Metagame Cross Evolution

Carkol with Inteleon- 85/85/100/90/80/80 gives Carkol a bit more diversity in it's moveset, and more of a reason to play with Steam Engine, and also has options like Haze to clear out stat boosts.

Klang with Hatterne- 60/130/125/120/115/30, Steel / Fairy and Magic Bounce? With access to Volt Switch, Steel Beam, Sword Dance, Calm Mind and many more fun tools to annoy your opponents with? Sign me up.
Carkoal won't have Steam Engine, it gets Intelleon's ability

I'll get this out of the way before I begin: Sneasel seems like the kind of thing to keep a close eye on until it's confirmed to actually become a problem, but Gorilla Tactics is the kind of thing that shouldn't be allowed for others to abuse in the first place.

Anyways, now onto the real topic: Corsola-Galar looks to pose a BIG problem for the tier, as it seems to have the exact same problems as Type: Null had, except somehow even worse in a few regards.

Piggybacking off the great post flying moose made, Corsola-Galar can accomplish almost anything you want it to do along with almost anything you decide to fuse it with. Because of its strong initial base stats for a Stage 1 Pokemon, it can cross evolve with almost everything to do almost anything, and there really isn't too much it's necessarily bad at doing. It can go defensive with its great base 60/100/100 stats being boosted by the big buffs that Stage 2 Evolutions grant, it can go offensive by becoming a boosting sweeper utilizing its stellar defenses and acceptable 65 Special Attack or by being creative and acquiring Body Press or even trying weaker but still bulky mixed or psychical builds, or can go utility by expanding its already-wide array of options by tapping into the abilities and support movepools of others. Corsola's Speed makes it less of an immediate or abusable threat than other notable donors, but it's a small price to pay for the freedom that it provides and the additional potential to be abused in Trick Room or pivot sets. Because its base stats are so good in conjunction with the stat buffs that cross evolution provides, tt can cross evolve with anything, which means it can do or be anything. As such, unlike others like Sneasel who can take from a lot but all have similar methods of counterplay, hard counters for Corsola-Galar are pretty much impossible to isolate.

If you played in Gen 7 Cross Evolution, you might be experiencing some de ja vu here. That's because this has all happened before! Type: Null was banned for pretty much the exact same reasons I gave you above, and Corsola-Galar is pretty much doing it all over again. Type: Null was problematic because its base stats were so ludicrous that cross evolving with almost anything made it a competent threat in the meta. Any set was viable, any team could play it, any combination was powerful, and there was no way to tell how to beat it until it was too late. Sound familiar?

Now, I can already hear you thinking that Corsola-Galar has objectively-worse base stats than Type: Null. And, you are absolutely correct. So, what makes it more of a problem like I claimed?

Easy: It's typing and movepool. Mono-Ghost is much easier to abuse with dual-type synergies than Normal ever could. One of the problems Type: Null had was it couldn't effectively cross evolve with a few other Pokemon (Say Escavalier) because its new typing would become too much of an inconvenience to warrant the other new stats, moves and abilities gained. Corsola's typing does the opposite, where it would gladly take almost any new typing it's offered with little negative payoff. Furthermore, Corsola's typing allows for better teambuilding cores and combinations given how much the available typing combinations can cover with others, and, unlike Type: Null, it lets you run other useful threats without stacking redundant type combinations such as Munchlax.

But the big problem for me is how unreasonably-huge Corsola-Galar's movepool spans. Yeah, we all know it gets WIll-o-Wisp, Night Shade, Stealth Rock, Strength Sap, Haze, and Calm Mind, which are all crazy moves to carry over with Cross Evolution. But, believe it or not, its options don't end there! Night Shade, Hex, Shadow Ball, Scald, Destiny Bond, Earth Power, Ice Beam, Giga Drain, Psychic, Rock Blast, Icicle Spear, Dual Screens, Hydro Pump, Curse, Disable, Earthquake, Rock Tomb, Power Gem, Head Smash, Throat Chop, Whirlpool, Nature Power, Icy Wind, Mirror Coat, even Iron Defense and Amnesia. Seriously, where does it get all of these tools from? More so, why are all of them useful in some legitimate or gimmicky regard depending on which Pokemon of your choice you choose to cross evolve with!?

This is a huge deal in Cross Evolution because it alleviates a huge burden on the main mechanic, that being the decision of which 2 moves to inherit off the new evolution. One of the hardest decisions to make when a Pokemon is cross evolving with another inheritor is deciding which two moves from the latter should be chosen, meaning you can't gain everything from the donor and you have to carefully decide which two moves you are locking down on and build up using the base Pokemon's tools and the rest of the team to cover up the shortcomings. This happened to be Type: Null's greatest issue, as it could only gain two moves from the donor and has to patch up the rest with its own rather-unimpressive movepool or the support from its partners. Here, because it just so happens to have almost everything it would want to gain from cross evolving on its own, the strain on creative and effective teambuilding when choosing Corsola-Galar is thrown aside because you will have everything you would ever need even if you can't inherit every move you want from the evolution. This, in turn, makes it even more flexible with other cross evolutions than even Type: Null was, and that one could already work with almost anything even with its shortcomings.

This is the difference between Type: Null and Corsola-Galar. Type: Null could choose to cross evolve with anything and capitalize off its massive base stats, but it came with the cost of having a typically-mediocre base typing and very few legitimate moves to start out with. Corsola-Galar is the exact opposite, where its stats aren't nearly as obscenely abusable as Type: Null's are but grants a fantastic typing and movepool that removes a lot of pressure in finding what specific Pokemon and moves have to be chosen to inherit over others. Even though the raw numbers aren't close to Type: Null's, Corsola-Galar has all of the tools it would ever need to be even more splashable and versitile than Type: Null could dream of because almost any team can slap it in for no real cost.

If Type: Null can't get away with what it did, neither should Corsola-Galar, as it's quickly becoming a repeat offender for eerily similar reasons. It really should be banned before it causes the same problems Type: Null did.

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Heyo, since this meta is up for OMotM voting I just wanted to bring something up for clarification. The OP states that CE uses the Ubers banlist, but there's nothing indicating how Dynamax is handled. For those of you who don't know, Ubers recently implemented a complex banlist that dictates which Pokemon can and cannot Dynamax, you can read more here if you're interested. Since CE technically inherits that banlist, that leaves the meta in kind of a weird spot since the Cross Evolutions created here are easily Uber-level in power, but are technically not restricted in their ability to Dynamax.

Personally, I think the clear solution here is to just ban Dynamax entirely. Too many elements become problematic (think of how ridiculously broken any Cross Evolution with Gyarados is - +80 Atk and STAB Max Airstream is no joke) to justify trying to ban them all and it's clear Dynamax is the root of the issue. The reasons for Ubers using a complex ban (enabling diversity) don't really apply here since Dynamax only further centralizes the metagame around the already potent threats. This is a really cool meta I'd love to see win OMotM but this is definitely a kink that should be worked out ahead of time if possible.

I'm happy to announce that Generation 8 Cross Evolution is finally here!

I already posted some replays in the OP. But here's some additional replays ->

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen8crossevolution-825269

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen8crossevolution-824814

From the looks of things, I think Hippodos or (any?) avalugg receivers + Corsola-Galar are going to be neccesary glues for none-HO teams as they keep things like zac-crown or sneasel in check. I'm really shocked (and impressed) that Wailmer x Avalugg can literally brush off anything CB Gorilla-T sneasel can throw at it. Kinda gives me hope that sneasel won't be banned this gen, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Heyo, since this meta is up for OMotM voting I just wanted to bring something up for clarification. The OP states that CE uses the Ubers banlist, but there's nothing indicating how Dynamax is handled. For those of you who don't know, Ubers recently implemented a complex banlist that dictates which Pokemon can and cannot Dynamax, you can read more here if you're interested. Since CE technically inherits that banlist, that leaves the meta in kind of a weird spot since the Cross Evolutions created here are easily Uber-level in power, but are technically not restricted in their ability to Dynamax.

Personally, I think the clear solution here is to just ban Dynamax entirely. Too many elements become problematic (think of how ridiculously broken any Cross Evolution with Gyarados is - +80 Atk and STAB Max Airstream is no joke) to justify trying to ban them all and it's clear Dynamax is the root of the issue. The reasons for Ubers using a complex ban (enabling diversity) don't really apply here since Dynamax only further centralizes the metagame around the already potent threats. This is a really cool meta I'd love to see win OMotM but this is definitely a kink that should be worked out ahead of time if possible.

Agreed. Just added Dynamax to the list of bans in the OP. Thanks for informing me!

From the looks of things, I think Hippodos or (any?) avalugg receivers + Corsola-Galar are going to be neccesary glues for none-HO teams as they keep things like zac-crown or sneasel in check. I'm really shocked (and impressed) that Wailmer x Avalugg can literally brush off anything CB Gorilla-T sneasel can throw at it. Kinda gives me hope that sneasel won't be banned this gen, but we'll see.
You say that, but Sneasel can just click U-Turn for free and force more uncontested momentum just because you switched in your hard counter.

I can understand Sneasel being retested, but Cross Evolving with Darmanitan-Galar just isn't acceptable with or without Sneasel. Giving whatever you want +50 Atk and +45 Spe along with gained access to U-Turn, EQ, Flare Blitz, Icicle Crash, Superpower, and Rock Slide/Stone Edge PLUS a free Choice Band attached free of charge just isn't a fair combination for anything to receive so easily. It even gains Freeze-Dry, so some combinations can bypass Avalugg x Wailmer on their own if their initial SpAtk is high enough.

You say that, but Sneasel can just click U-Turn for free and force more uncontested momentum just because you switched in your hard counter.

I can understand Sneasel being retested, but Cross Evolving with Darmanitan-Galar just isn't acceptable with or without Sneasel. Giving whatever you want +50 Atk and +45 Spe along with gained access to U-Turn, EQ, Flare Blitz, Icicle Crash, Superpower, and Rock Slide/Stone Edge PLUS a free Choice Band attached free of charge just isn't a fair combination for anything to receive so easily. It even gains Freeze-Dry, so some combinations can bypass Avalugg x Wailmer on their own if their initial SpAtk is high enough.

I'm honestly coming to the same conclusion as well, I've been tooling around with a lot of different sets since I made my last post, both offensive and defensive sets. Outside of avalugg-evos or Corsola-Weezing-galar sets, Sneasel *alone* with G-Tactics is nearly impossible to check, let alone counter. Keep in mind, Sneasel is one of the few Darm-G abusers that can *afford* to run Choice Band (essentially a free Swords Dance at this point..) thanks to its speed tier. Both Ponyta variants can also afford to run CB in conjunction with G-Tactics thanks to their respectable speed tiers, and same as Sneasel, are capable of easily tearing through none avalugg-evos/Corsola-Weezing-Galar sets, even monstrous defensive walls like Onix -> Vaporean struggles a bit to safely switch in. However, even then (as you mentioned) a player could just mindlessly click U-turn even if the above counters are present anyway. Long story short, I definitely agree with your stance. Assuming there isn't any push back on G-Tactics (my only argument was to wait until Gen 8 was available so that I could properly experience it for myself), I'll be adding G-Tactics (Ala Darm-G) to the list of bans very soon.

Regarding Corsola-Galar, to keep it short & Simple, I'm still going to hold off on this one until further complaints arises, you present very strong points regarding the similarities it has with Null, but I see it differently. I think Corsola-G is like Gligar in a sense it's something you absolutely have to keep in mind when team building, regardless if you're using it or not. And just like Gligar, you have a wide range of viable options of dealing with it, both defensively and offensively. However, I think what really separates Corsola-G from the likes of Null or even Gligar, is the fact it's not remotely as unpredictable as some may believe, I've tried out its offensive sets, and majority of them are actually underwhelming outside of Milotic/Frosmoth of course, if not outclassed by other ghost types who fill the offensive roles better such as Honedge, Golett, Gastly/Haunter to name a few. Null (and gligar to an extent) didn't have this problem, which in a sense actually makes them more unpredictable as any set they run could either be defensive or offensive regardless if their movepool isn't as flexible.

Corsola-G on the other hand, from what I'm experiencing so far, is going to be 8 out of 10 times running something defensive, and with the very relevant Dark types in the meta (namely Sneasel/Pawniard), I think Corsola-G won't be nearly as centralizing as Null was, but to the extent of Gligar instead. Which was proven to be neccesary as Gligar was essentially the glue that kept the meta together, am I saying the same may happen with Corsola-G with the absents of Gligar? I think so, but I can admit when I'm wrong when the time comes. Until then, like I mentioned earlier, I'll wait until further notice/complaints arises. Thank very much for your input m8!

