Metagame Camomons

Is Poison/Electric Rotom not worth using in this format? It's a real good combo with Levitate, with only two Mold Breaker mons to worry about, but there's no mention of it in the viability chart...

Hi council,
Can we please update the bans to have Magearna and Cinderace?
They're just flat out Ubers now.
For the record, since this generation, all (or most) OMs operate on a seperate banlist from OU. We have not deemed Magearna or Cinderace to be broken in Camomons as there is vastly more counterplay to their potential typings. Cinderace is significantly less powerful due to being able to change STABs before battle anyway and one of Magearna's best attributes was its Steel/Fairy typing, which overall doesn't make the sets it can make in Camo much better.

For the record, since this generation, all (or most) OMs operate on a seperate banlist from OU. We have not deemed Magearna or Cinderace to be broken in Camomons as there is vastly more counterplay to their potential typings. Cinderace is significantly less powerful due to being able to change STABs before battle anyway and one of Magearna's best attributes was its Steel/Fairy typing, which overall doesn't make the sets it can make in Camo much better.
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick/Focus Blast

OK, I will concede on Cinderace for now. But this is the exact set that pushed Magearna over the edge in OU. The addition of Trick with Home makes it able to cripple things like Chansey that would normally counter it in the previous meta, while retaining the best typing and moves. Even without Fairy/Steel, Trick+Volt Switch allows you to run literally any combination of moves with specs on and still cripple your counters.
Electric/Ice
Fighting/Steel
Ghost/Fairy
It now also has access to Stored Power+Calm Mind, allowing you to run Shift Gear/Iron Defense+Draining Kiss for the recovery and Steel/Fairy typing.
You're saying the best attribute before Home was it's typing, well now it has two moves that allow it to abuse this typing and many others consistently.
I am glad you have looked into it and deemed it not broken so you can elaborate on the vast counterplay this mon has.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to interrupt this potential back and forth to say hooray for being OMoTM again! Super excited to have the Camo ladder back and I'm here to drop some sets I've been using.
:urshifu:
/

Urshifu @ Black Glasses
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Crunch / Sucker Punch / Filler

Urhsifu hits insanely hard with Wicked Blow and I wanted to take advantage of that while also not being choice locked with a Scarf or Band. Black Glasses still score big damage on the fat walls and Crunch can come in handy as extra Dark STAB with a useful defense drop. Iron Head is nice to pick up flinches on things like Mandibuzz that can't really do much back.
252+ Atk Black Glasses Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit: 138-163 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Black Glasses Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew on a critical hit: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro on a critical hit: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO
:pikachu:
/

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Play Rough
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off / Volt Switch

I like Pikachu, ok? It is cute and it is the face of the franchise so why not embrace it? FakeSpeed is really nice for revenge killing frail offensive guys like Haxorus and Lycanroc-Dusk. I chose Play Rough as secondary STAB over the "more common" Dark-type Pikachu mainly to give my team a Dragon-type immunity in a pinch. I wish Extreme Speed Pikachu could run Lightning Rod cause then it could give another immunity (looking at you, Dragon/Electric Dragapult) but at least Static can pick up stray paras. This guy is super frail though so it should be used with caution, but I think its breaking potential and niche as an Extreme Speed user is somewhat undervalued. Pair this with something that can take on Steels and Poisons, like Ground- and/or Fighting-type guys.

:mew:
/
or
/

Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz / Wild Charge
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off / Wild Charge / Filler

It is really hard not to run Brave Bird on physical Mew, but I've been trying it and have enjoyed the results. I've tested the Ground/Fire variant more so far and +Atk Life Orb EQ really puts dents in some walls. After a Dragon Dance this guy is really threatening to common defensive cores but you have to watch out for Scalds that can just extinguish you. Recoil moves combined with Life Orb mean Mew gets worn down easier so I pair mine with Wish Clefable to heal it back up.

[:Sirfetch’d: / ][:Rillaboom: / ][:Sigilyph: / ][:Volcarona: / ][:Coalossal: / ][:Mew: / ]
Here's a fun team (click on the mons to see the paste) I've been playing with that contains a couple of heat sets. As you can tell from the typings, the idea is to spam terrain boosted Grass-type attacks. Since two thirds of the team are Grass-type, you can see that certain matchups like Ice Beam Porygon-Z and Bird Spam can be scary for this team, but that is the cost of running certain themes. I chose a bulky Rillaboom set to be a more reliable terrain setter and EV'd it to outspeed defensive Mew so I can Taunt it. Sigilyph is probably my favorite set here as Specs Tinted Lens Energy Ball under terrain hits resists really hard and it can annoy things like Clefable and Blissey by tricking them Specs. Sirfetch'd is cool to me as I didn't realize it got Grassy Glide and can crit its way through walls if it gets a chance to setup. Volcarona is probably my least favorite set on the team as it seems hard to find opportunities to setup and usually loses momentum against things like Clefable and Toxapex. For Mew I went full SpD with Nasty Plot added in to be less passive (I've ran Fairy/Flying as well but hated losing to Ice Beam). Again, this is fun to play with but doesn't always matchup the best with some common things, but I will say the support from Grassy Terrain is nice to half EQ power and such. Here are some replays of the team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1193183294
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1191965026

Last edited:
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick/Focus Blast

OK, I will concede on Cinderace for now. But this is the exact set that pushed Magearna over the edge in OU. The addition of Trick with Home makes it able to cripple things like Chansey that would normally counter it in the previous meta, while retaining the best typing and moves. Even without Fairy/Steel, Trick+Volt Switch allows you to run literally any combination of moves with specs on and still cripple your counters.
Electric/Ice
Fighting/Steel
Ghost/Fairy
It now also has access to Stored Power+Calm Mind, allowing you to run Shift Gear/Iron Defense+Draining Kiss for the recovery and Steel/Fairy typing.
You're saying the best attribute before Home was it's typing, well now it has two moves that allow it to abuse this typing and many others consistently.
I am glad you have looked into it and deemed it not broken so you can elaborate on the vast counterplay this mon has.
Heya - this mon does indeed have vast counterplay. Given the simplicity of what's been said here, I think that some examples need to be made. Lets look through S - A- of the VR and see what checks this supposedly broken Pokemon.

Mew: Fire/Ground is a hard answer in every way possible. Ground/Flying is also a pretty solid answer as well as being a highly splashable offensive threat. Check.

Clefable: Dark/Poison walls all sets with setup. This is pretty close for most Dark/Poisons too ftr. Counter to CM.

Dragapult: Any Fire variant acts as a nice check. Check.

Magearna: AV answers most sets. Jirachi is the superior variant to this however. Counter by technicality, otherwise not great.

Arcanine: Checks no Focus Blast Magearna with Normal/Fire. Check.

Blissey: Walls all variants that aren't CM Split or CM Kiss. Hates Trick but still doesn't take it too hard. Check.

Jirachi: Practical hard counter. Counter.

Kommo-o: Steel/Ground /w Bulletproof is literally the hardest Magearna wall in the game. It never gets past it. Counter.

