Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is there a basic template or sample for Rain teams post-DLC2, or is the meta still being worked out?
Hello,

we don't have a Sample Team for Rain, but there clearly mons which fit together.
First of all:
:Pelipper: can summon the rain and has Damp Rock to further the rain turns from 5 to 8, which is pretty helpful.
:ferrothorn: can help with spreading entry hazards like Spikes / Stealth Rocks, is also a great answer to opposing rain mons and can check electric-types pretty well.
:barraskewda: with the Choice Band-Set with moves like Liquidation, Flip Turn, Crunch, Close Combat, Psychic Fang can work well as a very fast physical breaker.
:seismitoad: is a great Swift Swim abuser currently with moves like Sludge Wave, Focus Blast, Scald / Hydro Pump, and Earth Power. Which makes it a nice all-out-attacker.
:kingdra: with Choice Specs-Set and moves like Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump, Hurricane and Flip Turn offers a lot for rain teams, it is a very good special breaker.
:zapdos: Zapdos has access to Hurricane and Weather Ball now, can run therefore a set like Thunder, Hurricane, Weather Ball and Roost, with Heavy-Duty Boots as an item.
:Azumarill: albeit a niche mon, but after a Belly Drum and Priority in Aqua Jet can dish out a lot of damage to anything, which doesn't resist water well, It also has Knock Off and Play Rough in its Set.
:Swampert: can help as a true electric-immunity and can also spread entry hazards like Stealth Rock and can abuse Flip Turn as a slower way to give Momentum.
:Tapu koko: & :hawlucha: niche combination, but with Electric Seed, Hawlucha can profit from Tapu Koko + Tapu Koko can offer Momentum with U-Turn and is a great secondary Defog-Option, in case you run Pelipper with a Choice Specs-Set, rather than the Damp Rock-Set.
:Tornadus-therian: Gains Nasty Plot this Gen, which means, it can dent holes in opposing teams with an even stronger STAB-Hurricane, other move-options are Focus Blast to hit Heatran and Tyranitar for super effective damage. Furthermore Regenerator guarantees that it has some longevity to do its job throughout the game.

They could be used on Rain-Teams and also :Crawdaunt:, which you have already stated above.
Hope that helped.

Last edited:
I haven't touched competitive Pokemon in 2 generations, but now with DLC2, this generation looks interesting enough to get back into. I've always been a fan of Rain teams, and they seem pretty viable now after just glancing at some of the new Pokemon and moves like Barraskewda, Urshifu-Water, and Flip Turn.

Is there a basic template or sample for Rain teams post-DLC2, or is the meta still being worked out? I'd assume Pelipper, Barraskewda, and some Electric immune/resist like Thunderus-I or Ferro are essential, but outside of that, I know nothing. Crawdaunt looks viable, but I'm also extremely biased towards that guy.
In addition to what Katy said, rain gained some new options in DLC2 with the return of Kabutops and Omastar. The latter is especially fun because it can run its normal Shell Smash set but with Power Herb + Meteor Beam to hit obscenely hard. Rapid Strike Urshifu is another solid option.

I think using Zapdos and/or Torn-T is important for every rain team because they help deal with Rillaboom, Tapu Bulu, and Kartana. Strongly recommend them.

Hey guys! Coming back since gen7, and didnt play any pre-dlc2 meta, so, I am not very familiarized with the current metagame.
Im always been fan of sand, so, I would like to know if there is some resources, templates or something to watch out when building a competitive sand team for this metagame?

Thank you :blobthumbsup:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hey guys! Coming back since gen7, and didnt play any pre-dlc2 meta, so, I am not very familiarized with the current metagame.
Im always been fan of sand, so, I would like to know if there is some resources, templates or something to watch out when building a competitive sand team for this metagame?

Thank you :blobthumbsup:
Hey, glad to have you here! The metagame's definitely shaken up quite a bit, especially with how different things are mechanically compared to Gen 7.

Sand cores have had a couple of noteworthy changes. I'll try to do my best to address everything as far as Sand goes to fill you in!

