Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And the Alola gang doesnt have titles at all, since their whole shtick works differently.
Not in the main games... BUT Masters EX may have given them a suitable equivalent. Many of the Gym Leader's Sync Moves usually use either a bit of their Gym Titles or something they notably said. So, going by that logic, we have:

Ilima: (Not Yet In Masters EX)
Lana: Seaside Sister
Kiawe: Fire Dance
Mallow: Bold-Flavored
Sophocles: Whiz Kid
Acerola: (Sync Move is called "Never-Ending Royal Nightmare")
Mina: Wandering Artist
Hala: (Not Yet In Masters EX)
Olivia: Shining Gem
Nanu: Dark Authority
Hapu: Ultimately Worthy

This also of course means that any Elite Four member and Champion may now alos have a suitable equivalent title. Unfortunately, for the two trainers that only appear as members of Alola Elite Four, Kahili and Molayne, they still don't get one rather just having a word added to the end of beginning of the Z-Move of the Type that they specialize in.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Should I use Ralts or Abra or both in Emerald? I'm pretty sure I can't trade so I can't evolve Abra to Alakazam, maybe I'll find out a way though.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Should I use Ralts or Abra or both in Emerald? I'm pretty sure I can't trade so I can't evolve Abra to Alakazam, maybe I'll find out a way though.
Not sure if this question fits this thread to begin with, but to answer you, it's really up to you. Kadabra is okay enough to get by if you reallly want to use it, but Ralts is an excellent team pick in Emerald, with the main issue being how rare it is to find. If you can find one though Ralts is absolutely worth it, it's a pain to train early on but once you evolve it all the way to Gardevoir it's an excellent Pokemon to use and is bar none one of the best options for an in-game playthrough out there. Just keep in mind you will have to be very committed in the process of raising it because Ralts and Kirlia are pretty darn weak.

Still though, it's really up to you either way. If you can't trade then Kadabra is probably a less compelling choice than Gardevoir, even though it's not terrible on its own, but in that case I'd probably say Gardevoir is better. One big thing Garde has going for it over Kadabra/Alakazam is Thunderbolt, which Kadabra can't learn (for whatever reason) which gives Garde some extra nifty coverage, and very late in the game it also has Hypnosis to induce sleep (albeit highly inaccurate). So I'd lean towards Gardevoir overall.

Kadabra is much faster and only slightly weaker than Gardevoir, and it also sounds much easier to switch-train something from level 7/8 up to level 16 than it does to drag something with worse stats than Unown from level 4 all the way up to level 30.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Not sure if this question fits this thread to begin with, but to answer you, it's really up to you. Kadabra is okay enough to get by if you reallly want to use it, but Ralts is an excellent team pick in Emerald, with the main issue being how rare it is to find. If you can find one though Ralts is absolutely worth it, it's a pain to train early on but once you evolve it all the way to Gardevoir it's an excellent Pokemon to use and is bar none one of the best options for an in-game playthrough out there. Just keep in mind you will have to be very committed in the process of raising it because Ralts and Kirlia are pretty darn weak.

Still though, it's really up to you either way. If you can't trade then Kadabra is probably a less compelling choice than Gardevoir, even though it's not terrible on its own, but in that case I'd probably say Gardevoir is better. One big thing Garde has going for it over Kadabra/Alakazam is Thunderbolt, which Kadabra can't learn (for whatever reason) which gives Garde some extra nifty coverage, and very late in the game it also has Hypnosis to induce sleep (albeit highly inaccurate). So I'd lean towards Gardevoir overall.
Kadabra is much faster and only slightly weaker than Gardevoir, and it also sounds much easier to switch-train something from level 7/8 up to level 16 than it does to drag something with worse stats than Unown from level 4 all the way up to level 30.
Thanks! Abra basically just sat around with the XP Share until lvl 16 (which happened about an hour ago) so I guess I'm slapping it back on Ralts until it gets Psychic.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello there, person or people who is reading this post. I actually have a pretty special question, so to speak. Special for an occasion, I mean. I couldn't decide where (or when, for that matter) to ask, so if you don't mind I'll just drop this question down here.

