Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

The reason I use a 90 frame offset is because if I remember the post right the game stops seeding at around the end of the venusaur cry, but it's easier to time based on my last input.

EonTimer starts counting from that point, not when i receive the dratini. Since I'm in variable target i can set the endpoint to whatever i want while the timer is running, which I think is basically how Misdreavus' timer is supposed to work. The reason i use EonTimer instead is because it had the audio cue but i can try the other one tonight and see if it helps. Thank you for the response.

I'm trying to RNG Stakataka and I was wondering how do you find the exact frame you hit. I've used stats to see what frame I hit, but it gave me more than one result.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to RNG Stakataka and I was wondering how do you find the exact frame you hit. I've used stats to see what frame I hit, but it gave me more than one result.
Assuming you're completely stock (read: No PCalc), you can't really narrow it down any further than stats + nature (and sync y/n) if you're aiming for a cluster. Otherwise you can check PID/EC and try and confirm that way, if you have access to a means of doing so. Otherwise I guess aim for a spread that isn't in the middle of a cluster? While generally a worse idea, it can be useful for calibrating delay/

Assuming you're completely stock (read: No PCalc), you can't really narrow it down any further than stats + nature (and sync y/n) if you're aiming for a cluster. Otherwise you can check PID/EC and try and confirm that way, if you have access to a means of doing so. Otherwise I guess aim for a spread that isn't in the middle of a cluster? While generally a worse idea, it can be useful for calibrating delay/
Yeah, I'm RNGing without CFW and with physical retail. That's unfortunate though. :/

Hi, I'm trying to RNG on SoulSilver, but I'm having some troubles. With the seconds set to 30, I sometimes find myself hitting frames at 28/29 seconds instead (although the traget frame will still be close to my target one). I also have had occasions where the roamer locations were incorrect but I was still on the correct frame. Lastly, even after taking into account the adjustment when switching years/delay, I occasionally find myself hitting even instead of odd delays and vice versa. Are these common problems, and if so, are there any solutions to them? I believe I'm using 10.3.4 of RNGReporter.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Hi, I'm trying to RNG on SoulSilver, but I'm having some troubles. With the seconds set to 30, I sometimes find myself hitting frames at 28/29 seconds instead (although the traget frame will still be close to my target one).
Try increasing your target seconds in EonTimer (or whatever timer your using) by 2/1, respectively. You should note that the first timer goes up while the second timer remains the same.

I also have had occasions where the roamer locations were incorrect but I was still on the correct frame.
Right frame but wrong seed would change the roamer locations. Also make sure you enter in the previous locations into Seed to Time as that can make a difference. The RNGR also says that the search function will not work reliably unless you have all 3 released; so there's some inherent unreliability to begin with, or you don't have all 3 active.

Lastly, even after taking into account the adjustment when switching years/delay, I occasionally find myself hitting even instead of odd delays and vice versa
It's possible your search parameters are too wide and you're getting a false positive? I've never had that issue, but I've also never tried Gen 4 RNG on newer hardware (latest was probably DSi).

Your problems aren't unheard of. Not sure how much of this actually applies here, but they all are possible solutions.

Try increasing your target seconds in EonTimer (or whatever timer your using) by 2/1, respectively. You should note that the first timer goes up while the second timer remains the same.

Right frame but wrong seed would change the roamer locations. Also make sure you enter in the previous locations into Seed to Time as that can make a difference. The RNGR also says that the search function will not work reliably unless you have all 3 released; so there's some inherent unreliability to begin with, or you don't have all 3 active.

It's possible your search parameters are too wide and you're getting a false positive? I've never had that issue, but I've also never tried Gen 4 RNG on newer hardware (latest was probably DSi).

Your problems aren't unheard of. Not sure how much of this actually applies here, but they all are possible solutions.
Thanks for the insight, I’ll try doing this!

I am a bit lost with HGSS Safari Zone RNG. I loaded up the game, confirmed my seed, entered the Safari Zone, and got my encounter. The only problem is that despite doing 0 Chatot advancements, my “starting” frame (with 2 roamers) seems to be between 41 and 147 (multiple frames with the same nature, ability, IVs, etc.). Any insight as to what may be going on?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I am a bit lost with HGSS Safari Zone RNG. I loaded up the game, confirmed my seed, entered the Safari Zone, and got my encounter. The only problem is that despite doing 0 Chatot advancements, my “starting” frame (with 2 roamers) seems to be between 41 and 147 (multiple frames with the same nature, ability, IVs, etc.). Any insight as to what may be going on?
Random advances could be coming from NPCs (iirc there's at least one in the safari zone lobby) or you're tripping the step counter. I'd recommend using Elm/Irwin calls intead of roamers to check where you are (and possibly your seed) before you initiate the encounter. Once you've entered the safari zone you can check what frame you're on by following the calls, which shouldn't be too bad since there aren't NPCs in the zone itself.

