Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Hey I was just wondering whether Glastrier and Spectrier are starting in ou.
They both look rlly damn good but Spectrier just seems obnoxious. 145/130 offenses with snowball potential on top of the fantastic Stab. As if that wasn't enough it also gets fricking nasty plot

Glastrier has better bulk but is considerably slower with just 30 speed so it seems to just be ice melmetal with better SpD. Does get SD but I doubt it will make good use of grim neigh cos of how easily revenge killed
Their stats and abilities are very good, but both they both have major shortcomings. Glastrier's speed is very low, and its Ice typing sabotages its bulk. As for Spectrier, its coverage is complete ass, somehow being even worse than Regieleki.

When will the next Tier Change take place? Since all of the new Pokemon that are in CT are in OU, some might not be OU level, so when will the next Tier Change be?

What are people bringing as checks to Genesect and the new horse mons? I feel like offense is the only viable playstyle rn, can't really tell if it is worth bringing bulkier mons as they just get immediately one shot

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What are people bringing as checks to Genesect and the new horse mons? I feel like offense is the only viable playstyle rn, can't really tell if it is worth bringing bulkier mons as they just get immediately one shot
Fire types such as Heatran, Blacephalon, Volcarona, and Moltres are going to be your best bet. The most dangeorus thing about Genesect is that its so unpredictable, so scouting its set and acting accordingly is key.

Is there any possibility of a suspect for the fused ice horse down the road?
I highly doubt it. With all the broken shit running around right now, we do not need another 680 BST behemoth in the tier. Calyrex-I may have a bad typing and poor speed, but its ludicrous power and good bulk would be too much for OU to handle.

The way we're going to fix the meta should be to ban the broken shit (Genesect, Naganadel, Lando-I, Kyurem-B), not letting even more Ubers into the tier.

I really don't understand why genesect, zygarde and lando-i all got unbanned when they were deemed problematic in past gens and cos of dexislt even Less stuff deals with it.
DLC was already to be an unhealthy meta for a few months why add pokemon that almost everybody agrees are dumb broken

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I really don't understand why genesect, zygarde and lando-i all got unbanned when they were deemed problematic in past gens and cos of dexislt even Less stuff deals with it.
DLC was already to be an unhealthy meta for a few months why add pokemon that almost everybody agrees are dumb broken
This is done whenever new Pokemon are introduced in such great number. If we free 15 Pokemon and 14 of them end up broken, but there is 1 new addition that would otherwise be overlooked, it is still more than worthwhile. You cannot be upset at people for doing their due diligence.

For more on my personal reasoning (do note: I am just one member on council, not the collective), feel free to check out this post here.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Finchinator As someone who started competitive in gen 8 this has honestly been my funniest time playing on showdown. Its a blast to teambuild and ladder has never been more fun. I say this because i heard blunder say maybe gen 8 would be better if it was a tier that was somewhere between ubers and OU. I know the council is looking at what mons could be considered to be quick banned then suspect tested but in my opinion i think maybe some broken mons could make the tier better.
First off, welcome to the forums and thanks for the nice message! It's always great to hear about people's experiences and I am glad you have enjoyed.

Making new tiers and formats is not ultimately up to me; I am just a member of the OU Council and the OU moderation team. Ultimately, decisions like these would be in the hands of the tiering administrators. My job is simply to maintain the OU metagame. However, I can provide some insight in to why this likely would not happen -- I just want to note that it is only my opinion and not the one of the people making these decisions.

In my opinion, creating a tier between OU and Ubers will just end up like current OU and then current OU will just end up like UU and so-on. It may take a few months to settle that way, but simply adding another tier will not actually change anything. It's an artificial solution and there would be no reason for it in the long haul.

do you think there are still pokémon not available in 8G who might be solid OU or is it ok to assume that the tier is now mostly closed ?

do you think there are still pokémon not available in 8G who might be solid OU or is it ok to assume that the tier is now mostly closed ?
A few notable mons are still missing, that could conceivably be OU if they were available in SwSh.
-Greninja (and Ash-Greninja)
-Serperior
-Gliscor
-Darkrai
-Deoxys (and its other forms)
-Manaphy
-Mega Evolutions

And several that likely wouldn’t be OU but could be UU or UUBL:
-Infernape
-Staraptor
-Empoleon
-Feraligatr
-Alolan Muk
-Breloom
-Alomomola
-Florges
-The remaining absent starter Pokémon
-Eelektross
-Again, Mega Evolutions.

And lastly, Arceus.

So the metagame is quite distinct from NatDex or Gen 7 OU as a result.

Unsure if this is the best place to ask, but how does EVs on Calyrex work when unfusing?

For example: Suppose I have a Calyrex-S, fused with Spectrier. Modest nature. I've EVd them 4hp/252spa/252spe.
When I unfuse, how does this affect the nature and EVs of both Calyrex and Spectrier?

Not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone know why the tapus movepools haven't been completely updated yet? Shouldn't they all get their respective terrain moves as well as some other things such as flip turn on fini, CC on koko, play rough on bulu and koko, and grassy glide on bulu?

Not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone know why the tapus movepools haven't been completely updated yet? Shouldn't they all get their respective terrain moves as well as some other things such as flip turn on fini, CC on koko, play rough on bulu and koko, and grassy glide on bulu?
They can't learn those moves in the final.

Not sure if this has already been addressed/asked, but at any rate:

What's the deal with the Urshifu "illusion" in Showdown? Every time I face one, I can't tell if it's dead or not because 1. I have a bad memory, and 2. the engine says it may be alive at "100% health" because of "illusion"??? Am I missing something here? And no there's no Zoroark on the team.

What's the deal with the Urshifu "illusion" in Showdown? Every time I face one, I can't tell if it's dead or not because 1. I have a bad memory, and 2. the engine says it may be alive at "100% health" because of "illusion"??? Am I missing something here? And no there's no Zoroark on the team.
I don't know the reason for this, but yeah, I second the question because it also always happens to me.

Urshifu is somewhat unique in that its forms are indistinguishable in team preview. The stuff with illusion is Showdown desperately trying to avoid leaking information that would not be available on cart.

Considering Silvally and Arceus also have indistinguishable forms and don't cause any issues, I have no idea why Urshifu hasn't been fixed yet. But that's the reason why it's weird.

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor
I saw Xurkitree on the Viability List - what sets are most common on it? Considering Tail Glow was removed, I was kind of surprised to see it there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)