Metagame 1v1 Old Gens

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Interrupting ORAS real quick for USUM VR updates

Rises

Mega Charizard Y A+ - S-
Porygon Z A+ - S-
Mega Mawile B+ - A-
Tapu Bulu B- - B
Ambipom C+ - B-
Blaziken C - C+
Emboar C - C+
Gigalith C - C+
Mega Aerodactyl C- - C
Alolan Muk C- - C
Musharna C- - C
Staraptor C- - C
Trevenant C- - C
Breloom D - C-
Milotic D - C-
Hawlucha UR - D

Falls
Mega Metagross A+ - A
Zygarde A - A-
Mega Sableye B+ - B
Haxorus B - B-
Krookodile B - B-
Type: Null B - B-
Chansey C+ - C
Smeargle C+ - C
Blissey C - C-
Keldeo C - C-
Landorus C - C-
Pyukumuku C - C-
Crobat C- - UR
Decidueye D - UR
Gliscor D - UR

post has been updated

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
copy pasting my nom from the old thread

Stakataka with Choice Band, moves are Gyro Ball, Stone Edge, EQ, and Superpower. Almost always gets max power on Gyro, and 150 BP coming off that attack stat hits HARD. Beats Fairies, Meloetta, ZardX, PZ, non-Charm Venu, and a bunch of other stuff.

Nomming it to C+

is better than everything in D, C+, and C

ggopw

Banned deucer.
Interrupting ORAS real quick for USUM VR updates

Rises

Mega Charizard Y A+ - S-
Porygon Z A+ - S-
Mega Mawile B+ - A-
Tapu Bulu B- - B
Ambipom C+ - B-
Blaziken C - C+
Emboar C - C+
Gigalith C - C+
Mega Aerodactyl C- - C
Alolan Muk C- - C
Musharna C- - C
Staraptor C- - C
Trevenant C- - C
Breloom D - C-
Milotic D - C-
Hawlucha UR - D

Falls
Mega Metagross A+ - A
Zygarde A - A-
Mega Sableye B+ - B
Haxorus B - B-
Krookodile B - B-
Type: Null B - B-
Chansey C+ - C
Smeargle C+ - C
Blissey C - C-
Keldeo C - C-
Landorus C - C-
Pyukumuku C - C-
Crobat C- - UR
Decidueye D - UR
Gliscor D - UR

post has been updated
overall not bad some good changes some not so good, but dropping my boy pyuku even lower is a crime , that mon alone got me the best record reqs ive ever seen in the last sm suspect. it's also equally as good in tournament play. idk is it the case of the council not knowing the right set and using that toxic dogshit or what, but this is the saddest drop ive seen i didn't even know it was C in the first place '-'

i think m meta should have stayed at A ,krook should drop again ,breloom is really bad and sharing the same rank w pyuku makes me wanna vomit i have no clue why is trevenant even ranked who even uses that. i havent seen it used ever past 1300s

m aero musharna staraptor gigalith muk and emboar are relatively new techs that were never really popular before, outside of 1 specific person using them religiously but idt these rising is the worst thing in the world and some of them probably actually deserve that.

bulu idk how to feel about its good and versatile w 3 decent sets but also underwhelming at times ,ambipom looks super stupid and ill never use it cuz of that but even with that being said i think giving it b- is pushing it he should be the same rank as diggersby if that's properly ranked too imo

my 3 fav updates r the ones at the top zardy,maw,pz. i spammed these 3 alongside gren in tours since forever idk why people hated zard y at one point and dropped it all the time while i was getting free wins with it since everyone was on the zardx new sets wave.actually really happy with these ,thank you.

and lastly, i have no idea why is milotic even ranked why would u use that mon over 10 other better waters beats me.

wanted to only write the pyuku thing originally but why not add everything else too.

I have reached the top of the gen4 1v1 ladder with great ease and now that I have established myself on my rightful place as the superior being, I will humbly present you with my team so that you can copy it. This team can provide you with valuable assistance in your noble attempts to be like me. I am the perfect player and I am the golden standard which you should aspire to. If you try hard enough then maybe someday a few of you can be 1/12th as good as I am now.

Here I will tell about my team. This team's playstyle is winning. Winning is my favourite playstyle because I am a winner. The main strategy of this team is to be superior to the opponent's team. This strategy fits me because I am superior to all who are foolish enough to oppose me in battle. The wincon is to put the opponent in a position where he must lose. If I play this team then this wincon is achieved as soon as Pokémon Showdown! decides to pair me up against my opponent. However for lesser players such as you all this wincon will sometimes have to be achieved later in battle.