Glad to see we can agree on Gorilla Tactics (though I still find it hard to believe allowing something like that was thought to be okay from the start, but that's water under the bridge). I just find it kind of funny that, of all of the things cross evolving with Darmanitan-Galar had going for it, the one deciding factor that makes it overwhelming was U-Turn of all things.

Onto Corsola-Galar. While I totally get the analogy, I'm a bit unsure whether it's appropriate to compare Corsola-G to Gligar. Gligar was incredible because the one or few sets it used it used to be a metagame staple, but not oppressive enough to be considered broken given its overall linearity even with all of the options it has. If you see a Gligar on the other team, you have a general idea of what to expect and can create several blanket checks for

Also, it's kind of unfair to say Corsola-G is a total repeat of Type: Null, because it's kind of the opposite. Type: Null could obtain everything it needed from cross evolving with almost whatever it wanted, thus making it splashable on any kind of team and pretty much impossible to fully counter. Corsola-G is like the inverse of Type: Null, where instead of inheriting the tools to accomplish anything, it already has all of the tools it needs to succeed while remaining extremely versatile and ambiguous, but cross evolves just to become even better and an essential slot for any team.

You do however bring up fair points that I will concede to. There are some Ghost types that Corsola-G simply cannot replicate, mainly Gastly/Haunter as a full-on sweeper, and some like Golett or Honedge that accomplish different tasks by using unique tools. Also, Dark types should blanket check most Corsola-G sets for the most part, however they could run unique cross evolutions like Umbreon or Sylveon etc to prevent this, but I feel that's a topic for another time.

I think Corsola-G is in a weird limbo between Gligar and Type: Null, where you can prepare for it for the most part with reliable blanket checks like Gligar, but the end result can be so varied given its initial strengths that it's still versatile and suffocating to the point where you could argue a blanket check doesn't truly exist like Type: Null. It's also hard to tell which side Corsola-Galar falls under because it's very hard to entirely compare it to the two given the fundamental differences it has between them.

Let's compromise and put Corsola-Galar on the watchlist with Sneasel. I could be wrong and it could be another Gligar instance, but it seems to be teetering between Gligar and Type: Null and there's no real way to tell which side it will fall on at the moment, and it's not unjustified for fearing the worst with it.

Keep up the good work, always here if you need me :D

Let's take a momentary break from the Corsola/Sneasel discussion to note some new things that Isle of Armor has to offer.

Let's look at the most eyebrow-raising new move, Flip Turn. For those who don't know yet, it's a water type U-turn with a base power of 60. Yup, 60. An ultimate candidate for a Technician boost, creating a move that hurts more than STAB Liquidation yet gives incredible momentum against switch-ins. We can make it happen in this meta.

:Carvanha:*:Hitmontop:60/150/80/65/95/100:
The strongest pivoting move you will ever get. Begging to be used with Choice Band to break and run from defensive switch-ins, but it's frail and you need to remember that 100 speed is only average in this meta. But it's fast enough and has enough raw power that it is probably the best Flip Turn option for Choice Scarf. Other great Tech-boosted moves are Aqua Jet, Bite, Scale Shot, and all that Hitmontop has to offer.

If you want something that's slightly less frail but still strong, here are the best alternatives.
:Goldeen:*:Hitmontop:60/127/120/35/125/98
:Clauncher:*:Hitmontop:65/113/122/58/138/79
:Skrelp:*:Hitmontop:65/120/120/60/135/65
Believe it or not, Goldeen actually has the highest BST of all the Flip Turn crevolvers if you leave out the unused SpA. It is second strongest after Carvanha and has a similar speed, and although it is mono-water, it has some great coverage options like Drill Run, Megahorn, Poison Jab, and Technician Scale Shot, making it a good contender for Choice Band. Clauncher has the best defenses by a small margin and a still workable speed, but has limited physical coverage (though Tech Aqua Jet is nice). Skrelp has similar defenses but with an additional Poison typing and some interesting support moves like Toxic Spikes and Technician Dragon Tail (and again, Tech Scale Shot and Top's Rapid Spin), so it is a really cool option if you want to play mind games with the opponent or control the hazards between all the pivoting.

All the above can also be done with Toxtricity instead of Hitmontop, who grants the same boost in Atk and Spd, but gives 35/35/35 defensive boosts instead of 15/60/75 (along with a possibly useless SpA increase of 60). You could also simulate the Technician boost by using Adaptability Gumshoos or Crawdaunt with any of the above.

Those are pretty much the options for Technician Flip Turn. Staryu, Squirtle, Popplio, and Horsea are all outclassed by the above, while Roserade, the only 3rd Stage Tech Crevolution, doesn't give good Atk boosts to use Seadra, Brione, or Wartortle.

:Barraskewda: :Milotic:
However, normal power Flip Turn could still be applied to many pokemon to be a good move. In particular, Barraskewda gives great Atk and Spd boosts, while Milotic obviously gives Flip Turn alongside great all-around boosts, even if it's more specially-focused.

:Clauncher:*:Chansey: :Vaporeon:
Also, last gen's Clauncher * Chansey just got a little better as a Wish Passer now that it gets STAB on the pivoting move, while the same dance can now be done by anything bulky evolving into Vaporeon, like Onix

Last edited:
If you want to use Urshifu-Single-Strikes as a cross evolution, what do we name our Pokemon?

Also, here is what Urshifu offers
Type: +Dark (Single Strike), +Water (Rapid Strike)
Ability: Unseen Fist
Stats: +40 HP, +40 Atk, +40 Def, +10 SpA, +10 SpD, +25 Spe, +165 BST
Notable Moves:
-Aqua Jet (Rapid Strike only)
-Aura Sphere
-Body Press
-Crunch (Single Strike only)
-Darkest Lariat (Single Strike only)
-Dark Pulse (Single Strike only)
-Drain Punch
-Focus Blast
-Foul Play (Single Strike only)
-Lash Out (Single Strike only)
-Liquidation (Rapid Strike only)
-Rock Slide
-Rock Tomb
-Scald (Rapid Strike only)
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch (Single Strike only)
-Taunt
-Throat Chop (Single Strike only
-Waterfall (Rapid Strike only)
-Wicked Blow (Single Strike only)
-Surging Strikes (Rapid Strike only) (And honestly should be put into the regular moves section on showdown)
-Whirlpool (Rapid Strike only)
-Snarl (Single Strike only)
Edit:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (Ponyta) @ Metronome
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute/Bulk Up
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz/Flame Charge
- Liquidation
Stats: 90 / 125 / 95 / 75 / 75 / 115
One use for Urshifu is to abuse Unseen Fist, which allows all contact moves to hit through protect.
After is was discovered that Metronome resets if the opponent uses protect.
With Unseen Fist, this becomes a non-issue since it allows all contact moves to bypass Protect.
Ponyta+Urshifu doesn’t have ridiculous stats, but having Flare Blitz and Liquidation makes it an good choice for wallbreaking, as it can spam Liquidation, which also happens to have a good chance of dropping Def for walls too.
Flare Blitz isn’t as spammable, but it’s a strong contact move Ponyta has, and Flame Change spam increases your Speed, but is generally weak.
Ponyta also has the advantage of naturally being immune to burns as well.

Urshifu (Scyther) @ Metronome/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- U-turn/X-scissor/Fury Cutter
- Wicked Blow/Crunch
Type: Bug/Dark
Stats: 110 / 150 / 120 / 65 / 90 / 130
Yeah, I don’t expect Scyther being legal for too long, here is yet more Urshifu.
Wicked Blow is a pretty good move, but has low PP, so Crunch can be used on Metronome sets.
Scyther can then pick from U-Turn for Momentum, X-scissor to have consistent damage, and Fury Cutter actually.
With Unseen Fist, Furt Cutter doesn’t have to worry about protect, and only worry about accuracy. With Metronome, the power of Fury Cutter increases along with it.
1 hit = 40 BP
2 hits = 96 BP
3 hits = 168 BP
4 hits = 256 BP
5 hits = 288 BP
+6 hits = 320 BP
All this while also being Anti-Unaware too

Last edited:
If you want to use Urshifu-Single-Strikes as a cross evolution, what do we name our Pokemon?

Also, here is what Urshifu offers
Type: +Dark (Single Strike), +Water (Rapid Strike)
Stats: +40 HP, +40 Atk, +40 Def, +10 SpA, +10 SpD, +25 Spe, +165 BST
Notable Moves:
-Aqua Jet (Rapid Strike only)
-Aura Sphere
-Body Press
-Crunch (Single Strike only)
-Darkest Lariat (Single Strike only)
-Dark Pulse (Single Strike only)
-Drain Punch
-Focus Blast
-Foul Play (Single Strike only)
-Lash Out (Single Strike only)
-Liquidation (Rapid Strike only)
-Rock Slide
-Rock Tomb
-Scald (Rapid Strike only)
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch (Single Strike only)
-Taunt
-Throat Chop (Single Strike only
-Waterfall (Rapid Strike only)
-Wicked Blow (Single Strike only)
-Surging Strikes (Rapid Strike only) (And honestly should be put into the regular moves section on showdown)
-Whirlpool (Rapid Strike only)
-Snarl (Single Strike only)
Edit:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (Ponyta) @ Metronome
Jolly Nature
- Substitute/Bulk Up
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz/Flame Charge
- Liquidation
Stats: 90 / 125 / 95 / 75 / 75 / 115
One use for Urshifu is to abuse Unseen Fist, which allows all contact moves to hit through protect.
After is was discovered that Metronome resets if the opponent uses protect.
With Unseen Fist, this becomes a non-issue since it allows all contact moves to bypass Protect.
Ponyta+Urshifu doesn’t have ridiculous stats, but having Flare Blitz and Liquidation makes it an good choice for wallbreaking, as it can spam Liquidation, which also happens to have a good chance of dropping Def for walls too.
Flare Blitz isn’t as spammable, but it’s a strong contact move Ponyta has, and Flame Change spam increases your Speed, but is generally weak.
Ponyta also has the advantage of naturally being immune to burns as well.

Urshifu (Scyther) @ Metronome/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- U-turn/X-scissor/Fury Cutter
- Wicked Blow/Crunch
Type: Bug/Dark
Stats: 110 / 150 / 120 / 65 / 90 / 130
Yeah, I don’t expect Scyther being legal for too long, here is yet more Urshifu.
Wicked Blow is a pretty good move, but has low PP, so Crunch can be used on Metronome sets.
Scyther can then pick from U-Turn for Momentum, X-scissor to have consistent damage, and Fury Cutter actually.
With Unseen Fist, Furt Cutter doesn’t have to worry about protect, and only worry about accuracy. With Metronome, the power of Fury Cutter increases along with it.
1 hit = 40 BP
2 hits = 96 BP
3 hits = 168 BP
4 hits = 256 BP
5 hits = 288 BP
+6 hits = 320 BP
All this while also being Anti-Unaware too

I would think (or at the very least hope) you can still use its exact name for cross evolving. We'll find out once they become available, hopefully a loop hole can be created or something.

[
Glad to see we can agree on Gorilla Tactics (though I still find it hard to believe allowing something like that was thought to be okay from the start, but that's water under the bridge). I just find it kind of funny that, of all of the things cross evolving with Darmanitan-Galar had going for it, the one deciding factor that makes it overwhelming was U-Turn of all things.

Onto Corsola-Galar. While I totally get the analogy, I'm a bit unsure whether it's appropriate to compare Corsola-G to Gligar. Gligar was incredible because the one or few sets it used it used to be a metagame staple, but not oppressive enough to be considered broken given its overall linearity even with all of the options it has. If you see a Gligar on the other team, you have a general idea of what to expect and can create several blanket checks for

Also, it's kind of unfair to say Corsola-G is a total repeat of Type: Null, because it's kind of the opposite. Type: Null could obtain everything it needed from cross evolving with almost whatever it wanted, thus making it splashable on any kind of team and pretty much impossible to fully counter. Corsola-G is like the inverse of Type: Null, where instead of inheriting the tools to accomplish anything, it already has all of the tools it needs to succeed while remaining extremely versatile and ambiguous, but cross evolves just to become even better and an essential slot for any team.

You do however bring up fair points that I will concede to. There are some Ghost types that Corsola-G simply cannot replicate, mainly Gastly/Haunter as a full-on sweeper, and some like Golett or Honedge that accomplish different tasks by using unique tools. Also, Dark types should blanket check most Corsola-G sets for the most part, however they could run unique cross evolutions like Umbreon or Sylveon etc to prevent this, but I feel that's a topic for another time.

I think Corsola-G is in a weird limbo between Gligar and Type: Null, where you can prepare for it for the most part with reliable blanket checks like Gligar, but the end result can be so varied given its initial strengths that it's still versatile and suffocating to the point where you could argue a blanket check doesn't truly exist like Type: Null. It's also hard to tell which side Corsola-Galar falls under because it's very hard to entirely compare it to the two given the fundamental differences it has between them.

