Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Either they set up a special set of Slowpokes to have Quick Draw (&, as an ability, it doesnt announce itself), they set up a special set of slowpokes to have literally 999 speed or they specifically coded the battle such that slowpoke just goes first for Comedy

... or Cinderace was carrying a Lagging Tail, which would be the most unremarkable outcome.
Now, don't ruin it like this, get your logic away from here :(

I kind of assume that some parts of the area still have a "minimum" level and its only once past that you start seeing things raise.

So if there was a trainer with a level 30 Poliwrath and you're still in...I dunno your 20s (or however this scaling works), you're going to be seeing it as a level 30 poliwrath. But once you exceed 30 it'll start raising in level.
Likewise I cant see you sneaking down to
Somewhat related, i re-read the IGN article , and this caught my eye:

Nintendo’s Demetrius Boggs told me that the new Pokémon expansion pass areas’ trainers and wild Pokémon scale with your own Pokémon's levels. Specifically, Boggs confirmed the DLC areas would even scale to match a team of Level 100 Pokemon.
Now, this is definitely interesting (also uuuh... wild level 100 pokemon? that'd be amazing to level up breedlings expecially combined with the exp charm).
I do share the same concern of R_N , however considering the wild area is meant to be accessed around... level 20 iirc? It is possible that we aren't going to see strange disparities.

Aside from that, I am looking forward to see how Gamefreaks handles this and if it's even dynamic (what if I get there with level 30s, then go back to do the main story, and come back with level 60s?). Level scaling is a good mechanic BUT doing it right is pretty complex and you can ruin a game if you do it wrong.

Once inside the dojo, after a quick battle, you're presented with a choice and the introduction of a move tutor that will accept Armorite Ore as payment. Then, Mustard explains that the dojo's apprentices must complete three trials in order to earn the dojo's sacred armor.
Looks like the Tutors are available basically straight away? And you probably can gather Armorite from the story & raids.

One of the challenges involves collecting Max Mushrooms, which are used to create the previously revealed Max Soup which unlocks the ability for a Pokémon to Gigantamax. Though I only saw a single different trial (one I can’t reveal just yet), it reminded me of the minigames you might encounter as part of Pokémon Sun and Moon's Island Challenge, except perhaps less involved.
Similarly to above, both interested and worried by this: it's another of "if done well it's great, but can murder the enjoyment if done wrong" mechanics.
That said I did enjoy SM/USUM trials so there's hope.

Yeah level scaling is one of those things that could, genuinely, be a big game changer for the series:
-dont have to worry about over levelling too hard
-if move sets are still retained properly, overlevelling might give a GREATER challenge, effectively the reversal of the EXP Share decision you go through in gens 6 & 7
-the exp share becomes a way to keep everyone around the same level so you dont have to worry about oops you have a level 40 pokemon carrying literal babies into level 40 battles for the next hour
-the exp charm allows you to pinpoint new recruits' levels making under leveled

but it is also so easy to just mess it up. We'll need to see how it actually works in practice. Is it team average? Highest in the team? Minimums? Maximums for areas? Highest level period? Maybe based on badges? Also the possible issue broader issue of, if there's no temporary maximum based on other factors, a player can't grind past a problem spot because then it puts them in a worse situation.

Aside from that, I am looking forward to see how Gamefreaks handles this and if it's even dynamic (what if I get there with level 30s, then go back to do the main story, and come back with level 60s?). Level scaling is a good mechanic BUT doing it right is pretty complex and you can ruin a game if you do it wrong.
Nintendolife put out a video (now suspiciously private...) in which the speaker (Andrew...?) did say something about precisely this and it sounded to him like the Nintendo reps said the levels would be initially locked to your first visit to the IoA, which is hopefully not correct and a misunderstanding on his part. Obviously we can't verify this now or double-check my recollection because the video is private for some reason, but I do remember thinking "that doesn't sound right, hope this guy misunderstood." Maybe the video got taken down to correct inaccurate information like this?

