Metagame Flipped

Art by Dharma
Council: flying moose, SBPC, shnowshner

Flipped

Premise:
All pokemon have their base stats flipped. (HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe --> Spe/SpD/SpA/Def/Atk/HP)

With this simple flip, the roles of almost all pokemon are fundamentally changed. Fast, physical attackers turn into specially defensive tanks. Slow pokemon with high defenses are now glass cannons. High HP mons are now speed demons. Some may adapt to their new roles, others will not. The overall patterns of stat distributions will be very different, creating a fundamentally different metagame. All this, despite BST remaining exactly the same.

Clauses: Standard OU clauses and rule-set.

Banlist:
Pokemon: Steelix (reasoning1, 2), Blissey (reasoning), Azumarill (reasoning), Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Dialga, Eternatus, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lugia, Lunala, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mewtwo, Necrozma-Dawn Wings, Necrozma-Dusk Mane, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Solgaleo, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-Crowned, Zekrom, Zygarde, Zygarde-Complete
Abilities: Psychic Surge (reasoning)
Moves: Shell Smash (reasoning), Psychic Terrain (same reasoning as above), Baton Pass

Unbans: Darmanitan-Galar, Dracovish, Cinderace, Genesect, Landorus, Magearna, Naganadel, Pheromosa, Spectrier, Urshifu

1) New Speed Tiers. In normal play, there is surprisingly little variation in the HP stats of fully evolved pokemon. Not that many have HP stats above 100, and very few have HP below 50 or 60. In Flipped, this means that things like speed EV investment and Choice Scarf can give you the jump on a lot.
2) Many Glass Cannons. Unlike HP, standard play does have many fully-evolved pokemon with abysmal speed stats. Such pokemon are usually highly defensive. This translates to a large number of pokemon with very frail HP and incredible offense.
3) Modified Type Conventions. It's no secret that there are some common stat patterns associated with each type, and these are now inverted in Flipped. Steel pokemon that were once slow and defensive are now frail and unviable, while the meta is teaming with defensive dragons, leading to the rise of physically offensive fairies. And as a result, Fire and Poison types have joined the defensive ranks.
4) The Challenge of Change. Many moves are associated with certain stat spreads. There are more slow bulky pokemon with recovery than fast ones, and often offensive pokemon get better coverage. In Flipped, this means many recovery users will be frail, though at the same time, many sweepers will be limited by their offensive options. The pokemon who make the transition most successfully will be the ones with the movepool to adapt.

:ss/Sylveon:
Sylveon @ Pixie Plate/Choice Band
Ability: Pixillate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Body Slam/Facade
- Quick Attack
- Double Edge
- Wish/Yawn/Protect/Heal Bell
New Stats: 60/130/110/65/65/95
With its incredible power and great speed, Sylveon is one of the meta's defining threats. Its physical movepool is essentially limited to pixillated normal moves, but that's really all it needs, giving it the power to both smash through walls and pick off faster, frailer threats. The last slot provides a support or longevity-prolonging move to use when forcing a switch. Double Edge can be dropped to allow you to use two of these in conjunction (usually Wish + Protect).

:ss/Arcanine:
Arcanine @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
- Morning Sun
- Teleport
New Stats: 95/80/100/80/110/90
Arcanine has great defenses on both sides of the spectrum, and is one of the best switch-ins to Sylveon. Arcanine excels as a pivot and status-spreader, coming in on powerful attacks to spread status or Teleport to an appropriate counter. Arcanine can even run Extremespeed to surprise foes and pick off a weakened opponent, although having to drop Wisp or Teleport is unfortunate.

:ss/Espeon:
Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell/Toxic
New Stats: 110/95/130/60/65/65
The standard Espeon set. Espeon provides incredible team support, bouncing hazards and keeping its teammates healthy--making it a great partner for creatures that offer important functions but lack good healing of their own, such as Dragapult, Salazzle, and the Hitmon family. Espeon can even break the occasional screens with its attacking move. Vulnerable to special attackers like Tyranitar.

:ss/Hitmontop:
Hitmontop @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
Fake Out
Mach Punch
Rapid Spin
Brutal Swing/ Close Combat/ Bullet Punch
New Stats: 70/110/35/95/95/50
Hitmontop offers powerful priority that allows it to OHKO many of the most dangerous glass cannons, including Rhyperior, Avalugg, Snorlax, and Coalossal. Even if they carry Sturdy or Focus Sash, Hitmontop can still eliminate them with it's access to Fake Out. Top's other key service is Rapid Spin support. The last slot offers a choice between the ability to hit Ghosts, a high-powered Fighting STAB to dent defensive switch-ins, or priority to hurt Fairies. This moveset is ideal for an Assault Vest, which allows it to tank or switch in on (a limited number of) powerful special attacks, though it can't handle physical hits. Stall teams may prefer to utilize its cousins for greater SpD longevity over attacking power.