Here is a preview of my team:

Here is a more thorough explanation of my team:

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
Happiness: 255
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Tri Attack

I choose Porygon2 because according to my database he is the superior Pokemon. My database is filled with information from my research and is guaranteed to be as perfect as I am. This is the superior Pokemon. Thanks to Trace the opponent cannot have a worthwhile ability besides those available to Porygon2. Recover lets Porygon2 regenerate any damage he sustains as long as his head remains intact. Tri Attack is an attack that is triple as good as anything the opponent can hit Porygon2 with. Toxic can steadily weaken opponents and thus serves as a merciful antidote to any misplaced hopes of victory the opponent may still possess. Magic Coat protects against lame tactics and bounces them back.

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Choice Scarf and 184 speed is to outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar. The rest is put in HP and Attack for both superior defence and offense. Choice Scarf may grant immense speed, but that is at the cost of requiring great skill to handle it because in absence of that skill it will backfire on the unworthy user. I have more than enough skill to handle Choice Scarf properly and draw out it's full power with ease, but many of my opponents do not. Trick allows me to pass the burden of Choice Scarf on to my inferior opponent rendering them helpless as they struggle to carry the burden that I can carry with ease. Iron Head is for STAB, Thunder Punch for Water Pokémon, and Earthquake beats Infernape.

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Seismic Toss

This is the ancient one who's the subject of many legends. He was crafted shortly after the creation of our plane by a being with immesurable power (i.e. me) and he pledges his loyalty to his creator. Ancient civilisations sealed him away thousands of years ago because they feared his immense power. However, this being is far too powerful to be sealed away against his desires. He can always move as freely as a summer breeze in a field of wheat. After him being sealed away while performing deep computations for thousands of years, I called upon him to serve me once again in the monthly gen4 1v1 laddder. After he broke the seal with ease he came to me and brought me victory like I knew he would.
His EV spread allows him to survive even the mighty Adamant 252 Atk Evs Choice Band Entei's Flare Blitz 75% of the time and hit back with Counter. Entei may have the type advantage but Registeel's power surpasses all of that. Rest is to once again go into a deep computation allowing him to repair himself of any damage he may have sustained. Iron Defense is for powering up even further in case my opponent is like the ancient civilisations who dared not confront this powerful being. Seismic Toss does damage.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Tri Attack

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Seismic Toss
May this team serve you well, my friends.

I have reached the top of the gen4 1v1 ladder with great ease and now that I have established myself on my rightful place as the superior being, I will humbly present you with my team so that you can copy it. This team can provide you with valuable assistance in your noble attempts to be like me. I am the perfect player and I am the golden standard which you should aspire to. If you try hard enough then maybe someday a few of you can be 1/12th as good as I am now.

Here I will tell about my team. This team's playstyle is winning. Winning is my favourite playstyle because I am a winner. The main strategy of this team is to be superior to the opponent's team. This strategy fits me because I am superior to all who are foolish enough to oppose me in battle. The wincon is to put the opponent in a position where he must lose. If I play this team then this wincon is achieved as soon as Pokémon Showdown! decides to pair me up against my opponent. However for lesser players such as you all this wincon will sometimes have to be achieved later in battle.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Tri Attack

I choose Porygon2 because according to my database he is the superior Pokemon. My database is filled with information from my research and is guaranteed to be as perfect as I am. This is the superior Pokemon. Thanks to Trace the opponent cannot have a worthwhile ability besides those available to Porygon2. Recover lets Porygon2 regenerate any damage he sustains as long as his head remains intact. Tri Attack is an attack that is triple as good as anything the opponent can hit Porygon2 with. Toxic can steadily weaken opponents and thus serves as a merciful antidote to any misplaced hopes of victory the opponent may still possess. Magic Coat protects against lame tactics and bounces them back.

