Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is there anyway to express support for something in PR besides liking a post? I want to run a regional + original form on the same team
:psycry:
Not sure about you’re actual question, but the reason you can’t do that is because you can’t on cartridge I’m pretty sure. The Pokémon have the same Pokédex number between forms if I’m not mistaken, thus it falls under dupes. It’s the same idea as not being able to use different rotom forms, or Shaymin and Skymin. Maybe I’m completely wrong but I think this is why

Katy

See everyone with your own eyes!
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
Is the SubToxic set still viable with Aegislash? What are some other hot sets being run with aegislash?
The SubTox-Set is still a viable option. Another great set which got used a decent amount recently is the mixed Choice Scarf-Set. Choice Band and Choice Specs are also still viable options. And there is also the Set with Air Ballon and Swords Dance. I think Aegislash has plenty of viable sets and no set is particular useless at all.

Why isn't starmie seen much in OU? I could understand if its because of dragapult and zeroara, but it hits pretty hard with an analytic specs hydro, and can cripple switches like ferrothron with trick.

Katy

Why isn't starmie seen much in OU? I could understand if its because of dragapult and zeroara, but it hits pretty hard with an analytic specs hydro, and can cripple switches like ferrothron with trick.
Starmie isnt seen much because of faster threats like Dragapult and Zeraora. Rillaboom and Kyurems thrive in usage doesnt mean anything good for Starmie aswell and as far as it goes, defensive Waters like Toxapex are way more useful as they have a better defensive typing and stats, and it can check Urshifu (both versions) pretty well, whereas for offensive waters, Primarina and Crawdaunt offer a better offensive capability to break through teams while being weak to less threats to begin with. Primarina excells super as a Sub+CM-Sweeper, and has some reasonable bulk, whereas Crawdaunt hits hard and can Knock things off. Starmie per se isnt a bad pkmn in OU, but the metagame trends more against it than for it, therefore other water-pkmn are getting used instead since they can either check certain things or have a better offensive capability.

Last edited:
For a physical ice attacker, is DD kyurem only good with semi-stall or stall?
I'm wondering if Weavile always outclasses it for balance or offense?

I know Specs Kyu is very good but it's special and I'm asking about physical, and also specs kyurem doesn't have a way to be 'speedy'

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For a physical ice attacker, is DD kyurem only good with semi-stall or stall?
I'm wondering if Weavile always outclasses it for balance or offense?

I know Specs Kyu is very good but it's special and I'm asking about physical, and also specs kyurem doesn't have a way to be 'speedy'
DD Kyurem can fit onto teams apart from stall and semi stall. I don't have much experience with it personally, but I've never known this set to be for stall teams exclusively. Here are some examples of DD Kyurem being used in a recent tournament setting, it might give you some idea for good teammates and what to look out for. Example 1 Example 2 Example 3

No, Weavile doesn't outclass it, they're simply different Pokemon (typing, resistances, movepool etc) that can fill different roles. Another Physical Ice-type to consider is Mamoswine, which has been seeing increased usage recently. If you play to their specific strengths, they won't be outclassed.

Hope this gave some insight :toast:

What does lucario lack to be consistently good in OU ? On paper, he's decently fast, has correct attack stats his bulk is bad but not horrible, and his defensive typing isn't that bad. He gets good priority (bullet punch,extreme speed, vacuum wave...), he has usable stabs (CC/Meteor Mash/focus blast/Flash cannon), correct boosting abilities (Agility/Swords dance/Nasty plot)... Yet he doesn't find a place in OU. What does he truly lacks that is needed?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
What does lucario lack to be consistently good in OU ? On paper, he's decently fast, has correct attack stats his bulk is bad but not horrible, and his defensive typing isn't that bad. He gets good priority (bullet punch,extreme speed, vacuum wave...), he has usable stabs (CC/Meteor Mash/focus blast/Flash cannon), correct boosting abilities (Agility/Swords dance/Nasty plot)... Yet he doesn't find a place in OU. What does he truly lacks that is needed?
While it doesnt exactly "lack" anything (though its Speed could be a lot better), there are simply better Pokemon to fill any role Lucario could be used for. As far as sweepers, OU has access to Rillaboom, Azumarill, Scizor, Hawlucha etc. For Fighting or Steel-types you have Aegislash, Excadrill, Urshifu etc. Same thing if you're looking for a Special Attacker.

This applies to other Pokemon found outside of OU like Haxorus and Conkeldurr. They arent exactly bad Pokemon, just outclassed
:psywoke:

Reuniclus @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Magic Gaurd
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

1: Is this set viable for Gen 8 OU?
2: What Pokemon synergizes well with this moveset?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Reuniclus @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Magic Gaurd
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

1: Is this set viable for Gen 8 OU?
2: What Pokemon synergizes well with this moveset?
Reuniclus can run a multitude of sets, but if I'm being honest I don't think this one is viable. You're probably better off trying Flame Orb or Sticky Barb if you're looking to cripple the opponents with swapping items, its not exactly like Reun benefits much from outspeeding Pokemon, that's not really its purpose in the meta.

If you insist on using this set, I'd pair it with Pokemon that can handle special walls that can take on this set. Answers to Blissey and Tyranitar make for good partners, so Urshifu and Rillaboom would be good.

Here is an analysis that mentions even more teammates for Reuniclus, while also discussing its best set :toast:

Reuniclus can run a multitude of sets, but if I'm being honest I don't think this one is viable. You're probably better off trying Flame Orb or Sticky Barb if you're looking to cripple the opponents with swapping items, its not exactly like Reun benefits much from outspeeding Pokemon, that's not really its purpose in the meta.

