(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's a freaking huge land shark that runs fast af!!!

Definitely sounds more like a High Horsepower mon than a Drill Run mon to me.

It low key bothers me how HH is really the best reliable single-target Ground option. I'd rather have a new widespread move than ruining HH's flavor by giving it to everything but Garchomp because otherwise, it'd be EQ or bust in Doubles.
I think this is going to end with a "each their own" agreement, but let me explain my reasoning further:

First, "horsepower" has nothing to do with speed. A car touting a high horsepower isn't technically saying how fast it is but rather how powerful the engine runs (which not only means it can go faster but it can also pull more wieght).

And that's what I feel is the principle idea behind the move. When I envision a Pokemon with "high horsepower", I see a Pokemon with either big muscles or is built thick and when it attacks it's putting all its weight behind that attack.

Now with how Garchomp attacks, while it certainly does also add it's weight to its attack, I don't picture it in the same way as say Mudsdale or Golurk. Garchomp more uses its speed to hit its opponent at high velocity. Also it would likely more want to use its claws and teeth to slash & shred. With Drill Run it would be spinning around with its claws forward to shred its target with centrifugal force. High Horsepower is more of a slamming move.

so I think the only way for a psychic to hit a dark type in gen 8 is with soak (if it still exists)
Or, you know, uses another Type of attack. Infact a lot of Psychics learn Dazzling Gleam and if not that they usually get elemental moves like Thunderbolt or Ice Beam.

A car touting a high horsepower isn't technically saying how fast it is but rather how powerful the engine runs (which not only means it can go faster but it can also pull more wieght).
Which is why I brought that up. Garchomp is a pretty heavyweight mon. The fact it's that fast (and runs fast according to lolDex) means it should learn High Horsepower.

It'd pretty much be like it using Dragon Rush.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Which is why I brought that up. Garchomp is a pretty heavyweight mon.
Garchomp is only 200 pounds/95 kilograms. Do you want to dive into the ridiculous of Pokemon weight and see what Pokemon are heavier than that?

I was talking about psychic the move type, I know fully well psychic types have coverage options, I'm not that stupid my guy
I know, but I'm also pointing out there's no need to find a way around using Psychic on Dark when you can use another Type. This is also asking if there's a way for Electric to hit Ground, Ghost to hit Normal, or Dragon to hit Fairy, short answer is no (without Ring Target) but you don't need to as there's other Types.

I know, but I'm also pointing out there's no need to find a way around using Psychic on Dark when you can use another Type. This is also asking if there's a way for Electric to hit Ground, Ghost to hit Normal, or Dragon to hit Fairy, short answer is no (without Ring Target) but you don't need to as there's other Types.
Yeah, its not useful in general, but it was just a small tidbit info with the topic lol, nothing that deep. i think everyone knows that bypassing immunities with miracle eye-esque/soak moves/ring tagert arent exactly worth doing (unless you want to do some wack regieleki ring target set or something. pretty sure theyre kinda bad though).

also pokemon height and weights are usually very weird. Weight I guess you could stretch to say theyre done for stuff like low kick and heavy slam... which still doesn't explain 90% of the list.

Height is just the fact gamefreak is clearly only making these heights from the perspective of a young kid. The fact I tower pokémon that seem to be made to look big is very funny (i'm almost two feet taller than nidoking lol), but even an adult with an average height would be bigger than some "made to look big" pokemon. Its also funny to see pokemon that you think are very small actually be really big

since this is the "little things that annoy you" thread, i'll write something that probably doesn't matter at all, that I probably just care too much about, but it still bugs me to this day.

I wish there was a difference between height and lenght. sure, for most pokemon who'd receive this change, you can guess that it's just how long they are, and they aren't actually 20ft tall, but I think it's good for clarity, and it'd help for pokemon like dunsparce, who probably aren't 4'11, but they're pretty compact, and it'd be nice to know their height in relation to lenght. pretty small, overall worthless dinstinction, that i'd still love to see

since this is the "little things that annoy you" thread, i'll write something that probably doesn't matter at all, that I probably just care too much about, but it still bugs me to this day.