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Choice Scarf and 184 speed is to outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar. The rest is put in HP and Attack for both superior defence and offense. Choice Scarf may grant immense speed, but that is at the cost of requiring great skill to handle it because in absence of that skill it will backfire on the unworthy user. I have more than enough skill to handle Choice Scarf properly and draw out it's full power with ease, but many of my opponents do not. Trick allows me to pass the burden of Choice Scarf on to my inferior opponent rendering them helpless as they struggle to carry the burden that I can carry with ease. Iron Head is for STAB, Thunder Punch for Water Pokémon, and Earthquake beats Infernape.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Seismic Toss

This is the ancient one who's the subject of many legends. He was crafted shortly after the creation of our plane by a being with immesurable power (i.e. me) and he pledges his loyalty to his creator. Ancient civilisations sealed him away thousands of years ago because they feared his immense power. However, this being is far too powerful to be sealed away against his desires. He can always move as freely as a summer breeze in a field of wheat. After him being sealed away while performing deep computations for thousands of years, I called upon him to serve me once again in the monthly gen4 1v1 laddder. After he broke the seal with ease he came to me and brought me victory like I knew he would.
His EV spread allows him to survive even the mighty Adamant 252 Atk Evs Choice Band Entei's Flare Blitz 75% of the time and hit back with Counter. Entei may have the type advantage but Registeel's power surpasses all of that. Rest is to once again go into a deep computation allowing him to repair himself of any damage he may have sustained. Iron Defense is for powering up even further in case my opponent is like the ancient civilisations who dared not confront this powerful being. Seismic Toss does damage.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Tri Attack

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Seismic Toss
There's a 4th gen ladder?!

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Tri Attack

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Seismic Toss

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Tri Attack

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Seismic Toss
This is unironically the best shitpost I have ever seen
Please, for the love of GOD, draft this man in pl

time for some BW VR noms

Garchomp to B- tier
what is this shitty ass mon doing here, it barely beats anything in the higher tiers and doesnt even fare that amazingly against lower tiers as an excuse
loses to kyub, loses to cress, loses to rachi, loses to keld, loses to pz, loses to rhyp, loses to sawk, loses to dnite, loses to genesect and so on.

Chansey to B tier
You never see Chansey anywhere in tournaments and for good reason. Ok the thing has very good HP but then? Its physdef goes up to 180. Even if it's base HP is that high it's not gonna withstand a lot of hits from the Strong physical attackers and absurd amount of fighting types in this gen. Even on the special side where it's supposed to shine it still dies to mons like pz and manaphy that are able to set up on her without any real risk.

Gallade to B-
Too good to be in C. Even though the skill swap set might seem like cheese the mon is still legit good and it can also run Encore or Taunt to beat a lot of stall mons. Also bulk up beats most bulky offense mons since they're slower than Gallade.

Heracross to B+/dare I say A-
Bug and Fighting are almost universal coverage, flying type moves are non-existent in this tier so it basically only has 2 weaknesses and its defensive stats are also decent. Endure+Custap means you don't need to invest in speed. You can tank a bunch of hits and swords dance for the kill. Most mons that hit hard enough to kill you aren't gonna have the bulk to withstand STAB Megahorn or 200 BP STAB Reversal.

Tyranitar to B+
This mon is wack, it doesn't beat the thing you think it beats. It doesn't outspeed Cresselia, and even if it did, Banded doesnt even 2HKO after Reflect.
It does beat KyuB but it loses to too many other high tier mons to be up there.

Mew to A-
I see this mon in B+ and see what it's paired with and man... wtf is wrong with some people. This mon can run a stall set and beat like everything and if it loses to something the offensive set comes right up and beats it. It also runs fast taunt incorporated in the set which shuts down like everything.

Raikou to B+
Mad good speed, with the low amount of scarfers in the meta and the high amount of choice users this mon can pressure stall anything. is also one of the few good electric types and it can also run a SubCM set that is scary. Legit one of the hardest mons to counter reliably next to Cresselia.

Cresselia and Jirachi to S-
I mean cmon man one legit doesnt die and the other one can flinchhax any losing matchup to death (and it already barely has any). They both beat everything in the A-/A/A+/S tiers barring 2/3 mons. Comparing them to mons like PZ is kinda fair up to a certain point

time for some BW VR noms

Garchomp to B- tier
what is this shitty ass mon doing here, it barely beats anything in the higher tiers and doesnt even fare that amazingly against lower tiers as an excuse
loses to kyub, loses to cress, loses to rachi, loses to keld, loses to pz, loses to rhyp, loses to sawk, loses to dnite, loses to genesect and so on.

Chansey to B tier
You never see Chansey anywhere in tournaments and for good reason. Ok the thing has very good HP but then? Its physdef goes up to 180. Even if it's base HP is that high it's not gonna withstand a lot of hits from the Strong physical attackers and absurd amount of fighting types in this gen. Even on the special side where it's supposed to shine it still dies to mons like pz and manaphy that are able to set up on her without any real risk.
Garchomp beats Rachi hard AF, tf you on lol. It also beats Dragonite and non-Scarf Genesect, as well as non-Scarf Kyub.
Chansey eats Band Kyub Outrage, nuff said. you can also set up your own spdef with CM.