Let's compromise and put Corsola-Galar on the watchlist with Sneasel. I could be wrong and it could be another Gligar instance, but it seems to be teetering between Gligar and Type: Null and there's no real way to tell which side it will fall on at the moment, and it's not unjustified for fearing the worst with it.

Keep up the good work, always here if you need me :D
G-Tactics was never considered as "okay". As I said in my previous response to you, my only argument was to see how it would play out first. I stated this same exact reason in my earlier reply to In The Hills who also bought up similar arguments as you did, but at that time CE wasn't updated yet. Glad we have our answers now ;)

Now regarding Corsola-G, Agreed. Even Gligar was on the watchlist for a VERY long time before it was decided rather or not it was too centralizing.

I think this is the easy one... you just name it Urshifu and you get Urshifu-Single-Strike.

Now for Urshifu-Rapid-Strike... that's 22 EDIT: 20 characters, which might be more than the limit for a name on the server. But maybe you'll be able to use one of its aliases (Urshifu-Rapid or Urshifu-R-S) instead?

Last edited:
Due to DLC coming out, I believe I have found the greatest threat to Cross Evolution.

:Sneasel: X :Hitmontop:
Ive already talked about STAB Tech Beat Up being nuts, but now GF decided to give Sneasel another move that makes it wish its ability was technician, Triple Axel. For those who don't know, Triple Axel is a physical ice type move that hits 3 times. Each hit had 90% accuracy but each hits has more power than the last. 1st hit has 20, 2nd has 40, 3rd has 60. Which means it has a 72.9% chance of being a 120 BP move, and an 8.1% chance of having 60 BP. But due to technician, suddenly this move has 30 BP at worst (which is bad), 90 BP for 2 hits (pretty good), and a max power of 180 BP. Thats not as high as Beat Up can and its quite inconsistent but still. This has got me interested.

After three busy terms I finally have some time to do some CE related stuff, and luckily enough I came back to a semi-active thread and the Isle of Armor DLC's release. I'll be updating the spreadsheet over the next few days to include the newly available Pokemon as well as fix some old errors.

G-Tactics was never considered as "okay".
This is very true, Gorilla Tactics was on a lot of watchlists even before the games were released.

Ive already talked about STAB Tech Beat Up being nuts, but now GF decided to give Sneasel another move that makes it wish its ability was technician, Triple Axel. For those who don't know, Triple Axel is a physical ice type move that hits 3 times. Each hit had 90% accuracy but each hits has more power than the last. 1st hit has 20, 2nd has 40, 3rd has 60. Which means it has a 72.9% chance of being a 120 BP move, and an 8.1% chance of having 60 BP. But due to technician, suddenly this move has 30 BP at worst (which is bad), 90 BP for 2 hits (pretty good), and a max power of 180 BP. Thats not as high as Beat Up can and its quite inconsistent but still. This has got me interested.
Triple Axel has an average BP of 94, and taking technician into account that rises to 141 BP. It's good enough in terms of raw average power, but it is, as you mentioned, inconsistent. It's also important to consider that one of the main factors that made the original Sneasel-Breloom set so powerful was access to Spore, which allowed it to pressure defensive checks by threatening to set up after a Spore and also allowed it to viably function as a lead, maximizing Beat Up's power. Unfortunately for the Hitmontop set, its potential is dampened due to its inability to break through bulky Fairies and Steels and its priority not being strong enough to take care of the offensive checks, particularly Gallade cross evolutions - not to mention that Triple Axel's average BP of 141 pales in comparison to the 200+ BP max power Beat Up.

I think this is the easy one... you just name it Urshifu and you get Urshifu-Single-Strike.

Now for Urshifu-Rapid-Strike... that's 22 characters, which might be more than the limit for a name on the server. But maybe you'll be able to use one of its aliases (Urshifu-Rapid or Urshifu-R-S) instead?
Using aliases does work (i.e. you can use "drill" to crossevo to Excadrill) but for now it doesn't seem that Urshifu-Rapid-Strike has an acronym or alias to be used. That said, "urshifurapidstrike" barely fits into the name slot at 18 characters, so hopefully it should work.

On that topic, I organized some of the new data, although Cuddly's post offers more condensed and relevant info on Urshifu.

Base weight: 12.0 kg
- Not recommended for use with Heat Crash or Heavy Slam

Type: Fighting
Stage: 1

BST: 385
- 1st Stage percentile: 94.6%
- Galar Dex percentile: 81.5%
StatBase valueFirst stage percentile (%)Galar Dex percentile (%)Stat distribution (%)
HP6080.471.315.58
Att9095.293.123.38
Def6071.464.415.58
SpA5369.161.113.77
SpD5050.042.612.99
Spe7289.387.018.70

Notes on percentiles:
- First stage percentile refers to the percentile among first stage evolvers only
- Since I haven't updated the spreadsheet to include returning Pokemon, percentiles have room to rise or fall

Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Body Slam
Brick Break
Close Combat

Counter
Dig
Dynamic Punch
Facade
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Headbutt
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Low Kick
Low Sweep

Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Retaliate
Revenge
Reversal
Rock Smash
Superpower

Thunder Punch
U-Turn
Zen Headbutt
Round
Snore
Attract
Bulk Up
Coaching
Detect
Endure
Focus Energy
Helping Hand
Leer
Protect
Rest
Scary Face
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Work Up
*STAB-moves bolded
Body Slam
Close Combat
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Superpower
Thunder Punch
U-Turn
Zen Headbutt
Bulk Up
Substitute
Taunt
*STAB-moves bolded
Kubfu can be considered to be the best first stage Fighting-type cross evolver as well as one of the best Fighting-type cross evolvers in general. It has the highest base speed of any first stage Fighting-type, and its base Att is among the highest of viable first stage cross evolvers in general. Having access to the elemental punches, pivoting in U-Turn, and STAB Close Combat is also extremely helpful. Although its mono-Fighting-type holds it back somewhat in terms of cross evolving, it can still viably cross evolve with several powerful stage 2 Pokemon, including Gyarados and the Tyrogue line.

Weight gain: +93.0 kg
- Low Kick/Grass Knot will have an absolute minimum of 80 BP and will most likely have 80 or 100 BP
- Not recommended for use with Heat Crash or Heavy Slam

Type changes:
+None/+Dark (Single-Strike)
+None/+Water (Rapid-Strike)
Stage: 2
Ability: Unseen Fist - Moves pass through and do not trigger the effects of protection

BST: +165
- 2nd Stage percentile: 58.0%
- Galar Dex percentile: 59.9%
StatGainSecond stage percentile (%)Galar Dex percentile (%)Stat distribution (%)
HP4080.883.324.24
Att4070.371.424.24
Def4079.081.024.24
SpA104.16.86.25
SpD104.15.86.25
Spe2565.863.915.63

Note on percentiles: Second stage percentile refers to the percentile among second stage evolutions only

Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Body Press
Body Slam
Brick Break
Close Combat
Counter
Dig
Drain Punch
Dynamic Punch
Facade
False Swipe
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Giga Impact
Headbutt
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Low Kick
Low Sweep
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Poison Jab
Retaliate
Revenge
Reversal
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Tomb
Stone Edge
Superpower
Thunder Punch
U-Turn
Zen Headbutt
Aura Sphere
Focus Blast
Round
Snore
Swift
Attract
Bulk Up
Coaching
Detect
Endure
Focus Energy
Helping Hand
Iron Defense
Leer
Protect
Rest
Scary Face
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Taunt
Work Up
Assurance
Beat Up
Crunch
Darkest Lariat
Dark Pulse
Fling
Foul Play
Lash Out
Payback
Snarl
Sucker Punch
Throat Chop
Wicked Blow
Aqua Jet
Brine
Dive
Liquidation

Rain Dance
Scald
Surging Strikes
Waterfall
Whirlpool
*STAB-moves granted by cross-evolving bolded
*Neither Single-Strike nor Rapid-Strike have cross evolving-granted STAB-moves in their shared movepool
Body Press
Body Slam
Close Combat
Drain Punch
Fire Punch
Foul Play
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Poison Jab
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Superpower
Thunder Punch
U-Turn
Wicked Blow
Zen Headbutt
Bulk Up
Substitute
Taunt
Aqua Jet
Body Press
Body Slam
Close Combat
Drain Punch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Poison Jab
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Superpower
Surging Strikes
Thunder Punch
U-Turn
Zen Headbutt
Bulk Up
Substitute
Taunt
Urshifu-S' main competitor should be Crawdaunt. Although Urshifu-S gets access to pivoting in U-Turn as well as strong Dark-type STABs such as Wicked Blow and Sucker Punch in addition to 5 extra base Spe, Crawdaunt has access to Dragon Dance, a much higher SpA boost, and Adaptability for an ability. That said, Wicked Blow is still a powerful move, Urshifu has a wide array of coverage options, and U-Turn allows Urshifu to run a number of sets that Crawdaunt cross evolvers would have to rely on their own movepools for.
Urshifu-R is an interesting Pokemon due to the lack of viable offensive Water-types. It mostly provides the same benefits as Urshifu-S, but Surging Strikes is the most powerful physical Water STAB outside of Fishious Rend. It also has access to priority in Aqua Jet.

Type: Psychic
Stage: 1

Body Slam
Bulldoze
Dig
Dive
Earthquake
Facade
Headbutt
Iron Tail
Liquidation
Payday
Stomp
Tackle
Zen Headbutt
Belch
Blizzard
Brine
Confusion
Expanding Force

Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Future Sight
Grass Knot
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Icy Wind
Mud Shot
Psychic
Psyshock

Round
Scald
Shadow Ball
Snore
Stored Power
Surf
Swift
Tri-Attack
Water Pulse
Weather Ball
Whirlpool
Amnesia
Attract
Belly Drum
Block
Calm Mind
Curse
Disable
Endure
Growl
Hail
Heal Pulse
Imprison
Light Screen
Protect
Psychic Terrain
Psych Up
Rain Dance
Rest
Safeguard
Skill Swap
Slack Off
Sleep Talk
Snore
Substitute
Sunny Day
Thunder Wave
Wonder Room
Yawn
Acid
Foul Play
Dream Eater
Reflect
Teleport
Toxic
Water Gun
*STAB-moves bolded
Body Slam
Earthquake
Liquidation
Zen Headbutt
Expanding Force
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Ice Beam
Psychic
Psyshock

Scald
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Curse
Light Screen
Nasty Plot
Slack Off
Teleport
Thunder Wave
Yawn
*STAB-moves bolded

Other stats are identical to normal Slowpoke.
Unfortunately, Galarian Slowpoke has very few unique traits compared to normal Slowpoke, severely limiting its viability. In addition, it lacks Teleport and Toxic, which hampers its ability to act as a slow pivot or to pressure with status. Pure Psychic-type is decidedly mediocre for a cross evolver, making normal Slowpoke objectively better than the Galarian form unless access to Foul Play somehow outweighs all the downsides.

Type changes:
+Poison/+Psychic
Stage: 2
Ability: Quick Draw / Own Tempo / Regenerator
- Quick Draw - 20% chance to move first in its priority bracket

BST: +175
- 2nd Stage percentile: 65.8%
- Galar Dex percentile: 67.3%
StatGainSecond stage percentile (%)Galar Dex percentile (%)Stat distribution (%)
HP53.24.42.86
Att3568.067.720.00
Def3066.266.717.14
SpA6092.591.234.29
SpD3063.961.217.14
Spe1536.537.18.57

Note on percentiles: Second stage percentile refers to the percentile among second stage evolutions only

Avalanche
Body Slam
Brick Break
Bulldoze
Dig
Dive
Drain Punch
Earthquake
Facade
Fling
Foul Play
Giga Impact
Headbutt
Ice Punch
Iron Tail
Liquidation
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Payday
Stomp
Tackle
Zen Headbutt
Belch
Blizzard
Brine
Confusion
Expanding Force

Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Future Sight
Grass Knot
Hydro Pump
Hyper Beam
Ice Beam
Icy Wind
Mud Shot
Muddy Water
Psychic
Psyshock

Round
Scald
Shadow Ball
Snore
Stored Power
Surf
Swift
Tri-Attack
Water Gun
Water Pulse
Weather Ball
Whirlpool
Amnesia
Attract
Belly Drum
Block
Calm Mind
Curse
Disable
Endure
Growl
Hail
Heal Pulse
Imprison
Iron Defense
Light Screen
Nasty Plot
Protect
Psychic Terrain
Psych Up
Rain Dance
Rest
Safeguard
Skill Swap
Slack Off
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Sunny Day
Thunder Wave
Trick
Trick Room
Withdraw
Wonder Room
Yawn
Acid
Brutal Swing
Poison Jab
Shell Side Arm
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Venoshock
Body Press
Seismic Toss
Dream Eater
Focus Punch
Reflect
Rock Smash
Teleport
Toxic
*STAB-moves granted by cross evolving bolded
Body Slam
Earthquake
Foul Play
Liquidation
Poison Jab
Zen Headbutt
Expanding Force
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Grass Knot
Ice Beam
Psychic
Psyshock

Scald
Shadow Ball
Shell Side Arm
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Calm Mind
Curse
Light Screen
Nasty Plot
Slack Off
Teleport
Thunder Wave
Yawn
*STAB-moves granted by cross evolving bolded

Weight gain is identical to normal Slowbro.
Galarian Slowbro gives 25 more base Att than normal Slowbro, but in exchange gives 15 less base Def and 10 less base SpD. It's hard to say where Galarian Slowbro would be more useful than normal Slowbro, but maybe secondary Poison-type has its niche somewhere. It also still suffers from the lack of past-gen support moves.