:sm/Accelgor:
Accelgor @ Leftovers/Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes/ Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Final Gambit
- U-turn
New Stats: 145/60/100/40/70/80
Accelgor is now a defensive behemoth that serves as a Spikes stacker and pivot. While it suffers from being passive, its access to a high HP Final Gambit means the opponent always has to be wary of having a key mon taken out by an Accelgor sacrifice, so it can force switches giving you free U-turns or hazard stacking.

FAQ
How are the stat changes applied?
Base stats are flipped prior to teambuilding. The teambuilder won't display the altered stats, but you should apply natures and EVs as you normally would. If, for example, you want a max speed Snorlax, you would still invest EVs in speed and choose a Jolly nature. To know the correct value of a final calculated stat, I recommend using the damage calculator.

How do items work in this format?
Because only the base stats of each Pokemon are flipped, items remain unaffected and function as normal.

What happens with form-changing pokemon?
In normal play, most pokemon who can change form mid-battle acquire a new speed stat, which in this meta would result in a new HP--an event that cannot occur. This means that all form-changing pokemon, like Darmanitan-Zen, Wishiwashi, and Eiscue, will retain the HP of their base form, derived from the base form's original speed stat.

What about Shedinja?
Shedinja now has 40/30/30/45/90/1 stats, but Shedinja will still have only 1 HP, because it is hard-coded as such, and this programming is completely independent of the flipped stats. Its speed will scale the same way as all other stats do, giving it more than 1 speed point at level 100.

Is there a Discord channel?
Yes, follow this link.

Where is this playable?
We are now playable on ROM! Please go to rom.psim.us.

April 2, 2020: Metagame approved by The Immortal, drampa's grandpa, and Ransei
April 31, 2020: Flipped selected as Leader's Choice for the month of May
May 1, 2020: Council quickbans Psychic Surge and Psychic Terrain
May 4, 2020: Council quickbans Shell Smash
May 27, 2020: Council bans Steelix
September 21, 2020: Council quickbans Blissey and Azumarill
March 31, 2022: Flipped selected as Leader's Choice for the month of April

Last edited:
New Viability Rankings coming soon!

S Rank
For absolutely metagame defining pokemon

:Rhyperior: Rhyperior
:Sylveon: Sylveon

A Ranks:
For incredibly prominent pokemon in the metagame, with few drawbacks that are surpassed by their strengths

A+:
:Arcanine: Arcanine
:Dracovish: Dracovish
:Espeon: Espeon
:Goodra: Goodra

A:
:Hitmontop: Hitmontop
:Avalugg: Avalugg
:Dragapult: Dragapult
:Zeraora: Zeraora
:Kyurem: Kyurem
:Snorlax: Snorlax

A-:
:Clefable: Clefable
:Cobalion: Cobalion
:Diggersby: Diggersby
:Necrozma: Necrozma
:Roserade: Roserade
:Salazzle:Salazzle

B Ranks:
For strong pokemon that can have some trouble fitting onto teams due to their weaknesses

B+:
:Accelgor: Accelgor
:Araquanid: Araquanid
:Chandelure: Chandelure
:Duraludon: Duraludon
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon
:Keldeo: Keldeo
:Jirachi: Jirachi
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar

B:
:Coalossal: Coalossal
:Dracozolt: Dracozolt
:Pelipper: Pelipper
:Primarina: Primarina
:Ribombee: Ribombee
:Togekiss: Togekiss
:Virizion: Virizion
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott

B-:
:Gengar: Gengar
:Gourgeist: Gourgeist-Super
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:Hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:Kommo-o: Kommo-o
:Mantine: Mantine
:Mew: Mew
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat

C Ranks:
For pokemon that can be usuable in the metagame, but struggle greatly due to their competition or lack of viability in performing their roles.

C+:
:Centiskorch: Centiskorch
:Ditto: Ditto
:Hippowdon: Hippowdon
:Rhydon: Rhydon
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash
:Torkoal: Torkoal
:Xatu: Xatu

C:
:Arctozolt: Arctozolt
:Cloyster: Cloyster
:Excadrill: Excadrill
:Flygon: Flygon
:Hawlucha: Hawlucha
:Hitmonchan: Hitmonchan
:Liepard: Liepard
:Persian-Alola: Persian-Alola
:Shuckle: Shuckle
:Throh: Throh
:Weavile: Weavile

C-:
:Arctovish: Arctovish
:Drifblim: Drifblim
:Gyarados: Gyarados
:Jolteon: Jolteon
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu
:Ninjask: Ninjask
:Seismitoad: Seismitoad

Last edited:
Speed Tier values are presented in the following order:

Base Stat: xi (xii) +A, B, C, -D (x1.5=E, x2=F)

xi= notable offensive pokemon (more likely to run max speed)
(xii)= notable defensive pokemon (unlikely to invest in speed)
A= max speed (252 EVs with positive nature)
B= invested speed (252 EVs with neutral nature)
C= uninvested speed (0 EVs with neutral nature)
D= minimum speed (0 EVs and 0 IVs with negative nature)... only shown when relevant
E= max speed with 1.5x boost (e.g. Choice Scarf or Dragon Dance)... only shown when relevant
F= max speed with 2x boost (e.g. Rock Polish or Swift Swim)... only shown when relevant