Nintendolife put out a video (now suspiciously private...) in which the speaker (Andrew...?) did say something about precisely this and it sounded to him like the Nintendo reps said the levels would be initially locked to your first visit to the IoA, which is hopefully not correct and a misunderstanding on his part. Obviously we can't verify this now or double-check my recollection because the video is private for some reason, but I do remember thinking "that doesn't sound right, hope this guy misunderstood." Maybe the video got taken down to correct inaccurate information like this?
More likely they were meant to put up the preview video later and put it up too early in the day. Sometimes there's rolling embargos

Well if I have to go by this thread:

1592243670915.png

More likely they were meant to put up the preview video later and put it up too early in the day. Sometimes there's rolling embargos
Ah, I didn't know about rolling embargos. That's possible. I figured since other news sites had posted videos already they would be clear of their embargo too. Plus, they link to the video from this article on their site that's still up (at least as of posting this!). <shrug shoulders emoji>

Ah, I didn't know about rolling embargos. That's possible. I figured since other news sites had posted videos already they would be clear of their embargo too. Plus, they link to the video from this article on their site that's still up (at least as of posting this!). <shrug shoulders emoji>
Ah I wasn't aware of the full context. My theory on the "rolling" embargo was mostly there hadn't been a lot of other outlets puting up footage and I assumed this was just a general youtube channel ala gamexplain. So my thought was folks like IGN had the go ahead to post their impressions and such, but videos from other folks would be allowed later on.

Possible they just privitized it on accident or only wanted ti viewable on their homepage for clicks.

Actually...something very curious i just noticed. We have gigantimax formes for both versions of Urshifu, yet no gigantimax for the legendary focused expansion has been revealed. Even more curious is the fact that this expansion has us exploring these dens in greater detail. Could the main lure being a chance to find not only legendaries, but gigantimax formes of those legends?
Considering the mascots of Sword and Shield do not have Gigantamax forms I think the Crown Tundra legendary will not. Maybe they will add them in for all three, but I am doubting it.

Considering the mascots of Sword and Shield do not have Gigantamax forms I think the Crown Tundra legendary will not. Maybe they will add them in for all three, but I am doubting it.
I dont mean Calyrex specifically...i just find it odd that Armor gets 7 new gmax pokemon, and not one was announced yet for the Crowned Tundra, which will explain more about the secrets of dynamaxing and by proxy, gigantimaxing. Maybe the kanto bords get gmax formes too, who knows

I dont mean Calyrex specifically...i just find it odd that Armor gets 7 new gmax pokemon, and not one was announced yet for the Crowned Tundra, which will explain more about the secrets of dynamaxing and by proxy, gigantimaxing. Maybe the kanto bords get gmax formes too, who knows
It shouldn't surprise you.

Differently from the past, GF has been very reserved about news for this gen.
Before the datamine, hell until 1 month before SwSh release, we knew near nothing of the games other than the title and the original trailer.

It wouldn't surprise me if they want to keep whatever's going to happen in Tundra as secret as possible until a week or two before the release date.

Tundra's not releasing for another 5-6 months so it's not too surprising they didn't reveal anything new outside of the initial reveal items. In terms of actual, 100% new things (rather than just updates) we got out of Tundra is the existence of the star tournament. G-maxes and anything like that will no doubt be shown later.

Really interested to see how level scaling will work. I think it could be a really neat feature for a future, truly open world Pokemon game depending on how its handled here. I'm crossing my fingers that its more complex than just averaging out the levels of the player's Pokemon or matching the highest level Pokemon in the player's party.

Pretty disappointed that the DLC won't be containing any new routes. Despite being linear and short, base SwSh's route design was pretty solid, integrating Pokemon into the level design in a pretty interesting way. The wild area was cool when I hadn't seen everything, but got boring by endgame. At the very least, the Isle of Armor seems to have a more interesting map environment and looks better too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually...something very curious i just noticed. We have gigantimax formes for both versions of Urshifu, yet no gigantimax for the legendary focused expansion has been revealed. Even more curious is the fact that this expansion has us exploring these dens in greater detail. Could the main lure being a chance to find not only legendaries, but gigantimax formes of those legends?
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gigantamax Lugia, it's the master of the Bird Trio and if it's not getting a Galarian Forme itself it could get a Gigantamax still. If so I wonder what other Legendaries could get a Gigantamax. They could certainly make Ultra Necrozma into a Gigantamax of Necrozma (course that falls right back into them not making Megas into Gigantamax as otherwise would suggest the same thing for Rayquaza). Following a similar idea, maybe give Kyurem a Gigantamax where its a giant ice dragon said to resemble the shape or what it originally looked like. Going to stop there as anything else would be wild guessing, but there is certainly possibilities.