--
Setters

Hippowdon has taken the throne as the superior Sand setter. There are notable reasons for this, the primary ones of which being its physical bulk in tandem with its pure Ground typing, and incredible longevity with Slack Off. This allows for it to perform as a phenomenal physical wall, which puts a decent stop against many physical wallbreakers, such as Galarian Zapdos, Garchomp, Cinderace, Zygarde, and Melmetal (kind of?). It is a great Stealth Rock setter as well, since its bulk forces out many of these Pokemon, and it has access to moves such as Toxic and Whirlwind to avoid being treated as set up fodder. Hippowdon is also such an effective wall by itself in the metagame that it has facilitated Semi-Sand cores with Excadrill, which alone can be extremely devastating for offensively oriented teams. Hippowdon is definitely the better of the two in my eyes, and my go-to as far as Sand goes.

Tyranitar lost Pursuit coming into Gen 8, which has caused for its role to change somewhat into becoming more of a specially defensive Stealth Rock setter for Sand teams. Although it isn't as reliable as Hippowdon, it has a bit of a niche in this metagame still due to its typing, which augments its specially defensive attributes to take on Pokemon such as Heatran, Dragapult, and Non-Aura Sphere Latis while providing a Dark/Ghost-type resistance; consequently, it also makes a pretty good Stealth Rock setter. I also see its Ice-type neutrality to be fairly helpful as well as a failsafe against Kyurem Black, which Hippowdon doesn't fancy taking on. Tyranitar has a much harder time than it did in past generations, though, and in my eyes, it isn't as consistent as the other Sand setting option.

--
Abusers

Excadrill is as amazing of a Sand abuser as it's always been, and is an incredible win-con. It often runs Leftovers with Swords Dance / Earthquake / Iron Head / Rock Slide on Sand cores, sometimes slotting out Rock Slide for Rapid Spin due to the Speed buff and providing hazard removal. Excadrill, however, is hard walled by Physically Defensive Corviknight and Skarmory, which are able to either freely heal in front of it, pressure it with Body Press, clear hazards, and in Skarmory's case set a free hazard. Mandibuzz is also fairly annoying for it, but it can more feasibly be brute forced with boosted Iron Heads and Rock Slides, but Foul Play will blow Excadrill away if Mandibuzz is not already chipped. Excadrill, though, should not be underestimated, as it and Hippowdon alone form an amazing semi-Sand duo that pries apart many offensive archetypes.

Dracozolt is a very new, yet very welcome advent to Sand cores; the primary reason of which being its Electric-type STAB in the form of Bolt Beak, which can beat down almost every non-resist/immunity in the game with the speed boost allotted. It works fantastically with Excadrill since, unlike Excadrill, instead of being scared out by the aforementioned Flying-types, it preys upon them. However, Bolt Beak is more readily stopped by opposing Hippowdon, other Ground-types, and Ferrothorn, which has caused the development of a mixed LO set making use of Draco Meteor and special Fire-type coverage to break past these Pokemon. Although it's more readily checked than Excadrill, Dracozolt is a super fearsome cleaner that does work in this metagame if you're not prepared for it.

--
Glues

Mandibuzz works really well with Hippowdon Sand cores, providing a useful Ghost- and Dark-type resistance, reliable hazard removal, and a useful defensive pivot. Overcoat allows for it to avoid taking residual damage from Sandstorm, which can force it to Roost considerably less in the long term, which is important for maintaining momentum.

Amoonguss is pretty cool on Sand teams, spreading Spores, status, and annoying Water-type wallbreakers. It works a bit better with Tyranitar than Hippowdon due to weakness synergy, but it certainly works.

As far as Fairies go, I like Clefable the best on Sand teams, since it is impervious to Sandstorm chip damage, and it is able to provide Wishport support to Tyranitar and chipped wallbreakers that want as many breaking opportunities as possible. It also has cool utility, such as Knock Off and Thunder Wave, that's good at disrupting the opposition.

Anyway, I hope that helps! Sand is in a bit of an interesting place right now, but it's certainly viable, and I implore you to give it a shot. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
what's the best set for hex dragapult rn? I feel like the utility of dragon darts is diminished and a +speed full SpAtk set with draco is probably better than mild right?

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
what's the best set for hex dragapult rn? I feel like the utility of dragon darts is diminished and a +speed full SpAtk set with draco is probably better than mild right?
Yep! I definitely quite like Special Dragapult a lot more in this metagame. Dragon Darts's main merit right now is cleaving past Substitute (namely from Zygarde) and Dragonite's Multiscale, but Draco Meteor hits a lot harder a lot more immediately, and since it hits on the Special side, it busts past the wider range of physically bulkier targets such as Hippowdon and Zygarde. Due to the induction of Spectrier and Tapu Koko into the metagame, Dragapult wants a positive nature again as well since its speed with a neutral nature doesn't cut it anymore, hitting 383 versus their 394.

Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers / Spell Tag
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Although I like Choice Specs better in this metagame for the immediate damage, this variant of Hex is probably what I would recommend the most. Depending on whether you want to pivot more, switch into attacks more, or deal more Hex damage, you have 3 primary item options between HDB, Leftovers, and Spell Tag respectively, and you are able to speed tie with opposing Dragapults that want a positive nature for the same reason. Depending on your need, you can run either Wisp or Thunder Wave, but I mostly recommend Will-O-Wisp, since you can punish most of the offense in the tier with it, and are able to punish Electric- and Ground-type targets without giving them a free switch-in on your status move. And, of course, U-turn is as helpful as ever for pivoting and getting momentum on Fairy-types such as Clefable and Magearna that check and switch-in freely on Dragapult.

Last edited:
What specially defensive options are there right now? It seems like most bulky pokemon want to run a physically defensive set because of the abundance of physical threats. Right?

What specially defensive options are there right now? It seems like most bulky pokemon want to run a physically defensive set because of the abundance of physical threats. Right?
Well, Slowking is your go-to specially bulky water at the moment. Blissey of course is always a thing as well, and Ttar can do the deed as well. There are of course others, but those are the best.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Aight so ya boi still hasn't touched ladder very much since the Crown Tundra drop but I'm curious: does anyone think it's worth running status on banded Melmetal as a last move? My thought was something like Bash (duh), Tpunch, any of Ice Punch/Superpower/EQ, and then either Toxic or Twave. The former would be to catch the occasional Hippo, while the latter would cripple any non-Drill Steels that try to swap in (i.e. Tran). I know banded Melm is generally more of the unga bunga only-clicks-bash type of mon, but it was just a thought I had. Might also just be better to run two of the moves I suggested in slot 3 idk

ScalchopFren

Looking for the optimal spread on sand rush dracovolt mixed or purely physical.

Thanks in advance
Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Ruft10/30/2020
The zolt SpA investment OHKOs Ferro with fire blast, KyuB with draco and 2HKOs Lando with subsesuent dracos
Offensive Lando that is
And physdef Ferro

If you're going pure physical there's probably no reason to not go max max

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
Aight so ya boi still hasn't touched ladder very much since the Crown Tundra drop but I'm curious: does anyone think it's worth running status on banded Melmetal as a last move? My thought was something like Bash (duh), Tpunch, any of Ice Punch/Superpower/EQ, and then either Toxic or Twave. The former would be to catch the occasional Hippo, while the latter would cripple any non-Drill Steels that try to swap in (i.e. Tran). I know banded Melm is generally more of the unga bunga only-clicks-bash type of mon, but it was just a thought I had. Might also just be better to run two of the moves I suggested in slot 3 idk
I personally think that whenever Banded Melmetal is on the field, that it's going to want to take as many opportunities to attack as possible. I feel that you will want Superpower and Ice Punch slotted, especially since both let Melmetal perform much more consistently. The latter move is a necessity, as being able to have the ability to hit Zapdos harder and proc status less, Zygarde, and Garchomp while minimizing Rough Skin recoil is fairly important. Superpower or Earthquake I feel are both fine options in the last slot, but I think Superpower is preferable since it is able to pry apart Ferrothorn, which is a very promising switch-in due to Iron Barbs and being readily able to shrug off Melmetal's other options. The other problem is that any possible Toxic/TWave switch-ins are battered by Melmetal's other offensive options anyway, and the few Pokemon that can switch consistently into Melmetal are either immune to Toxic or can shrug off TWave to an extent.

While the idea is cool, I think Melmetal needs all of its moveslots to cover as many offensive bases as possible, and minimize potential switch-ins.

Last edited:
The usage threshold for pokemon to stay in a tier was raised at the start of this generation, which is understandable due to the lower amount of pokemon necessitating relatively smaller tiers. However, the threshold is still just as high, despite us having far more available pokemon. Is there a secondary reason for the higher threshold that I'm not realizing, or is this just a change in smogon's policy that will be permanent from now on?
Bumping this question since it went unanswered and I am also curious.