It should be noted that Slowbro-Galar is actually a Poison-Psychic type, Showdown has just implemented it wrong. Once it is fixed, it will be one of three cross evolutions that will always induce the same type change, the others being Marowak-Alola and Mr. Mime-Galar.
Noted and fixed; I'll update the spreadsheet as well. Unlike a secondary Poison-type, I don't favor a set Poison/Psychic-typing at all, so it's even harder to make an argument for Galarian Slowbro in practically any role unless you really like rolling those 20%s. The only joy I can get out of this Pokemon is imagining that Game Freak just made a typo and released it into an official DLC anyways.

Last edited:
It's hard to say where Galarian Slowbro would be more useful than normal Slowbro, but maybe secondary Poison-type has its niche somewhere.
It should be noted that Slowbro-Galar is actually a Poison-Psychic type, Showdown has just implemented it wrong. Once it is fixed, it will be one of three cross evolutions that will always induce the same type change, the others being Marowak-Alola and Mr. Mime-Galar.

Found some cool things, mostly related to the DLC additions.

:Lickitung:*:Toxtricity:125/115/110/120/111/65; slow Volt Switch for passing Wishes, yet not passive due to STAB Punk Rock Boomburst
:Lickitung:*:Eldegoss:110/65/105/100/136/80; no pivoting move for Wish passing, but self-healed by Regenerator on the switch
:Lickitung:*:Vaporeon:165/65/85/125/141/35; better typing + Scald and slow Flip Turn to pass giant Wishes
:Lickitung:*:Sylveon:130/65/90/125/141/35; Fairy type. Nothing special for Wish Passing now, but still good at Heal Bell. Competes with Spritzee variants, but has more coverage moves

:Corsola-Galar:*:Chansey:210/55/100/85/140/50; self-explanatory and disgusting

:Scyther:*:Toxtricity:105/170/115/115/115/140; Shift Gear sweeper with Technician Dual Wingbeat; all Bug/Flying Scyther variants are better this gen due to HDB
:Scyther:*:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:110/150/120/65/90/130; Bug/Water, wallbreaks with Surging Strikes
:Scyther:*:Gastrodon:105/145/100/90/100/110; neutral to SR, STAB Earthquake & U-turn is cool, powerful on sand teams (existed last gen)

:Linoone-Galar:*:Gallade:108/160/91/50/121/130; sweet power and good STABs
:Linoone-Galar:*:Tsareena:98/150/111/60/111/110; loves that it is immune to Mach Punch via Queenly Majesty. Can boost speed with Rapid Spin
:Linoone-Galar:*:Luxray:98/105/91/85/87/110; STAB Guts Facade; does not fear Will-o-Wisp from Corsola, and hits it with STAB Dark moves

:Rhydon:*:Scolipede:125/175/110/60/35/105
:Piloswine:*:Scolipede:120/145/70/75/50/115;cool Speed Boost users (existed last gen)

:Farfetch*:Lurantis:82/145/110/88/117/65; STAB Contrary Superpower. Good on Trick Room
:Kubfu:*:Lurantis:90/140/115/80/105/82; same deal as above but slightly faster

The decision on how to handle Corsola-Galar is clearly a critical one moving forward. To help determine whether it is too much for the meta to handle, we need to evaluate our options for breaking it. Welcome to Part II of my Corsola-G review compilation, this time focusing on the breakers.

Obviously there is nothing that can handle all variants of Corsola-G, and since it's not feasible to run calcs for many breakers against many different Corsolas, we will have to select a standard. I am using Corsola*Quagsire as my target to break because with Unaware, you can't boost your stats to take it out, so any Corsola-destroying specialist needs to be able to beat this variant using its raw power alone. Quagsola's 100/140/140 defensive stats is also similar or even equal to those of several of the Corsola variants in my first post. Of course, there are even beefier variants out there, but for those you will be able to use many of the same breakers with set-up options.

So how strong do you need to be to break Quagsola? Let's start by establishing some benchmarks for attacking stats.

Below are the attacking stats needed for a guaranteed result (OHKO or 2HKO) using a STAB 80 base power move (Crunch, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball) against a 100/140/140 defense Corsola with Leftovers and full investment in the corresponding defensive stat.
Benchmarks to KO, assuming no Stealth Rocks on Corsola's side
208--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs without a boosting item
201--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
185--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs without a boosting item
178--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
167--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice item

149--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Life Orb
147--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice Item
131--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Life Orb
122--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Choice Item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item
107--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Choice Item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item

Benchmarks to KO, assuming Stealth Rocks
208--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with Choice Item
180--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs without a boosting item
170--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
160--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs without a boosting item
150--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
140--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice item

124--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Life Orb
122--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice item
109--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Life Orb
104--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Choice item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item
90--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Choice item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item
There are several takeaways here.
  • 2HKO'ing Quagsola is certainly possible, and actually isn't even too hard to achieve if you have a Choice Band/Specs or a damage-boosting ability like Strong Jaw or Adaptability.
  • Stealth Rocks make it much easier, as does an Adamant/Modest nature over Timid/Jolly
  • However, your attacker still needs to be very, very strong if you are running a non-damage-boosting item like Leftovers or HDB. This may limit the use of such items to the upper echelon of Corsola destroyers, and strongly encourages the use of Choice items on Quagsola breakers, a habit the opponent may learn to exploit
  • The pressure to run Adamant/Modest will not be appreciated by the faster Quagsola breakers in an environment where creatures like Zacian-Crowned and Boltund crevolutions exist
  • Since these mons are in it with the aim to 2HKO, most physical Dark mons are better off running Knock Off over Crunch
  • When every bit of damage counts as much as it does here, physical attackers absolutely cannot afford to get burned
  • Reliably 2HKO'ing Quagsola with neutral moves or with non-STAB super-effective moves is probably not possible. It will be a mandate to run a dedicated Corsola breaker on every team
Okay, so with these benchmarks as references, let's get on to some lists of mons. It's a large compilation, because my goal was to be as thorough as possible. We need diverse options to deal with a diverse coral. Not all will be good and some may even be terrible, but I will let you (and playtesting) be the judge of that rather than trying to identify them myself.

Even so, I recognize the insanity of trying to list every variant stronger than the lowest benchmark, so for this first list I generally drew the threshold at an attacking stat of 140, though I was more flexible with Dark Pulse users due to lower statlines, and I occasionally included others I thought were interesting.

Please note that I separated two special groups of mons into later lists: 1) those with particularly useful abilities, and 2) physical attackers that are immune to burn.
PHYSICAL DARK (Crunch or Knock Off)
:Sneasel:*:Gyarados:130/210/79/80/155/116; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Sneasel:*:Hitmonlee:70/180/73/35/150/167
:Sneasel:*:Hitmonchan:70/165/99/35/150/156
:Sneasel:*:Hitmontop:70/155/115/35/150/150; Technician/Intimidate
:Sneasel:*:Toxtricity:90/155/90/95/110/150; Technician Bite
:Sneasel:*:Barraskewda:75/155/75/55/85/185
:Sneasel:*:Lurantis:85/145/110/65/130/125; Contrary; Synthesis
:Sneasel:*:Vespiquen:95/145/115/85/135/85; Roost
:Sneasel:*:Avalugg:95/143/154/47/86/115; Recover
:Carvanha:*:Gyarados:120/205/44/110/100/66; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Carvanha:*:Hitmonlee:60/175/38/65/95/117
:Carvanha:*:Hitmonchan:60/160/64/65/95/106
:Carvanha:*:Hitmontop:60/150/80/65/95/100; Technician Bite (also Tech Flip Turn, Aqua Jet)
:Carvanha:*:Toxtricity:80/150/55/125/55/100; Technician Bite (also Tech Flip Turn, Aqua Jet)
:Carvanha:*:Lurantis:75/140/75/95/75/75
:Pawniard:*:Gyarados:120/200/94/85/120/61; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Pawniard:*:Hitmonlee:60/170/88/40/115/112
:Pawniard:*:Hitmonchan:60/155/114/40/115/101
:Pawniard:*:Hitmontop:60/145/130/40/115/95; Technician/Intimidate
:Pawniard:*:Toxtricity:80/145/105/100/75/95; Technician
:Pawniard:*:Barraskewda:65/145/90/60/60/130
:Scraggy:*:Gyarados:125/190/94/80/150/49; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Scraggy:*:Hitmonlee:65/160/88/35/145/100
:Scraggy:*:Hitmonchan:65/145/114/35/145/89
:Linoone-Galar:*:Gallade:108/160/91/50/121/130; Dark/Fighting
:Linoone-Galar:*:Tsareena:98/150/115/60/111/110
:Zweilous:*:Gallade:102/175/100/65/130/88; Dark/Fighting
:Zweilous:*:Tsareena:92/165/120/75/120/68
:Zweilous:*:Grimmsnarl:102/145/90/85/90/48; Prankster
:Rhydon:*:Tyranitar:135/180/160/75/75/50; Ground/Dark
:Fraxure:*:Tyranitar:96/167/110/70/80/77; Dragon/Dark
:Gurdurr:*:Tyranitar:115/155/125/70/80/50; Fighting/Dark
:Piloswine:*:Tyranitar:130/150/120/90/90/60; Ice/Dark
:Krokorok:*:Tsareena:80/162/95/55/95/84
:Morgrem:*:Gallade:95/150/75/75/115/100; Dark/Fighting
:Morgrem:*:Tsareena:85/140/95/85/105/80

SPECIAL DARK (Dark Pulse)
:Zorua:*:Milotic:115/110/99/170/110/66; Recover
:Zorua:*:Frosmoth:80/105/65/160/100/110; Ice Scales
:Zorua:*:Lucario:70/105/70/160/70/95; Dark/Steel
:Zorua:*:Toxtricity:75/125/75/140/75/100; Technician Snarl
:Carvanha:*:Milotic:120/135/79/155/90/66; Recover
:Carvanha:*:Frosmoth:85/130/45/145/80/110; Ice Scales
:Carvanha:*:Toxtricity:80/150/55/125/55/100
:Vullaby:*:Milotic:145/100/134/135/135/61; Recover
:Vullaby:*:Frosmoth:110/95/100/125/125/105; Ice Scales
:Vullaby:*:Lucario:100/95/105/125/95/90; Dark/Steel
:Deino:*:Milotic:127/110/109/135/120/39; Recover
:Deino:*:Frosmoth:92/105/75/125/110/83; Ice Scales
:Zweilous:*:Gardevoir:102/115/100/125/130/88
:Zweilous:*:Butterfree:82/110/65/130/125/98; Dark/Flying; Tinted Lens/Compound Eyes
:Pawniard:*:Milotic:120/130/129/130/110/61; Recover
:Scraggy:*:Milotic:125/120/129/125/140/49; Recover