Lucario: Solid HO switchin to Magearna if Ground or Fire as secondary. Check.

Reuniclus: Wins the CM war vs Magearna and regenerates off Specs damage. Counter.

Toxapex: Dark/Poison variants act like Clefable, and can regenerate off Specs Fleur Cannons fairly easy. Counter.

Volcarona: Most Magearna cannot hit Grass/Fire Volcarona neutrally, and can easily win CM wars. Hates Trick but not as hard as it would in OU. Counter.

Cinderace: Takes a Pyro Ball or Gunk Shot depending on variant but can't take a Fleur Cannon. Check.

Hippowdon: Rock/Ground walls all but CM SP variants. Somewhat dislikes Trick. Rigid check.

Rillaboom: Grass/Ground can check Magearna fairly well both through Glide revenge killing and High Horsepower hitting bulkier variants. Check.

Slowking: Fire/Ground takes nothing from any hit Magearna can produce, and hits back most variants super effectively. Can lose to SP in dire situations but is likely to counter. Counter.

Urshifu: Owns SP variants with Dark/Poison & Dark/Steel, but cannot switch into Specs Fleur. Check.

As you can clearly see, over half of the viability rankings can check Magearna pretty decently, and there are a few outright hard counters that are splashable on teams especially with current metagame composition. Magearna has never been much of a trouble for me and I don't think it's gonna get frustrating enough for me to flip and want to quickban it.

Stay frosty, y'all.

Avalugg @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Recover
- Crunch / Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball / Earthquake

With access to reliable recovery, a godlike Defense stat, the amazing move in Body Press, and the secondary moves to optimize itself to its needs, Avalugg takes pride in being a universal anchor for any team needing a physical wall. Body Press and Recover are two mandatory moves for Avalugg, and should generally never be moved around unless specifically required for another specific set. The 2nd slot generally goes to Iron Defense to supply Avalugg with a boosting move that doubles as both a way to negate opponent's Attack boosting or improve the damage of Body Press. The last move is reserved for coverage. Crunch is the preferred coverage move of choice that provides consistent damage and can punish incoming Ghost types that want to try and withstand Body Press. Heavy Slam and Gyro Ball are other STAB considerations tat punish incoming Fairy types which Avalugg can make use of, although both of their applications vary from each other and can each provide inconsistent results. Finally, Earthquake is a fair coverage option that compromises between the others and hits for reasonable neutral damage while dealing more damage to the likes of Toxapex and other outlying type combinations.

There are other choices for the last slot, but most of them tend to be very situational at the best of times. Iron Head and High Horsepower are weaker alternatives to their respective type choices for more consistent damage or a way to play around Grassy Terrain, but those moments are usually negligible. Avalanche and Stone Edge are other coverage moves that may be considered, but typically don't offer any more utility than the others would. Mirror Coat is a hilarious way for Avalugg to outplay an incoming Special Attack aimed towards it alongside Sturdy and Recover, but is incredibly gimmicky. Toxic or Protect can act as useful utility options that Avalugg can take good advantage of to either put a sturdy opponent on a timer or scout moves while restoring some Leftovers Hp, but it can be difficult finding the time or place for using them in practice and in theory. Finally, Avalugg can generally make great use of Rapid Spin for team support, but simply lacks the free moveslots to make full use of it without being walled endlessly by stray Ghosts and others that would normally fare poorly against it.

If you would prefer to run a STAB Steel attack as Avalugg's coverage move of choice, it's also possible to adjust the move slots so you can run Curse instead of Iron Defense by running Body Press / Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball / Curse / Recover. Speaking of Curse, it is also possible to run that as a secondary typing for different resistances, but it should be warned that doing so will make it no longer able to buff its stats with the move and will inflict Curse status onto the opponent by cutting off half of its Hp instead. These choices are perfectly reasonable given what you may want from Avalugg, but it is important to notice the loss of overall potential utility in doing so.

The EVs maximize its physical defense and thus power for Body Press while bringing over spare EVs into Special Defense to cushion some stray weaker Special Attacks better from the likes of Clefable, Slowbro or Porygon2. A Relaxed Nature with mimimum Speed investment lets Avalugg either compliment with or combat against Trick Room strategies, and does not make any of its matchups any worse because there is nothing of worth to outspeed outside of Trick Room. Doing this also makes Avalugg a much more immediate threat to the likes of primary Trick Room abusers like Marowak-Alola, who would now lose the matchup because Avalugg will now out-prioritize it and nab the 2HKO first. Sturdy gives Avalugg a free life if it happens to come across a move that would otherwise knock it out at full health. Leftovers is generally preferred for the passive recovery, but Rocky Helmet further punishes physical attackers that blindly swing into Avalugg.

For those conservative people who want to invest in more Special Defense for a safer mixed tank, Avalugg's EVs are fairly customizable. If you find the Defense investment for such a behemoth excessive, you can always move some of it down into its pathetic Special Defense stat so that it has a higher likelihood of withstanding incoming Special Attacks aimed at it. It should be known, however, that 252 Hp / 144 Def / 112 SpD is the furthest you should go with splitting its defenses, as going any lower will make it so Body Press no longer guarantees the 2HKO against Marowak-Alola. Don't even bother with moving any investment towards Attack or Speed; there is pretty much no noticeable power threshold that Avalugg should try to reach and almost nothing of worth that Avalugg should try to speed creep against.

I'm having a lot of fun with this meta so far! It allows for a lot of interesting synergies. However, my favorite mon currently is Lycanroc-Dusk:

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch / Crunch
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock / Crunch

This set is crazy powerful. This very good boy's STAB and Tough Claws boosted Close Combats basically 2HKO everything that isn't a Ghost type or Avalugg-level bulky. And what's that? A Ghost type in your way? No problem! STAB Sucker Punch or Crunch them to teach them a little somethin'.
I run Adamant for maximum damage (and I run him with Sticky Web support from Vikavolt), but you can opt for Jolly for better revenge-killing. After a Swords Dance, this doggo practically guarantees that you will bruise everything, including resists.

For reference, this is the damage for Slowbro and Avalugg with neutrally defensive typings:
252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 156-185 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 230-270 (58.3 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course, it can hardly take a hit, with exception to a few notable priority moves: with Fighting / Dark it can take an opposing Sucker Punch, and with Fighting / Rock it will eat an Extreme Speed and Fake Out combo. I prefer the Dark typing for STAB Sucker Punch and/or Crunch, but if you don't like mind games or hate dying to Normal priority then Rock is better. It synergizes well with Teleporters or slow U-turn users like Slowbro or Mandibuzz to punish slower wallbreakers. Special attackers like NP Rotom, Alakazam, or Toxtricity help destroy its defensive answers. Lastly, it's very susceptible to chip damage and status (worn down very quickly in addition to Life Orb), but that's what teammates are for, right?

Making the monthly obligatory OM ideas post

I present to you, the most heat set of the metagame.
SWEEPER COALOSSAL - Water/Rock.