Tier 1: Ultrafast (Outspeeds Rhyperior)
250:
:Chansey:
+654, 599, 536 (max speed is 654 instead of 658 due to the stat overflow glitch)

200:
:Regidrago:
+548, 499, 436

160:
:Snorlax:
+460, 419, 356 (x1.5=690)

150: (
:Drifblim:
)+438, 399, 336

130:
:Vaporeon:
+394, 359, 296

125:
:Kyurem:
+383, 349, 286 (x1.5=574)

123:
:Aurorus:
+379, 345, 282 (x1.5=568)

120:
:Cresselia:
:Throh:
+372, 339, 276 (x1.5=558)

Tier 2: Fast (Outspeeds Galar Fossils & Goodra, Can Outspeed Snorlax if Scarfed)
115:
:Rhyperior:
:Entei:
+361, 329, 266 (x1.5=541)

114:
:Amoonguss:
+359, 327, 244

110:
:Mandibuzz:
:Coalossal:
:Walrein:
(
:Excadrill:
)+350, 319, 256 (x1.5=525)

109:
:Nihilego:
+348, 317, 254 (x1.5=522)

108:
:Garchomp:
:Hippowdon:
+346, 315, 252 (x1.5=519)

105:
:Zarude:
:Rhydon:
:Seismitoad:
+339, 309, 246 (x1.5=508)

100:
:Tyranitar:
:Jirachi:
:Relicanth:
:Mew:
:Victini:
:Glastrier:
:Suicune:
:Urshifu:
:Centiskorch:
:Tangrowth:
:Rillaboom:
(
:Spectrier:
) +328, 299, 236 (x1.5=492, x2=656)

97:
:Celesteela:
(
:Necrozma:
) +322, 293, 230 (x1.5=483, x2=644)

95:
:Sylveon:
:Avalugg:
:Milotic:
:Grimmsnarl:
:Incineroar:
:Umbreon:
(
:Salamence:
:Clefable:
:Krookodile:
) +317, 289, 226 (x1.5=475)

93:
:Obstagoon:
+313, 285, 222

91:
:Cobalion:
:Keldeo:
:Virizion:
:Heatran:
:Dragonite:
+309, 281, 218 (x1.5=463)

Tier 3: Moderate Speed (Most Likely to Run Bulky Offense or Boost Speed with Weather/Rock Polish/etc)

90:
:Goodra:
:Dracovish:
:Dracozolt:
:Arctovish:
:Arctozolt:
:Nidoqueen:
:Articuno:
:Poliwrath:
:Politoed:
+306, 279, 216 (x1.5=459, x2=612)

89:
:Landorus:
(:Landorus-Therian:) +304, 277, 214, -164 (x1.5+456, x2=608)

88:
:Zeraora:
(
:Dragapult:
)+302, 275, 212 (x1.5=453)

85:
:Mantine:
:Togekiss:
:Gourgeist:
(
:Volcarona:
:Crobat:
:Porygon-Z:
:Porygon2:
) +295, 269, 206, -157 (x1.5=442, x2=590)

80:
:Regice:
:Regirock:
:Magearna:
:Latias:
:Tentacruel:
:Blaziken:
:Volcanion:
:Metagross:
:Registeel:
:Primarina:
:Cryogonal:
(
:Latios:
:Accelgor:
:Flygon:
:Regieleki:
) +284, 259, 196, -148 (x1.5=426, x2=568)

Tier 4: Average Speed (Can Outspeed Rhyperior if Scarfed w/ Max Speed)
79: (
:Tornadus-Therian:
:Thundurus:
)+282, 257, 194, -146

78: (
:Hawlucha:
) +280, 255, 192

75:
:Kommo-o:
+273, 249, 186 (x1.5=409)

73:
:Ninetales-Alola:
+269, 245, 182

71: (
:Genesect:
:Pheromosa:
) +265, 241, 178, -132

70:
:Aggron:
:Torkoal:
:Tapu Bulu:
:Tapu Fini:
(
:Tapu Koko:
:Duraludon:
:Sceptile:
:Magnezone:
:Weavile:
) +262, 239, 176, -130 (x1.5=393, x2=524)

68:
:Araquanid:
(
:Salazzle:
:Gallade:
:Gardevoir:
) +258, 235, 172, -126 (x1.5=387)

65:
:Dragalge:
(
:Espeon:
:Mienshao:
:Xatu:
:Persian-Alola:
:Rapidash-Galar:
) +251, 229, 166, -121 (x1.5=376)

Tier 5: Slow (Base 60 or Less, Some May Utilize Trick Room)

60: (
:Roserade:
:Starmie:
:Whimsicott:
:Pelipper:
:Polteageist:
:Chandelure:
:Gengar:
:Ribombee:
:Scolipede:
) +240, 219, 156, -112

