Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
What would happen in the eventuality that a pokemon with the same name as a CAP is introduced in a later generation?
Would there be a need to change the CAP's name?

What would happen in the eventuality that a pokemon with the same name as a CAP is introduced in a later generation?
Would there be a need to change the CAP's name?
Nintendo is certainly aware of Smogon and Showdown, as despite how popular these sites are, they somehow haven't been taken down by the ninjas yet, unlike seemingly every other fan project. Frankly, I find it baffling that we're still okay! But anyway, this means there's a good chance they know about CAP because of this. It's unlikely this would ever happen. And yes, I know about the old 4chan post containing Polteageist's name, but that was just a mention of it instead of a fully fledged fan-made mon.

Who would it be best to approach regarding an error in CAP 1v1 sets for the randomized meta? Miasmaw can currently be rolled with the move "firtimpression" (pretty evidently a typo) which can be kinda annoying.

Who would it be best to approach regarding an error in CAP 1v1 sets for the randomized meta? Miasmaw can currently be rolled with the move "firtimpression" (pretty evidently a typo) which can be kinda annoying.
Not a direct answer to your question, but the issue has been acknowledged here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...teak-promoted-to-co-lead.3663533/post-8704742
Birkal and MrDollSteak are the two co-leads, although I don't know if Birkal's recent retirement from the project also means they relinquished their role as CAP 1v1 lead. Either way, those would be the best people to approach, and there is a dedicated CAP 1v1 thread here as well

More of a question about the CAP forums themselves, but is there some reason for why reactions to posts aren’t implemented in here? Especially since there’s so many quality posts and good content here, it’s honestly confusing as to why we can’t express support or appreciation without posting ourselves (I know there’s a discord where I could express support/appreciation, but I’m just curious.)

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
More of a question about the CAP forums themselves, but is there some reason for why reactions to posts aren’t implemented in here? Especially since there’s so many quality posts and good content here, it’s honestly confusing as to why we can’t express support or appreciation without posting ourselves (I know there’s a discord where I could express support/appreciation, but I’m just curious.)
I think it's mainly to avoid bandwagoning and people voting completely based on the likes a post has. A lot of the time negative reacts are also a way to effortlessly disregard posts you dont agree with, and in a system like CAP where constructive discussion is key, it just feels unnecessary. The biggest negative of a lack of reacts that i can think of is that it kills the reaction score/post ratio of most avid contributers haha. Hopefully this answered your question!

EDIT: A PRC thread that covered this very topic, and ended in likes being disabled: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/disabling-likes.3522304/

Last edited:
What’s the proper formatting for a CAP idea proposal and is it any work shops or established users willing to help properly flesh out ideas ?

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
What’s the proper formatting for a CAP idea proposal and is it any work shops or established users willing to help properly flesh out ideas ?
Following the electing of the TL and TLT members, we open concept submissions for users to submit potential areas of exploration. Formatting for submissions will be provided in their respective threads. Be aware that concept submissions do have a number of limitations. You also cannot submit your own creations with predefined typings, abilities, stats, and moves.

This is the concept submission thread from last project. Feel free to look through here to get a general understanding of what is expected and the rules expected to be followed.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-28-part-1-concept-submissions.3668147/

For our current project, we are finalizing TL and TLT nominations. Voting will start shortly after nominations close and take a few days. After voting, concept submissions will open so keep an eye out for that in the coming week.

I mostly understand the guidelines for CAP concept submissions, but there's one rule I'm a little confused by: why is there a ban on suggesting a specific ability for the CAP? It doesn't seem much different from suggesting a specific move.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I mostly understand the guidelines for CAP concept submissions, but there's one rule I'm a little confused by: why is there a ban on suggesting a specific ability for the CAP? It doesn't seem much different from suggesting a specific move.
The difference is: by specifying an entire ability, a whole discussion (presumably primary ability and maybe secondary ability too) doesn’t happen. However, even if you specify a single move, you can still build out movesets and a movepool because you can add a lot more moves on a CAP.

Is there a list anywhere of CAP's by number? It would make it a little easier to navigate the archive. I understand that CAPs aren't named until near the end of the process, but I find it difficult to remember what mon, say CAP #22 is. The problem is slightly worsened by the BW CAPs re-using numbers, so there are two CAP #5s.

Can I use CAP Pokemon for my own project?
- Per DougJustDoug here:
I'd like to ask a clarification to that first point, about being "affiliated with another online Pokemon community". Our project will be using Pokengine to display our dex, is that enough of an affiliation to disqualify using a mon under this rule? Even if it were paired with linkback? Under this rule, could the project have the affiliation just without the mon in question in the public-facing dex on-site?

EDIT: This is no longer relevant to this particular project as the main dev has now decided against including CAPmons but it's definitely worth clarifying anyway because it's a weirdly confusing clause and it being from a 9-year old post definitely doesn't help.

Last edited:
Have there been any CAP projects or anything similar for Gen 3? I want to theory craft some stuff and I am curious to see what other players would do with an opportunity like that

Have there been any CAP projects or anything similar for Gen 3? I want to theory craft some stuff and I am curious to see what other players would do with an opportunity like that
There have been no CAP projects like this. We build CAPs for the current CAP metagame, so a concept like this wouldn't exactly fly during concept submissions.

Why are custom elements no longer allowed in CAP processes? They even seem to be blacklisted from the pre-evolution processes (see Colossoil's prevo). I'm just curious about why this is no longer the case.

Why are custom elements no longer allowed in CAP processes? They even seem to be blacklisted from the pre-evolution processes (see Colossoil's prevo). I'm just curious about why this is no longer the case.
As the generations have progressed, GameFreak has provided more and more options available to Pokemon. In order to best explore the metagame and Pokemon creation, it was decided in an old Policy Review (found here, for abilities) to no longer use custom elements when we have so many options we can pull from. Custom elements also serve to add a greater barrier of entry to new players playing CAP, which already adds 30 new semi- to very viable Pokemon to the mix. It also prevents the project from looking like a fanboy project.

The old custom elements remain implemented on the gen4 CAPs (Rebound, Mountaineer, Shadow Strike, Paleo Wave) as artifacts of CAP history, but that's it.

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
hey I'm planning on making a CAP project but I'm too scared of posting it at the wrong place. can you reply the link?
Hi! The CAP project is a community effort, so this is not the place to post your own creations. We are currently in the process of making CAP 29 and you are more than welcome to contribute to it.

So I just wanna ask, where can I find the full summary and dex entries of all the CAP Pokémon?
For all of the fully evolved CAPs, you can find a summary of and dex entries for them via their Final Product threads, which are compiled in EnCAPlopedia. It is currently missing Miasmaw, whose final product thread is here. You may also find https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com helpful.
The pre-evolutions are more scattered; https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com has the most complete list, but it doesn't have the pre-evolutions that have not been given movepools yet. You may be better off looking for Final Product threads in the CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop subforum if you can't find them linked in the EnCAPlopedia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)