Coalossal @ Power Herb
Ability: Steam Engine
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Meteor Beam
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam

The ability Steam Engine is incredible when you're not 4x weak to water. Swap into your opponents water/fire type attack, get your speed stat to 450. Hit your opponent with stab, +1, 120bp special rock move. You may think that the stat of base 80 special attack is underwhelming, but it's all you need at +1 with 450 speed, you're set to put holes in your opponent's team. Continue to make waves with stab, +1 scalds and flamethrower for coverage. Alternatively, avoid activating your +1 and surprise that bulky water/ground mew with a solar-beam. With Coalossal's natural bulk, this guy will always pull through, regardless of whether you get that speed boost. Unfortunately, ancient power is the only other special rock move, so you're lacking that. But i think you'll find pretty quickly, that the solarbeam option provides some nice peace of mind, and meteor beam isn't merely a gimic one-use move when you have enough defence and pressure to stay in to get +2.

I've added more ideas below. I just felt this set deserved a highlight. Hope you find something interesting.

OTHER IDEAS

Sandaconda @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Spit
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Scale Shot
- Stone Edge
- Coil
- Glare

I'll be honest. This is an example of how things that seem amazing in your head, tend to be a little lackluster in use. Whilst it's a fun mon to use when it works, there's a few key problems. Namely the prevalence of Steel types, who completely wall this set. It's hard to justify removing glare, as it is such an incredible move, but it probably needs more coverage. Also, in my testing, it seems you don't get the sand typing spdef boost that sand spit was there for. But sandspit will still help you counter weather setters and break sashes. I would love to see someone make this work a little better!

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 4 SpA / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Recover

The problem with this set in regular OU/UU was always the fact that you were walled by dark types. Here's your solution. Pure Steel typing. No immunities, reliable stab and some nice defensive resists. It may be wise to go max Defense instead of special defense, since physical attackers are far more common threats to steel typing.

Mimikyu @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Play Rough
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

Mimikyu has a tendency to be low key, one of the best pokemon in every OM. I haven't seen in mentioned, so here's a set that I've found encourages plenty of forfeits. Anti-stall, anti-balance and a check to most offence. You wouldn't believe how many steel/flying scizors have been put down by underestimating this little monster.

Polteageist @ White Herb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Dark Pulse
- Strength Sap
- Shell Smash

Shell smash is the just a win button. If your opponent didn't bring a good dark type, they're probably losing to this.

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- U-turn

What's better than stab priority? That's right, two stab priorities. We all know this is what it should have been. Pair with the Rillaboom below for a base 100, life orb, stab, priority healing move. U-turn is just a filler move, (I haven't used any move besides giga drain and draining kiss so far, i just late game sweep at neutral so far). Defog, or aromatherapy are good alternatives.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn
- Wood Hammer

*Added Ground type*. Yeah, it's still ridiculously powerful in this meta. Stab ground moves just make it harder to switch into. No more bulky steel or fire types are living your attack. Still the strongest priority user and beyond flying/steel types (Which you can get momentum on), this thing seems to punish the entire meta.
I just thought it was worth mentioning that the regular mons are still incredible if you want to play this meta competitively. Honestly, often they are still superior with their tried and tested sets. Things like Terrakion, magnet pull Magnezone or Volcarona can keep their current sets and still do extremely well.

Drampa @ Leftovers
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Glare

This is basically a bootleg Zapdos, besides two major advantages. Glare and a roost/Beserk combo. Guaranteed paralysis, and a SPA boost everytime you drop down past 50%. Slightly less bulk than Zapdos, but more Spa attack. You can swap out glare for calm mind for a bit more sweeping potential.

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Boomburst
- Clangorous Soul
- Taunt

Stab Boomburst is not to be underrated. Throat spray for the easy boost, taunt to beat down some stall or leads, omni boost for the sweep. Flamethrower for the annoying steel types. Depending on the match up, this guy can be a turn one win.

Just to reiterate. This is not a team. They're just ideas. Tried and tested for a few games around the 1200-1400 point mark.

Last edited:
Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage

What's better than stab priority? That's right, two stab priorities. We all know this is what it should have been. Pair with the Rillaboom below for a base 100, life orb, stab, priority healing move. Pain split is just a filler move, assuming it gets priority (I haven't used any move besides giga drain and draining kiss so far, i just late game sweep at neutral so far). Uturn, defog, or aromatherapy are good alternatives.
Sorry to disappoint you, but only those moves that would have been blocked by Heal Block get prioritised by Triage. In the case of Comfey, there are just five such moves in its moveset, the other three being Floral Healing, Rest and Synthesis. (You can use /ms Comfey, recovery to check.)

Sorry to disappoint you, but only those moves that would have been blocked by Heal Block get prioritised by Triage. In the case of Comfey, there are just five such moves in its moveset, the other three being Floral Healing, Rest and Synthesis. (You can use /ms Comfey, recovery to check.)
Thanks for the advice. I had thought that might be the case, but since it was an empty slot i didn't try too hard to test against faster mons. I'll fix that set up.

Gross Yucky Camo Stall (#1)

Introduction

So stall is looking really powerful in this Camo meta. I just peaked at number one (1526) on the ladder with the following cast of fat bastards:

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze

A necessity of any stall team, and the usual lead. Knock Off gives this thing great utility in knocking off Choice items from mons that threaten to overpower any walls, and T-spikes punish more passive mons. Haze is a must for stopping setup sweepers of any kind, most commonly Volcarona and Nasty Plotters given this SpDef focused set. Pex continues to be an absolute kingpin and the Dark/Poison typing is arguably more powerful defensively than Water/Poison with the great psychic immunity, and other Fighting checks later in the team.

Avalugg @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Body Press
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Avalugg is the primary physical wall of the team, able to eat basically any Banded neutral hit from any mon with ease, and even some strong supereffective hits thanks to its ungodly stats. The Ghost/Fighting typing is excellent defensively, walling mons that rely on hard-hitting Close Combats while provining a neutral answer against Wicked Blow from Urshifu. STAB Body Press hits like a bus and Rapid Spin is great extra utility, albeit sometimes hard to pull off given this set's inability to touch Ghost types.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off

The secondary physical wall, basically just normal defensive tangrowth with a much better defensive typing. Great for otherwise scary mons like Belly Drum Slurpuff, and hits opposing Fairies hard with STAB Sludge Bomb. Knock Off is great for opposing Ghost mons that Avalugg has trouble dealing with.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Literally just Skarmory. It's typing is already so good, as it provides a great Steel type and an important physical Ground immunity to pair with Tangrowth and a great Flying resist for Avalugg. Stops any opposing Rillaboom and Haxorus sets that I've run into so far, and Rocks are great passive pressure if your opponent has a poison type for the T-spikes. Normally I would run Shed Shell, but I've only come across one Magnezone so far so it hasn't felt necessary.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

This fat piece of trash is another example of a mon so good it doesn't need a type change. Chansey does what it does, forming an unbreakable special wall with Toxapex, allows this team to outstall Volcarona and Nasty Plot Porygon-Z with Toxic+Haze+Regen. Blissey is hot this gen with boots and may have a place here instead, but I haven't found hazards to be too big of an issue thus far.