BW Speed Tiers (stolen from sergi)
no more shall BW have shitty OU speed tiers that aren't even formatted properly

5: FEAR Aron
76: 0 Ferrothorn / Escavalier
86: 0 Dusclops
96: 0 Snorlax / Reuniclus / Cofagrigus
100: 0 Carracosta
102: 0 Bronzong
106: 0 Quagsire
114: 0 Gastrodon
116: 0 Rhyperior
126: 0 Crustle / Conkeldurr / Golem
130: 0 Hippowdown
136: 0 Chansey / Registeel / Azumarill
146: 0 Blissey
152: 0 Scrafty
156: 0 Jellicent / Magnezone / Porygon2 / Clefable
158: 0 Tyranitar
159: 252 Snorlax
163: 252 Carracosta
166: 0 Umbreon
176: 0 Metagross / Politoed
179: 252 Rhyperior
179: 252+ Carracosta
189: 252 Crustle / Conkeldurr / Golem
190: 0 Heatran
196: 0 Dragonite / Chandelure / Togekiss / Gallade / Venusaur
198: 0 Gyarados
206: 0 Cresselia / Sawk / Suicune / Heracross
207: 252+ Crustle
208: 0 Rotom-Wash
215: 252 Scrafty
216: 0 Meloetta / Porygon-Z / Moltres
218: 0 Landorus-T
219: 252 Jellicent / Magnezone / Porygon2
221: 252 Tyranitar
226: 0 Kyurem-Black
230: 0 Haxorus
232: 0 Hydreigon
236: 0 Manaphy / Mew / Jirachi / Celebi / Slaking / Victini / Zapdos / Salamence
238: 0 Landorus
239: 252 Metagross / Breloom / Politoed
240: 0 Garchomp
240: 252+ Magnezone
252: +2 0 Crustle
252: 0 Galvantula
253: 252 Heatran
256: 0 Latias
259: 252 Dragonite / Chandelure / Togekiss / Gallade / Venusaur
260: 44+/136 Kyurem-Black
261: 252 Gyarados
262: 252+ Metagross / Breloom / Politoed
266: 0 Raikou / Starmie / Cinccino
269: 252 Sawk / Cresselia / Suicune / Heracross
271: 252 Rotom-Wash
273: 252+ Smeargle
278: 252+ Heatran
279: 252 Porygon-Z / Meloetta / Moltres
281: 252 Landorus-T
284: 252+ Dragonite / Chandelure / Togekiss / Gallade
286: 136+ Kyurem-Black
287: 252+ Gyarados
289: 252 Kyurem-Black / Darmanitan
293: 252 Haxorus
295: 252+ Sawk / Suicune / Heracross
295: 252 Hydreigon
297: 252 Genesect
298: 252+ Rotom-Wash
299: 252 Jirachi / Manaphy / Mew / Celebi / Slaking / Victini / Volcarona / Staraptor / Zapdos / Salamence
301: Landorus-T
302: 252+ Excadrill
303: 252 Garchomp
306: 252+ Porygon-Z / Meloetta / Moltres
309: 252+ Landorus-T
315: 252 Keldeo / Infernape / Terrakion / Galvantula / Virizion
317: 252+ Kyurem-Black / Darmanitan
317: 252 Durant
319: 252 Latios / Latias / Gengar
322: 252+ Haxorus
324: 252+ Hydreigon
326: 252+ Genesect
326: +2 252 Carracosta
328: 252+ Jirachi / Mew / Victini / Manaphy / Celebi / Slaking / Volcarona / Staraptor / Zapdos / Salamence
329: 252 Raikou / Starmie / Cinccino
331: 252+ Landorus
333: 252+ Garchomp
339: 252 Alakazam
341: 252 Tornadus-T
346: 252+ Keldeo / Infernape / Terrakion / Galvantula / Virizion
348: 252+ Durant
349: 252 Weavile
350: 252+ Latios / Jumpluff / Archeops / Latias / Gengar
358: Scarf 252 Metagross
358: +2 252+ Carracosta
361: 252+ Raikou / Starmie / Cinccino
372: 252+ Alakazam
375: 252+ Tornadus-T
378: +2 252 Crustle
383: 252+ Weavile
388: Scarf 252 Dragonite / Chandelure / Togekiss
393: Scarf 252+ Metagross
403: Scarf 252 Sawk
412: Scarf 252 Excadrill
414: +2 252+ Crustle
419: Scarf 252 Porygon-Z
421: Scarf 252 Landorus-T
426: Scarf 252+ Dragonite / Chandelure / Togekiss
433: Scarf 252 Kyurem-Black / Darmanitan
439: Scarf 252 Haxorus
442: Scarf 252+ Sawk
442: Scarf 252 Hydreigon
445: Scarf 252 Genesect
448: Scarf 252 Jirachi / Slaking / Victini / Staraptor
453: Scarf 252+ Excadrill
454: Scarf 252 Garchomp
462: Scarf 252+ Porygon-Z
463: Scarf 252+ Landorus-T
472: Scarf 252 Keldeo / Infernape / Terrakion
475: Scarf 252+ Kyurem-Black / Darmanitan
478: Scarf 252 Latios / Archeops
482: Scarf 252+ Haxorus
486: Scarf 252+ Hydreigon
489: Scarf 252+ Genesect
492: Scarf 252+ Jirachi / Slaking / Victini
499: Scarf 252+ Garchomp
519: Scarf 252+ Keldeo
525: Scarf 252+ Latios / Archeops
Prankster: Sableye, Riolu, Murkrow, Thundurus