I wish there was a difference between height and lenght. sure, for most pokemon who'd receive this change, you can guess that it's just how long they are, and they aren't actually 20ft tall, but I think it's good for clarity, and it'd help for pokemon like dunsparce, who probably aren't 4'11, but they're pretty compact, and it'd be nice to know their height in relation to lenght. pretty small, overall worthless dinstinction, that i'd still love to see
No I agree. 7m for a flying dragon legendary that's a diety is FAR too small for length
So I took the model and measured it like so
Pokelength.png

Which makes a massive difference

At the very least give us complete measures on each Pokémon.

It's not like they don't have them (otherwise, how are they going to get designed in different media?), but for some reason they only want to give ONE measure.

The ambiguity of this one measure makes things harder to compare, of course. I always like to point out the example of Salamence, whose 1.5m of "Height" could mean it's either a regular-sized dragon, or basically a flying tegu, depending on how you take it.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No I agree. 7m for a flying dragon legendary that's a diety is FAR too small for length
So I took the model and measured it like so
View attachment 300896
Which makes a massive difference
Except we know from ORAS that Rayquaza isn't that big, a child can ride on its back with legs hanging off its side. But you're right that when Rayquaza is stretched out it's length probably just a bit smaller of Wailord but certainly longer than 7 meters. It feels like the 7 meters comes from the height it reaches when its coiled up which doesn't make any sense to base its height off of.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Admittedly it's better than Psyduck's level up moveset at the time (seriously, took till Gen 4 to get water gun)

Though speaking of, WHY WAS GRASS KNOT GIVEN OUT SO MUCH?
Infernape did not need it!
Grass Knot simply involves typing a knot in the grass on the ground, so it kinda makes sense that everyone gets it, and especially mischievous ones like Infernape.

Except we know from ORAS that Rayquaza isn't that big, a child can ride on its back with legs hanging off its side. But you're right that when Rayquaza is stretched out it's length probably just a bit smaller of Wailord but certainly longer than 7 meters. It feels like the 7 meters comes from the height it reaches when its coiled up which doesn't make any sense to base its height off of.
The height of serpentine pokemon can be kinda weird. Some are just their lenght, others have their height be the amount of body thats horizontal ( so head to base i guess ).
Also rayquaza is technically small but japanese dragons can be as tiny or as big as the narrative wants so any size for them works, and since most pokemon arent that big, it still looks bigger than average. A 200 m rayquaza would be cool though ngl

It always makes me very happy when I finally managed to capture a Pokémon after a long and difficult fight =) !

What are some of the most difficult captures that you have accomplished? I recently managed to catch a very strong Rapidash which was extremely exciting!

It always makes me very happy when I finally managed to capture a Pokémon after a long and difficult fight =) !

What are some of the most difficult captures that you have accomplished? I recently managed to catch a very strong Rapidash which was extremely exciting!
I, uh...I don't think you're in quite the right thread, friend.

But while we're here, here's one: Who among the fandom genuinely thought the best way to capture a Legendary is "Hurl a large batch of Ultra/Dusk/Timer Balls while the thing whales on your team" and anything else is sacrilege? It's not challenging, it's aggravating. (To clarify, this is a fandom complaint more than a game design one.)

Last edited:
I hate catching legendaries. I'd rather the fight be hard but a guarantee catch when defeated (aka you proving your worth) vs throwing balls until one works or i soft reset and do the same thing again. Its why i highly prefer the dmax dens than anything else
I really don't understand why some people find the traditional method to be a good challenge.

Challenge? It's way too easy to put the legendary into a non-threatening state, at 1 HP, paralyzed/asleep and unable to deal enough damage. The only "challenge" is begging the RNG to think it's a good idea to catch the Pokémon, instead of waiting until it KOes itself through Struggle.