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Mud Shot
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Slowbro is perhaps the least consistently used member of the team and kind of an extra mon I threw on here because it looked good. However, I have found that this set works very well in certain matchups to take pressure off some of the other walls. With an AV, Slowbro is an excellent mixed wall and can eat up a strong hit on both defensive sides with ease and fire back a strong Scald. The ground type with Mud Shot is kind of cheese but it's actually great to have an Electric immunity that can soak up any following special hit (even some non-stab Energy Balls). The Water type provides a useful Fire resist, especially as another switch in to big hitters like Darmanitan. All in all, the triple Regenerator core is just so disgusting and proves again and again why Regen is the most broken defensive ability of all time.

Conclusion

Apologies for unleashing this foul team onto the ladder, but it is always interesting for me to see how bulkier playstyles can be explored in OMs. Many people like to jump to the interesting new offensive mons that are unlocked with powerful STABs, but I actually think Camomons is one of the few OMs where stall and similar teams are relatively better. In terms of difficult mons I've encountered while playing on the ladder, the only one I can really think of that I played recently was a Ghost/Fairy Nasty Plot Alakazam. Due to its typing, Magic Guard, and dangerous setup potential due to NP+Zam's great SpA, this actually beats Chansey and can quickly overpower Pex if its sash is intact to survive the Knock. Fortunately with Sturdy Skarm or AV Bro even if Pex goes down it can be revenge killed, but can definitely be a threat.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Body Press
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Mud Shot
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

P. S. Only use this if you are willing to be (deservedly) berated by every single opponent you play against for using such a shameless, despicable team​

Last edited:
I think scolipede should be on the VR. im not sure how high up, but using it on a screens team its been a consistent lifesaver for me.

Its speed lets it run adamant while still outspeeding a ton of relevant pokemon before it gets a boost. Adamant 100 attack hits are a threat even before swords dance, especailly given its new coverage. While seemingly limited, its movepool gained some notable new attacks that help it break. Earthquake, megahorn, superpower, aqua tail, iron tail, are all high BP moves to make its already respectable attack even more threatening. And with better typings, its passable defenses let it live some crucial hits. I run earthquake rock slide, and that typing lets it resist the common fire electric pokemon, as well as flying attacks.

It is limited to offensive builds, but it undeniably deserves mention on the VR

Byleth

Retirement
Sup, first post ever on this site. I wanted to share a rain team because I'm bored which got me to a little over 1400 which isn't good but oh well.

:Kingdra:
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Flip Turn / Toxic

The main rain abuser on the team. Pretty self explanatory, spam hydro or hurricane to break and surf to clean if you're in the clear. Toxic can be used over flip turn if you want to annoy anything walling you, bar steels/poisons.

:Azumarill:
Darth (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Liquidation

This is the mon that I'm least sure about in the team, but I needed something that could break things really hard, and that's what this can do. Stab knock is nice for crippling switch-ins harder if you don't want to click belly drum and the rest is self explanatory as well, just under rain.

:Pelipper:
Boring Rain Setter (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald / Knock Off
- Roost / U-turn
- Defog
- U-turn / Roost

Standard pelipper set with the option to forego burn chance for item removal. Defog is required as nothing else can fill the role. Bug or flying as secondary typing can be preference.

:Mantine:
actually grounded (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

Seismitoad, but with reliable recovery? This somewhat handles other potential rain teams for me, acting as a nice water and electric stop with the spread above's ability to avoid the 2hko from opposing specs kingdra (using hurricane) after stealth rock while the rest of the evs are stuffed into defense to stomach resisted and weaker neutral hits.

:urshifu: (R)
Watah (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat
- U-turn

A real pain to offensive teams. Rain boosted strikes make frailer mons cry and bypasses screens when pelipper can't come in, while poison jab is chosen over CC as the stab to potentially hit grass harder for S/E damage and switch into attacks better, although CC is definitely a strong alternative as it's stronger and still provides useful resistances in the form of Dusk Lycan and Cinderace's sucker punch.

:Ferrothorn:
wet sunflower (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave / Gyro Ball
- Knock Off / Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Physical wall/rocker with the intention to cripple just about anything to wear down the opposing team with the combination of knock twave rocky helm and iron barbs. Grass electric is interesting as it removes the weakness of fire completely under rain while becoming an even harder electric resist. Steel can still be used to protect yourself from toxic and hitting things with gyro.

And that's it. Pretty sure the team can easily be adjusted for improvements, but I just wanted to post something, camo has really grown on me.

I think scolipede should be on the VR. im not sure how high up, but using it on a screens team its been a consistent lifesaver for me.

Its speed lets it run adamant while still outspeeding a ton of relevant pokemon before it gets a boost. Adamant 100 attack hits are a threat even before swords dance, especailly given its new coverage. While seemingly limited, its movepool gained some notable new attacks that help it break. Earthquake, megahorn, superpower, aqua tail, iron tail, are all high BP moves to make its already respectable attack even more threatening. And with better typings, its passable defenses let it live some crucial hits. I run earthquake rock slide, and that typing lets it resist the common fire electric pokemon, as well as flying attacks.

It is limited to offensive builds, but it undeniably deserves mention on the VR
:ss/Scolipede:
Scolipede @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn

Definitely agree with you here. I've been trying this scolipede set and it snowballs pretty nicely (also pairs really well w screens), with aqua and eq as nice stabs finalized with megahorn to obliterate grass types trying to stomach. Definitely think it deserves a spot but I'll leave replays to someone else if that's needed.

Any levitate pokemon with Poison & Dark moves is set, effectively having no weaknesses as a result.
It's a good combo for sure, but nothing (legal) with Levitate has the statline and movepool to really exploit that lack of weaknesses. Bronzong has the requisite bulk, but it doesn't have good recovery or a strong offensive presence, so it gets worn down throughout the match. Same deal with Weezing, Rotom formes, and Claydol, except they have even less bulk. (Rotom could theoretically run a Nasty Plot set to have good offensive presence, but it needs to have Toxic to get the Poison typing, so that doesn't really gel). Flygon and Solrock/Lunatone get recovery, but their laughable bulk means they're going down to strong neutral hits anyways.

And on top of all that, Haxorus is a threatening sweeper that does not care a lick about Levitate.

Generally, if you're going to run a Levitate mon, it makes the most sense to maximize its resistances, rather than strictly minimize its weaknesses. An Electric/Poison type with Levitate, while it would still be weak to Psychic, would resist Bug, Electric, Fairy, Fighting, Flying, Grass, Poison, Steel, and be immune to Ground. That's enough to circumvent low bulk by just flatly walling a wider array of threats than you could with Dark/Poison. Or, consider a Fire/Steel with Levitate -- Poison and Ground immunities, five 4x resisted types, and four 2x resisted types. Well worth being weak to Fighting and Water.

