(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
At least to me, it annoys me that Garchomp still doesn’t learn Dragon Dance with the advent of the Crown Tundra. No Rising Voltage/Play Rough/CC Koko, no Expanding Force Lele, no Play Rough Bulu, I can live with. But Garchomp should get Dragon Dance and it irks me that it didn’t, even with DD being a TR.
I think they figured it would probably be too good, if not outright overpowered, with Dragon Dance equipped. I'm also inclined to believe they actively don't want to push Garchomp over the edge like that and consciously chose not to give it Dragon Dance as a means to balance it and ensure it stays manageable considering it's already an incredibly good Pokemon in competitive, one of the finest most masterful Pokemon ever made, having historically been a very good Pokemon in both unofficial and official VGC formats alike.

At least to me, it annoys me that Garchomp still doesn’t learn Dragon Dance with the advent of the Crown Tundra. No Rising Voltage/Play Rough/CC Koko, no Expanding Force Lele, no Play Rough Bulu, I can live with. But Garchomp should get Dragon Dance and it irks me that it didn’t, even with DD being a TR.
Cynthia still has people shook, so Garchomp must never be allowed to get DD.

Shame, but there's a move I'd wish it'd got even more than DD...

I think they figured it would probably be too good, if not outright overpowered, with Dragon Dance equipped. I'm also inclined to believe they actively don't want to push Garchomp over the edge like that and consciously chose not to give it Dragon Dance as a means to balance it and ensure it stays manageable considering it's already an incredibly good Pokemon in competitive, one of the finest most masterful Pokemon ever made, having historically been a very good Pokemon in both unofficial and official VGC formats alike.
And what does Chomp run for Ground STAB in VGC? Unfortunately, we know EQ has quite a big drawback and like DD, it did not get High Horsepower.

That really annoyed me because I was planning to update Raihan's team with a Garchomp, but now I'm not too sure about that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And what does Chomp run for Ground STAB in VGC? Unfortunately, we know EQ has quite a big drawback and like DD, it did not get High Horsepower.
Eh, Garchomp feels more of a Drill Run Pokemon than a High Horsepower one. Yes, I know they expanded on what Pokemon can learn High Horsepower and there's plenty of examples of "well if x can learn it why not Garchomp", but I always see High Horsepower being for the thicc & chonky Ground-types. Meanwhile we've seen Garchomp jump and spin around in the anime and Pokken, so I think that's good enough excuse to give it Drill Run.
Notable moments: 1:21, 2:29, and of course 2:50

Eh, Garchomp feels more of a Drill Run Pokemon than a High Horsepower one. Yes, I know they expanded on what Pokemon can learn High Horsepower and there's plenty of examples of "well if x can learn it why not Garchomp", but I always see High Horsepower being for the thicc & chonky Ground-types. Meanwhile we've seen Garchomp jump and spin around in the anime and Pokken, so I think that's good enough excuse to give it Drill Run.
It's a freaking huge land shark that runs fast af!!!

Definitely sounds more like a High Horsepower mon than a Drill Run mon to me.

It low key bothers me how HH is really the best reliable single-target Ground option. I'd rather have a new widespread move than ruining HH's flavor by giving it to everything but Garchomp because otherwise, it'd be EQ or bust in Doubles.

Competitive Players Shut The Hell Up About Legendaries "Ruining the Metagame" Challenge.

Pokemon is not literally unplayable just because Landorus exists. Or even Xerneas, as absurd as that thing is going to be with Geomancy + Dynamax.
Tell that to Wolfe Glick. Before, Crown Tundra launched he began complaining about how bad Legendary Pokémon were and they were going to ruin the metagame. In fact, in his top most cancerous ever in VGC video, he put Xerneas as the #1 spot. You know what the ironic part is? He won Worlds in 2016, which used the GS cup rule set.

I mean I don't blame him, most of the the time the big legendaries are allowed, vgc starts to suck a bit more (with the exception of gen7 because the lunaala one was something else imo). I hope gen 8 unrestricted can break the pattern

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Okay this is a really minor one but I'm easily bugged by tiny, obscure things like this so:

Pokemon Crystal has a character called the Pokeseer, who will tell the player where they met their Pokemon and at what level, as well as how friendly it currently is. Later games just do this on the Pokemon's status screen but this was a primitive sort of version of that function. She can't tell where Pokemon which originated in, or have been in, Gen I came from as these games didn't have location data.