ScalchopFren

I personally think that whenever Banded Melmetal is on the field, that it's going to want to take as many opportunities to attack as possible. I feel that you will want Superpower and Ice Punch slotted, especially since both let Melmetal perform much more consistently. The latter move is a necessity, as being able to have the ability to hit Zapdos harder and proc status less, Zygarde, and Garchomp while minimizing Rough Skin recoil is fairly important. Superpower or Earthquake I feel are both fine options in the last slot, but I think Superpower is preferable since it is able to pry apart Ferrothorn, which is a very promising switch-in due to Iron Barbs and being readily able to shrug off Melmetal's other options. The other problem is that any possible Toxic/TWave switch-ins are battered by Melmetal's other offensive options anyway, and the few Pokemon that can switch consistently into Melmetal are either immune to Toxic or can shrug off TWave to an extent.

While the idea is cool, I think Melmetal needs all of its moveslots to cover as many offensive bases as possible, and minimize potential switch-ins.
Yea figured as much, just wanted another opinion. ty fren :]

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are the optimal evs for Mandibuzz sets Post DLC?
Depends on team, a lot have been running more SDef due to Spectrier and more people running special Dragapult. However, some EVs have been put into PDef for CB Zygarde oftentimes as well. Also, Knock Off has overtaken Foul Play on some structures.

I would advise looking into your MU against the above and other things like Latis, LandoT, and Exca before determining benchmarks.

With Pokemon Go to HOME integration now working, it seems like A-Vulpix is learn to get K-Vulpix's moveset (actually, all regional variants of Kanto mons can learn moves from the Kanto variant). This is most likely unintentional, but is there any chance we can see this reflected on Showdown? Flamethrower A-Tales sounds like fun.

Katy

Banned deucer.
With Pokemon Go to HOME integration now working, it seems like A-Vulpix is learn to get K-Vulpix's moveset (actually, all regional variants of Kanto mons can learn moves from the Kanto variant). This is most likely unintentional, but is there any chance we can see this reflected on Showdown? Flamethrower A-Tales sounds like fun.
With that being a glitch / bug, and was very unintentional, I don't think it'll be reflected on Pokemon Showdown at all, since it appears that these aren't their actual movesets, therefore they should not have acces to things like Fire Blast on Alola-Ninetales, or any other scenario, so I do not think that these changes will be implemented in Pokemon Showdown. For any other Pokemon Showdown related Questions i recommend looking at this SQSA thread, they can help further with these and similar Questions regarding Pokemon Showdown.
Hope this helped.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What Hydreigon sets are doing well since the DLC?
Some people have been using it in more of a utility role due to its ability to defensively handle Spectrier and Heatran.

Here is an example:

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 176 HP / 56 SpA / 28 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Earth Power
- Defog

Of course, offensive Nasty Plot sets can work, too, especially if you find a way to chip down Heatran and Tapu Fini. Running different coverage options offer trade-offs, too.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
The usage threshold for pokemon to stay in a tier was raised at the start of this generation, which is understandable due to the lower amount of pokemon necessitating relatively smaller tiers. However, the threshold is still just as high, despite us having far more available pokemon. Is there a secondary reason for the higher threshold that I'm not realizing, or is this just a change in smogon's policy that will be permanent from now on?
I do not believe it is permanent and you have to keep in mind that DLCs are entirely unprecedented. I would just be patient with the system and between gradual usage shifts and natural tiering actions promoted by potential drops, metagames will settle now that we don’t have anymore immediately known crazy DLCs on the horizon hopefully.

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm quoting https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-for-generation-8.3657121/

"Why are we changing this? Well, last generation there were serious concerns with how disruptive tier shifts could be to lower tiers. While drops could always be handled via bans, rises could completely destabilize a tier, causing major impact... impact that then needed to be reset in a few months when the risen element fell again. Even a single popular sample team could end up causing major ripples in the tiers below due to nothing more than a passing trend. This was especially true if it occurred during the months weighted more heavily. While rises are always going to be a part of any usage-based tiering process, we wanted a solution that made them a bit less frequent."

so tl;dr: raising the usage threshold can prevent some rises from lower tiers that are likely to fall in the near future

Reversal is already very niche, have to get down to 1hp. It is easy to counter since even at +1 it isnt Ko'ing many threats such as toxapex, bulky psychics like slowbro, Lando-t, and it is very vulnerable to Helmet users/Rough Skin users, residual damage. It isn't worth using because SD is better, but even that is outdone by cinderace due to blaziken having a mediocre speed tier before it gains a speed boost, and still it is outrun by scarf latios for ex. All out attacker cinderace is generally better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)