On an unrelated note, this is a nice set if you're in the market for an offensive Rock type:

Starmie @ Power Herb
Ability: Analytic / Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Power Gem / Rapid Spin
- Rapid Spin / Recover

Starmie is the fastest legal Meteor Beam user, and Water/Rock is a good offensive typing. It can also spin pretty well, since no Ghost type really wants to risk taking an Analytic-boosted +1 STAB. Starmie is flexible enough that you can take a fully offensive route with Hydro Pump and Analytic, or be more of an offensive utility mon with Natural Cure and Recover.

On an unrelated note, this is a nice set if you're in the market for an offensive Rock type:

Starmie @ Power Herb
Ability: Analytic / Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Power Gem / Rapid Spin
- Rapid Spin / Recover
The set is nice, but it gives Starmie a bad defensive typing in Water-Rock. It would be checked by a well placed grass type move.

There haven't been many full teams posted since the OM went active again, so I'll sacrifice my favourite team for all you lurkers who just want an easy pastable team to try out:

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Drampa @ Leftovers
Ability: Berserk
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Glare

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Encore

Necrozma @ Life Orb
Ability: Prism Armor
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Dual Wingbeat
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Clefable @ Black Sludge
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect

:Lycanroc-Dusk: (Dark/Fighting): eighteenPancakes mentioned lycanroc being extremely powerful and they were right. I've found it to be an incredible lead, though I favour stealth rock/sash over swords dance/life orb. It 2khos anything that isn't stall-based and 1 HKOs a large variety of threats. Fighting/Dark coverage is all you need, the sash basically guarantees you a kill, most of this OM's teams are ill-equipped to deal with hazards and a 91 bp, stab priority can be very useful.

:Drampa: (Electric/Flying): This is one of my personal creations and I haven't seen anyone use Drampa besides me. But anyone who has played me has probably been annoyed with this mon. Electric/flying, as seen with Zapdos, is an incredible typing both offensively and defensively. Thunderbolt/Hurricanes can tear most teams apart, glare can cripple anything that isn't electric and roost gives you longevity. Add in Beserk with a base Spa of 135, and all of a sudden, you have a very dangerous defensive wall. The only good answer to this mon is an electric type which can out damage Drampa before it gets beserk boosts. Heavy-duty boots is also a sensible item choice given that I have left the team with no hazard removal.

:Alakazam: (Ghost/Fairy): Easily one of the best pokemon in this OM and this is easily the best variant. Immune to a variety of attacks and priority users, with a dual stab that makes it near impossible to resist. Guaranteed sash, immune to hazards/toxic, nasty plot to sweep and encore to punish stall (Recover is also an option for that purpose). This is a super spammable mon on any team, essentially playing like a far superior version of Mimikyu that you can throw out at any point for revenge kills and critical situations.

:Necrozma: (Fire/Ground): Arguably the best offensive typing possible, this thing is a monster and will break anything that isn't either a Chansey, a bulky Mew (Water/flying) or Blissey. That's no exaggeration. If you don't outspeed and 1 HKO this, you're in serious trouble. This is the answer to all the bulky steel and poison pokemon that have taken over this OM and it represents a shifting of the meta. My version is designed for maximised firepower, with a modest nature, calm mind, life orb and recovery, so that you reliably break apart your opponent's defensive options. Timid nature may become better as this version of Necrozma becomes more common (I suspect it will soon be one of the most common offensive pokemon).

:Scizor: (Steel/Flying): Every team wants a nice steel/flying pokemon with roost and in the first few days of this OM, this was probably the most common pokemon. It does everything Scizor used to do, except better. It switches into things like Rillaboom or earthquake spammers, sets up and wins. Dual wing beat becomes a stab, 2-hit brave bird and makes resists look pitiful. Boosted bullet punch cleans up games, especially with stealth rocks to assist. Lum berry is there to help ensure you don't get haxed by a surprise scald, or walled by a random will-o-wisp mew.

:Clefable: (Dark/poison): Just when this team was looking like a nice, interesting and fun option, Clefable comes in to ruin it. And also to save you from opposing stall/set up... Unaware Clefable is just too nice to ignore. Wish support for switches, toxic to beat down any non-poison/steel pokemon and knock off for that important chip/utility. Clefable is the glue that keeps this team together when opposing stall or set up tries to break it apart. Think of it as a necessary evil in a world full of "Gross Yucky Camo Stall".

ENJOY!
(Edit: Thank you to the people who told me how to get sprites.)

Last edited:
This team get me high on the ladder,so I want to share the team with you.
Screenshot_20201009-040113687_1.jpg

Mega zarude (Rillaboom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- High Horsepower

Ash sucks (Pikachu) @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Tackle
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off

Doge (Lycanroc-Dusk) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Red renger (Scizor) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dual Wingbeat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Dpult (Dragapult) @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Steel Wing
- Dragon Darts
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Mothra (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
Grass/dark rillaboom:Such a broken ass gorilla.I think life orb SD set is the best to utilize its sweeping and breaking potential.I run dark as the secendary typing so I can murder those steel flying scizors with +2 knock off.I find ground coverage more useful than fighting coverage.So many dark poison pokemons running around.
Normal/electric pikachu:The strongest and the only fakespeeder in camomons.I choose electric as a secondary typing cause volt tackle is pikachu's stronkest move available.Knock off is there for ghosts.Light ball make this electric yellow rodent hit very hard like Dio Brando.
Dark/fighting lycanroc dusk:Basically the suicide lead just like my last gen camomons team.Tough claw boosted close combat hit like a road roller.I run rock fighting first but I find so many bulky ghosts running around,so I make it dark fighting.I don't run taunt on this thing cause my team is not that weak to hazards.
Steel flying scizor: Standard scizor set.I doubted if someone run anything else.This ev spread and nature let me take special hits better while maintaining some offensive power.Leftovers allow me to set up SD more easily.
Steel/dragon dragapult:The fast espeed resist for my team.The resistance provided by this typing let me switch in some attacks in a pinch.Banded dragon darts hit really hard and fire blast is there for coverage.
Fire/flying volcarona:Pretty standard offensive QD set.This typing provide 4x resist to grasst glide and let me win most one on one against other volcaronas.I find many teams not prepared for this majestic beast.
Enjoy!

Ok, tested a team enough to be confident posting it and also got a replay from a room tour to back it up. (Also to show that scolipede deserves VR)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8camomons-1201744204

https://pokepast.es/12e766dcbb88d1fc

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch/Taunt

Essentially a dedicated lead. This thing can get 1 or 2 kills by itself in a ton of matchups. Being a lead, staying in and spamming CC until you die can help dent its usual checks to make room for the back. Struggles against a lot of mews, so taunt over sucker could work. But usually just attacking unitl you die works just fine.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Spirit Break
- Light Screen
- Reflect

The lead, it cant really get a better typing than its vanilla. Dark for prankster immunity, fairy for STAB spirit break. Max attack lets you dent anything that doesnt resist, making this thing far from passive. HP because speed is a waste on a prankster mon.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

Pretty standard, Boots help the webs matchup immensely. Sets up for free on the majority of mew sets, and with screens its defensive typing becomes quite valuable.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Close Combat/Earthquake
- Taunt
- Crunch/Swords Dance

Lots of slashes here, it rarely does much besides click life orb first impression. But that is valuable, and taunt is always helpful for last minute cleanups with Scolipede and Volcarona. A breaker, not a sweepr.