SPECIAL GHOST (Shadow Ball)
:Haunter:*:Butterfree:55/75/40/180/110/135; Ghost/Flying; Tinted Lens/Compound Eyes
:Haunter:*:Gardevoir:75/80/75/175/115/125
:Haunter:*:Hydreigon:65/70/65/175/75/135; Levitate
:Haunter:*:Hatterene:45/100/75/165/85/75; Ghost/Fairy; Magic Bounce
:Haunter:*:Togekiss:75/60/55/155/65/135; Serene Grace
:Haunter:*:Clefable:70/75/70/150/80/120; Magic Guard/Unaware
:Haunter:*:Orbeetle:55/65/75/145/85/155
:Haunter:*:Dragapult::Flygon::Raichu::Raichu-Alola::Wigglytuff::Chandelure::Ludicolo::Shiftry::Vanilluxe:
:Gastly:*:Milotic:105/80/89/190/105/81; Recover
:Gastly:*:Frosmoth:70/75/55/180/95/125; Ice Scales
:Gastly:*:Lucario:60/75/60/180/65/110; Ghost/Steel
:Gastly:*:Toxtricity:65/95/65/160/70/115
:Gastly:*:Noivern:75/75/75/152/75/148; Infiltrator
:Gastly:*:Boltund:40/80/40/150/45/175
:Sinistea:*:Milotic:115/90/104/164/124/51; Recover
:Sinistea:*:Frosmoth:80/85/70/154/114/95; Ice Scales
:Sinistea:*:Lucario:70/85/75/154/84/84/80; Ghost/Steel
:Sandygast:*:Milotic:130/100/139/160/115/16; Recover
:Sandygast:*:Frosmoth:95/95/105/150/105/60; Ice Scales
:Sandygast:*:Lucario:85/95/110/150/75/45; Ghost/Steel
:Drifloon:*:Milotic:165/95/93/150/114/71; Recover
:Drifloon:*:Frosmoth:130/90/59/140/104/115; Ice Scales; Strength Sap
:Drifloon:*:Lucario:120/90/64/140/74/100; Ghost/Steel
:Frillish:*:Milotic:130/85/109/155/155/41; Recover
:Frillish:*:Frosmoth:95/80/75/145/145/85; Ice Scales; Recover
:Yamask:*:Milotic:113/75/144/145/135/31; Recover
:Porygon2:*:Decidueye:85/112/90/135/125/78; Normal/Ghost; Recover

PHYSICAL GHOST (Poltergeist or Shadow Claw)
:Doublade:*:Gallade:89/200/180/45/109/65
:Doublade:*:Tsareena:79/190/200/55/99/45
:Doublade:*:Grimmsnarl:89/170/170/65/69/25; Prankster Substitute
:Dusclops:*:Gallade:70/160/160/60/190/55; Ghost/Fighting
:Dusclops*:*:Tsareena:60/150/180/70/180/35
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Gyarados:134/181/94/89/135/32; Ghost/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Hitmonlee:74/151/88/24/130/93
:Honedge:*:Hitmonlee:60/165/118/35/112/80
:Honedge:*:Hitmonchan:60/150/144/35/112/69
:Honedge:*:Hitmontop:60/140/160/35/112/63; Technician Shadow Sneak
:Honedge:*:Barraskewda:65/140/120/55/57/98
:Sandygast:*:Gyarados:130/170/104/115/125/16; Ghost/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Sandygast:*:Hitmonlee:70/140/98/70/120/67
:Golett:*:Hitmonlee:74/159/68/35/125/87
:Golett:*:Hitmonchan:74/144/94/35/125/76
:Golett:*:Hitmontop:74/134/110/35/125/70; Technician Shadow Punch
:Yamask-Galar:*:Hitmonlee:53/140/103/30/140/82
:Munchlax:*:Froslass:155/115/60/70/105/65; Normal/Ghost

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Most of the abilities listed here provide a 1.5 x damage boost to selected attacks, so you can reference their power against the benchmarks I highlighted in blue. The immediate power boost is a huge boon even if the raw stats are lower, as they can be used alongside damage-boosting items or may be even be freed up to run something different. The other special ability listed here is Mold Breaker, as it allows you to freely set-up sweep for the bulkier Corsola variants without worrying about Quagsola.
Strong Jaw
:Sneasel:*:Boltund:65/140/65/85/85/210
:Carvanha:*:Boltund:55/135/30/115/30/160
:Pawniard:*:Boltund:55/130/80/90/50/155
:Scraggy:*:Boltund:60/120/80/85/80/143
:Stunky:*:Boltund:73/108/57/91/51/169

Hustle
:Sneasel:*:Flapple:85/165/55/90/95/165; Hone Claws
:Carvanha:*:Flapple:75/160/20/120/40/115
:Pawniard:*:Flapple:75/155/70/95/60/110; Hone Claws
:Scraggy:*:Flapple:80/145/70/90/90/98;
:Stunky:*:Flapple:93/133/47/96/61/124; Hone Claws
---
:Honedge:*:Flapple:75/150/100/90/57/78
:Golett:*:Flapple:89/144/50/90/70/85

Gorilla Tactics
:Sneasel:*:Darmanitan-Galar:90/145/65/50/85/160
:Carvanha:*:Darmanitan-Galar:80/140/30/80/30/110
:Pawniard:*:Darmanitan-Galar:80/135/80/55/50/105
:Scraggy:*:Darmanitan-Galar:85/125/80/50/80/93
:Stunky::Darmanitan-Galar:98/113/57/56/51/119
---
:Honedge::Darmanitan-Galar:80/130/110/50/47/73
:Golett::Darmanitan-Galar:94/124/60/50/60/80
:Phantump::Darmanitan-Galar:78/120/58/65/70/83

Adaptability
:Scyther:*:Crawdaunt:90/150/100/95/100/125; Bug/Dark
:Krabby:*:Crawdaunt:50/145/110/65/45/70; Water/Dark
:Mudbray:*:Crawdaunt:90/140/90/85/75/65; Ground/Dark
:Sneasel:*:Crawdaunt:75/135/75/75/95/135; Dark
:Farfetch*:Crawdaunt:72/135/75/98/82/75; Fighting/Dark
:Kubfu:*:Crawdaunt:80/130/80/93/70/92; Fighting/Dark
:Ponyta-Galar:*:Crawdaunt:70/125/75/105/85/110; Psychic/Dark
:Pawniard:*:Crawdaunt:65/125/90/80/60/80; Dark
:Rhyhorn:*:Crawdaunt:100/125/115/70/50/45; Ground/Dark
:Munchlax:*:Crawdaunt:155/125/60/80/105/25; Normal/Dark
---
:Tangela*:*:Crawdaunt:85/95/135/140/60/80; Grass/Dark
:Porygon:*:Crawdaunt:85/100/90/125/95/60; Normal/Dark

Wicked Blow
(an attack rather than an ability, but it simulates Strong Jaw/Adaptability Crunch by always critting)
:Scyther:*:Urshifu:110/150/120/65/90/130; Bug/Dark
:Krabby:*:Crawdaunt:70/145/130/35/35/75; Water/Dark
:Mudbray:*:Crawdaunt:110/140/80/55/65/70; Ground/Dark
:Sneasel:*:Crawdaunt:95/135/95/45/85/140; Dark
:FarfetchCrawdaunt:72/135/75/98/82/75; Fighting/Dark
:Kubfu:*:Crawdaunt:100/130/100/63/60/97; Fighting/Dark
:Ponyta-Galar:*:Crawdaunt:90/125/95/75/75/115; Psychic/Dark
:Pawniard:*:Crawdaunt:85/125/110/50/50/85; Dark
:Rhyhorn:*:Crawdaunt:120/125/135/40/40/50; Ground/Dark
:Munchlax:*:Crawdaunt:175/125/80/50/95/30; Normal/Dark

Mold Breaker
:Sneasel:*:Excadrill:105/145/75/55/95/135; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Pawniard:*:Excadrill:95/135/90/60/60/80; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Scraggy:*:Excadrill:100/125/90/55/90/68; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Deino:*:Excadrill:102/115/70/65/70/58; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Vullaby:*:Excadrill:120/105/90/65/85/80; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance, Roost
---
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Excadrill:109/116/90/64/75/61; Ghost/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance, Synthesis
:Golett:*:Excadrill:109/124/70/55/70/55; Ghost/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance

BURN-PROOF
These physical attackers are in a special category for not being affected by (or not caring about) Corsola's Will-o-wisp. While they can't reach the same level of power as many other cross-evos, this burn immunity allows them to fight against Corsola much less cautiously. A few have one of the special abilities mentioned above, but I felt the burn immunity was important enough to include them here instead.
:Sneasel:*:Centiskorch:105/145/75/75/115/135; Flash Fire
:Sneasel:*:Araquanid:85/125/95/45/135/130; Water Bubble
:Sneasel:*:Hatterene:55/145/85/85/105/95; Dark/Fairy; Magic Bounce
:Pawniard:*:Centiskorch:95/135/90/80/80/80; Flash Fire
:Pawniard:*:Araquanid:75/115/110/50/100/75; Water Bubble
:Scraggy:*:Centiskorch:100/125/90/75/110/68; Flash Fire
:Raboot:*:Tyranitar:95/136/100/85/90/104; Fire/Dark
:Raboot:*:Incineroar:95/116/100/55/100/64; Fire/Dark; Intimidate
:Torracat:*:Tyranitar:95/135/90/110/80/100; Fire/Dark
:Torracat:*:Incineroar:95/115/90/80/90/60; Fire/Dark; Intimidate
:Ponyta:*:Crawdaunt:70/125/75/105/85/110; Fire/Dark; Adaptability
:Ponyta:*:Urshifu:90/125/95/75/75/75/115; Fire/Dark; Wicked Blow
:Ponyta:*:Drapion:80/125/75/95/85/120; Fire/Dark
:Ponyta:*:Pangoro:78/127/71/88/88/105; Fire/Dark; Mold Breaker
:Darumaka:*:Crawdaunt:90/130/65/55/65/70; Fire/Dark; Adaptability
:Darumaka*:*:Urshifu:110/130/85/25/55/75; Fire/Dark; Wicked Blow
:Stunky:*:Flareon:73/138/57/91/86/84; Fire/Dark
:Sneasel:*:Carkol:105/115/95/55/95/135; Dark/Fire
:Linoone-Galar:*:Luxray:98/105/91/85/87/110; Guts
---
:Honedge:*:Centiskorch:95/130/120/75/77/48; Flash Fire
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Centiskorch:109/116/90/84/95/61; Flash Fire
:Golett:*:Centiskorch:109/124/70/75/90/55; Flash Fire
:Phantump:*:Centiskorch:93/120/68/90/100/58; Flash Fire

Phew. I was originally going to publish another list with selected damage calculations, but I want to get this out now so people have time to peruse it before this hopefully (please oh please) becomes OMotM.

So what does all this mean concerning whether Corsola-G is broken? The list of pokemon that can theoretically break Corsola is certainly a long one. However, there are some caveats:
  • The actual list will be much shorter since many of the above pokemon, though powerful, will not be able to survive in this high-powered metagame, either through frailty, low speed, competition with others, or a combination of these
  • Even with this extensive list, it is hard to find a perfect counter. The vast majority of physical attackers are extremely threatened by burn. Special dark types are generally less powerful, while special ghost types are threatened by Corsola's own ghost attacks. The list of pokemon that circumvent these problems (through fire typing, burn immunity, or ghost immunity) is much shorter, and these generally are not nearly as powerful
  • Therefore, use of many of the above Corsola Smashers will require team support to use (such as Heal Bell, Teleport to avoid switching in on WoW, and Wish passing to ghosts). While these support mons can certainly help other teammates as well, it does mean that many teams may require multiple mons at least partially dedicated to beating Corsola
  • It's hard to say how well these pokemon will do against the innumerable other Corsola-Galar variants. Particularly troublesome variants are the uber defensive corals, the part-fairy versions that neuter dark-type attackers, the Calm Mind boosting Corsolas, and the type-changing eeveelutions that won't be weak to any of the above. All of these will require different strategies to destroy. We will certainly identify effective mons for dealing with each group, but if my Quagsola standard is already pushing a requirement of two slots per team, I seriously worry that this unpredictability may force people to dedicate half their team to beating Corsola.
  • With all that said, many of the above pokemon are absolute beasts that will be effective on many other members of the metagame. Perhaps we won't mind a requirement of running one of these on every team. It's guaranteed that C-G will be centralizing, but that ain't necessarily the same as broken.
I think my personal takeaway is that we give the coral a chance and see how it fares. I hope this compilation will be a useful resource for exploring measures and counter-measures more quickly, so that we can readily reach a conclusion in less than a week after the meta becomes playable. Please feel free to message me if you want me to update it with mons I might have missed.

Thanks for reading my novel.

Last edited:
The decision on how to handle Corsola-Galar is clearly a critical one moving forward. To help determine whether it is too much for the meta to handle, we need to evaluate our options for breaking it. Welcome to Part II of my Corsola-G review compilation, this time focusing on the breakers.

Obviously there is nothing that can handle all variants of Corsola-G, and since it's not feasible to run calcs for many breakers against many different Corsolas, we will have to select a standard. I am using Corsola*Quagsire as my target to break because with Unaware, you can't boost your stats to take it out, so any Corsola-destroying specialist needs to be able to beat this variant using its raw power alone. Quagsola's 100/140/140 defensive stats is also similar or even equal to those of several of the Corsola variants in my first post. Of course, there are even beefier variants out there, but for those you will be able to use many of the same breakers with set-up options.