The D-Max Legendaries provide an actual challenge, without an incredibly low catch rate.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Grass Knot simply involves typing a knot in the grass on the ground, so it kinda makes sense that everyone gets it, and especially mischievous ones like Infernape.
Though note that the Pokemon itself doesn't physically tie the knot, it uses some magic/psychic power over plantlife to have two sprouts grow from the ground and tie together. This makes sense for Grass- and maybe a few Fairy-types, but there's quite a few Pokemon given Grass Knot who don't look like they would have plant-mancy ability.

But while we're here, here's one: Who among the fandom genuinely thought the best way to capture a Legendary is "Hurl a large batch of Ultra/Dusk/Timer Balls while the thing whales on your team" and anything else is sacrilege? It's not challenging, it's aggravating. (To clarify, this is a fandom complaint more than a game design one.)
... What else are we supposed to do?

I hate catching legendaries. I'd rather the fight be hard but a guarantee catch when defeated (aka you proving your worth) vs throwing balls until one works or i soft reset and do the same thing again. Its why i highly prefer the dmax dens than anything else
Posted this in Unpopular Opinion but I'll also post it here since its appropriate:
Oddly I think Let's Go probably gives the "best" Legendary catching experience as you do have to defeat the Legendary first then comes the challenge of trying to catch it which you usually do in a few balls (though there is a timer and it can run away if you're unlucky and have to try again). I've thought of several ways they could make catching Pokemon, specifically Legendaries, more fun; one I thought of recently is that with each Poke Ball thrown, if it fails, it will at least add its modifier number to the catch rate thus each fail ball makes the Pokemon easier to capture. Also Legendaries I think could be given special "boss" battles with different mechanics to make catching it more interesting (also I'd just give them perfect IVs where it matters and a suituable Nature, they're Legendaries afterall so they should be "battle-ready").

Something I keep forgetting, how come Vivillon gets variants, but Arbok doesn't!? It's Dex, Sugi's art for Jessie's Arbok, and early supplemental material from Benimaru Itoh all note it having different chest markings, despite it never being seen in game

Something I keep forgetting, how come Vivillon gets variants, but Arbok doesn't!? It's Dex, Sugi's art for Jessie's Arbok, and early supplemental material from Benimaru Itoh all note it having different chest markings, despite it never being seen in game
We did get different sprites in gen3 for the hoenn and kanto games, showcasing that. Too bad they just decided to keep the kanto one. The hoenn one is sick and extra patterns would be super cool
Spr_3e_024.png

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A bit of a peeve with X and Y, even though I like the games, but one of the big things that annoy me about the story/plot of X and Y is Xerneas and Yveltal. And that is the fact that Xerneas and Yveltal are mandatory captures in X and Y.

I don't mind legendary captures being mandatory, and I'm inclined to catch them anyway, but the reason it annoys me here specifically with X and Y is that the game does not give any sort of justification as to why Xerneas and Yveltal want to join you or aid you in the first place. Not only do they not show up at all until you first encounter them, but the game doesn't allude to their existence much at all beforehand, and it just shows up and awakens in front of you and mandates that you capture it. It does not build up well at all and the legendary just shows up suddenly and you catch it.

Yes, other games since Gen 5 have made the cover legendary required to be caught. But there was a good build-up to and in-story justification for it.