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Flamethrower
- Clangorous Soul
- Taunt

A massive threat, Kommo-o's bulk lets it set up frequently even without screens, and with them it can not only set up easier, but live almost any neutral physical hit once set up, with a boost and screen. Taunt is filler, but certainly useful against the few things that eat a hit. Often times can 6/0 from lead.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Protect

The star of the show! Its speed tier lets it run adamant, while still outspeeding a ton of relevant mons, outrunning even max speed haxorus. An adamant nature gives it a relevant offensive presence even before an SD. The many taunters on the team can help keep rocks away, as well as the immense offensive pressure of it's partners. With rocks away, its sash allows it to check volcarona singlehandedly, and turn the tides of games as the last pokemon.

The team has issues certainly, but at the very least I hope this is enough to get Scolipede on the VR. I think a B Rank is good, but it really only fits on HO.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
/ / /
/ / /

Here's a bulky balance team that I've had some fun with on the ladder and recently helped me peak, which was a first for me in Camomons. I really wanted to try out Hatterene after running into a few defensive builds that gave me some trouble so I built around it.
camo #1 (2).PNG
:hatterene:
/
@ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Aromatherapy / Nuzzle / Healing Wish

I chose a physically defensive spread here since Calm Mind is an option to boost special bulk and become more threatening. Ghost/Grass is really nice for spinblocking the passive guys like Avalugg and Coalossal while also preventing the latter from setting hazards. Grass comes in handy as a nice Ground resist. I think Calm Mind is needed to take advantage of certain matchups but the last slot has a lot of options. Psyshock is weird but does funny things to Blissey. Aromatherapy, Nuzzle, and Healing Wish are all nice support options to choose from as well.

:magnezone:
/
@ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SpA / 80 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat / Toxic
- Thunderbolt

My eyes light up when I see Scizor at team preview because I know eventually I'll get to completely own it. I chose the original typing to 4x resist Scizor's STABs and check every variant except random Superpower ones. Magnet Pull also comes in handy against Steel/Flying mons like Mew, Corviknight/Skarmory and some stray Pelipper or Mandibuzz as well as Steel/Fighting Avalugg. The EVs look weird, but it is mainly to outspeed standard Scizors and enough SpA to 2HKO 0 SpD Mew on neutral hits with Specs Thunderbolt. This guy can be setup fodder against certain Magearna, which is a pain, but generally pulls its weight without feeling forced in for Scizor only.

:slowking:
/
@ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Dragon Tail

AV Slowking came to mind when I asked the Camo Discord how to hard check Porygon-Z since it is a nightmare to face at times. Andy provided me with this typing and I dig it so far. Fire/Ground is a great offensive typing even if it relies on Earthquakes coming from base 75 Attack. I've been pleasantly surprised at EQ's damage output so far though, especially when the opponent is expecting something like Mud Shot. Ice Beam is just good coverage while Psyshock is currently filler, but Slowking has a ton of options here. Been thinking about Dragon Tail to force things like Volcarona out if they attempt to setup. I minimized Speed and maxed SpD with Sassy to help keep up with Trick Room teams better.

:urshifu:
/
@ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Wicked Blow
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

After playing with Black Glasses on this set I wanted to give Choice Band a try and the power does not disappoint. After Stealth Rock, it is able to 2HKO Dark/Poison Unaware Clefable and even break through Protect attempts with Unseen Fist. Sucker Punch is super handy for revenge killing frail offensive guys after they've been worn down but it is a bit sketchy since it can cause 50/50s. I tried out Retaliate in the first slot for a bit and it was pretty fun, but very situational and not as reliable as Iron Head.

:mew:
/
@ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Nasty Plot
- Soft-Boiled

Playing with this set led me to several conclusions. First, BW sprites are cooler than XY sprites, Mew especially. Second, Water/Flying Mew looks so much better shiny since it is blue and it just looks right. Third, Hurricane is a really good/bad move and I love/hate it. I initially tried out a 252 HP / 252 Spe spread to outpace Urshifu and Haxorus but the loss in bulk really hurt my Lycanroc-Dusk matchup so I went back to physically defensive. Nasty Plot is really good here because you can just boost up on passive guys and become a big threat to defensive cores.

:coalossal:
/
@ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Doubling up on bulky Water-types is a little odd but the Flying- and Fighting-types have worked well together so far. Flame Body + Scald means that burns are pretty likely. Body Press is nice on this set and keeps it from being super passive. Spin and Rocks are Coalossal staples. This guy and Mew are my way to deal with Lycanroc-Dusk, who can otherwise run through my team fairly easily depending on what STABs it is running.

:lycanroc-dusk:
This dog is probably the biggest threat to the team, especially Play Rough variants as they can 2HKO both Mew and Coalossal. Any variant must be played carefully though, but it is important to get rocks set and to keep Mew and Coal healthy since they are both guaranteed 2HKOes from any dog variant. Life Orb chip and Close Combat drops can be used to your advantage to get it in range of Sucker Punch in desperate times.

:rillaboom:
Rillaboom can be quite threatening if it gets an opportunity to Swords Dance. Wood Hammer variants with Life Orb cleanly OHKO Mew at +2 and do a ton of damage to Hatterene, but Hatt can at least fire back a terrain-boosted Giga Drain. Urshifu can also come in and tank boosted Grassy Glide and has a 62.5% chance to OHKO non Fighting-types.

:choice-scarf::choice-specs:
Trick/Switcheroo is pretty annoying to deal with, depending on the user, but this team at least packs two choice item users of its own to provide some "counter-play."

Here's a couple replays
Outlasting Regen Spam Stall
Handling PZ + Lycanroc

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Camomons meteorologist here bringing you another weather report post. Disclaimer: this will be quite a long post that will be divided into three parts.

I. CAMOMONS COUNCIL ROUND TABLE PODCAST

Hello, everyone! I am here to release this podcast featuring the Camomons Council (w/o a loser) as the Camomons is now selected as the Other Metagame of October 2020! I know it's way too late, but better later than never! This fifty-three-minute-long podcast features the upcoming projects in store for the Camomons metagame and the Pokemon who might get a significant impact in the Camomons metagame come Crown Tundra DLC!

Don't forget to subscribe to my channel if you want to see more of my Camomons-related content like this!