59: (
:Kartana:
) +238, 217, 154, -110

57: (
:Klefki:
) +234, 213, 150, -107

55:
:Mimikyu:
:Gourgeist:
(
:Alakazam:
) +229, 209, 146, -103

53:(
:Blacephalon:
) +223, 205, 142, -99

50:
:Diancie:
:Cloyster:
:hitmontop:
(
:Hitmonlee:
:Rotom-Heat:
:Rotom-Wash:
) +218, 199, 136, -94 (x2=436)

Last edited:

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Took a nice little look at this OM, love the concept had a few sets to share that look pretty nifty

:Corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Hurricane
- Roost / Agility
Corviknight gets a nice little change of pace going into a solid base 98 speed tier with a very strong sitting 108 SpAtk. While it's coverage is rather disappointing, its STABs allot plenty, and Nasty Plot makes it a dangerous wallbreaker for defensive teams.

:Zeraora:
Zeraora @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off / Play Rough
- Close Combat
Trading away its speed to be rather middling, Zeraora instead becomes an inanely bulky setup sweeper with 143/102/112 bulk spread and decent attacking stats, and access to high base power STAB in Plasma Fists. This combined with its incredible coverage pool makes zeraora absolutely nuts for this meta.

:Blastoise: :Cloyster:
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Beam
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Tri Attack
Shell Smashers are self explanatory, but these two in particular get nifty little bumps, Cloyster now having an unmatched 180 Special attack, and Blastoise being able to go physical or special with its nice 100+ on both sides

Looking forward to what comes of this meta!

Hello!

Saw SBPC's post and thought this was a cool concept so I quickly made some sets looking at teambuilder. I wouldn't know if these are any good, some of them don't look great on paper because of their movepool but there isn't any metagame I can base this on so I thought I could still share them. Feel free to comment on these sets and edit them as you want.

Dragapult is your average hex mon with a really good HP and bulk of 142/100/120. If this mon had access to recovery I'd say it'd be pretty broken. I kept U-turn for momentum but you could just go with Sub or Infestation or even Hydro Pump as coverage for things like Steelix and Coalossal.

Inteleon is a hazer, that's about it. I saw Mantine in the OP and I didn't like what I was seeing with rain teams so I let me introduce you to the counter.

Salazzle is Salazzle but bulkier, I made it spdef but physdef might be better (again not much to base this on), so far I think I've made your tier worse but let me continue.

Magic Bounce Espeon is solid here, high hp high def, cm allows it to boost its spdef high and do significant damage, can't get taunted, can't get poisoned, so far I've made your metagame look awful but next mon is offensive so ig there's counter play.

Coalossal just looks like a beast, 110spe and 120spa is just rlly strong in a tier that doesn't seem to have a lot of spdef walls on preview.

Can't wait to try out this tier :)

I agree that Dragapult, Salazzle, Espeon, and Coalossal all look like major threats, although I don't think Espeon's special stats are good enough to pull off a Calm Mind set. I see it more as an incredible support mon that has many options for how to help its team: deflecting hazards, making Wishes, setting Trick Room, putting up Screens, breaking the opponent's screens with Psychic Fangs, erasing status ailments with Heal Bell, and perhaps Tricking a choice Item.

:Keldeo:
Regarding Intelleon, it certainly has impressive HP and Defense, but the problem is that it has awful attacking stats. Keldeo looks like a great alternative though. With 109/90/129/90/72/91 stats, it has similar defenses in addition to having respectable damage output, and even has good speed. Once you factor in Scald burns, you truly have a Bulky Water. Also gets Roar and Taunt to stop set-up attempts.

:Kingler:
Kingler could be a solid special equivalent. Its 70/50/50/115/130/55 stats make it a bit more of a tank than a wall. That hefty special attack will make its Scalds hurt, and the threat of a burn from such a Scald will make it risky for its physical counterplay to switch in. Its biggest problem is no special movepool beyond water attacks and Ice Beam. But Haze could be useful.

Actually, the more I look at it, Kingler would be a great counter to the Colossal set you posted.

Last edited:
Cobalion adapts with being equipped with choice specs or scarf now with a beefy 108 HP and 129 SpA total to boot:

108/72/90/129/90/91

Cobalion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Steel Beam/Air Slash
- Volt Switch

Not too shabby.

85 / 50 / 120 / 115 / 95 / 70
75 / 80 / 70 / 100 / 90 / 90
These two don't change too much, but I'd say they're overall buffed. Duraludon trades some speed and a bit of power for extra bulk, especially in its Special Defense, while Dracovish trades bulk and power for a moderate boost in speed.

80 / 115 / 120 / 95 / 50 / 85
Togekiss is completely turned on its head, now being able to take full advantage of Hustle, with Extreme Speed priority, a never-miss STAB in Aerial Ace, the new addition of Play Rough, and a few interesting coverage moves in Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt (and I guess also Smart Strike, but I can't see that being useful).

42 / 132 / 50 / 92 / 70 / 68
Thank god Araquanid is still slow and now super frail, because that power is terrifying.