So how strong do you need to be to break Quagsola? Let's start by establishing some benchmarks for attacking stats.

Below are the attacking stats needed for a guaranteed result (OHKO or 2HKO) using a STAB 80 base power move (Crunch, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball) against a 100/140/140 defense Corsola with Leftovers and full investment in the corresponding defensive stat.
Benchmarks to KO, assuming no Stealth Rocks on Corsola's side
208--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs without a boosting item
201--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
185--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs without a boosting item
178--Adamant/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
167--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice item

149--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Life Orb
147--Adamant/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice Item
131--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Life Orb
122--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Choice Item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item
107--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Choice Item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item

Benchmarks to KO, assuming Stealth Rocks
208--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with Choice Item
180--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs without a boosting item
170--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
160--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs without a boosting item
150--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Life Orb
140--Timid/Jolly OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice item

124--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Life Orb
122--Adamant/Modest OHKOs with 1.5 damage boost and Choice item
109--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Life Orb
104--Timid/Jolly 2HKOs with Choice item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item
90--Adamant/Modest 2HKOs with Choice item, or with 1.5 damage boost and no item
There are several takeaways here.
  • 2HKO'ing Quagsola is certainly possible, and actually isn't even too hard to achieve if you have a Choice Band/Specs or a damage-boosting ability like Strong Jaw or Adaptability.
  • Stealth Rocks make it much easier, as does an Adamant/Modest nature over Timid/Jolly
  • However, your attacker still needs to be very, very strong if you are running a non-damage-boosting item like Leftovers or HDB. This may limit the use of such items to the upper echelon of Corsola destroyers, and strongly encourages the use of Choice items on Quagsola breakers, a habit the opponent may learn to exploit
  • The pressure to run Adamant/Modest will not be appreciated by the faster Quagsola breakers in an environment where creatures like Zacian-Crowned and Boltund crevolutions exist
  • Since these mons are in it with the aim to 2HKO, most physical Dark mons are better off running Knock Off over Crunch
  • When every bit of damage counts as much as it does here, physical attackers absolutely cannot afford to get burned
  • Reliably 2HKO'ing Quagsola with neutral moves or with non-STAB super-effective moves is probably not possible. It will be a mandate to run a dedicated Corsola breaker on every team
Okay, so with these benchmarks as references, let's get on to some lists of mons. It's a large compilation, because my goal was to be as thorough as possible. We need diverse options to deal with a diverse coral. Not all will be good and some may even be terrible, but I will let you (and playtesting) be the judge of that rather than trying to identify them myself.

Even so, I recognize the insanity of trying to list every variant stronger than the lowest benchmark, so for this first list I generally drew the threshold at an attacking stat of 140, though I was more flexible with Dark Pulse users due to lower statlines, and I occasionally included others I thought were interesting.

Please note that I separated two special groups of mons into later lists: 1) those with particularly useful abilities, and 2) physical attackers that are immune to burn.
PHYSICAL DARK (Crunch or Knock Off)
:Sneasel:*:Gyarados:130/210/79/80/155/116; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Sneasel:*:Hitmonlee:70/180/73/35/150/167
:Sneasel:*:Hitmonchan:70/165/99/35/150/156
:Sneasel:*:Hitmontop:70/155/115/35/150/150; Technician/Intimidate
:Sneasel:*:Toxtricity:90/155/90/95/110/150; Technician Bite
:Sneasel:*:Barraskewda:75/155/75/55/85/185
:Sneasel:*:Lurantis:85/145/110/65/130/125; Contrary; Synthesis
:Sneasel:*:Vespiquen:95/145/115/85/135/85; Roost
:Sneasel:*:Avalugg:95/143/154/47/86/115; Recover
:Carvanha:*:Gyarados:120/205/44/110/100/66; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Carvanha:*:Hitmonlee:60/175/38/65/95/117
:Carvanha:*:Hitmonchan:60/160/64/65/95/106
:Carvanha:*:Hitmontop:60/150/80/65/95/100; Technician Bite (also Tech Flip Turn, Aqua Jet)
:Carvanha:*:Toxtricity:80/150/55/125/55/100; Technician Bite (also Tech Flip Turn, Aqua Jet)
:Carvanha:*:Lurantis:75/140/75/95/75/75
:Pawniard:*:Gyarados:120/200/94/85/120/61; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Pawniard:*:Hitmonlee:60/170/88/40/115/112
:Pawniard:*:Hitmonchan:60/155/114/40/115/101
:Pawniard:*:Hitmontop:60/145/130/40/115/95; Technician/Intimidate
:Pawniard:*:Toxtricity:80/145/105/100/75/95; Technician
:Pawniard:*:Barraskewda:65/145/90/60/60/130
:Scraggy:*:Gyarados:125/190/94/80/150/49; Dark/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Scraggy:*:Hitmonlee:65/160/88/35/145/100
:Scraggy:*:Hitmonchan:65/145/114/35/145/89
:Linoone-Galar:*:Gallade:108/160/91/50/121/130; Dark/Fighting
:Linoone-Galar:*:Tsareena:98/150/115/60/111/110
:Zweilous:*:Gallade:102/175/100/65/130/88; Dark/Fighting
:Zweilous:*:Tsareena:92/165/120/75/120/68
:Zweilous:*:Grimmsnarl:102/145/90/85/90/48; Prankster
:Rhydon:*:Tyranitar:135/180/160/75/75/50; Ground/Dark
:Fraxure:*:Tyranitar:96/167/110/70/80/77; Dragon/Dark
:Gurdurr:*:Tyranitar:115/155/125/70/80/50; Fighting/Dark
:Piloswine:*:Tyranitar:130/150/120/90/90/60; Ice/Dark
:Krokorok:*:Tsareena:80/162/95/55/95/84
:Morgrem:*:Gallade:95/150/75/75/115/100; Dark/Fighting
:Morgrem:*:Tsareena:85/140/95/85/105/80

SPECIAL DARK (Dark Pulse)
:Zorua:*:Milotic:115/110/99/170/110/66; Recover
:Zorua:*:Frosmoth:80/105/65/160/100/110; Ice Scales
:Zorua:*:Lucario:70/105/70/160/70/95; Dark/Steel
:Zorua:*:Toxtricity:75/125/75/140/75/100; Technician Snarl
:Carvanha:*:Milotic:120/135/79/155/90/66; Recover
:Carvanha:*:Frosmoth:85/130/45/145/80/110; Ice Scales
:Carvanha:*:Toxtricity:80/150/55/125/55/100
:Vullaby:*:Milotic:145/100/134/135/135/61; Recover
:Vullaby:*:Frosmoth:110/95/100/125/125/105; Ice Scales
:Vullaby:*:Lucario:100/95/105/125/95/90; Dark/Steel
:Deino:*:Milotic:127/110/109/135/120/39; Recover
:Deino:*:Frosmoth:92/105/75/125/110/83; Ice Scales
:Zweilous:*:Gardevoir:102/115/100/125/130/88
:Zweilous:*:Butterfree:82/110/65/130/125/98; Dark/Flying; Tinted Lens/Compound Eyes
:Pawniard:*:Milotic:120/130/129/130/110/61; Recover
:Scraggy:*:Milotic:125/120/129/125/140/49; Recover

SPECIAL GHOST (Shadow Ball)
:Haunter:*:Butterfree:55/75/40/180/110/135; Ghost/Flying; Tinted Lens/Compound Eyes
:Haunter:*:Gardevoir:75/80/75/175/115/125
:Haunter:*:Hydreigon:65/70/65/175/75/135; Levitate
:Haunter:*:Hatterene:45/100/75/165/85/75; Ghost/Fairy; Magic Bounce
:Haunter:*:Togekiss:75/60/55/155/65/135; Serene Grace
:Haunter:*:Clefable:70/75/70/150/80/120; Magic Guard/Unaware
:Haunter:*:Orbeetle:55/65/75/145/85/155
:Haunter:*:Dragapult::Flygon::Raichu::Raichu-Alola::Wigglytuff::Chandelure::Ludicolo::Shiftry::Vanilluxe:
:Gastly:*:Milotic:105/80/89/190/105/81; Recover
:Gastly:*:Frosmoth:70/75/55/180/95/125; Ice Scales
:Gastly:*:Lucario:60/75/60/180/65/110; Ghost/Steel
:Gastly:*:Toxtricity:65/95/65/160/70/115
:Gastly:*:Noivern:75/75/75/152/75/148; Infiltrator
:Gastly:*:Boltund:40/80/40/150/45/175
:Sinistea:*:Milotic:115/90/104/164/124/51; Recover
:Sinistea:*:Frosmoth:80/85/70/154/114/95; Ice Scales
:Sinistea:*:Lucario:70/85/75/154/84/84/80; Ghost/Steel
:Sandygast:*:Milotic:130/100/139/160/115/16; Recover
:Sandygast:*:Frosmoth:95/95/105/150/105/60; Ice Scales
:Sandygast:*:Lucario:85/95/110/150/75/45; Ghost/Steel
:Drifloon:*:Milotic:165/95/93/150/114/71; Recover
:Drifloon:*:Frosmoth:130/90/59/140/104/115; Ice Scales; Strength Sap
:Drifloon:*:Lucario:120/90/64/140/74/100; Ghost/Steel
:Frillish:*:Milotic:130/85/109/155/155/41; Recover
:Frillish:*:Frosmoth:95/80/75/145/145/85; Ice Scales; Recover
:Yamask:*:Milotic:113/75/144/145/135/31; Recover
:Porygon2:*:Decidueye:85/112/90/135/125/78; Normal/Ghost; Recover

PHYSICAL GHOST (Poltergeist or Shadow Claw)
:Doublade:*:Gallade:89/200/180/45/109/65
:Doublade:*:Tsareena:79/190/200/55/99/45
:Doublade:*:Grimmsnarl:89/170/170/65/69/25; Prankster Substitute
:Dusclops:*:Gallade:70/160/160/60/190/55; Ghost/Fighting
:Dusclops*:*:Tsareena:60/150/180/70/180/35
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Gyarados:134/181/94/89/135/32; Ghost/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Hitmonlee:74/151/88/24/130/93
:Honedge:*:Hitmonlee:60/165/118/35/112/80
:Honedge:*:Hitmonchan:60/150/144/35/112/69
:Honedge:*:Hitmontop:60/140/160/35/112/63; Technician Shadow Sneak
:Honedge:*:Barraskewda:65/140/120/55/57/98
:Sandygast:*:Gyarados:130/170/104/115/125/16; Ghost/Flying; Intimidate/Moxie
:Sandygast:*:Hitmonlee:70/140/98/70/120/67
:Golett:*:Hitmonlee:74/159/68/35/125/87
:Golett:*:Hitmonchan:74/144/94/35/125/76
:Golett:*:Hitmontop:74/134/110/35/125/70; Technician Shadow Punch
:Yamask-Galar:*:Hitmonlee:53/140/103/30/140/82
:Munchlax:*:Froslass:155/115/60/70/105/65; Normal/Ghost

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Most of the abilities listed here provide a 1.5 x damage boost to selected attacks, so you can reference their power against the benchmarks I highlighted in blue. The immediate power boost is a huge boon even if the raw stats are lower, as they can be used alongside damage-boosting items or may be even be freed up to run something different. The other special ability listed here is Mold Breaker, as it allows you to freely set-up sweep for the bulkier Corsola variants without worrying about Quagsola.
Strong Jaw
:Sneasel:*:Boltund:65/140/65/85/85/210
:Carvanha:*:Boltund:55/135/30/115/30/160
:Pawniard:*:Boltund:55/130/80/90/50/155
:Scraggy:*:Boltund:60/120/80/85/80/143
:Stunky:*:Boltund:73/108/57/91/51/169

Hustle
:Sneasel:*:Flapple:85/165/55/90/95/165; Hone Claws
:Carvanha:*:Flapple:75/160/20/120/40/115
:Pawniard:*:Flapple:75/155/70/95/60/110; Hone Claws
:Scraggy:*:Flapple:80/145/70/90/90/98;
:Stunky:*:Flapple:93/133/47/96/61/124; Hone Claws
---
:Honedge:*:Flapple:75/150/100/90/57/78
:Golett:*:Flapple:89/144/50/90/70/85

Gorilla Tactics
:Sneasel:*:Darmanitan-Galar:90/145/65/50/85/160
:Carvanha:*:Darmanitan-Galar:80/140/30/80/30/110
:Pawniard:*:Darmanitan-Galar:80/135/80/55/50/105
:Scraggy:*:Darmanitan-Galar:85/125/80/50/80/93
:Stunky::Darmanitan-Galar:98/113/57/56/51/119
---
:Honedge::Darmanitan-Galar:80/130/110/50/47/73
:Golett::Darmanitan-Galar:94/124/60/50/60/80
:Phantump::Darmanitan-Galar:78/120/58/65/70/83

