my worst pokemon pronunciations

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do tell me what's wrong with this because that's how I pronounce it (with short A sounds of course)
I add an extra syllable and use it to shift everything outward. proper is STAK-ah-TAK-ah

Reactions: CPU
I kind of have a problem pronouncing Silvally.

Instead of Silv-ally, as in the components of the name, I pronounce it straight away as if it were a Spanish name (more like Silv-Allie). It kind of rolls better on the tongue.

I kind of have a problem pronouncing Silvally.

Instead of Silv-ally, as in the components of the name, I pronounce it straight away as if it were a Spanish name (more like Silv-Allie). It kind of rolls better on the tongue.
It is a kind of clunky name, since the accent is on "al" but due to its etymology you also want to put the accent on "Silv."

My recommended replacement name is "Argenchum."

While it's an issue of spelling in addition to pronunciation, I often find myself needing to correct for the gen 7 mythical's name not actually being Megearna. I don't know whether it's a result of reading the name as close to Megaera (one of the Furies in Greek myth), or because I think of the abbreviation "mag" as referring exclusively to the Magnemite line.

I've no problem, see. Because I'm spanish and most of us started pronnouncing Pokémon names before we heard them in the anime, we just pronnounced them as they're written. Sableye is Sableye, to me, not "seibolai", which I'm not to write phonetically, but that's how you correctly pronnounce Sableye. Blaziken, is Blazíken, exactly as it sounds, not Bleisiken. You may be wondering what the fuck is Bleisiken or Seibolai, because im transcripting it in spanish (to imitate how you pronnounce those names in english, but trust me, that's how you pronnounce it). Suicune is Suicune, not Súicun; Snivy is Esnivi, not 'Snaivi. Yveltal is Íveltal, Xerneas is Xerneas, Zygarde is Zigarde, Aegislash is Aeyislash (this is one example in which I change the J sound for the Y/LL sound).

It's a common trend in spanish that people differ when at pronnouncing certain mon names. One clear example that comes to my mind is Lugia. Some people say Lugia (as in Lujia, with the J spanish sound that doesn't exist in english), and others say Luguia (as in, well, you name it, Lugia, exactly the same as in english).

I've no problem, see. Because I'm spanish and most of us started pronnouncing Pokémon names before we heard them in the anime, we just pronnounced them as they're written. Sableye is Sableye, to me, not "seibolai", which I'm not to write phonetically, but that's how you correctly pronnounce Sableye. Blaziken, is Blazíken, exactly as it sounds, not Bleisiken. You may be wondering what the fuck is Bleisiken or Seibolai, because im transcripting it in spanish (to imitate how you pronnounce those names in english, but trust me, that's how you pronnounce it). Suicune is Suicune, not Súicun; Snivy is Esnivi, not 'Snaivi. Yveltal is Íveltal, Xerneas is Xerneas, Zygarde is Zigarde, Aegislash is Aeyislash (this is one example in which I change the J sound for the Y/LL sound).

It's a common trend in spanish that people differ when at pronnouncing certain mon names. One clear example that comes to my mind is Lugia. Some people say Lugia (as in Lujia, with the J spanish sound that doesn't exist in english), and others say Luguia (as in, well, you name it, Lugia, exactly the same as in english).
I blame it on the inconsistency of sounds in english.

I blame it on the inconsistency of sounds in english.
That too, but it's also a cultural thing. In Spain a lot of people is eager to laugh at others when they heard someone talking in english (or trying to correctly pronnounce something in english). It's something that nowadays is not as common, mostly due to the impact that Internet has had in our lives in terms of mixing cultures, but to my entire generation putting effort into pronnouncing (english) was understood as something typical of posh people. Idk if posh is the correct word, here we use "pijo", which refers to these kind of rich people that is always condescendent with others.

This is something that doesn't occur in latin america, and that's the reason why is so common to heard a mexican, for example, talking in perfect spanish, but when it comes to pronnounce someone's name (like idk, Clint Eastwood), you'll hear them changing their accent. If you do that here in Spain people will laugh at you, no questions asked. It's impossible that you can make it in front of people and no one will at least notice and telll you about it.

PS: After re-reading it, I've to clarify something. When I said this " In Spain a lot of people is eager to laugh at others when they heard someone talking in english" I wasn't refering to someone whos talking in english because thats their tongue. Not at all. I'm exclusively pointing at the spanish ppl. Spain is full of english speakers, mainly from the UK and no one laugh at them. That's not what I was talking about.

Last edited:
i used to pronounce houndour as ''hoon-duur'', not ''hauun-daehr''.
To be fair I don't know how well-known the word "dour" is, though its pronunciation is consistent with the similar "sour" and "hour" (but not with "four," "pour," and the also distinct "tour." English sucks).

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Apologies for bumping this thread, but I have a few myself.

Not exactly a weird pronunciation, per se, but I once thought Zebstrika was pronounced "ZEEB-strike-uh". Then I watched the anime, and learned that it's actually pronounced with a short e and with emphasis on strike, in other words, "Zehb-STRIKE-uh". I always found it weird that that was the correct pronunciation, since while that's what it logically should sound like at a glance, the name stems from zebra which in most places in the US is pronounced "Zee-bruh". More recently I then learned that countries outside the US, namely Europe, pronounce zebra as "Zeh-bruh". The more you know.

Also Ferroseed and Ferrothorn's "official" pronunciations threw me off when I heard them in the anime. I would pronounce Ferrothorn as "FAIR-oh-thorn" but the Pokedex 3D and the anime both pronounce it as "fur-RAH-thorn". That really throws me off, since the latter pronunciation isn't exactly intuitive, but the former is when you look at Ferroseed and Ferrothorn's names.

:bw/munna:
I used to pronounce this pink thing as MUN-na, until I found out it was pronounced MOON-na, and I was left a bit confused. It was pretty unexpected.

I had this one wrong for years. I always thought it was ray-kwa-zuh instead of ray-kway-zuh. I personally think the former sounds cooler but I guess that's incorrect.
Oh my god, really?! I thought it was pronounced ray-kwa-zah or something like that.

For those of you who are wondering on how to pronounce Naganadel:
Its name is a combination of Naga and Nadel (German name for Needle.)

Back in Ruby, I used to think its name was Groundon, because it’s a Ground type, and I called it that all the way into gen 4. I always said ray-kwaw-zuh until the movie pronounced it ray-kway-zuh. I’m glad to see I’m been pronouncing Naganadel correctly.

Now Zeraora I was saying wrong for a while. I thought it was zeh-RAOW-ra (middle syllable sounding like our) kind of like a cougar or other wild big cat roaring. tbh zair-uh-oar-uh still sounds weird to me.

Yee-vet-ALL. Didn’t see the first L for a while.

Is it uh-ZOOM-mare-ull or AH-zoo-MARE-ull like its prevo. I say the former.

I pronounced the g like in GIF (it’s not JIF don’t at me). Obviously I didn’t know what a sigil was.

speel

I’m pretty sure everyone calls it Obamasnow anyway.

NIH-hill-ee-go

ree-UN-kill-us. Not even close.

Soo-coon

MILL-oh-tik

RAH-ta-ta-ta. Added another syllable for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)