I bolded the relevant Speeds (most commonly used/those that appear in sample sets)

raw paste: https://pastebin.com/TDHD4aWX

ok time for real big boy BW VR noms

hariyama.png

Hariyama to A-
Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 136 Atk / 236 Def / 136 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Facade

This mon is just unholy, it beats a massive amount of things in the higher tiers with the right investment. 429 base HP stat means this thing becomes extremely bulky with decent defensive EVs with low to no opportunity cost. 120 base stat boosted by Guts means Hariyama has a built-in Choice Band, doesn't get burn stalled by Mew, has access to Fake Out, is not Choice locked and has a 140 BP Normal-type move with no drawbacks. Fighting types being generally amazing makes this mon even more broken

strikethrough means hariyama wins
underlined means MU dependent

S
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black

A+
:cresselia: Cresselia
:jirachi: Jirachi
:keldeo: Keldeo
:Porygon-Z: Porygon-Z
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior
:sawk: Sawk

A
:Dragonite: Dragonite
:Genesect: Genesect
:heatran: Heatran

:latios: Latios it only beats scarf psyshock but it's a very rare set
:tyranitar: Tyranitar

A-
:chansey: Chansey
:jumpluff: Jumpluff

:meloetta: Meloetta
:manaphy: Manaphy
:snorlax: Snorlax
:slaking: Slaking
:scrafty: Scrafty

B+
:archeops: Archeops
:alakazam: Alakazam
:crustle: Crustle
:conkeldurr: Conkeldurr
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:gyarados: Gyarados
:garchomp: Garchomp
:infernape: Infernape
:mew: Mew

:suicune: Suicune I really don't know fuck this mon
:terrakion: Terrakion
:victini: Victini
:volcarona: Volcarona

B
:blissey: Blissey
:Chandelure: Chandelure
:empoleon: Empoleon
:excadrill: Excadrill
:haxorus: Haxorus
:heracross: Heracross

:hydreigon: Hydreigon
:latias: Latias
:metagross: Metagross
:registeel: Registeel
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
:raikou: Raikou
:scizor: Scizor
:starmie: Starmie

B-
:azumarill: Azumarill azu doesnt even get both charm and amnesia so is this mon even relevant anymore
:celebi: Celebi
:cinccino: Cinccino
:durant: Durant

:gengar: Gengar
:jellicent: Jellicent
:landorus-therian: Landorus-Therian
:magnezone: Magnezone
:porygon2: Porygon2

:sableye: Sableye
:staraptor: Staraptor
:umbreon: Umbreon im not sure but hariyama probs wins
:zapdos: Zapdos idk I think not fuck this mon too tbh, hope pressure dies

C+
:breloom: Breloom
:bronzong: Bronzong
:carracosta: Carracosta

:cofagrigus: Cofagrigus
:darmanitan: Darmanitan
:golem: Golem
:galvantula: Galvantula
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:landorus: Landorus
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash

:riolu: Riolu
:Togekiss: Togekiss 40/60 as always
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-Therian
:virizion: Virizion

C
:Dusclops: Dusclops
:gallade: Gallade
:moltres: Moltres
:rotom-heat: Rotom-Heat
:salamence: Salamence