Adaptability
:Scyther:*:Crawdaunt:90/150/100/95/100/125; Bug/Dark
:Krabby:*:Crawdaunt:50/145/110/65/45/70; Water/Dark
:Mudbray:*:Crawdaunt:90/140/90/85/75/65; Ground/Dark
:Sneasel:*:Crawdaunt:75/135/75/75/95/135; Dark
:Kubfu:*:Crawdaunt:80/130/80/93/70/92; Fighting/Dark
:Ponyta-Galar:*:Crawdaunt:70/125/75/105/85/110; Psychic/Dark
:Pawniard:*:Crawdaunt:65/125/90/80/60/80; Dark
:Rhyhorn:*:Crawdaunt:100/125/115/70/50/45; Ground/Dark
:Munchlax:*:Crawdaunt:155/125/60/80/105/25; Normal/Dark
---
:Tangela*:*:Crawdaunt:85/95/135/140/60/80; Grass/Dark
:Porygon:*:Crawdaunt:85/100/90/125/95/60; Normal/Dark

Wicked Blow
(an attack rather than an ability, but it simulates Strong Jaw/Adaptability Crunch by always critting)
:Scyther:*:Urshifu:110/150/120/65/90/130; Bug/Dark
:Krabby:*:Crawdaunt:70/145/130/35/35/75; Water/Dark
:Mudbray:*:Crawdaunt:110/140/80/55/65/70; Ground/Dark
:Sneasel:*:Crawdaunt:95/135/95/45/85/140; Dark
:Kubfu:*:Crawdaunt:100/130/100/63/60/97; Fighting/Dark
:Ponyta-Galar:*:Crawdaunt:90/125/95/75/75/115; Psychic/Dark
:Pawniard:*:Crawdaunt:85/125/110/50/50/85; Dark
:Rhyhorn:*:Crawdaunt:120/125/135/40/40/50; Ground/Dark
:Munchlax:*:Crawdaunt:175/125/80/50/95/30; Normal/Dark

Mold Breaker
:Sneasel:*:Excadrill:105/145/75/55/95/135; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Pawniard:*:Excadrill:95/135/90/60/60/80; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Scraggy:*:Excadrill:100/125/90/55/90/68; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Deino:*:Excadrill:102/115/70/65/70/58; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance
:Vullaby:*:Excadrill:120/105/90/65/85/80; Dark/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance, Roost
---
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Excadrill:109/116/90/64/75/61; Ghost/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance, Synthesis
:Golett:*:Excadrill:109/124/70/55/70/55; Ghost/Steel; Mold Breaker; Swords Dance

BURN-PROOF
These physical attackers are in a special category for not being affected by (or not caring about) Corsola's Will-o-wisp. While they can't reach the same level of power as many other cross-evos, this burn immunity allows them to fight against Corsola much less cautiously. A few have one of the special abilities mentioned above, but I felt the burn immunity was important enough to include them here instead.
:Sneasel:*:Centiskorch:105/145/75/75/115/135; Flash Fire
:Sneasel:*:Araquanid:85/125/95/45/135/130; Water Bubble
:Sneasel:*:Hatterene:55/145/85/85/105/95; Dark/Fairy; Magic Bounce
:Pawniard:*:Centiskorch:95/135/90/80/80/80; Flash Fire
:Pawniard:*:Araquanid:75/115/110/50/100/75; Water Bubble
:Scraggy:*:Centiskorch:100/125/90/75/110/68; Flash Fire
:Raboot:*:Tyranitar:95/136/100/85/90/104; Fire/Dark
:Raboot:*:Incineroar:95/116/100/55/100/64; Fire/Dark; Intimidate
:Torracat:*:Tyranitar:95/135/90/110/80/100; Fire/Dark
:Torracat:*:Incineroar:95/115/90/80/90/60; Fire/Dark; Intimidate
:Ponyta:*:Crawdaunt:70/125/75/105/85/110; Fire/Dark; Adaptability
:Ponyta:*:Urshifu:90/125/95/75/75/75/115; Fire/Dark; Wicked Blow
:Ponyta:*:Drapion:80/125/75/95/85/120; Fire/Dark
:Ponyta:*:Pangoro:78/127/71/88/88/105; Fire/Dark; Mold Breaker
:Darumaka:*:Crawdaunt:90/130/65/55/65/70; Fire/Dark; Adaptability
:Darumaka*:*:Urshifu:110/130/85/25/55/75; Fire/Dark; Wicked Blow
:Stunky:*:Flareon:73/138/57/91/86/84; Fire/Dark
:Sneasel:*:Carkol:105/115/95/55/95/135; Dark/Fire
:Linoone-Galar:*:Conkeldurr:98/105/91/85/87/110; Guts
---
:Honedge:*:Centiskorch:95/130/120/75/77/48; Flash Fire
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Centiskorch:109/116/90/84/95/61; Flash Fire
:Golett:*:Centiskorch:109/124/70/75/90/55; Flash Fire
:Phantump:*:Centiskorch:93/120/68/90/100/58; Flash Fire

Phew. I was originally going to publish another list with selected damage calculations, but I want to get this out now so people have time to peruse it before this hopefully (please oh please) becomes OMotM.

So what does all this mean concerning whether Corsola-G is broken? The list of pokemon that can theoretically break Corsola is certainly a long one. However, there are some caveats:
  • The actual list will be much shorter since many of the above pokemon, though powerful, will not be able to survive in this high-powered metagame, either through frailty, low speed, competition with others, or a combination of these
  • Even with this extensive list, it is hard to find a perfect counter. The vast majority of physical attackers are extremely threatened by burn. Dark types can be neutere while special ghost types are threatened by Corsola's own ghost attacks. The list of pokemon that circumvent these problems (through fire typing, burn immunity, or ghost immunity) is much shorter, and these generally are not nearly as powerful
  • Therefore, use of many of the above Corsola Smashers will require team support to use (such as Heal Bell, Teleport to avoid switching in on WoW, and Wish passing to ghosts). While these support mons can certainly help other teammates as well, it does mean that many teams may require multiple mons dedicated to beating Corsola
  • It's hard to say how well these pokemon will do against the innumerable other Corsola-Galar variants. Particularly troublesome variants are the uber defensive corals, the part-fairy versions that neuter dark-type attackers, the Calm Mind boosting Corsolas, and the type-changing eeveelutions that won't be weak to any of the above. All of these will require different strategies to destroy. We will certainly identify effective mons for dealing with each group, but if my Quagsola standard is already pushing a requirement of two slots per team, I seriously worry that this unpredictability may force people to dedicate half their team to beating Corsola.
  • With all that said, many of the above pokemon are absolute beasts that will be effective on many other members of the metagame. Perhaps we won't mind a requirement of running one of these on every team. It's guaranteed that C-G will be centralizing, but that ain't necessarily the same as broken.
I think my personal takeaway is that we give the coral a chance and see how it fares. I hope this compilation will be a useful resource for exploring measures and counter-measures more quickly, so that we can readily reach a conclusion in less than a week after the meta becomes playable. Please feel free to message me if you want me to update it with mons I might have missed.

Thanks for reading my novel.
My quick two cents. Note that I have not played nor theorymonned gen8 XEvo yet (waiting for gen8), but I enjoyed it alot last gen when it was omotm and I wanted to pitch in since gen7 xevo had similar issues with insanely bulky defensive mons (null, gligar). It seems to me that in order to beat Quagsola you need to either:
- ohko it
- 2hko it on the special side
- be burn immune

2hkoing on the physical side won't cut it, as you will get burnt and Corsola will just outstall you and you are now down a mon. So the question is imo, how easy is it to force Corsola out by threatening an OHKO (Including Choice boosted mons)? You could probably revise your list of Corsola slayers to only include things that can Ohko, special mons that 2hko and burn immunes as that better represents the way beating Corsola is gonna play out in game. To answer the question I asked earlier, I think it's gonna be extremely hard to OHKO it reliably so Corsola feels overbearing.

I think that Corsola falls in a space where you could confidently compare it to Type:Null and not Gligar. Whereas in Gligar's case, the consensus was that it was centralizing but not banworthy, judging from the general feeling surrounding Galarian Corsola it's definitely more a Type:Null case where it's extremely versatile and extremely splashable, making it both hard to prepare for and hard to have some kind of counterplay for. I suppose we'll have the best stage to test it when CE wins OMotM, though.

Also yes I've been procrastinating on the spreadsheet but all the currently available stage 2/3 evolutions should be added, along with some other weird errors fixed like Bellossom not having a secondary typing addition and Toxtricity just being missing entirely.

An important factor that I believe is being overlooked here is how vulnerable Corsola-G is to Taunt. Seriously, Taunt alone shuts down majority of the sets that Corsola-G can valuably run (both offensively/defensively), excluding Alcremie/Xatu which are probably the only sets that aren't totally taunt bait. This is one of the reasons why I believe Corsola-G is rather more predictable despite having the intangible of running many sets, since we all know it's going to nearly always run strength sap (even if said donor gives it a more reliable recovery option) or wisp (if not both) coupled with a mono-attacking move (Hex/S-Ball or what have you) and perhaps another support move or setup option (things like Haze, CM, SR etc depends on what your team needs). With this said, I believe it actually resign far too much on passive sets, which btw, as I said plethora of times already, makes it more predictable, at least in my view.

I'm probably not explaining myself too well here, but as I said before, I see it totally different. Corsola-G doesn't falls in the same category as Null due the fact you'll be hard pressed to find a better overall wall than Null:Chansey/Quag just as you'll be hard pressed trying to find a better overall offensive sweeper than Null:Bibarel/Arcanine because Null was just that damn good thanks how evenly its stats were distributed. Corsola-G fits this description only to an extent, offensively, it's very clearly outclassed by the other more quicker, better offensively equipped (stat-wise) ghost types. Corsola-G shines bright when it's anything but offense, Null on the other hand, shined bright regardless of what it ran. That's the major difference I see, Null was banned due to how it was immensely overwhelming BOTH defensively and offensively.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Corsola-G also struggles to touch almost anything running Hatterene. Speaking of which, off-topic real quick ->

Hatterene (Rhydon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room / Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch

Ground/Fairy Typing - stats: 105/180/150/75/95/20

This is easily my favourite set among all the other decent pokemon who can also effectively abuse Hatterene in their own rights. Now I patiently wait to abuse it on Chansey ;)

Last edited:
I'm probably not explaining myself too well here, but as I said before, I see it totally different. Corsola-G doesn't falls in the same category as Null due the fact you'll be hard pressed to find a better overall wall than Null:Chansey/Quag just as you'll be hard pressed trying to find a better overall offensive sweeper than Null:Bibarel/Arcanine because Null was just that damn good thanks how evenly its stats were distributed. Corsola-G fits this description only to an extent, offensively, it's very clearly outclassed by the the other more quicker, better offensively equipped (stat-wise) ghost types. it really shines bright when it's anything but offense, Null on the other hand shined bright regardless of what it ran. That's the major difference I see, Null was banned due to how it was immensely overwhelming BOTH defensively and offensively.
I guess this is a fair point on the whole debate about Corsola, as the nature of its movepool does end up making it overly passive at times. Also worth mentioning that even though it technically has a "better" or wider movepool than Null, Null's movepool is arguably more precise (having U-Turn, Twave, Toxic, Roar, etc). I'd say that it's probably a stretch to say that it's as versatile and oppressive as Null was, but it still has the sheer bulk and a degree of versatility that could potentially warrant a suspect.

Onto a different topic, I think rain might be the best weather playstyles this gen, and borderline broken as well. Well, it's hard to say anything different about past gens, but this gen the gap between other weathers has widened due to the introductions of Barraskewda and Drednaw, both of which tend to be stronger than previously available Swift Swim evolutions. Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is also worth noting due to Surging Strikes having an extremely high effective BP after factoring in crits as well as a giving a secondary Water-type, although it lacks the benefit of Swift Swim.

Barraskewda has access to both Close Combat and now Flip Turn, along with a +60 Atk/+70 Spe boost. You can pretty much slap it on any Pokemon with a decent Atk stat and typing, and unlike Swift Swim in past gens it doesn't suffer as much from a loss of momentum due to a newfound access to a fairly strong pivoting move. Meanwhile, Drednaw grants +51 Atk/+30 Spe as well as a secondary Rock-type. My personal feelings towards weather as a playstyle pretty much boil down to "rain got buffed and everything else went to the shitter because of dexit", so I definitely have a bias for/towards rain. That said, the ridiculous power and speed afforded by these new Pokemon are something that was never available in past gens and allow quite a few Pokemon to both retain the power to 2HKO or OHKO even resisted switchins and completely outspeed even base 120+ Scarf users at the same time. Several of the old threats that were incredibly threatening on rain still remain (i.e Seadra, Frillish-Accelgor) and their checks that bulky offense often used, such as the Primals and Mega Ray, are no longer in the game.