95 / 90 / 130 / 90 / 130 / 125
Kyurem is bulkier and much faster. Sub Roost with Pressure and maybe Body Press sounds obnoxious.

30 / 110 / 65 / 65 / 110 / 160
Snorlax may be glass now, but oh lawd he zoomin'! Third fastest unboosted Pokemon in the metagame, only beaten by Wailord (who no longer has any offensive capability) and Wobbuffet (who will never have any offensive capability). Though once Isle of Armor drops, Snorlax will likely be overshadowed by Blissey, who is even stronger and also the fastest thing possible.

60 / 140 / 50 / 140 / 50 / 60
60 / 50 / 140 / 50 / 140 / 60
Aegislash is completely dicked over.

Cobalion adapts with being equipped with choice specs or scarf now with a beefy 108 HP and 129 SpA total to boot:
85 / 50 / 120 / 115 / 95 / 70
75 / 80 / 70 / 100 / 90 / 90
These two don't change too much, but I'd say they're overall buffed. Duraludon trades some speed and a bit of power for extra bulk, especially in its Special Defense, while Dracovish trades bulk and power for a moderate boost in speed.

80 / 115 / 120 / 95 / 50 / 85
Togekiss is completely turned on its head, now being able to take full advantage of Hustle, with Extreme Speed priority, a never-miss STAB in Aerial Ace, the new addition of Play Rough, and a few interesting coverage moves in Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt (and I guess also Smart Strike, but I can't see that being useful).

42 / 132 / 50 / 92 / 70 / 68
Thank god Araquanid is still slow and now super frail, because that power is terrifying.

95 / 90 / 130 / 90 / 130 / 125
Kyurem is bulkier and much faster. Sub Roost with Pressure and maybe Body Press sounds obnoxious.

30 / 110 / 65 / 65 / 110 / 160
Snorlax may be glass now, but oh lawd he zoomin'! Third fastest unboosted Pokemon in the metagame, only beaten by Wailord (who no longer has any offensive capability) and Wobbuffet (who will never have any offensive capability). Though once Isle of Armor drops, Snorlax will likely be overshadowed by Blissey, who is even stronger and also the fastest thing possible.

60 / 140 / 50 / 140 / 50 / 60
60 / 50 / 140 / 50 / 140 / 60
Aegislash is completely dicked over.
Totally agree with all of this. A couple more observations about some of these mons:

Cobalion and Duralodon are not only buffed, but they appear to be among the few viable bulky steels remaining in the meta. Most of the others with acceptable defenses are limited by either bad offensive stats (i.e. Excadrill and Dugtrio-A) or unsuitable movepools (i.e. Durant and Klinklang), while scores of others have HP as thin as tinfoil. I expect these two will fill the void by utilizing both defensive and offensive builds, such as the set Codsauce provided.

Ironically, Togekiss has the second highest special attack stat of all fairies, second only to Weezing. Fairy is now an almost exclusively physical type.

While Araquanid certainly is slow, it looks like it like it might have somewhat of a Magearna situation, in that it could feasibly get away with either Trick Room or a speed-improving set (in this case Choice Scarf). Granted, a scarf is not Shift Gear, and it can't set its own TR, and it shouldn't be hard be hard to guess the set based on the teammates, but the fact that there will have to be two different sets of counters probably helps Araquanid's case.

Kyurem could also be a good screen setter.

P.S. I made an edit in the OP asking what you guys think of the meta's name. All thoughts are welcome.

i think a TR team with shuckle is cool
5/230/10/230/10/20
I think that this shouldn't even be called glass cannon, more like paper nuke.
because it's TR and his defenses are literally 10, you can invest everything into attack and spa, so run LO, or maybe choice banded with something to hit mons with high defenses

Shuckle @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb / Choice Band / Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy / Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe (/ 0 HP)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Earth Power / Knock Off / Gyro Ball
- Knock Off / Gyro Ball / Guard Split

(230) 252+ Atk Shuckle Stone Edge vs. (80) 252 HP / (145) 252+ Def Chandelure: 308-366 (84.6 - 100.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(230) 252+ Atk Shuckle Stone Edge vs. (145) 252 HP / (100) 252+ Def Accelgor: 404-476 (81.7 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(230) 252 SpA Shuckle Earth Power vs. (130) 252 HP / (65) 252+ SpD Jolteon: 288-340 (62 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Running Sturdy with boots means you'll have twice the times to hit
Sturdy Shell bell with 0 IVs in your 5 HP means you heal alot of hp for an ohko, add leech seed and you're nearly up to full, so you can reactivate Sturdy.

