SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I will be wrong on this, but I'm going to say with 90% confidence that Galarian Slowbro is meant to wield a sword, not a gun. A "shell" is the hand guard of a sword, "quick draw" makes perfect sense for drawing a sword from its shell, and the games are Sword and Shield. Also matches "armor" better than a gun, and we all know Slowking is going to have something to do with a "crown," so... I mean, why do you think they picked these two to be their promotional duo?
For that matter, the one glimpse we had of its design suggests inspiration from a noble of some kind with a cravat, and I think drawing from something like swordfighting in a style that's supposed to be elegant and formal (like... I dunno, fencing? help me I don't know enough about swords) would make sense enough to follow through on that - more so than something obviously violent like a gun. We have other Pokémon that draw inspiration from firearms, if usually stylized cannons and such rather than straight-up wielding guns I say in the Generation that gave us Inteleon... but even that's just a joke on finger guns, but for some reason I'm having a hard time picturing Slowbro joining their ranks.
(I'm guessing it's gonna be something silly like... Slowpoke fishes up a Shellder with a Galarica Twig, and then the Shellder evolves around the twig instead of its tail and becomes the shell of a sword.)

Since none of this is at all interesting except Quick Draw, what do you guys think that'll do? Based on Galarian Slowpoke's flavor text, as Whitephoenixace shared, I'm wondering if Slowbro is going to be super slow most of the time as always but gets circumstantial priority on some of its moves (like it has priority on its first turn in battle, or it goes first once "in a pinch" like the Custap Berry) - the former in particular would be an interesting gimmick for speed control and revenging sweepers.
It could also be the opposite - something that triggers only when it does go first, like the Fossil moves - and if it is indeed sword-related, I'm betting that it'd be a (boosted rate? guarantee?) for a critical hit when it strikes first... Or just inverse Analytic.
"Has priority on its first turn and then is super slow" is probably my favorite of these guesses, though.
no. Galarian Slowbro has a Gun. Keep the Pokemon Gun dream alive

Wait, I'm sorry, how do we even know Galarian Slowbro has a gun, let alone Galarian Slowbro's design?

Are you sure there's a leak revealing its appearance?
We are assuming the move "Shell Side Arm" is a signature move for Galarian Slowbro. The first thing people thought of when seeing "side arm" was a gun, though Hematite is right that it could apply to any weapon like a sword, so that's where the idea came from.

Also to note we must remember that this is datamines from home and not from the game itself. The items that are listed here would only be in accordingly and I doubt gf would put in galar slowkings variant or even make it possible to use.

Also I would like to add that regarding slowbro galar. Its leak image didnt show the other side of its body compared to slowking whose head was partially striken out despite being the mon farther away. So this may imply further that slowbro has a shellder on its arm otherwise they probably would have shown more of slowbro.

Also to note we must remember that this is datamines from home and not from the game itself. The items that are listed here would only be in accordingly and I doubt gf would put in galar slowkings variant or even make it possible to use.
That depends really.
I don't know how the datastructure of the game is handled, nor how it handles evolutions, but it is feasible to think that both Galar Slowbro and Slowking will be in gamefiles in order to maintain the evolutionary structure.

I believe right now Galar Slowpoke is in a very weird data situation as it got patched in alone as isolated pokemon, which also results in regular Slowpoke not being acquirable even if hacked in or transferred via Home

The main deal is that if "G-slowking" is in the first DLC even if unobtainable, it's on gamefreaks choice to include its data.
I can see Game Freak adding the item data for G-Slowking's evolution item now, but not updating the evolution data for G-Slowpoke until Crown Tundra releases.

Hmm, if thats the case then we probably wont be able to see who is coming back unril the expansion drops either, right? Or maybe theyd put permissions in but not have data for any unseen pokemon...who knows?

Hmm, if thats the case then we probably wont be able to see who is coming back unril the expansion drops either, right? Or maybe theyd put permissions in but not have data for any unseen pokemon...who knows?
Most likely, only the Switch app has information on which Pokémon can be sent to Sword and Shield. The Android app has no reason to know that, as it can't be used to transfer to a game.

(The other option is that neither version of HOME has any idea at all of which Pokémon can be transferred and which moves are valid, the Switch version being instead informed by either the server or the games themselves about their compatibility. It depends on how it would react to an unupdated game.)