II. METAGAME OBSERVATIONS

So, before the influx of several Pokemon upon the release of Crown Tundra DLC, I've managed to look at some trends that have been ringing upon the release of the Camomons ladder:

//
//
//
These part-Electric type combinations are getting the spotlight because Scizor has been a menacing force in the Camomons metagame thanks to the inclusion of Dual Wingbeat and its ubiquitous Bullet Punch that Steel/Flying has been the golden standard among all other type combinations. As such, people are taking advantage of Pokemon with select Electric moves to take hits from Scizor's modified STAB moves. While Mew is the most common one and its defensive sets are getting more traction than its offensive counterparts, there are other capable Pokemon such as Poison/Electric Rotom appliances (most notably Heat, Wash, and Frost), Steel/Electric Vikavolt, and even the more uncommon Arcanine and Tyranitar donning their Fire/Electric typing - all of them are capable of dealing with Scizor with ease.
Speaking of Fire/Electric, I would like to give Arcanine a special mention here as it is one of the most capable Pokemon to deal with Fire/Grass and Fire/Flying Volcarona as well, and one of the teams I used served its role better. Its mix of offensive and defensive capabilities, coupled with Morning Sun, brings this Pokemon as one of the unsung heroes against some of the most threatening Pokemon.
Avalugg and Slowbro may be considered some of the premier physical walls in the Camomons metagame that can don a Poison/Fighting type combination. Both of them are actually capable of dealing with the more common Dark/Fighting Lycanroc-Dusk and Urshifu variants that way. While Avalugg may have to be more concerned against special attacks, and while Slowbro can afford to have type combinations other than Poison/Fighting due to its decent movepool, there's also Mudsdale, one of the unsung heroes in the Camomons metagame, who is capable of putting Body Presses to work thanks to its Stamina boosting its Defense whenever it gets hit (though it has to rely on Wish Pokemon to regain its health whenever possible).
If that would be the case, I have a feeling a Poison/Fairy type combination would be one of the most sought-after defensive types at this point - something that Weezing-Galar could take advantage of at the moment, and Cresselia in the upcoming Crown Tundra DLC. Actually, with that type combination, it is capable of dealing with whichever Lycanroc-Dusk set it can possibly run (except for those with Drill Run unless Weezing-Galar runs Levitate).
//
Apart from the Scolipede that avividrose clamored for to include in the Viability Rankings (that I have yet to tell the metagame leader In The Hills about this - don't worry, I can attest), allow me to hear out on this one: I am going to advocate Rhyperior to be included in the Viability Rankings as well, starting with B/B-. The reason for this can be attested by one of my fellow colleagues, DraconicLepus: this is one definition of a tank as it has the ability to absorb Electric attacks like a champion by virtue of Lightning Rod, sets up Stealth Rock, and boosts with Swords Dance while taking good hits.
While I used a Water/Ghost variation (Aqua Tail + Shadow Claw/Spite) in the early stages of Camomons, DraconicLepus, through her participation in the SwSh CamUUmons Tournament, discovered how amazing a Rhyperior donning the Empoleon type combination alongside Lightning Rod would be an amazing tank (not to mention that the Water/Steel variant becomes one of the best answers to Electric/Ice Porygon-Z, one of the more common threats in Camomons). As such, I would like to give consideration to this Rhyperior to be included in the Viability Rankings for the huge merit it brings.

III. ILLUSION MECHANICS

As I hosted the SwSh CamUUmons Tournament, I tried getting my hands dirty on Ghost/Fire Zoroark in the Camomons ladder under the name kathy cursola, paired with a Grass/Dark Centiskorch (refer to the podcast video about it). Here are my observations with the Illusion mechanics, provided with the condition that Grass/Dark Centiskorch has not sent out yet:

Scenario 1: Upon first switch-in after a Pokemon fainted, Zoroark disguises as a Centiskorch with a Grass/Dark typing.​
Scenario 2: Upon successive switch-ins after a Pokemon fainted, Zoroark disguises as a Centiskorch, this time, with a Ghost/Fire typing.​
Scenario 3: Upon switching Zoroark in within a turn, Zoroark, while disguised as a Centiskorch, appears to have a Ghost/Fire typing first before it becomes Grass/Dark at the end of the turn.​

Therefore, I would like to ask the coding and programming people as to how Illusion is interacted in the Camomons metagame because of the unusual mechanics. I hope someone from the coding / programming department would enlighten us with this as it may greatly affect how we play Zoroark in the future ladder / tournament matches and how we, the Camomons council, will take action with this mechanic moving forward.

scatmansworld.png

1602811521434.png

1602811493569.png

I would've posted more metagame observations and set roasting at this point, but because I got strapped for time, this is what I have made so far. I might make more of these soon if I have the willpower to pull it off, not to mention showcasing one of the teams - paste to be revealed soon - that has gotten me to the top of the Camomons ladder under the name rillaboom boom pow!

Looking forward to seeing more things that catch your attention! Stay tuned for more of my content soon!

