Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Wasn't around much in previous gens, so can someone briefly let me know why Genesect was considered such a threat and what its niche was?

Wasn't around much in previous gens, so can someone briefly let me know why Genesect was considered such a threat and what its niche was?
Well you see there’s a few things. First of all-those stats. Its bulk is fine but that’s not the strength behind the mon. Those mixed offenses are fantastic and make Genesect super unpredictable. Then we have Download-it boosts Genesect’s offenses based on what it’s up against, so it will always be a major threat against whatever it’s facing given the right move. And that brings me to the next point- Genesect has a massive, unpredictable, incredible movepool. Scarf sets can conceivably run almost any move, and STAB U-turn lets it abuse its powerful attack and good speed to generate easy, constant momentum. The typing is pretty good and lets it get STAB on U-turn, while also letting it constantly come in-it can take a hit if it really needs to, and its endless versatility let it do whatever it wants-mixed E-belt/LO, Scarf, Band, Specs, Drives, HDB, with all sorts of versatile coverage to make it nigh unwallable. Not to mention Shift Gear! One of the best boosting moves in the game to boot. Have a Scarf answer? Either it U-turns out and brings in something that kills your answer, or it isn’t Scarf at all and kills your mon on the spot. The only advocates for it staying are the awkward speed, lack of STAB for good offensive types like Fire and instead those types being relegated to coverage, and the fact that none of the sets are completely busted on their own-the teammates and other surprises Genesect can have are really what makes it such a threat. Also, don’t just take my word here as law, there are better and more experienced players that are also way more informed, this is just my understanding.

Is there a way to use steelroller (the tutored steel move from Isle of armor that removes terrain and does lotsa damage, but fail if there's no terrain) reliably and efficiently, or is this only a "garbage" move ? On paper it seems like a good way to shut your opponents expanding force and stuff like that, but i've never seen it used at all.

Is there any convenient place to see the most used sets for specific pokemon? Like I played against a Kommo-o that ran sub belly drum salac and i'm just trying to find out the spread for it?

Is there a way to use steelroller (the tutored steel move from Isle of armor that removes terrain and does lotsa damage, but fail if there's no terrain) reliably and efficiently, or is this only a "garbage" move ? On paper it seems like a good way to shut your opponents expanding force and stuff like that, but i've never seen it used at all.
I've seen a pretty interesting Team from elo Bandit, which uses Steel Roller on Choice Banded Azumarill. I will link it here.
Also I've made a slightly different Version of the Team which is a little more meta, feel free to contact me if you want me to send it to you.

Is there any convenient place to see the most used sets for specific pokemon? Like I played against a Kommo-o that ran sub belly drum salac and i'm just trying to find out the spread for it?
There is a seperate website called Pikalytics that has usage stats that update every month and also usage of ev spreads and moves for specific pokemon

Also for your specific example, they probably used the belly drum set from last gen:

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Last edited:
Hey I was just wondering whether Glastrier and Spectrier are starting in ou.
They both look rlly damn good but Spectrier just seems obnoxious. 145/130 offenses with snowball potential on top of the fantastic Stab. As if that wasn't enough it also gets fricking nasty plot

Glastrier has better bulk but is considerably slower with just 30 speed so it seems to just be ice melmetal with better SpD. Does get SD but I doubt it will make good use of grim neigh cos of how easily revenge killed

Spyro

Banned deucer.
They both look rlly damn good but Spectrier just seems obnoxious. 145/130 offenses with snowball potential on top of the fantastic Stab. As if that wasn't enough it also gets fricking nasty plot

Glastrier has better bulk but is considerably slower with just 30 speed so it seems to just be ice melmetal with better SpD. Does get SD but I doubt it will make good use of grim neigh cos of how easily revenge killed
Yes but not the fusions with Calyrex. If I'm being honest I don't think Spectrier will stay in OU for long.

Their stats and abilities are very good, but both they both have major shortcomings. Glastrier's speed is very low, and its Ice typing sabotages its bulk. As for Spectrier, its coverage is complete ass, somehow being even worse than Regieleki.

When will the next Tier Change take place? Since all of the new Pokemon that are in CT are in OU, some might not be OU level, so when will the next Tier Change be?

What are people bringing as checks to Genesect and the new horse mons? I feel like offense is the only viable playstyle rn, can't really tell if it is worth bringing bulkier mons as they just get immediately one shot

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What are people bringing as checks to Genesect and the new horse mons? I feel like offense is the only viable playstyle rn, can't really tell if it is worth bringing bulkier mons as they just get immediately one shot
Fire types such as Heatran, Blacephalon, Volcarona, and Moltres are going to be your best bet. The most dangeorus thing about Genesect is that its so unpredictable, so scouting its set and acting accordingly is key.

Is there any possibility of a suspect for the fused ice horse down the road?
I highly doubt it. With all the broken shit running around right now, we do not need another 680 BST behemoth in the tier. Calyrex-I may have a bad typing and poor speed, but its ludicrous power and good bulk would be too much for OU to handle.

The way we're going to fix the meta should be to ban the broken shit (Genesect, Naganadel, Lando-I, Kyurem-B), not letting even more Ubers into the tier.

I really don't understand why genesect, zygarde and lando-i all got unbanned when they were deemed problematic in past gens and cos of dexislt even Less stuff deals with it.
DLC was already to be an unhealthy meta for a few months why add pokemon that almost everybody agrees are dumb broken

I really don't understand why genesect, zygarde and lando-i all got unbanned when they were deemed problematic in past gens and cos of dexislt even Less stuff deals with it.
DLC was already to be an unhealthy meta for a few months why add pokemon that almost everybody agrees are dumb broken
I can’t speak for anyone, but since the metagame is vastly different from gen 7 and pre crown tundra, I would’ve just unbanned them for fun and let the playerbase enjoy using them in the new generation for a few days before they go. I can assure you that a few of these are very likely to be quickbanned and have a solid chance to go before the beginning of November. Still, the lack of z moves and hidden power means we have no idea how they’ll perform and it’s best to just try them out, see they are broken, quickban them, and move on

Finchinator

You’re so golden
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
This is done whenever new Pokemon are introduced in such great number. If we free 15 Pokemon and 14 of them end up broken, but there is 1 new addition that would otherwise be overlooked, it is still more than worthwhile. You cannot be upset at people for doing their due diligence.

For more on my personal reasoning (do note: I am just one member on council, not the collective), feel free to check out this post here.

Finchinator

You’re so golden
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
Finchinator As someone who started competitive in gen 8 this has honestly been my funniest time playing on showdown. Its a blast to teambuild and ladder has never been more fun. I say this because i heard blunder say maybe gen 8 would be better if it was a tier that was somewhere between ubers and OU. I know the council is looking at what mons could be considered to be quick banned then suspect tested but in my opinion i think maybe some broken mons could make the tier better.
First off, welcome to the forums and thanks for the nice message! It's always great to hear about people's experiences and I am glad you have enjoyed.

Making new tiers and formats is not ultimately up to me; I am just a member of the OU Council and the OU moderation team. Ultimately, decisions like these would be in the hands of the tiering administrators. My job is simply to maintain the OU metagame. However, I can provide some insight in to why this likely would not happen -- I just want to note that it is only my opinion and not the one of the people making these decisions.

In my opinion, creating a tier between OU and Ubers will just end up like current OU and then current OU will just end up like UU and so-on. It may take a few months to settle that way, but simply adding another tier will not actually change anything. It's an artificial solution and there would be no reason for it in the long haul.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)