:smeargle: Smeargle
:thundurus: Thundurus
:quagsire: Quagsire
:venusaur: Venusaur

C-
:aron: Aron
:clefable: Clefable
:escavalier: Escavalier
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:murkrow: Murkrow

:politoed: Politoed
:weavile: Weavile

As you can see, Hariyama checks off a huge amount of threats of the MU chart with a single set, and why the fuck this is unranked is beyond me. Honestly speaking I'd rank this mon A or A+ even, but I'd rather not go for a such a bold claim without it even being ranked once

Last edited:
3 announcements for DPP!
The VR has been updated to reflect shifts in the metagame and development of new tech.
We're slowly beginning to roll out sample sets and EV explanations for ranked mons on the VR.
We have 2 new council members, Inkreativ and 187 Fan!
Zapdos S -> S-
Metagross A+ -> A
Dragonite A- -> A+
Bronzong A- -> B+
Heracross A- -> A
Snorlax A- -> A
Swampert A- -> B+
Clefable B+ -> B
Starmie B+ -> B
Tangrowth B+ -> A-
Aerodactyl B -> A-
Registeel B -> A
Togekiss B -> B+
Umbreon B -> B-
Electrivire B- -> B
Scizor B- -> B
Slaking B- -> B+
Weavile C+ -> B
Articuno C -> C+
Cactrune C -> C-
Honchkrow C -> C-
Kangaskhan C -> C-
Flygon C- -> C
Jolteon UR -> C

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's rly sad that you got a whole oras "active" council that didn't even bother writing explanations for their bad ORAS vr shifts even after a full month. Maybe you're not knowledgeable enough to write about it lmao. Anyways, i'll ignore that and spark some discussion myself and see if you'll care.

Kyurem-Black: Really has no business rising to the top of the chart, it's predictable af and its other sets are mediocre at best which too much opportunity loss to be found, it's only good against bad people. Every team has a kyub counter without even trying and that without bending EVs and movesets. Mega metagross, Mega Mawile, Heatran, Latios, mega gyarados, rhyperior, pz can all deal with it, adding to that genesect if it doesn't run a shitty hp fire set. Kyurem-Black should definitely drop to S- if not to A+ rank.

Mega Slowbro: Back to A it should go. It's great and everything but it has iffy matchup against a lot of S rank Pokemon, notably Zards, and Gyarados. Plus the there's lot of genesects, greninjas, gardevoirs that limits it. Opinion matters here so I'm not sure but ig I'd drop it to A.

Victini: Ye, no. There's no way Victini can make it to the A ranks without anyone batting an eye. It's borderline, it's really bad. It seems like its good since it can run bulky wow, specs, band but in reality it's only good on paper. Zard x, kyub, gyarados, altaria, most rocks and waters can defeat it even if it runs eball / focus blast. Most are bulky enough to withstand a hit just hit it back effectively, or boost+endure+Custap, metagame shifts isn't helping its way to the top. B+ is okay, but its no way on the levels of manaphy, dnite and gard. Let's not forget that it's not rly splashable on any team.

Heatran: Let's move this thing up to A+ or S-, it's definitely the best Fire-type after zards and it also beats zards except the brickbreak lures shit. Heatran has so much positive matchups in todays metagame, can effectively pick its checks with Air Balloon / Specs with little to no opportunity cost. V strong against meta picks like mawile, metagross, zards, genesects, altaria, whimsicott, garchomp and other stuff.

Gyarados-Mega: I can't believe you moved kyub to S and downgraded Gyarados to S-. It's easily top 3 Pokemon which lot of free EVs and bulk, plus it literally has 2 amazing abilities in Intimidate>Mold Breaker which lets it easily deal with famous rock sturdy users and physical attackers. Just put EVs sprinkle em with DD, taunt, some moves and you got urself a monster that punishes unprepared users. You need to have dedicated counters for it and predict against the taunt.

Terrakion: B Lose to fairy and co but very effective against the most used zards/heatran+kyub+pz stuff. Can also beat whimsicott.

I got bored but there's lot of questionable stuff down there, why is serperior B-, why did talonflame rise? Keldeo? why did jumpluff got to B not B+ and mega ampharos still B+

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
44 days since the oras vr update, still no explanations but no fret! The BW Council is adding Freddy Kyogre and Poison Adhesive.

