Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hello there. I was wondering, did you guys ever think about doing a "Ruins of Alph" CAP ? That is, create a Pokemon for an old generation (for example : designing a strong answer to GSC Snorlax)?

Sorry if I've missed an obvious answer to this question, thanks for your time !
We build for the current generation and the current state of the CAP metagame.

Cap Art Related questions...
Hello, here are my questions
--------------------------------
1. If I submit Cap Art, can I participate in any other discussions (for example STATS and Ability discussions) or is it considered tampering (to make your design fit all of the criteria)???
2. Let's say if my design wins, can I participate in the pre-evo designs ???

Whoever sees/replies this, thank you!

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Cap Art Related questions...
Hello, here are my questions
--------------------------------
1. If I submit Cap Art, can I participate in any other discussions (for example STATS and Ability discussions) or is it considered tampering (to make your design fit all of the criteria)???
2. Let's say if my design wins, can I participate in the pre-evo designs ???

Whoever sees/replies this, thank you!
1. Yes, you can. The discussion are open to whoever wants to join, either you an artist or not.

2. Yes, you can too. You just can't submit a full evolutionary line at once or state something like "I see this as an one/two/three stages line" in the art thread.

Would it be crazy to submit a regional evolution as a concept?
That brings into question what would ever happen if a regional variation was canonically made. Given that there is little theme between Regional forms (Alolan Ninetales vs Regional Raticate have no similarity to 'codify' the changes), I'm not sure what you'd use for the Concept, without being extremely proscriptive from the outset of concept.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Would it be crazy to submit a regional evolution as a concept?
CAP concepts explore competitive ideas. For example, CAP28's concept is about hindering pivoting strategies, CAP27 (Astrolotl) is about providing offensive support to teams, and CAP26 (Equilibra) was about making a Pokemon that can use Doom Desire well. Also, CAP has historically made Pokemon from scratch.

While this probably wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, let me know if you have anymore questions :)

That brings into question what would ever happen if a regional variation was canonically made
This wouldn't be a problem if we were to make a regional form for a CAP such as Galarian Arghonaut or Alolan Voodoom.

Either way, this would probably be better suited for a Celebration CAP's framework, such as how CAP 25's framework was to make a starter trio, which was then given its concept later on.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
where can you properly use the pokemon that say CAP LC
I’m pretty sure the CAP LC tier was put on hold for updates to the LC CAPmons, but it will probably come back eventually. I’m not 100% sure but I think that CAP LC may be on some other servers, just not the main one.

About how long does it usually take between the completion of one CAP process and the beginning of another? I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I'd just like to know.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
About how long does it usually take between the completion of one CAP process and the beginning of another? I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I'd just like to know.
Time usually varies, but normally it's about a few months between each one. Our best times allowed us to get in a few CAPS a year.

This generation is a bit trickier though, since DLC shifting up the meta means that we can't properly start one until the meta settles down. It's hard to pinpoint when exactly we'll start another one, and I wouldn't doubt that it would be delayed until next year.

Last edited:
Why was cap started?
I think some people wanted to make a Smogon community fakemon that they then thought to send to Game Freak so that GF would add it to a game.
The competitive aspect was there to some degree, but it took some caps to actually crystallize into the form it has now.

Hey, I was wondering, will the guides and references regarding restricted moves, and the spreadsheets which serve as guides to creating CAP moveset ever be updated to include Gens 7 and 8? I find these tools incredibly useful and I find it sad that they're mostly all stuck updated to gen 6.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Hey, I was wondering, will the guides and references regarding restricted moves, and the spreadsheets which serve as guides to creating CAP moveset ever be updated to include Gens 7 and 8? I find these tools incredibly useful and I find it sad that they're mostly all stuck updated to gen 6.
To my limited knowledge there have been no efforts at the moment to update that resource. Some of us may eventually get to updating it, but the changes to moves between generations make it a large deal to fix.

To my limited knowledge there have been no efforts at the moment to update that resource. Some of us may eventually get to updating it, but the changes to moves between generations make it a large deal to fix.
Is there any way I can contribute to this? I was going to compile some movepool databases for gen 8 to help people make Pokemon fangames with fakemon in them, and I figured the information I gather could be useful to update these resources in the future.

so the CAP page on the smogon site uh, goes up to kerfluffle from gen 6. sorry if this has been asked to death, but is that ever getting updated?

Sunfished

fisch
so the CAP page on the smogon site uh, goes up to kerfluffle from gen 6. sorry if this has been asked to death, but is that ever getting updated?
The weird answer is yes and no. The subsite requires a huge facelift because of how it was made, which means someone needs to go in and redo the entirety of the subsite, (which possibly means we'll need to move the subsite). Some of us may have touched on this a while back, but as of now I believe none of us have made much headway into making a new subsite. It's much more difficult than it sounds, trust me lol

When submitting concepts, would a concept for a mon intended to work in both a CAP Meta and say a nominal other meta, say Doubles, or Monotype be acceptable?

And I guess this is a bit more hypothetical given there is no such mechanic in Gen 8 (that I know of, I've honestly not played since before DLC 2), but what about if there was a non-traditional style of battling that served as the direction - i.e, one that would be intended to make the best use in battles of contest move combinations - obviously outdated due to no Contests.

I have a feeling that the answer is "No, save it for flavour discussions/speciality CAPS" should those ever be done again, but thought it best to ask :)

Thanks

Sunfished

fisch
When submitting concepts, would a concept for a mon intended to work in both a CAP Meta and say a nominal other meta, say Doubles, or Monotype be acceptable?

And I guess this is a bit more hypothetical given there is no such mechanic in Gen 8 (that I know of, I've honestly not played since before DLC 2), but what about if there was a non-traditional style of battling that served as the direction - i.e, one that would be intended to make the best use in battles of contest move combinations - obviously outdated due to no Contests.

I have a feeling that the answer is "No, save it for flavour discussions/speciality CAPS" should those ever be done again, but thought it best to ask :)

Thanks
The answer is a no to both. We create mons to learn about things in the specified meta, which both of your suggestions do not fulfill correctly.

They're fun ideas for sure, however.

Why are we currently prioritizing 3-D models of newer CAPs over older ones?
Because when we have a new project on our hands, we'd prefer to bring all of our resources to bear fleshing it out. In the case of the 3D models, that is a matter of presentation. Each new CAPmon is a big deal, and coordinating with the modeling team as we near the release date helps the project make an impression upon arrival.

Conversely, the older projects have already had their heyday. While 3D models for Syclant et al. would be rad, we don't have the manpower to make it happen when modern projects warrant the attention. It's more important that we generate hype for the next attraction than polish our backlist of yesterday's hits. It also comes down to the preference of the modelers themselves, who volunteer their talent freely.

Does this add up?

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Will there ever be a Doubles CAP format available on Showdown?
Just want to clarify something, there is a project rn to revive CAP Doubles and other "off-shoots" of CAP (link to the thread: Resource - CAP Old Gens and OMs | Smogon Forums ). It is true that this resource hasn't been updated in a while and the community hasn't been very active with it in general, but if you're interested, you can definitely contribute to it! I know that a lot of the folks on the CAP Discord or PS! room are willing to play games in these formats or just help you out in general, and contribution towards it is very much valued. I'd recommend getting in contact with one of the hosts of the thread for more info :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)