Anyway, if the player shows her a Pokemon from an event, or one obtained from Pokemon Stadium, she will say:

"What!? Incredible! I don't how understand how, but it is incredible! You are special. I can't tell where you met it, but it was at level <level>. Am I good or what?"

However, since the Virtual Console releases of the Gen II games had no event distributions and cannot connect to Pokemon Stadium, this dialogue string goes completely unused in those games. The only event Pokemon given out to the VC games was Mew, and as that was only to RGBY it won't work.

I guess you could trigger it if you did one of those complicated save-file transplants people have done to get Pokemon with Gen II event moves onto their Virtual Console save files, but that's beyond me.

Source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_locations_by_index_number_(Generation_II)

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
The fact Petal Dance was distributed to the following in GSC;
-Psyduck
-Smoochum
-Pichu
-Igglybuff
-Cleffa
-Chikorita
Literally only 1 of those makes sense

Now if you excuse me, I'll go use my Zap Cannon Squirtle
What are you talking about? Psyduck was just dying for something to smack Ground- and Rock-types with... oh, wait.

It's kind of a semi-semi-semi useful niche option on the others, though (well, except for Smoochum) even though Surf is a better option on Pikachu, and it's at least flavour-relevant on Chikorita, which is more than can be said for most of the other GSC event moves.

The fact Petal Dance was distributed to the following in GSC;
-Psyduck
-Smoochum
-Pichu
-Igglybuff
-Cleffa
-Chikorita
Literally only 1 of those makes sense

Now if you excuse me, I'll go use my Zap Cannon Squirtle
There was also a Gen III Petal Dance Meowth event. Unlike the others you can actually have them in newer games.

I might be wrong, but if I remember right in both gens they were released around the time cherry blossoms begin to bloom in Japan.

Admittedly it's better than Psyduck's level up moveset at the time (seriously, took till Gen 4 to get water gun)

Though speaking of, WHY WAS GRASS KNOT GIVEN OUT SO MUCH?
Infernape did not need it!
I feel like Grass Knot was one of those moves that GF just slapped on to every Pokemon that had any connections to magic or forests, just like they decided to give Close Combat to everything that even looked slightly aggressive. I just lost a Showdown match because I didn't know Sharpedo could get Close Combat

Close Combat is a move that flavor wise I think makes sense to go to aggressive Pokemon. I mean, even back in its innagural generation it went to Staraptor by level up and Pinsir, Granbull and Teddiursa by breeding (with Growlithe and Mudbray getting it in gens 5 & 7 (well...obviously, for mudbray) respectively.

Sharpedo & Barraskewda are extremely aggressive fish. And Gyarados probably avoids it because it's Gyarados and the winds of balance blew gently in its direction that day.

Looking through the learn list for this I think the only one that makes me cock an eye brow is Escavalier. Not exceptoinally known for being super aggressive (as a Karrablast maybe but that's not what is happening here) and if anything it's based around long strikes or hit & runs. Did they just feel bad for how terrible its fighting moves were?

Xerneas got Close Combat? And has had Close Combat since its introduction?? Like I guess stags are known for fighting but Stantler sure didn't get it. Just doesnt fit Xerneas' Vibe, imo; Outrage (which it also gets) fits better as a "you messed up the environment lets GO" off-kilter move

the fact that you can't use Defog at the Pokemon League in DPPT
Defog does more than just clear fog. It also clears screens and lowers evasion. Aaron, Bertha, and Flint all have Double Team users, and Aaron and Lucian both have screen leads (Lucian even has dual screens). Though in Platinum, these are toned down, with Aaron losing Light Screen, and Bertha and Flint losing Double Team.

Defog does more than just clear fog. It also clears screens and lowers evasion. Aaron, Bertha, and Flint all have Double Team users, and Aaron and Lucian both have screen leads (Lucian even has dual screens). Though in Platinum, these are toned down, with Aaron losing Light Screen, and Bertha and Flint losing Double Team.
Today I learned that Defog ALWAYS hits. I always thought it was just 100% not 100%

Lock-on and Mind Reader did not always hit in gens 2 and 3. Maybe Defog was the move that made GF think about this issue?
Sweet Scent is also just 100%. Though gen 6 buffed it to be by 2 stages which is...something I didnt know about, so that's nice. Still, gen 2-5 were 100%.

But I think you're onto something otherwise, Foresight & Odor Sleuth used to just be 100% but in gen 4 they were made -%. Miracle Eye, also added in gen 4 with the same effect (but with hitting dark types) was -% out of the gate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)