If you're LO, run Contrary for intimidate, p shot and strength sap, and if they do, you REALLY start to OHKO everything-
this is what it does to an Espeon, aka the bulkiest mon with reliable recovery that he might hit mutually (if you run Knock Off, it's a guaranteed OHKO):

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Shuckle Stone Edge vs. (110) 252 HP / (130) 252+ Def Espeon: 328-386 (77.3 - 91%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Guard Split might look like a meme, but if you predict them to going to an Espeon, which you can't 2HKO with no boosts or LO, you can Guard Split, then have a 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, so all you need is a tiny bit of chip before you send in this nuke.
Keldeo Seems like the only check to this, but with no reliable recovery, and a Guard Split which makes him a 2HKO, it's no counter to the mighty Shuckle.

this is just to show you how frail is thing is
0- Atk Pixilate Sylveon Tackle vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 106-126 (49.7 - 59.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
How do natures work? For example, If I put Modest on a Pokémon, will it be +Spa -Atk or +Def -SpDef?

How do natures work? For example, If I put Modest on a Pokémon, will it be +Spa -Atk or +Def -SpDef?
Natures work the same as they do in the base game. The only thing that's different about this OM is that all the base stats are flipped around, but that has nothing to do with nature. So having an Adamant nature would still boost your Attack and lower your Special Attack, it'll just boost whatever your new base attack stat happens to be.

hmm, time to brainstorm up some garbage
Kommo-o
85/105/100/125/110/75
An upgrade in everything other than speed and attack

Sylveon
60/130/110/65/65/95
Wow. You'd be surprised by her physical moveset.

Frosmoth
65/90/125/60/65/70
Overall Bulk increased

Persian-Alola
115/65/75/60/60/65
decent

Stunfisk-Galar
32/84/66/99/81/109
Garbage.

Shedninja

1/30/30/45/90/1
DO NOT USE THIS

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
You successfully made a metagame so wack I felt compelled to make an account and share trade secrets.

Rhyperior @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest/Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt
- Ancient Power / Coverage
Stats: 40/55/55/140/130/115

Thanks to having the good side of Gen 1 movepools, Rhyperior ends up being one of the fastest Special Attackers in the game, and the best of those which aren't banned. Ground/Ice coverage should be as good as it is usually, and you can supplement it with your choice of Fire or Electric (Or both). Ancient Power is STAB but pretty weak, still might be useful due to your sheer power. If that's not good enough for you, Focus Blast, Flash Cannon, Surf/Hydro Pump, and Dragon Pulse are available as well. Negative physical bulk but you can probably take a couple special hits, especially with Sand up. Lightning Rod boosting your Special Attack stat has never been more useful.

Avalugg @ Never-Melt Ice / Honestly whatever boosting item you want / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Flash Cannon
- Surf
Stats: 28/46/44/184/117/95

On that note, here's Avalugg. Somehow manages to be even frailer than Rhy, while also possessing an even more insane Special Attack stat. Your coverage options are pretty limited, but Flash Cannon deals with opposing Ices while Surf knocks down Fire types. Rapid Spin is good utility and the Speed boost is excellent for setting up a sweep. Sturdy is really useful for a more offensive-utility Pokemon as it allows for revenge-kills, safer spins with HDB, and not instantly disintegrating to every Physical move in existence.

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate / ???
Ability: Pixilate
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack
- Body Slam / Facade
- [Free Space]
Stats: 60/130/110/65/65/95

Hustle Togekiss certainly looks to be the premier Fairy-type attacker, but if you want a Pokemon that won't miss Play Rough every other turn, Sylveon is going to be your friend. With the highest Physical Attack stat of all Fairies and a fantastic ability in Pixilate allowing it to use good moves not named Play Rough, along with a respectable 95 base Speed (faster than Kiss), I wouldn't be surprised to see this as one of the best breakers in the format. Pixilate-Boosted STAB Double-Edge hits like a truck. 10 of them maybe. Quick Attack is amazing Priority. Body Slam is much weaker than Double-Edge but also doesn't kill you and your poor HP stat. Facade is useful as well in case of Burns, or if you want to be insane and run a Flame Orb set. I don't know about the last slot. Sylveon has poor coverage and even poorer Physical coverage. Wish, Heal Bell, and some other support moves could be handy for teams and longevity. Honestly all you need are strong Fairy-type attacks and you'll find use from this monstrosity. Go crazy and run 4 Normal-type Attacks.

Torkoal @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
Stats: 20/70/85/140/85/70

if blastoise and cloyster aren't enough reason to suspect shell smash, this is. Outspeeds non-scarf Max Speed Snorlax at +2 even while Modest. Drought makes all STAB moves unholy. Run Eruption and/or a boosting item if you think you can not take damage (You will take damage). Thankfully, this does have some checks, like MaxSpDf Haxorus or Tyranitar. Priority also works.

Here's some more Pokemon that benefit from the changes, no sets because they are pretty straight-forward

Arcanine
95/80/100/80/110/90
Defensive Arcanine is crazy now. With Intimidate and the ability to burn you have titanic Physical bulk. Pretty passive but status and access to Teleport goes a long way.

Noivern
123/80/97/80/70/85
Looks like a decent bulky defogger, even gets Roost, Taunt, and U-Turn. Depends on how offensive the meta is really.

Diggersby
78/77/50/77/56/85
Diggersby but faster and stronger. Will be good until DLC gives us Azu. I guess there isn't much stopping you from using both, though.