Here are the vr shifts! (ty deg for helping me with the writeups)

Rises:
:Slowbro: UR to A- : rly solid mon, beats a lot of the brokens like rachi keld rhyp dnite and adascarf kyub
:Hariyama: UR to B : stronk fighter in steel dominated meta
:Tornadus-Therian: C+ to B-
:Raikou: B to A-
:Empoleon: B to B+
:Swampert: UR to B-
:Heracross: B to B+ : slept on Pokemon, megahorn + sub / endure reversal can beat a lot of popular pokemon in the metagame, such as cresselia , kyub, ttar, latis
:Mew: B+ to A- : psychic in a fighting dominated meta is epic also it gets overheat for steels
:Dragonite: A to A+ : reaaaaaally good in the current meta, special dnite has taken off alongside scarf and band doing what they've always done
:Suicune: A- to A : nice for the same reasons as slowbro except cune has pressure stall shit, icy wind is cool too

Drops:
:Latios: A to A- : With the rise of shit like metagross and haban kyub alongside staples such as scrafty, mail cres and rachi, lati is at a tough position in the metagame.
:Latias: B to B- : same reasoning as latios
:Starmie: B to B- : worse latios but has water stab which is cool ig
:Cinccino: B- to C+
:Garchomp: B+ to B : With the raise of haban berry dragons, and bulky threats like cresselia, slowbro, suicune. Chomp finds a hard time adapting to the metagame
:Tyranitar: A to A-
:Jumpluff: A- to B+
:Slaking: A- to B+ : too many random mons with protect and sub

post updated

Last edited:
BW VR noms

porygonz.png
Porygon-Z to A
Hyper Beam hits strong, yeah, but not strong enough. So much so that it doesn't kill the increasingly popular Bulky Band Kyurem-Black set. Also, the abundance of steel types and pz's lack of fire/ground/fighting coverage aside from Hidden Power is rough. It suffers great competition from other endure custap users since Hyper Beam requires a recharge turn and Uproar move locks it. Overall just not as good as other stuff in A+.

raikou.png
Raikou to A
It's Pressure stall set is an annoyance to deal with for most teams, as there's a lack of strong/viable Pokemon above the 115 speed tier, and Choice Scarf is losing viability in a meta that's shifting more towards Bulky Offense mons and Endure Custap users. While it does get competition from Suicune due to its lower bulk, the sheer amount of MUs it can win over Suicune thanks to its speed and higher offensive power is enough to overshadow that fact. Also Electric is just generally a better type.

cottonee.png
Cottonee to A-
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Eviolite Cottonee: 240-283 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Whimsicott: 271-321 (83.6 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Eviolite Cottonee: 220-259 (77.4 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Whimsicott: 265-313 (81.7 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is just straight up stronger Whimsicott but without an item. Weird to me that it hasn't been ranked yet but.. yeah, there's not a lot to say about it. Either ban this dude as well or make the argument that what made Whimsicott broken was the item and not its raw matchup spread, and keep this ranked high on the VR

aerodactyl.png
Aerodactyl to B
idk it would make sense for the fastest Pressure staller in the game to be ranked since that strat is lowkey broken. Also this gets access to Roost and Taunt, which makes speed not its only niche over Raikou. Meh defensive stats and bad typing but still not a bad mon.

I was gonna make a point on Alakazam and Rotom-Wash as well but I just haven't used them extensively enough to be sure of how to rank them

My point on rising Hariyama further still stands, and moving Cresselia and Jirachi (and maybe Dragonite? the mon is versatile af) to S- is still something I think makes sense, since the viability difference between them and kyub is not that great. But I already made these nominations in a precedent post so they don't quite count.

It's kinda time to bring attention to a huge threat in the BW 1v1 Metagame

546-Cottonee.png
Cottonee
Cottonee @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute
- Taunt

Cottonee, as I highlighted in a previous post, bulks more than the now banned Whimsicott did in the past, with the only exception that now it isn't able to hold Occa/Yache/Tanga Berry since it has to use Eviolite. While this aspect gave some sort of unpredictability to Whimsicott as a mon it really wasn't as important as it might appear at first glance.