Haven't been active in 6 years or so; are there still folks offering SID services? Or is there an easier way now? Found an old Plat cart, gonna clean it out

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Haven't been active in 6 years or so; are there still folks offering SID services? Or is there an easier way now? Found an old Plat cart, gonna clean it out
Still the same techniques for the old gens, but if you can transfer to the newer games there are methods to check. If you post a request here someone should be able to assist in checking it for you.

Can someone confirm if the PID on shadow pokemon (XD) is permanent/locked if you didn't RNG it on first encounter but wanted to catch it later?

I.e. Zook's Zangoose. Didn't have the snag machine the first time so I didn't RNG for it. Got the snag machine back later but the PID stays the same...? So basically, the PID can't be RNGed anymore and is locked?

I have never done RNG on Gen 7 games, so before I try I would like to ask a few simple questions:
- I assume there is no difference between US and USUM?
- I have still an untouched US and UM game. I have read here https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/sm_egg_rng_part2 that if I start with a new game I can skip Method 1 (hatch 127 Magikarp). Does this mean I will never ever have to do that method when I start RNGing eggs straight away? Only if I mess up my RNG process and safe the game I guess I have to do this step?
- I want to RNG shinies out of the eggs and I got a bit lost about TSV/PSV.. From what I understand is I only need to know my own TSV? And just Masuda Method is fine without having the Shiny Charm?
- Can I start RNG shiny eggs when I reach the Day Care/before completing the game or Pokémon League?

Overall the guide is really clear. I have done HGSS RNG in the past, but this looks much easier.

Xucrute

mt tchola
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I have never done RNG on Gen 7 games, so before I try I would like to ask a few simple questions:
- I assume there is no difference between US and USUM?
- I have still an untouched US and UM game. I have read here https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/sm_egg_rng_part2 that if I start with a new game I can skip Method 1 (hatch 127 Magikarp). Does this mean I will never ever have to do that method when I start RNGing eggs straight away? Only if I mess up my RNG process and safe the game I guess I have to do this step?
- I want to RNG shinies out of the eggs and I got a bit lost about TSV/PSV.. From what I understand is I only need to know my own TSV? And just Masuda Method is fine without having the Shiny Charm?
- Can I start RNG shiny eggs when I reach the Day Care/before completing the game or Pokémon League?

Overall the guide is really clear. I have done HGSS RNG in the past, but this looks much easier.
1 - I assume you mean SM and USUM, and yeah no difference between then besides encounter slots for wild Pokemon and Island Scan Pokemon, but those don't really matter if you don't plan on doing wild RNG (which I recommend doing on Citra).
2 - Alright first thing to know is, CFW is your best friend when it comes to anything related to SM/USUM, so if you have CFW you don't have to care about finding the Egg Seed, but in case you don't have then yes a fresh save file is the easiest way to start egg RNG, so as long as you don't somehow lose your egg seed you don't have to worry about 127 Magikarps.
3 - So the thing is every save file has a TSV (Trainer Shiny Value) and every egg has a PSV (Pokemon Shiny Value), whenever one match the other the egg will hatch shiny so in case you want fast shinies (if you don't care about being the OT of course) TSV hatching will come in handy, you just need to find someone who has a TSV that matches your egg PSV and it'll hatch shiny. And yes you only need to know your TSV so the RNG Tool knows what egg will be shiny for you. Either one is fine you can use Masuda Methode only or Shiny Charm only or both, just make sure to input the correct info on the RNG tool otherwise you'll get yhe wrong results.
4 - And lastly, yes it can be done as soon as you get to Paniola Ranch.

PS: you get your TSV checked here, as well as look for a TSV that matches an egg you got, as well as here, a sub reddit focused on SV hatching (you need to hatch for other if you want people to hatch for you btw)

1 - I assume you mean SM and USUM, and yeah no difference between then besides encounter slots for wild Pokemon and Island Scan Pokemon, but those don't really matter if you don't plan on doing wild RNG (which I recommend doing on Citra).
2 - Alright first thing to know is, CFW is your best friend when it comes to anything related to SM/USUM, so if you have CFW you don't have to care about finding the Egg Seed, but in case you don't have then yes a fresh save file is the easiest way to start egg RNG, so as long as you don't somehow lose your egg seed you don't have to worry about 127 Magikarps.
3 - So the thing is every save file has a TSV (Trainer Shiny Value) and every egg has a PSV (Pokemon Shiny Value), whenever one match the other the egg will hatch shiny so in case you want fast shinies (if you don't care about being the OT of course) TSV hatching will come in handy, you just need to find someone who has a TSV that matches your egg PSV and it'll hatch shiny. And yes you only need to know your TSV so the RNG Tool knows what egg will be shiny for you. Either one is fine you can use Masuda Methode only or Shiny Charm only or both, just make sure to input the correct info on the RNG tool otherwise you'll get yhe wrong results.
4 - And lastly, yes it can be done as soon as you get to Paniola Ranch.

