 3, 4, 6 & 7 all range from 32-42 each. Gen 2 & 4 will benefit from gen 1 lines coming back in, at least.

I would believe this if they were actually hyping up the gen 1 pokemon coming back, but they aren't. A lto of the returning gen 1 lines are being couched in their cross-gen preevolution or evolution, even.

I think maybe even they realized they should back off gen 1 a little though deciding to go so hard onto gen 5 was a real surprise. Course even a "little" still results in having the second most available of gens 1-7. Gens 2, 3, 4, 6 & 7 all range from 32-42 each. Gen 2 & 4 will benefit from gen 1 lines coming back in, at least.
We've only seen one trailer, though -- and that very trailer even hyped up new forms of the starters, the legendary birds and slowpoke.

Even then it doesn't need to be directly hyping up; just an extra thing people can notice. More people are likely to be attached to and recognise Psyduck and Electabuzz than other Pokémon, for instance.

I love how this fandom will look at a generation not getting a lot of pokemon in new dexes AND a generation getting a lot of pokemon in new dexes as hints towards the next titles.
gives me real good "everything is a hint for johto remakes" nostalgia
We've only seen one trailer, though -- and that very trailer even hyped up new forms of the starters, the legendary birds and slowpoke.

Even then it doesn't need to be directly hyping up; just an extra thing people can notice. More people are likely to be attached to and recognise Psyduck and Electabuzz than other Pokémon, for instance.
Sure but then we have the main site showing off the variety of new (old) pokemon while the trailer also deployed 2 new pokemon related to gen 3 legends.

Sure but then we have the main site showing off the variety of new (old) pokemon while the trailer also deployed 2 new pokemon related to gen 3 legends.
I'm not saying it's like the entire thing they're banking on, just that it's probably the reason we didn't get as many Gen 1 Pokémon in base game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
General rule is that you are not allowed to post rumors, though if would not be surprising if Greninja got something.
At most they would allow you to get/transfer a Battle Bond Greninja. Otherwise I don't really feel other Starters are getting Gigantamax. Venusaur and Blastoise are only getting cause Charizard got one. MAYBE the Sinnoh Starters if they do the DP remakes.

I don't think that's the reason why. I think it's maybe because they put in so many Gen 5 Pokemon (most likely due to them being the most recent additions to GO), and a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon were expies of Gen 1, that any Pokemon they would have put in from Gen 1 they may have already fulfilled.

Grimer? We have Trubbish.
Drowzee? Got Munna.
Zubat? You mean Woobat.
Poliwag? Tympole chimes in.
Geodude? We're Roggenrola.
Magnemite? Klink klank.
Also the Pidove line fulfills the generic bird Pokemon role.

Not to mention all the other gen Pokemon that also fulfill roles of other Gen I Pokemon. Plus they would want to put focus on the new Pokemon and so not having Ekans means Silicobra got to be your snake of choice. Don't need a Chansey (or Audino) when you got an Indeedee. Etc.

And while many of us say Let's Go would be the reason why more Gen I Pokemon should have been included, maybe GF thinks that since Let's Go was only Gen I Pokemon we got our full of them they got a lot of the fun they wanted to do with them done with so thought to look through the other gens.

gives me real good "everything is a hint for johto remakes" nostalgia
Hoenn remakes for me. Was there many speculating Johto remakes? The big remake speculation boom didn't feel like it happened until after HGSS as that's confirmed remakes were indeed a thing after FRLG so everyone now had their eyes set on Hoenn... and now Sinnoh.

Last edited:
Hoenn remakes for me. Was there many speculating Hoenn remakes? The big remake speculation boom didn't feel like it happened until after HGSS as that's confirmed remakes were indeed a thing after FRLG so everyone now had their eyes set on Hoenn... and now Sinnoh.
Speculation before & after HGSS were totally different beasts. After HGSS they became more expected and you always get people trying to pull out something as proof, but it's a lot less. People figured a RS remake was coming eventually it was just a question of when, but you still had people look at all the new Hoenn pokemon sprites in BW1 & the leader sprites in BW2 as "proof" when of course ORAS wouldn't happen until the back half of gen 6.

But contrast this with before HGSS where every single aspect even remotely present from FRLG to Platinum was actually a secret hint! I remember so many lists of bizarre circumstantial stretches ranging from pokemon available, pokemon not available, unused songs, any reference to Johto was a "hint" up to and including "the pokeball in the pokemon center is gold and silver."

DP speculation is more much reigned in (generally it's more of "what will even be in it...")but I'll see glimmers of speculation of old and shoot straight to Johto Remake speculation nostalgia.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Whilst I was hesitant about the DLCs to begin with, I am probably fully onboard with them now. I'll only need to get the one pass for the one game that I intend to keep, and with the "free" dex update to the other, it allows me to play the games how I used to back in the "normal" days of Pokemon. I fully expect there to be another 2 expansion passes which bring everything else too, and they can flog these with Pokemon as well.

I'm actually excited to see what they have planned. I really hope the guy they have directing these can bring some sense back to Pokemon story lines over what Ohmori has been doing recently. I don't really have an issue with this sort of model going forwards, but I would now lean on GameFreak to not release twin versions. Release the same one and "pick" a side to play. While it is a model which undoubtedly makes them more money in the long run, I doubt people will put up with it going forwards for very long. AAA games don't release like this anymore and Pokemon is sort of way behind the times in that regard. Probably going over points already made, but alas.

What interests me the most about all this is how it will impact VGC rulesets and how they will keep them relevant without alienating a bunch of people. Will it remain Galar dex only? Or will the rulesets get updated after each drop of DLC to show the new Pokemon? I know everyone will have the dex update, but it will be interesting to see how they manage this. I fully expected Galar to be the start of a TCG style "old cards get phased out" type thing, but it doesn't appear to be the case with this update.

I like the character designs and I like the world designs they've shown off too. More Wild Area doesn't seem like a bad thing and it actually looks like GameFreak are finally trying to keep up with everyone else for the first time in forever.

What interests me the most about all this is how it will impact VGC rulesets and how they will keep them relevant without alienating a bunch of people. Will it remain Galar dex only? Or will the rulesets get updated after each drop of DLC to show the new Pokemon? I know everyone will have the dex update, but it will be interesting to see how they manage this. I fully expected Galar to be the start of a TCG style "old cards get phased out" type thing, but it doesn't appear to be the case with this update.
Honestly I think they'll keep the same "format".

Year 1: only original Galar dex
Year 2: all released pokemon minus restricted
Year 3: all pokemon

(all of the above still maintaining the "galar origin" tag like in previous gens)

That said, tecnically last VGC was a "first" with changing ruleset during the same year (in this case, regarding items allowed), so it is not to exclude that we might enter a era where VGC will progressively allow more pokemon in the same year.

I'd like it if Year 3 was still a ban on restricted pokemon and then have year 4 be the final anything goes year. Gen 7 had 2 years of anything goes and as a spectator it was kind of ehhhh.

How wild would it be if Year 2 was Armor & Crown dexes only though?

I'm not sure about "wild" considering Crown&Armor dexes seem to be including a metric ton of legendaries, which would basically out-BST everything else.
I will admit that I'm not 100% sure those will be in the literal Crown Tundra dex just because approx half the dex would be legends in the literal coop abyss

I will admit that I'm not 100% sure those will be in the literal Crown Tundra dex just because approx half the dex would be legends in the literal coop abyss
For now I am banking in believing that the "200ish extra pokemon" are not factoring the legendaryes. Mainly because legendaries on their own would take up what, over 100 of those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)