Last edited:
If I recall Slowking is reserved for the second expansion, just Slowbro for this one.
Not necessary. They said that the *evolutionary items* are exclusive to each expansion, nothing was ever said about the game data :P

Nothing forbids GF to do something similar to the "35" launch Pokemon present in game but unobtainable by legal means (until they got officially released)

....thinking of it, we still know nothing of *why* those 35 were picked. I could understand gen 1 starters (considering charmandar line was in and they were going to receive a G-max anyway), everything else though still feels completely random.

(I know there are tecnically """reasons""", like having gen 7 starters or leges cause they are the latest released so kids could play with their latest toys, and Mewtwo because Mew is in, but everything else?)

watch them remove regenerator from the new slowbro/king and no one use them :(
They kept it on Galarian Slowpoke, sounds like a pretty weird choice to magically remove it on its evos, expecially as they did change one of his other abilities.

However, Galarian Slowpoke is Mono-Psychic, so I can see them doing different evolutionary types on top of the "mirrored" stat spreads. Which would be pretty interesting considering the Galarian's movepool is as expansive as the Kanto one, also being one of the very few non-kanto/jotho non-water types that get access to Water attacks.

Not necessary. They said that the *evolutionary items* are exclusive to each expansion, nothing was ever said about the game data :P

Nothing forbids GF to do something similar to the "35" launch Pokemon present in game but unobtainable by legal means (until they got officially released)

....thinking of it, we still know nothing of *why* those 35 were picked. I could understand gen 1 starters (considering charmandar line was in and they were going to receive a G-max anyway), everything else though still feels completely random.

(I know there are tecnically """reasons""", like having gen 7 starters or leges cause they are the latest released so kids could play with their latest toys, and Mewtwo because Mew is in, but everything else?)
I'm going to assume they will put it in the data but won't be able to evolve it. For the rest of those Pokemon, I think it made sense. They had the most popular starters (gen 1) and the most recent ones. With gen 7s only being in one game it would be disappointing to not be able to play them for many more months or more in Sword and Shield. Rest of the legendary and mythical were some from various generations and fairly popular ones at that.

It will be interesting to see how they dole out starters. Maybe we won't get anymore, but I think they're too popular and iconic (even the unpopular ones) to be entirely absent from gen 8. Either they'll split them between the two expansions or maybe they'll some with the second one. That seems to be legendary focused, so I can see them including starters there. First expansion is focused around regular Pokemon that you find in the wild commonly. Second for rarer stuff.

But just speculation on my part, I am probably completely wrong.

I think they were planning on doing special events or raids related to those legendaries but changed their mind and decided to put out the dlc instead

I want to talk about Wicked Blow because there is a menacing possibility no one seems to have brought up.

Consider the following:
  • The new datamine strongly implies Urshifu will have a discrete signature move for each form.
  • Wicked Blow is the likely candidate for Single Strike Style, emphasis on winning in exactly one strike.
  • Previously, this kind of language was used in the Petalburg Gym with reference to critical hit strats.
  • Online flavor text for Urshifu-SSS underscores that it rushes up close and delivers one direct, decisive blow—true to its name.
Therefore, I posit that Wicked Blow will be either an auto-crit like Frost Breath or a cosmic delete button like Fishious Rend.

In the latter case, I look forward to seeing Banded Bear 2HKO standard Mandibuzz on a resisted STAB before it takes an E-ZPass to Ubers.

I want to talk about Wicked Blow because there is a menacing possibility no one seems to have brought up.

Consider the following:
  • The new datamine strongly implies Urshifu will have a discrete signature move for each form.
  • Wicked Blow is the likely candidate for Single Strike Style, emphasis on winning in exactly one strike.
  • Previously, this kind of language was used in the Petalburg Gym with reference to critical hit strats.
  • Online flavor text for Urshifu-SSS underscores that it rushes up close and delivers one direct, decisive blow—true to its name.
Therefore, I posit that Wicked Blow will be either an auto-crit like Frost Breath or a cosmic delete button like Fishious Rend.

In the latter case, I look forward to seeing Banded Bear 2HKO standard Mandibuzz on a resisted STAB before it takes an E-ZPass to Ubers.
It could also just be a move with a high crit ratio, in this scenario.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD

Consider the following:

Or it could be a 50 Acc OHKO move on a mon that's VGC legal!

I doubt that they're going to do anything too insane - if they were thinking about Fishious Rend type moves it's likely they did some last minute rebalancing after seeing what Dracovish can actually do (without its HA even).

info dropping tomorrow at 9am est , so hopefully we get some partial confirmation and maybe some ability and move explanations for urshifu and possibly a reveal of galar slowbro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)