can you make an evil exp charm that lowers exp
I think the most "evil" exp charm they'll ever make is one which takes all a singular Pokemon's experience and gives it to other Pokemon in the party. :P

Ign confirmed that the dlc were in production before sword and shield released, ao gamefreak was definitely playing pr chess all along.
Make of that what you will.
Nothing necessarily wrong with that. Has they done PR right it would have been a nice surprise... unfortunately they let Masuda handle the PR and did very little damage control after what he said obviously didn't go over well.

I dont think a big decision like this was made out of a spur of the moment reaction., especially with swsh still being actively worked on at the time. Not one, but 2 expansions? No, this was planned well in advance.
I imagine the moment they decided to cut the dex was when they likely decided this would be a way to bring the cut 'mons back.

Hey, it's the same guys that insist in making people socialize by trading, when Wonder Trading was introduced two generations ago.
Thinking about it, would have been nice if GF gave us at least a month of free HOME (and Bank) due to players not able to go out and trade with one another...

Honestly nah, if the DLC was in development before SWSH's launch and they didn't use it to try to curb the outrage as soon as they could, then IMO that was an extremely bad call. Of course they didn't have to fucking reveal all the contents of the DLCs, but they could've easily said something like "We do intend to patch in more Pokemon later in such a way that you can transfer them in, stay tuned for more info."
You underestimate GF's way of thinking. They are perfectly fine with lying and misdirecting people in order to keep their "surprises". Remember that in past games where they had to code in the Mythicals they pretended the Mythicals didn't exist until it was the time they wanted to reveal them. Don't bother cleaning out demo builds of their final game stuff even though they know players datamine that stuff (this is moreso for ORAS than SM, though they still messed up cleaning SM's demo). Grookey's sticks don't have anything to do with its evolution... Grookey evolves into a drummer.

They wanted them patching in Pokemon via DLC to be a surprise, if they had to take heat for months for leaving them out they're perfectly fine with it as they believe the ends justify the means.

But, as I said, there was a way they could have done the PR better... but Masuda.

This is strange to me...from everywhere i heard this was one of biggest standout and selling points of the game, casually and competitively. What makes it weak?
Exciting initially but falls flat post game once you realized you explored everything that's worth exploring. No additional post game locations, nothing really changes even with the different weather effects (aside Pokemon and that can come back and bite you); all there is to do in any long term scale are Raids, collecting Berries, and spending Watts to get a nice supply of TRs.

Now these expansions are their chance to show what else they can do with the Wild Area... though these early reports aren't promising.

Now these expansions are their chance to show what else they can do with the Wild Area... though these early reports aren't promising.
Well, while they aren't exactly promising, so far the reports and the clips do show minor improvements.

Considering how much of a performance and graphical mess the Wild Area is, at this moment I'm happily taking minor improvements (yes, even the stupid trees) over nothing, because it'd mean they are at least trying.

Well, while we don't know the exact release, pretty obvious that it won't come out before the Home maintenance, that's sure :P
Pokemon HOME Maintenance? When? I haven't been following this thread too heavily but I'm kinda curious to what this "HOME maintenance" is all about.

Mildly interesting thing I just noticed in the footage from this Spanish YouTube vid is that there are not only new train tracks to a station just above Prof. Magnolia's house/lab on the map, where you catch the Taxi to IoA (as opposed to just taking a train from the station where you encounter slowpoke-G), but there is also a new set of tracks running straight down in the direction of the Slumbering Weld that aren't on the current map either. It seems like the most likely explanation is that these just run to another new station that will take us to the CT, but interesting that they're already visible on this build of the map. Maybe there will be another "preview" of CT there at some point like we got with Klara/Avery and Slowpoke.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.25.54 PM.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)