Milotic
81/125/100/79/60/95
Coil sets seem fun. Not only are you boosting your Physical Defense even further along with the potential Marvel Scale, but you still have Recover. Plus, Aqua Tail becomes a strong 100% accurate move, and you can ruin lives with Hypnosis.

Those are the good Pokemon here's some trash

Lucario @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Low Sweep
Stats: 90/70/115/70/110/70

Hilariously, this is bulkier than Kommo-o even without the AV. It's also really weak, so I gave it Power-Up Punch and Justified to give it any chance it may have to deal damage. Drain Punch is great Recovery and also why the HP stat isn't set high, because it's probably necessary to get as much % back from Drain Punch as possible. 60 Atk isn't for anything in particular, it's mostly there to signify that raising Attack might be useful if you're going for boosts or to hit a certain benchmark. The rest of its movepool is dedicated to supporting the team. Here Bullet Punch is for revenge-killing the large amount of super-frail attackers, while Low Sweep can slow down switch-ins for a teammate to take advantage of. Lucario's got a nifty movepool and I could see all of Meteor Mash/Circle Throw/Counter/Force Palm/Extreme Speed/[Coverage] find some use on sets. You could also forgo AV and run Life-Dew, which is bad recovery but recovery nonetheless.

Ninjask @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Protect
- U-turn
- Defog
Stats: 160/50/50/45/90/61

I debated not releasing this forbidden tech into the world, but here's Ninjask. You lack any offensive potential outside of Speed Boost and Final Gambit, but that's all you need. 160 HP is the most in the game currently, unless Deoxys-Speed enters the fray eventually. If the opponent doesn't have a means of blocking Final Gambit, something is going to die. Speed Boost helps you outspeed more and secure a KO, while HDB means you do lose half your damage to Rocks. U-Turn on a predicted switch to a Ghost Type or just to preserve it for later. Defog was the only other move worth using.

Alternatively, use Final Gambit with Accelgor, which accomplishes the same goal while actually being good and having other things it can do besides pivot and die horribly.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bone Rush
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Stats: 80/95/55/105/65/110

Finally, a real offensive threat.

When you have massive HP and paper-thin defences, you're actually better off EVing the defences rather than HP. Moving 116 EVs into SpD and 136 EVs into Def makes you ~10% bulkier physically without affecting your special bulk, or if you want to be really specially bulky, move 248 EVs into SpD.
The point of the set is not to be bulky - it's to be fast and use Final Gambit. Final Gambit works off of the HP stat alone, so you definitely want the full investment there.
For reference, Final Gambit is a self-KO move, but it deals damage to the opponent equal to the user's HP at the time of use. Ninjask's niche in using it is having the highest HP in the game; if nothing has more HP than Ninjask does, then as long as it isn't already damaged, it's a guaranteed one-hit KO on anything if they don't manage to guard against it or weaken it with priority before it uses it. That's a big "if," of course, but it's why your top priority is HP: that niche goes to waste if you don't have the HP advantage in the first place.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
how has no one mentioned hydreigon yet?

:hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- U-turn
- Toxic

Stats: 98/90/125/90/105/92

immaculate typing and resistances, roost, u-turn, decent offensive pressure and overall super fucking bulky. i have no idea how the meta for this will turn out to be though but i can't imagine smth with those stats + that typing and movepool be bad

There's two mons that I think could possibly be put for unban status: (although it will need major review)

Marshadow:

This one has its good statline get changed into a specially defensive one of 125/90/90/80/125/90. Marshadow looses a lot from becoming slower and bulkier, namely being more prone to taking attacks. However, this stat line happens to be a good one to use Bulk Up sets with, but a lack of recovery seems to migate this a bit, considering it doesn't have room for Bulk Up, dual STAB, and RestTalk. Double Dance is a possibility too with Agility + Bulk Up, but overall Marshadow seems to have gotten worse.

Lunala:
Lunala gets completely screwed by having the lowest stat be in special attack, with a 97/107/137/89/111/137 stat line. While it becomes faster and had more overall bulk, It's physical movepool is trash. (it's just dual-STAB, (not even good dual-STAB. just Shadow Claw and Psycho Cut) Acrobatics, and Normal moves) This leaves it to rely on supportive movesets, (its support movepool, while containing Roost, is only modest) and although Shadow Shield makes it really thick, Most Dark-types appear to be able to screw it over. Lunala's typing brings two quad-weaknesses that could eat into that bulk, but perhaps it will be a bit too much for the metagame otherwise?

Pokemon I don't really see getting use-

Darmanitan G- 95/55/30/55/140/105 doesn't really seem...useful, except in the case of setting hazards, but it doesn't really have anything to do that.

Falinks- 75/60/70/100/100/65 basically means it loses speed but gains HP...and outside of Focus Blast, it's special moveset is pretty barren.

Drednaw- 74/68/48/90/115/90 sounds like a good trade off, especially since it can really abuse Swift Swim now, but that defense stat is just abysmal on a mon with a four times weakness to grass.