I understand some people might be skeptical of why this is such a huge deal, but I think a match-up chart will explain it better than words can.

the MU chart takes into account the best sets for each mon, i.e. sets like Rapid Spin Excadrill or Taunt Conkeldurr with Mental Herb will not be taken into account

S
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black who tf runs specs smh

A+
literally nobody runs specs but even then it's a 50/50 to hit all fire blasts

A
:suicune: Suicune

A-
:latios: Latios
:slowbro: Slowbro

:tyranitar: Tyranitar eh, some run non-choiced Taunt which ends up in some 50/50s, but over-all cottonee usually wins

B+

:heracross: Heracross megahorn KOs but 85% accuracy makes it a 50/50 whether it hits 5 times in a row or leech seed misses. If it runs Sub it's ulterior mindgames

:victini: Victini you can just double 'tect and pp stall the v-create so it's a 50/50

B
:hariyama: Hariyama

:scizor: Scizor I've seen Swords Dance Custap, but Band wins

B-
:azumarill: Azumarill
:durant: Durant good luck hitting x-scissor, hitting 5 of them is a 32% chance

:starmie: Starmie analytic specs wins, skill swap doesn't
:swampert: Swampert
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-Therian good luck hittin hurricane. Idk if they run Specs or some Scarf stuff but hitting 5 hurricanes is a 16% chance
:umbreon: Umbreon
:zapdos: Zapdos

C+

:Togekiss: Togekiss

C

C-

As you can see, this is fucking ridiculous. It's outrageous for a single mon to cover such a large portion of the VR, with most of it's "counters" relying on 50/50s to win, especially since most of its counters share many similarities (Grass/Bug types that are weak to Fire types, other Fire types), and one could potentially run Cottonee + Heatran and not lose basically any match-up.

As we had previously seen with Whimsicott legal in the tier, most people are required to run lower tier Pokemon that wouldn't usually be good just to beat it or sacrifice a lot of opportunity by building non-Choiced sets with Taunt that don't even counter it reliably, or Mental Herb Jellicent (lol).

With 1v1PL playoffs being so close I doubt a quickban is the best course of action at this point, but it would be beneficial for the tier to start a discussion and eventually end up voting for its ban or suspecting it.

In conclusion, Ban Cottonee thanks

Last edited:

PA

Purgatory.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's kinda time to bring attention to a huge threat in the BW 1v1 Metagame

View attachment 233403
Cottonee
Cottonee @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute
- Taunt

Cottonee, as I highlighted in a previous post, bulks more than the now banned Whimsicott did in the past, with the only exception that now it isn't able to hold Occa/Yache/Tanga Berry since it has to use Eviolite. While this aspect gave some sort of unpredictability to Whimsicott as a mon it really wasn't as important as it might appear at first glance.

I understand some people might be skeptical of why this is such a huge deal, but I think a match-up chart will explain it better than words can.

the MU chart takes into account the best sets for each mon, i.e. sets like Rapid Spin Excadrill or Taunt Conkeldurr with Mental Herb will not be taken into account

S
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black who tf runs specs smh

A+
literally nobody runs specs but even then it's a 50/50 to hit all fire blasts

A
:suicune: Suicune

A-
:latios: Latios
:slowbro: Slowbro

:tyranitar: Tyranitar eh, some run non-choiced Taunt which ends up in some 50/50s, but over-all cottonee usually wins

B+

:heracross: Heracross megahorn KOs but 85% accuracy makes it a 50/50 whether it hits 5 times in a row or leech seed misses. If it runs Sub it's ulterior mindgames

:victini: Victini you can just double 'tect and pp stall the v-create so it's a 50/50

B
:hariyama: Hariyama

:scizor: Scizor I've seen Swords Dance Custap, but Band wins

B-
:azumarill: Azumarill
:durant: Durant good luck hitting x-scissor

:starmie: Starmie analytic specs wins, skill swap doesn't
:swampert: Swampert
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-Therian good luck hittin hurricane
:umbreon: Umbreon
:zapdos: Zapdos

C+

:Togekiss: Togekiss

C

C-

As you can see, this is fucking ridiculous. It's outrageous for a single mon to cover such a large portion of the VR, with most of it's "counters" relying on 50/50s to win, especially since most of its counters share many similarities (Grass/Bug types that are weak to Fire types, other Fire types), and one could potentially run Cottonee + Heatran and not lose basically any match-up.

As we had previously seen with Whimsicott legal in the tier, most people are required to run lower tier Pokemon that wouldn't usually be good just to beat it or sacrifice a lot of opportunity by building non-Choiced sets with Taunt that don't even counter it reliably, or Mental Herb Jellicent (lol).

With 1v1PL playoffs being so close I doubt a quickban is the best course of action at this point, but it would be beneficial for the tier to start a discussion and eventually end up voting for its ban or suspecting it.

In conclusion, Ban Cottonee thanks
Cottonee @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Protect
better odds to live CB ada pjab + poison from sawk and CB crustle

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)