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Crown Tundra DLC: Initial Bans, Unbans, and Watchlist Announcement
Initial Banlist:
Pokemon: :dialga::giratina::groudon::ho-oh::kyogre::lugia::palkia::rayquaza::xerneas::yveltal:
Abilities: Power Construct
We have opted to keep the initial banlist light given the amount of unknowns we have with most Pokemon, as well as the council wanting to take the first day or two to playtest with just about everything beyond the obvious bans.
Unbans:
:dracovish::heracross::hydreigon::kyurem::melmetal::zeraora:
On tone with wanting to take this opportunity to playtest as much as possible, we have opted to unban the listed Pokemon, though it should be noted that these Pokemon are being especially carefully watched as they return to the metagame. More on this below.
Watchlist:
We have split up the watchlist into 3 sections based on the expected outcomes of whether these Pokemon are likely to remain in the tier and for how long. These are listed within their tiers in alphabetical order.
Tier 1:
:ss/dragonite::ss/genesect::ss/hydreigon::ss/kartana::ss/naganadel::ss/pheromosa: + Calyrex's fusions
Dragonite: Dragonite was a force to behold last gen, and while it still has access to the Choice Band Extreme Speed sets that were largely used, it did lose access to some of the Z-move sets it utilized to push it over the edge last generation. However, Dragonite did gain access to Heavy-Duty Boots, as well as most likely getting a more reliable Flying-type STAB attack in Dual Wingbeat. While this will likely be a very early ban, it's going to be interesting to retest for however short of a time.
Genesect: Probably the most outright broken on this list in my opinion, Genesect has multiple sets that will certainly push it over the edge thanks to its superb coverage and access to Extreme Speed. Choice Band sets that utilize Extreme Speed as well as Choice Specs sets that utilize Techno Blast are both going to be nearly impossible to manage when paired while also accounting for its coverage options, so I have no doubt in my mind this will be in the first batch of quickbans.
Hydreigon: Hydreigon was an absolute menace the first time it was banned, and while it does face some competition from Latias and Latios now, its superb coverage and access to Nasty Plot will likely still put it over the edge. This is the unban that the council has the closest eye on.
Kartana: The removal of Return and Frustration this generation means that Kartana has lost its only reliable Normal STAB options, though Kartana still has plenty of other coverage options like Knock Off, Sacred Sword, Leaf Blade etc. Kartana's insane breaking power from its high Attack stat will likely be too much and it'd be surprising to see it last very long in this metagame.
Naganadel: Naganadel has a great speed tier and coverage, and with a high SpA stat coupled with Nasty Plot and Beast Boost, will likely be able to snowball on teams too easily. I personally do not feel as strongly about Naganadel as anything else in Tier 1, but I think that playtests will probably bring me around.
Pheromosa: Pheromosa is going to be a very strong breaker with both Choice Band and Choice Specs sets and with its speed tier that naturally outpaces the entire unboosted metagame. Despite it having incredibly strong breaking capabilities with typings like Ice/Fighting, it does lack many coverage options so it's likely that at minimum Pheromosa is going to force Pokemon like Poison/Water Latias and Toxapex on teams as well as some Ghost/Steel and Ghost/Water Pokemon, though it is more likely that it will be banned early.
Calyrex fusions: Based on rumors these fusions will likely be stronger than many of the cover legends we have on the initial banlist, but until we have more information on these Pokemon, it won't be included on any banlist.
Tier 2:
:ss/Dracovish::ss/Heracross::ss/Kyurem::ss/Landorus::ss/Tapu Lele::ss/Tornadus-Therian: + newly introduced Pokemon
Dracovish: Dracovish was something that the council was mixed on wanting to unban, but with how closely the original suspect went for it, it seemed in the best interest for us to unban it for now. Dracovish is still most likely a very strong breaker, but the return of defensive powerhouses like Buzzwole and Salamence will allow for more flexibility in defensive counterplay for it, while the reintroduction of many offensive threats makes the Choice Band set harder to run. Regardless, Dracovish very well may still be too strong for the tier, so we will assuredly keep a close eye when reassessing its place in the DLC2 metagame.
Heracross: Similarly to Dracovish, Heracross is also still likely a very strong breaker, though Heracross arguably has more centralized counterplay. The aforementioned Pokemon along with Cresselia can potentially check it in a pinch. Similarly to Dracovish, we will definitely have more discussion on Heracross in the coming weeks, but neither of the two stick out as first week bans.
Kyurem: Kyurem's Dragon Dance sets are most likely going to get worse in the metagame with the average speed tier of the metagame rising with the reintroduction of strong attackers like Tapu Koko and Latios/Latias, so it could potentially become more manageable than it was in the past. However, it's important for us to still keep an eye out for Kyurem as it stayed under the radar earlier in the generation before coming out of nowhere as a broken threat.
Landorus: Landorus is an interesting case of something that sounds absolutely broken on paper due to Sheer Force, but in reality it lacks the coverage to really handle a large portion of the metagame. Steel/Flying types in general absolutely shut down most of its sets, as well as the majority of Levitate Pokemon like Cresselia and Latias. It'll be interesting to see if this Pokemon is manageable or not, as it's something we've never had the opportunity to playtest before.
Tapu Lele: Tapu Lele was one of the strongest breakers in the Camomons metagame last generation, and although there was a Psychic Surge nerf this generation, leaks have shown Tapu Lele is supposed to get Expanding Force with this update. It goes without saying that if Tapu Lele gets Expanding Force, its breaking capabilities will be even greater, and it's certainly possible it will get pushed over the edge. Once the DLC is actually released, we should have a more solid understanding of how Tapu Lele will potentially impact the metagame, but either way it will certainly be a very strong attacker.
Tornadus-Therian: Another question mark that depends on whether move tutor datamines are true or not. If Tornadus-Therian does get Nasty Plot, it will undoubtedly be too much to handle and will end up banned. However, on the off-chance that it doesn't get Nasty Plot, it will be a very welcome addition to the metagame.
Newly introduced Pokemon: Similarly to Calyrex's fusions, we don't know enough information on things like the two horses or Calyrex itself to really say how balanced they might be, but any new addition to the game is bound to be looked at closely. Additionally the Galarian Bird Trio and new Regis are all most likely going to have a strong impact on the meta, and Zapdos-Galar in particular sounds broken from what info we have so far.
Tier 3:
:ss/Blaziken::ss/Latios::ss/Melmetal::ss/Tapu Koko::ss/Zygarde:
Blaziken: Blaziken is an interesting case of something that we've never had the opportunity to test before due to past gens' banlists being connected to OU. Blaziken may very well be a busted sweeper, but it's hard to say without any prior knowledge of it. From theorymonning it does seem to have a bit of 4MSS, but in actual playtests it may pan out differently. This is certainly the Pokemon on the list I'm most interested in taking a look at with this update.
Latios: Another potent breaker in the last generation, Latios has some big buffs this generation. With the absence of Mega Evolution and Z Moves, Trick is incredibly potent in Camomons and Latios will surely be one of the stronger abusers for this move while still having access to Bolt/Beam and potentially some new coverage options with Mystical Fire and Aura Sphere, which allow for FWG and Ghost/Fighting coverage respectively. This guy has a lot of great options this generation so it will be interesting to see how Latios performs in this meta.
Melmetal: Melmetal was a ban that we didn't really have enough play time with to really get the best judgment on it, so this update will be a great opportunity to do so. Melmetal will most likely be fine due to its poor speed tier and fraility on the special side, but it will remain a very strong physical attacker regardless.
Tapu Koko: Tapu Koko already saw a lot of usage around the end of USUM Camomons. It has access to some great typings like Electric/Grass, Steel/Flying and Electric Terrain was a massive boon to fellow Electric-type abusers like Porygon-Z or Latios. All of those things are still true for Tapu Koko in this generation with the major addition of Rising Voltage to its moveset. Having a 140 Base Power STAB move is going to make Tapu Koko a lot stronger, but the abundance of Levitate Pokemon may leave it worse off in some matchups.
Zygarde: One of the better Extreme Speed users in the previous generation, Zygarde’s niche over fellow Extreme Speed abusers like Dragonite, Genesect, and Entei (Although Dragonite and Genesect are likely to be banned early on) is its signature move Thousand Arrows which ruins common Ground resists like Steel/Flying and Levitate Pokemon. Its Choice Band set was powerful, had secondary status options like Toxic and Glare to cripple bulky physical walls, and generally had everything it needed to succeed. Although the Band set was by far the most common, Zygarde had a lot of unexplored versatility that was beginning to show such as Poison/Dark Coil sets, Dragon Dance Poison/Dragon with Thousand Arrows as coverage, and many more. It is possible that the adjustments to the meta this generation could fall in favor of Zygarde particularly if Dragonite and Genesect get banned early.

This is a lot of information to take in, but we are certainly excited to see how the Crown Tundra DLC impacts the Camomons metagame, and hope that you all are as excited as we are! Expect more updates from us within the coming days as the update gets released and added to PS!
Kris The Immortal for whenever you would like to implement this
Ruleset:
Obtainable, Species Clause, Nickname Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Moves Clause, Team Preview, HP Percentage Mod, Cancel Mod, Dynamax Clause, Sleep Clause Mod, Endless Battle Clause
Bans:
Pokemon: Darmanitan-Galar, Dialga, Eternatus, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lugia, Lunala, Marshadow, Mewtwo, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shedinja, Solgaleo, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zacian, Zamazenta, Zekrom. Abilities: Arena Trap, Moody, Power Construct, Shadow Tag Moves: Baton Pass

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)