If you insist on using this set, I'd pair it with Pokemon that can handle special walls that can take on this set. Answers to Blissey and Tyranitar make for good partners, so Urshifu and Rillaboom would be good.

Here is an analysis that mentions even more teammates for Reuniclus, while also discussing its best set :toast:
Now that I think about it, Reuniclus is better suited to tricking Lagging Tail than most Pokemon. The item doesn't really negatively affect it that much, and outspeeding the opponent is great for a strong Pokemon like Reuniclus. And even if it wasn't able to capitalize on the slower opponent, a team mate could. That said, Thunder Wave is probably superior in this regard. While it probably won't let Reuniclus outspeed much, its reusable nature means you don't need to be a prediction god to cripple a particular threat, and causing your opponent to lose turns to hax is a nice bonus.

Bulk Up Corviknight's usage seems to have dissipated drastically in the last month, likely due to the rise in Magnezone & Defog being increasingly important to counter Spikes. Can this set still work in the current metagame? What kind of team comps can it fit on over Defog Corviknight?

Finchinator

We'll be a fine line
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a former Tournament Circuit Champion
BW Circuit Champion
Bulk Up Corviknight's usage seems to have dissipated drastically in the last month, likely due to the rise in Magnezone & Defog being increasingly important to counter Spikes. Can this set still work in the current metagame? What kind of team comps can it fit on over Defog Corviknight?
Yes, it can. Same type of team, but simply in need of another Defogger and perhaps a check to Pokemon it relies on Body Press to normally check.

Katy

Can this set still work in the current metagame?
That set can still work in the current metagame, however it needs good partners to profit from this set in some way.

What kind of team comps can it fit on over Defog Corviknight?
You need to be able to remove threats like magnezone first, which are one of its enemies, pkmn like gastrodon can help with it and also pkmn like zeraora since it can comfortably switch into its electric-stab and also its steel-stab and it can pivot out again with volt switch itself.
magnezone itself can also help with eliminating steel-types like opposing corvi and also skarmory.
corviknight appreciates good fire-resistances as well as teampartners, so pkmn like tyranitar and rhyperior can help in this aspect.

Finchinator mentioned spikes being a problem for Pex in the newest VR. Is HDB worth considering on Pex, considering that it has regenerator + access to recover?

Katy

Finchinator mentioned spikes being a problem for Pex in the newest VR. Is HDB worth considering on Pex, considering that it has regenerator + access to recover?
I dont think HDB is worth on Pex since it needs Rocky Helmet to chip down Urshifu which is still a big threat in the metagame. Alternatively Black Sludge could be an option to further its recovery in general a bit in conjunction with Regenerator and Recover. But Heavy-Duty Boots arent worth running, in a metagame where Urshifu, Dragapult, Zeraora, and many more physical threats are around. You want them to be chipped as much as you can as they themselves run Boots to prevent Hazard-Damage, you basically chip them down slowly with Rocky Helmet.

It could probably work, but heavy duty boots generally works better on offensive mons that either desperately need them like volcarona or can act as offensive pivots like dragapult and zeraora. The few defensive mons that do use boots, blissey and slowbro, have teleport to act as pivots. Toxapex doesn't have a switching move so it can't use boots as effectively and is usually better off using black sludge or rocky helmet.

Finchinator

We'll be a fine line
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a former Tournament Circuit Champion
BW Circuit Champion
On top of what the two above users said, Toxapex also takes Knock Offs more than just about every Pokemon and avoiding that while keeping the rest of your team in-tact is a challenging task; it also is a common Trick target. Taking everything into consideration, Toxapex can viably run Heavy Duty Boots, but you can only justify it a small fraction of the time and those times are still not foolproof against Spikes due to item displacement running rampant.

Hi, can someone explain why Rhyperior is suddenly getting a ton of respect? I've seen people talk about it a bit in the metagame and viability ranking threads, and they call out its high power wallbreaking sets and ability to set Stealth Rock while still threatening. But... hasn't it always had these capabilities? It's always been a solid contirbutor in the lower tiers from what I remember, but never OU. What is it about gen 8 that is making Rhyperior suddenly good? Thanks!

Finchinator

We'll be a fine line
BW Circuit Champion
Hi, can someone explain why Rhyperior is suddenly getting a ton of respect? I've seen people talk about it a bit in the metagame and viability ranking threads, and they call out its high power wallbreaking sets and ability to set Stealth Rock while still threatening. But... hasn't it always had these capabilities? It's always been a solid contirbutor in the lower tiers from what I remember, but never OU. What is it about gen 8 that is making Rhyperior suddenly good? Thanks!
Pokemon like Rotom-Heat and Zeraora being so common surely contributes and they were not used previously.

It also benefits from things like overly passive Defog users permitting entry, Heavy Duty Boots promoting usage of Flying/Rock weak Pokemon as a Rock type, the resurgence of Togekiss, and the limited dex restricting other options.

Is Togekiss a usable defogger? I've noticed its analysis doesn't mention Defog. Is that because Togekiss would probably serve as a team's primary answer to things like Urshifu and Rillaboom, so by also using it as your hazard removal, you're putting too much pressure on a single team slot and diminishing its ability to perform any of those roles effectively? It just seems like an attractive option sometimes if you're trying to shore up the Urshifu matchup a little bit or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)