Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I saw Xurkitree on the Viability List - what sets are most common on it? Considering Tail Glow was removed, I was kind of surprised to see it there.
I think the main set is scarf, which patches up its mediocre speed and provides a nice albeit slower alternative to Regieleki with better coverage. Specs or CM could possibly work, but it's a bit slow to pull either off very effectively, unless you're facing a hard stall team.

How does the species clause apply to regional variants? I assume you can't run galrian and kantonian zapdos on the same team, but it would be nice to clarify.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
If pokemon get banned or drop from a certain tier, when exactly does it happen? Is there a specific date /time for this or does it just happen after maybe a few weeks has passed?

If pokemon get banned or drop from a certain tier, when exactly does it happen? Is there a specific date /time for this or does it just happen after maybe a few weeks has passed?
Drops happen on a monthly basis; during early periods after a DLC drops, this process is accelerated: drops and rises will happen based on the last 9 days of October, aka when Crown Tundra dropped, and once more on the 15th of November. Then we will return to monthly drops. Bans can happen at any time.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is there any reason why Salamence isn’t on the vr list? It’s not top tier or anything but the thread for its sets show that it can be used for many things, like set up sweeper or wish defogger. It can even be used on rain
The OverUsed Viability List is rather a rough List for people to see what is viable and what not, and as Finchinator stated there changes towards that list will be very likely in the future. So I would say stay tuned for the list and the changes happening there in the future. In other Viability Lists there where also Pokemon missing, which where in the end viable in their respective tier. so that list may not be detailed yet.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How much speed should I be running on banded Melmetal? I feel like Bold Clefable is the most notable benchmark but maybe I'm forgetting something
There isn't really an objectively good EV spread you can go on Melmetal, its mainly personal preference. Personally I run 12 speed EVs in order to speed creep Toxapex, since Melmetal almost always wins against Clefable regardless of EVs. Again, there's no objective line when it comes to EV spreads, especially right now when the metagame hasn't completely developed.

There isn't really an objectively good EV spread you can go on Melmetal, its mainly personal preference. Personally I run 12 speed EVs in order to speed creep Toxapex, since Melmetal almost always wins against Clefable regardless of EVs. Again, there's no objective line when it comes to EV spreads, especially right now when the metagame hasn't completely developed.
It's not necessarily about just beating Clefable, it's about not having to take a knock off or twave ya know? 167 speed required full investment but outspeeds 0 speed pelliper by a point.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
How much speed should I be running on banded Melmetal? I feel like Bold Clefable is the most notable benchmark but maybe I'm forgetting something
This thread is your best friend when it comes to speed and EV's: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/crown-tundra-speed-tiers.3672175/

One thing it does not include however, is speed tiers for paralyzed pokemon. For example, a paralyzed max speed garchomp hits 166 speed, which means that a 252 speed Melmetal, which hits 167 speed, would outspeed it. If your team uses paralysis, then you could adjust your spreads to take advantage of that. Otherwise, I would say you could probably aim to outspeed one or more of the following:

- Tyranitar (158)
- Clefable (156)
- Celesteela (142)
- Swampert (140)
- Hippowdon (130)
- Tangrowth (122)
Is there a 'rate my team thread' or something like that? I want to get into team building and would really appreciate some advice on my team.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/ss-ou-teams.545/

I'm trying to learn to be good at not just playing HO. In this effort, I really want to integrate wish and heal bell on a team with some real offensive presence. Should I stuff both moves onto Clef or am I better served splitting them up?

I've been fooling around with Sun a bit, and while I've been using Cresselia as a second Sun setter and Lunar Dance supporter...it's Cresselia.

What are some other Sun supports y'all like to use?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Question about the rmt sections. According to the rules, you can only post one team per two weeks. Does this apply to all sections (past gens and ss) teams at the same time? Like for example, if I post an rmt in the ss teams, do I have to wait for two weeks before I can post in the past gen teams or is the two week limit only specific to each generation?

Question about the rmt sections. According to the rules, you can only post one team per two weeks. Does this apply to all sections (past gens and ss) teams at the same time? Like for example, if I post an rmt in the ss teams, do I have to wait for two weeks before I can post in the past gen teams or is the two week limit only specific to each generation?
While this is more a question more suited for the RMT thread, it applies forum-wide. You can post an SS-OU team and you'd have to wait 2 weeks before posting a lower-tier or past gens team in order for it to not get locked (if you follow the other rules anyways, which you can find here).

Katy

Banned deucer.
I've been fooling around with Sun a bit, and while I've been using Cresselia as a second Sun setter and Lunar Dance supporter...it's Cresselia.

What are some other Sun supports y'all like to use?
Hi,

sadly there arent much sun-setters to begin with, there is Torkoal which worked pretty good pre-DLC2 alongside Venusaur, Charizard, Hatterene, and Blissey, occosionally Cinderace, when it was allowed in OU. Volcarona where also an option on sun oriented teams.

There is also Ninetales, but Ninetales lacks the utility and defensive presence Torkoal gives to teams. Ninetales has the one advantage, that it is more offensive than Torkoal is with a Nasty Plot + 3 Attacks-Set, or a Nasty plot + 2 Attacks + Toxic / Will-O-Wisp-Set.

Cresselia as a secondary Sun-Setter with Sunny Day could be considered, it is by any means not the worst option. If you want a secondary automatic Sun-Setter you could consider Ninetales alongside Torkoal, as it gives you an offensive Auto-Sun-Setter.

But once again, Ninetales lacks the utility, defensive power, and it needs a Nasty Plot-boost to work solid, and currently a lot of Pokemon will give Ninetales a lot of trouble, as there many faster threats and a lot of priority like Extreme Speed-Zygarde.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to learn to be good at not just playing HO. In this effort, I really want to integrate wish and heal bell on a team with some real offensive presence. Should I stuff both moves onto Clef or am I better served splitting them up?
Clefable cannot really fit both moves on the same slot at all unfortunately unless its stall. Reason being that with Knock Off and Thunder Wave as support moves, Clefable becomes less passive because they significantly limit the Pokemon that can switch into it without losing speed or even worse, an item. With Wish + Heal Bell on the same set, it becomes more of a momentum suck if anything because it easily lets in offensive pressure from stuff like Melmetal and Landorus-I incredibly easily. Going one of the two moves is your best option in my opinion.

I always wonder why Future Sight is a viable move since two or three generation lately, why is that?
Two factors contribute to this I would say. The first is the series of buffs Future Sight received over the generations. As of Gen 6 and onward it has 120 BP and 100 Acc, but before then it had much lower power and even less than perfect accuracy (see Bulbapedia entry for more info). The second would be that the Teleport changes allow for certain Future Sight users to set up the attack and safely pivot out with negative priority, a HUGE advantage over simply switching out and something that they could not do in previous generations (think Slowbro and Slowking).

There could be more to it than that but those are the two main things that I think of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)