PS: you get your TSV checked here, as well as look for a TSV that matches an egg you got, as well as here, a sub reddit focused on SV hatching (you need to hatch for other if you want people to hatch for you btw)
Oops, I mean indeed SM instead of US. All clear, thanks for the information! I think I will start on my USUM today. (: So I will come back here once I can start RNGing eggs and when I have questions.

I am not sure what Citra is, but my guess is that it is some sort of emulator?
I have heard about CFW, though. I don't fancy using that myself, so hopefully I won't make silly mistakes.

Xucrute

mt tchola
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Oops, I mean indeed SM instead of US. All clear, thanks for the information! I think I will start on my USUM today. (: So I will come back here once I can start RNGing eggs and when I have questions.

I am not sure what Citra is, but my guess is that it is some sort of emulator?
I have heard about CFW, though. I don't fancy using that myself, so hopefully I won't make silly mistakes.
Yeah Citra is a 3DS emulator, for Egg RNG you're good to go without CFW, anything other than egg RNG is quite annoying to do without it tho (it's still doable don't get me wrong but CFW makes one's life much easier). Good luck with your endeavor :blobwizard:

Hello, I need help about 3rd gen RNG and how to patch the Vblank problem in R/S(I'm using an emulator). The solutions I found could only work in Emerald with the Vblank fix

I think it does that too, but what I read said it helps in reducing Vblank chance of changing the iv's, since I'm hitting the pid perfectly, but not getting the iv's

Last edited:
Sounds like you're hitting another method. What are you trying to abuse? What method are you aiming for and which method are you getting?

In case no one here can answer though, I'd probably drop by project pokemon since those guys are active in gen 3 research.

Last edited:
What are you trying to capture\hatch?
Hatch shiny egg with perfect IVs on Gen7.

What is your target seed and frame? What is the delay of that seed?
Well, my problem is the 3DS RNG tool freezes everytime I press ''Shortest Path'' and hit ''Calculate''.

I will explain here what I did:
I basically follow the steps from this guide: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/sm_egg_rng_part2
So, I fill in the details of my parents and my desired shiny egg. I keep ''Frame range'' at 0 -> 50000 and hit ''Calculate''.
I pick one frame and set it as my ''Target frame'' and hit ''Calculate'' again, although nothing seems to happen.. Then I press ''Shortest Path'' and again ''Calculate'' and my program freeze. See picture below. (note: (reageert niet) at the top left of the picture means ''Does not respond'') I have tried with different frames and set as target frame, but same problem happens everytime. It's my first time to RNG on Gen7, so I assume I do something wrong, but I really do not understand what exactly goes wrong since I follow the guide step by step...
freeze.png

How did you verify your seed?

If you tried and failed, what results did you get?

Try using the egg number range, find the frame that the target egg lands on, then do shortest path. It'll tell say how many eggs to accept/reject.

Edit: Using the info you provided, it says you'd have to accept 165 eggs and reject 7 times to hit frame 4576.

Nvm, it's crashing on me too.

Last edited:
Try using the egg number range, find the frame that the target egg lands on, then do shortest path. It'll tell say how many eggs to accept/reject.

Edit: Using the info you provided, it says you'd have to accept 165 eggs and reject 7 times to hit frame 4576.
Thanks for the reply!
I tried this now and it shows me the accept/reject numbers, but again when I press ''Shortest Path'' and hit ''Calculate'' the program freeze. Why is this?

freeze2.png

[EDIT]
I filled in details for breeding anoher Pokémon (Togedemaru) and it works.
I noticed with the previous Pokémon (Cutiefly) details I didn't get a +## on my shiny frames (see my picture in my first post). I guess that causes the freeze, but again.. why?

[EDIT2]
Tried to fill in details for different parents to see what results I get, but all of them doesnt want to show me the shortest path as mentioned before... And now also for the Togedemaru doesnt work anymore. I am super lost... Without the ''Shortest path'' option I do not know which Egg I need to refuse.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)