It's not to say that other weathers are necessarily bad or unviable, but rain just completely overshadows other weathers as an offensive playstyle, and is a serious pain for other offensive archetypes in general due to a sudden lack of checks and the increased relative power of Swift Swim users and offensive Water-types this gen.

Vs spdef Corsola-Chansey: 252 SpA Choice Specs Frillish-Accelgor Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola-Chansey in Rain: 306-360 (49 - 57.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Ferroseed-Milotic: 252 SpA Choice Specs Frillish-Accelgor Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferroseed-Milotic in Rain: 182-214 (41.1 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Chansey-Tsareena: 252 SpA Choice Specs Frillish-Accelgor Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chansey-Tsareena in Rain: 364-429 (50.9 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Wailmer-Toxapex: 252 SpA Choice Specs Frillish-Accelgor Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Wailmer-Toxapex in Rain: 220-259 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs HDB Vullaby-Frosmoth: 252 SpA Choice Specs Frillish-Accelgor Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ice Scales Vullaby-Frosmoth in Rain: 165-195 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Switch in on status due to Hydration, get a free Water Spout and chunk a switchin
Vs Corsola-Dubwool: +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Krabby-Drednaw Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Corsola-Dubwool in Rain: 228-269 (56.4 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Tangela-Milotic: +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Krabby-Drednaw Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela-Milotic in Rain: 192-227 (39.6 - 46.9%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Vs spdef Tangela-Milotic: +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Krabby-Drednaw Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangela-Milotic in Rain: 246-290 (50.8 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Vs physdef Ferroseed-Milotic: +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Krabby Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferroseed in Rain: 211-248 (47.7 - 56.1%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Unaware Munchlax-Quagsire: 252+ Atk Life Orb Krabby Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Munchlax-Quagsire in Rain: 333-394 (60.1 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Free damage all around
Vs physdef Tangela-Milotic: 252+ Atk Life Orb Rhyhorn-Barraskewda Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela-Milotic: 200-237 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Munchlax-Quagsire: 252+ Atk Life Orb Rhyhorn-Barraskewda Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Munchlax-Quagsire: 305-360 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Vs def/spd invested Chansey-Tsareena: 252+ Atk Life Orb Rhyhorn-Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Chansey-Tsareena: 416-491 (63.8 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs physdef Chansey-Tsareena: 252+ Atk Life Orb Rhydon-Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chansey-Tsareena: 416-491 (58.2 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Fair chances at 2HKO's even before an SD
Vs physdef Corsola-Chansey: 252 Atk Choice Band Scyther-Urshifu-Rapid Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Chansey in Rain on a critical hit: 342-405 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Vs physdef Munchlax-Quagsire: 252 Atk Choice Band Scyther-Urshifu-Rapid Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Munchlax-Quagsire in Rain on a critical hit: 390-462 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs Corsola-Dubwool: 252 Atk Choice Band Scyther-Urshifu-Rapid Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Corsola-Dubwool in Rain on a critical hit: 135-162 (33.4 - 40%) -- approx. 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Vs Raboot-Gallade (revenge kill threshold): 252 Atk Choice Band Scyther-Urshifu-Rapid Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raboot-Gallade in Rain: 360-426 (108.7 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs Honedge-Hitmontop (revenge kill threshold): 252 Atk Choice Band Scyther-Urshifu-Rapid Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Honedge-Hitmontop in Rain: 109-130 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Vs Sneasel-Hitmontop (revenge kill threshold, most other Sneasel evos are less bulky): 252 Atk Choice Band Scyther-Urshifu-Rapid Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sneasel-Hitmontop in Rain: 145-172 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Fairly versatile in roles: pivoting/weakening switchins with U-turn, revenge kills many common offensive Pokemon with priority, non-resisted Surging Strikes deals hefty damage

As it stands, pretty much the only surefire checks/counters will probably be Vaporeon evolutions or Tangela, but don't hold your breath; if you rely too heavily on either to check or counter rain, you'll probably end up find yourself debating which mons to sack rather than which ones to switch in.

I feel like the calcs should speak for themselves even though I only calc'd four different evolvers with four different evolutions against some common Pokemon, but the long and short of it is that rain specifically should not be taken lightly this generation. I'd go as far as to say that rain offers the most amount of offensive pressure of pretty much any offensive playstyle such that most teams without some level of strong counterplay will struggle heavily at best and get completely wiped out at worst. Due to newly available stat additions and moves as well as a distinct lack of Primal Groudon or Mega Ray, rain has become more versatile and overall more powerful than before. Stall has doesn't have many viable answers and offensive playstyles ranging from bulky to hyper offense as well as other non-rain weathers completely fail to cope with it without some kind of strong priority. Not necessarily banworthy as some degree of counterplay exists, but it's something to look out for as potentially broken.

If I were to condense it down with a teambuilding comparison to show why rain is borderline broken in CE, look no further:

Stall - carefully choose team members, which each of them able to cover a broad category or check a significant portion of the metagame while at the same time providing some kind of valuable support to the overall structure, with abilities and typing playing a key role
Bulky offense/balance - weigh any losses in potential momentum, think about what roles a particular team member can play, and structure your team around essentially covering every base without minmaxing any particular aspect
Hyper offense - lead, wallbreakers, sweepers, revenge, with a heavy focus on a team composition that both creates constant offensive pressure but also doesn't lose any momentum in the case of sacking

Rain - setter, 2 mildy unpredictable rain abusers and now i have 3 free teamslots to do whatever i want wheres my free elo

Last edited:
Here is an updated compilation on physical Quagsola breakers, showcasing all physical attackers (that I could find) that can OHKO max defense Quagsola. Please refer to my previous post for special attackers and burn-immue physical attackers that 2HKO.

There are several notable groups of mons that barely miss out on the OHKO even with rocks up, including Tyranitar and Technician Hitmontop/Toxtricity crevolutions, and variants of Linoone-Galar, Zweilous, most Carvanha, and even the mighty Honedge and Doublade (Shadow Claw sucks).

The list still appears decently long, but remember that every single one of them requires Choice Band (perhaps a few of the Flapple/Darm-G Poltergeist users could get away without it, but I didn't check, and frankly, apart from their raw power, many of those guys look like they suck).

It bears repeating that many of these will still struggle against the even bulkier Corsolas (Intimidate, Fur Coat, Marvel Scale, Chansey, and Avalugg variants being among the biggest concerns). At least you can setup on those guys, but it obviously that couldn't be one of the above if they're busy with a Band.

I am also slightly concerned that Corsola-G may start to make itself immune to the Poltergeist mons by going itemless, or by using a one-time use item like a Figy Berry.

For these reasons, I suspect Special Attackers and burn-proof 2HKO'ers may be the way to go.

The following pokemon can OHKO Quagsola without Stealth Rock
:Sneasel:*:Gyarados:130/210/79/80/155/116---Knock Off
:Pawniard:*:Gyarados:120/200/94/85/120/61---Knock Off
:Scyther:
:Crawdaunt:
90/150/100/95/100/125; Bug/Dark---Knock Off, can run Jolly
:Scyther:
*:Urshifu:110/150/120/65/90/130; Bug/Dark---Wicked Blow
:Krabby:
50/145/110/65/45/70---Knock Off
:Mudbray:
90/140/90/85/75/65---Knock Off
:Sneasel:
75/135/75/75/95/135---Knock Off
:Farfetch*
72/135/75/98/82/75---Knock Off
---
:Pumpkaboo-Super:
:Gyarados:
134/181/94/89/135/32; Poltergeist
:Sandygast:*:Gyarados:130/170/104/115/125/16; Poltergeist
:Golett:
:Flapple:
89/144/50/90/70/85; Poltergeist; can run Jolly
:Phantump:*:Flapple:89/144/50/90/70/85; Poltergeist
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Flapple:89/136/70/99/75/91; Poltergeist
:Yamask-Galar:*:Flapple:68/125/85/85/85/80;Poltergeist
:Sandygast:*:Flapple:85/125/80/125/65/65;Poltergeist
:Sinistea:/:Frillish:/:Duskull:/:Yamask:/:Litwick: * :Flapple:
:Darmanitan-Galar:
94/124/60/50/60/80; Poltergeist; can run Jolly
:Phantump:
78/120/58/65/70/83; Poltergeist; can run Jolly
:Pumpkaboo-Super:*:Darmanitan-Galar:94/116/80/59/65/86; Poltergeist; can run Jolly
:Yamask-Galar:/:Sandygast:/:Sinistea:*:Darmanitan-Galar:

252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel (194 Atk) Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel (150 Atk) Knock Off x 1.5 (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel (132 Atk) Knock Off x 1.5 (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel (147 Atk) Crunch x 1.5/Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Phantump (187 Atk) Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Phantump (166 Atk) Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Phantump (108 Atk) Poltergeist x 1.5 (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Phantump (94 Atk) Poltergeist x 1.5 (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The following pokemon can OHKO Quagsola, but require Stealth Rock
:Scraggy:*:Gyarados:125/190/94/80/150/49---Knock Off; can run Jolly
:Hitmonlee:
70/180/73/35/150/167---Knock Off
:Carvanha:
60/175/38/65/95/117---Knock Off
:Pawniard:
60/170/88/40/115/112---Knock Off
:Hitmonchan:
70/165/99/35/150/156---Knock Off
:Boltund:
65/140/65/85/85/210---Crunch; can run Jolly
55/135/30/115/30/160---Crunch
55/130/80/90/50/155---Crunch
:Kubfu:*
80/130/80/93/70/92--Knock Off; can run Jolly
:Darumaka:
90/130/65/55/65/70; Knock Off; can run Jolly---IMMUNE TO BURN
:Ponyta:*
70/125/75/105/85/110---Knock Off---IMMUNE TO BURN
:Ponyta-Galar:
70/125/75/105/85/110---Knock Off
65/125/90/80/60/80---Knock Off
:Rhyhorn:
100/125/115/70/50/45---Knock Off
:Munchlax:
155/125/60/80/105/25---Knock Off
:Krabby:
*:Urshifu:70/145/130/35/35/75---Wicked Blow; can run Jolly
:Mudbray:
*:Urshifu:110/140/80/55/65/70---Wicked Blow; can run Jolly
*:Urshifu:95/135/95/45/85/140---Wicked Blow
:Farfetch*:Urshifu:72/135/75/98/82/75---Wicked Blow
:Kubfu:*:Urshifu:100/130/100/63/60/97---Wicked Blow
:Darumaka*:
*:Urshifu:110/130/85/25/55/75; Wicked Blow; can run Jolly---IMMUNE TO BURN
:Ponyta:*:Urshifu:90/125/95/75/75/115---Wicked Blow---IMMUNE TO BURN
:Ponyta-Galar:
*:Urshifu:90/125/95/75/75/115---Wicked Blow
*:Urshifu:85/125/110/50/50/85---Wicked Blow
:Rhyhorn:
*Urshifu:120/125/135/40/40/50---Wicked Blow
:Munchlax:
*:Urshifu:175/125/80/50/95/30---Wicked Blow
85/165/55/90/95/165; Knock Off; can run Jolly
75/160/20/120/40/115; Crunch; can run Jolly
75/155/70/95/60/110; Knock Off; can run Jolly
:Scraggy:
80/145/70/90/90/98; Knock Off; can run Jolly
:Stunky:
93/133/47/96/61/124; Knock Off; can run Jolly
90/145/65/50/85/160; Knock Off; can run Jolly
80/140/30/80/30/110; Crunch; can run Jolly
80/135/80/55/50/105; Knock Off; can run Jolly
:Scraggy:
85/125/80/50/80/93; Knock Off
---
:Dusclops:
:Gallade:
70/160/160/60/190/55; Poltergeist
:Dusclops*:
:Tsareena:
60/150/180/70/180/35; Poltergeist
:Sandygast:
70/140/98/70/120/67; Poltergeist
74/159/68/35/125/87; Poltergeist
:Hitmonchan:
74/144/94/35/125/76; Poltergeist
:Frillish::Duskull::Yamask::Litwick: * :Darmanitan-Galar:

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel (184 Atk) Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel (163 Atk) Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel (140 Atk) Crunch x 1.5/Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel (123 Atk) Crunch x 1.5/Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel (126 Atk) Knock Off x 1.5 (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel (111 Atk) Knock Off x 1.5 (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Phantump (158 Atk) Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Phantump (138 Atk) Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Phantump (88 Atk) Poltergeist x 1.5 (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Phantump (76 Atk) Poltergeist x 1.5 (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corsola-Galar: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)