Pokemon that might get some love-

Machamp- 55/85/60/80/130/90 could mean a mixed attacker with No Guard, so a set up like 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe could potentially help it catch people off guard with a Focus Blast or Fire Blast. Though the lack of HP and Defense does hurt him greatly.

Mamowswine- 80/60/70/80/130/110 could mean a Stash Stealth Rocks or maybe a late game sweeper. That speed is nothing to scoff at.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Marshadow:

This one has its good statline get changed into a specially defensive one of 125/90/90/80/125/90. Marshadow looses a lot from becoming slower and bulkier, namely being more prone to taking attacks. However, this stat line happens to be a good one to use Bulk Up sets with, but a lack of recovery seems to migate this a bit, considering it doesn't have room for Bulk Up, dual STAB, and RestTalk. Double Dance is a possibility too with Agility + Bulk Up, but overall Marshadow seems to have gotten worse.
I still think Marshadow might be too much, but if not it'd definitely be a top level threat. It has a great spread for Bulk-Up sets, which isn't unique in this metagame, but comes packed with an unresisted STAB combo and a fantastic move in Spectral Thief, making it nearly impossible to safely set-up on. Drain Punch + Leftovers is perfectly reasonable recovery as well. Can also pick off some faster threats with a Technician-boosted Shadow Sneak.

Lunala:
Lunala gets completely screwed by having the lowest stat be in special attack, with a 97/107/137/89/111/137 stat line. While it becomes faster and had more overall bulk, It's physical movepool is trash. (it's just dual-STAB, (not even good dual-STAB. just Shadow Claw and Psycho Cut) Acrobatics, and Normal moves) This leaves it to rely on supportive movesets, (its support movepool, while containing Roost, is only modest) and although Shadow Shield makes it really thick, Most Dark-types appear to be able to screw it over. Lunala's typing brings two quad-weaknesses that could eat into that bulk, but perhaps it will be a bit too much for the metagame otherwise?
Cosmic Power/Calm Mind + Roost + Shadow Shield is incredible with its bulk; it's also outsped by just 4 Pokemon, and of these Snorlax is the only one with offensive capability. Access to Moongeist Beam and good Psychic STAB makes it perfectly capable of running Special sets. Both Calm Mind/Roost/Moongeist Beam/Psyshock and Cosmic Power/Roost/Night Shade/Toxic look powerful late-game. Feels way to versatile to be legal.

While on the subject, I think Melmetal (34/65/80/143/143/135) could be unbanned, moreso if the two above are as well. While it does have some the best offensive Special Stats in the game thanks to blazing speed and high attack, it has a poor Special movepool consisting of only Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt + some other Electric-type attacks, and Normal-type attacks, along with a useless ability in Iron Fist. Its lacking Physical bulk and small amount of useful status moves make it pretty predictable. You could maybe try Iron Defense + Body Press but I doubt it's worthwhile. My only issues are its insane Special attacking stats, and it might be uncompetitive with Thunder Wave + Double Iron Bash looking like a formidable ParaFlinch combo since so few Pokemon are able to outspeed it unboosted.

While on the subject, I think Melmetal (34/65/80/143/143/135) could be unbanned, moreso if the two above are as well. While it does have some the best offensive Special Stats in the game thanks to blazing speed and high attack, it has a poor Special movepool consisting of only Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt + some other Electric-type attacks, and Normal-type attacks, along with a useless ability in Iron Fist. Its lacking Physical bulk and small amount of useful status moves make it pretty predictable. You could maybe try Iron Defense + Body Press but I doubt it's worthwhile. My only issues are its insane Special attacking stats, and it might be uncompetitive with Thunder Wave + Double Iron Bash looking like a formidable ParaFlinch combo since so few Pokemon are able to outspeed it unboosted.
Melmetal might be interesting. Its special movepool is certainly limited, but I wouldn't call it "poor". I'd consider anything with BoltBeam and a nuke like Steel Beam to be at least passable. Double Iron Bash with paralysis sounds toxic on paper, but you have to remember that it only has 8 PP, and Melmetal has only 65 base attack in this format. So it won't amount to much more than 8 annoying turns and a little bit of chip damage.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Tailwind
- Roost
- U-turn

95/95/75 Def stats. Definitely an upgrade

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Though it loses offensive power, it really got faster

Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash
- Leech Life
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

65/90/90/65/115/100
Sounds quite good, but may be outclassed by Flareon

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Heal Bell

Standard

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Superpower
- Iron Tail

80/150/100/70/110/90
Definitely better

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Autotomize

Look at this:
30/65/55/200/85/75

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Superpower
- Iron Tail

80/150/100/70/110/90
Definitely better

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Autotomize

Look at this:
30/65/55/200/85/75
It's worth noting that Goodra also has a strong STAB move in Outrage (shame its best non-locking physical STAB is Breaking Swipe). I would also use a Focus Sash, or Sturdy + something that isn't a Life Orb, on Steelix, just because I imagine it would be hard to set up with 30 HP and middling speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)