- Reshiram and Zekrom are heavily talked about in great detail in the story of BW1. The game talks about how they split in two, chose one of two heroes who quarreled, and sided with them and fiercely fought alongside them as their allies. It's clear that Reshiram and Zekrom each are inclined to choose a hero who represents truths or ideals, and fights valiantly on their behalf: that's their schtick. Just as one of the legendaries chooses N, the other chooses you, the player (aka Hilbert/Hilda), and once you've shown you are commited to fighting for truths/ideals, the legendary awakens, and as N translates what they're saying, it wants to test you and be friends with you, and fight alongside you. This was the first time they did mandatory captures of the cover legendaries, and they did it well.
- Solgaleo and Lunala are a distinct case of a Legendary Pokemon where you meet the individual you end up catching from the beginning of the story. That is, in the form of their base unevolved form, Cosmog, as Nebby. The little Cosmog that Lillie carries around, you gradually bond with it over the course of the game from the beginning when you first protect Cosmog, and later meet up with it and Lillie on numerous occasions and steadily grow closer to it, it goes through quite a bit especially when Lusamine tries to use it to summon UBs, and then when you need to summon the legendary to get to Ultra Space, it awakens and reveals itself to be the Legendary Pokemon, and it helps you and Lillie to get to Lusamine in Ultra Space. Now that it's evolved into the Legendary, you already have a strong connection with it, and now you capture it so that you take it with you for the rest of your journey. In other words, you effectively form a bond/connection with this Pokemon over time.
- Zacian and Zamazenta are a bit of a lesser scale, but you and Hop meet one of them once early in the game, later discover their existence, and then when the Darkest Day happens, you manage to summon them and fight alongside them to stop Eternatus. And then later on you meet them again when the Sordward and Shielbert weirdos try to force them to do evil things, and one of them steps in the way, and they recognize you and it reveals it wants to test you and see if you're worthy of its friendship. So in a way, you also gradually build a connection with the Legendary Pokemon, and so does Hop over the course of the story, both of you becoming close allies of the wolves.

When you look at it, Xerneas and Yveltal in X and Y really stick out like a sore thumb. The other cover legendaries since then have that sort of build-up and/or in-game lore and justification that makes the event of needing to capture them and take them with you on your journey a meaningful event, and you have a formal connection with the legendary, either as the Chosen Hero or even just a friend. Meanwhile, Xerneas and Yveltal have no build-up to their capture whatsoever, they just show up on a whim, there's no in-game justification of why you are required to capture them, and they are barely alluded to beforehand. It's just a very odd design choice and it really feels like in this case they made them mandatory captures for the sake of it, without trying to make it a meaningful event like Reshiram and Zekrom before them, or even the other cover legends (like Solgaleo and Lunala/Zacian and Zamazenta) that came after. X and Y's story has plenty of issues besides this, but this is one that really sticks out to me.

Also with mandatory capture of Eternatus, it is literally the entire point of going up there to battle it because it's not going to stop going out of control otherwise. The sort of flip side: rather than learning a bunch about it and maybe building a bond to it, this thing is literally too dangerous and will not stop. A nice variation on a theme.

But yes, agreed on them. It's such an odd decision to put all their lore onto one unrelated NPC and then just vaguely allude to where they're located and then effectively made them batteries to power a gun. Eternal Floette has more direct build up and that thing is this close to being unexistenced entirely.

Can't talk about Xerneas or Yveltal but, with the exception of Eternatus, the required legendary catches have been very unconvincing to me.

- In BW1, you need to catch Zekrom or Reshiram because N would not accept your challenge otherwise... I mean, he has his reasons, but that's pointless.
- In SM, if you needed to catch Solgaleo or Lunala BEFORE going to Ultra Space, I would understand it (though only a bit - there's no real reason to hurry to stop a woman that is happy enough with her Nihilego fetish). But nope, it happens after Ultra Space, because Lillie wants you to do so.
- As I said, Eternatus is the only convincing one as you need to have its power sealed somehow, and a Poké Ball was the best option at hand. Bingo there.
- Then we go to Sword and Shield's cover legendaries. Why exactly do you have to catch them? I mean, they were overloaded by Wishing Stones, but can't you just KO them and call it a day?
- Kubfu is a lie. I expected an actual armor.
- Calyrex has the same problem as the cover legendaries. Yes, I know, it has bonded with you, but the catch is still required to progress in the story. No "sometime later" or anything like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)