So basically what's happening is that I've got my third anniversary of joining the Smogon Forums coming up, and Orange Islands is without question the place I post the most. It might as well be the only forum I post on, actually, bar a few things in Past Gens OU threads on rare occasions. The issue with this in particular is that 2021 was a very hard year for me as far as remaining a Pokémon fan goes. Late 2018 and 2021 were both by far my lowest points of interest in the Pokémon franchise as a whole, and in an effort to rekindle some of my old passion for this franchise, I want to celebrate my third full year on the forums here in OI if at all possible.

Now for the question itself. You know the story now, but I'm looking for ideas of a thread to start in October about this. I want to start something that will hopefully stick with me for a while, and still keep in mind all of the thread posting rules and mod regulations. Does anyone here have any ideas? I'll take all the help I can get with this one, so thank you very much in advance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Now for the question itself. You know the story now, but I'm looking for ideas of a thread to start in October about this. I want to start something that will hopefully stick with me for a while, and still keep in mind all of the thread posting rules and mod regulations. Does anyone here have any ideas? I'll take all the help I can get with this one, so thank you very much in advance.
Hm, first question, what Pokemon games do you own? Second, in those games, how far did you get into completing the Battle Facility/Facilities in it? Because one likely long term project you can try to do and then make a thread on (with a "Challenge" or maybe "Let's Play" prefix) is trying to "complete" each Battle Facility in all the games you have. If you want to add an additional layer to it, limit yourself to a group/theme of Pokemon you can only use.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Hm, first question, what Pokemon games do you own? Second, in those games, how far did you get into completing the Battle Facility/Facilities in it? Because one likely long term project you can try to do and then make a thread on (with a "Challenge" or maybe "Let's Play" prefix) is trying to "complete" each Battle Facility in all the games you have. If you want to add an additional layer to it, limit yourself to a group/theme of Pokemon you can only use.
I have every game from Generations 4 through 7, as well as Let’s Go Pikachu and Sword. I also have the VC versions of a few games on my 2DS.

This challenge would like work the best with one of the games that has a Battle Frontier included in it, and while I love this idea, part of the question remains: do I start a new save file and play through everything, or do I play through the game and only talk about the battle facilities?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I have every game from Generations 4 through 7, as well as Let’s Go Pikachu and Sword. I also have the VC versions of a few games on my 2DS.

This challenge would like work the best with one of the games that has a Battle Frontier included in it, and while I love this idea, part of the question remains: do I start a new save file and play through everything, or do I play through the game and only talk about the battle facilities?
Alright, so if you want to take my suggestion, your challenge would be this:

Platinum/HGSS (whatever one): Battle Frontier
B2W2: Battle Subway & Pokemon World Tournament (maybe also PokeStar Studios & Black Tower/White Treehollow)
XY/ORAS (whatever one): Battle Maison
USUM: Battle Tree
Let's Go: Master Trainers?
Sword: Battle Tower

You can do another playthrough for each if you like, but it's not required for my suggestion. Infact, unless you can put an interesting twist, I honestly would say skip it (unless you want to make the challenge of trying to beat the Battle Facilities using at least the species of Pokemon you caught during like a Nuzlocke playthrough or something).

Alright, so if you want to take my suggestion, your challenge would be this:

Platinum/HGSS (whatever one): Battle Frontier
B2W2: Battle Subway & Pokemon World Tournament (maybe also PokeStar Studios & Black Tower/White Treehollow)
XY/ORAS (whatever one): Battle Maison
USUM: Battle Tree
Let's Go: Master Trainers?
Sword: Battle Tower

You can do another playthrough for each if you like, but it's not required for my suggestion. Infact, unless you can put an interesting twist, I honestly would say skip it (unless you want to make the challenge of trying to beat the Battle Facilities using at least the species of Pokemon you caught during like a Nuzlocke playthrough or something).
If you have the ability to migrate the team members forward, you might make it a battle facility "ribbon" challenge for one singles team through all the games, then talk about what felt different between the facilities as you progress. Limits team-building but it's an idea.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
If you have the ability to migrate the team members forward, you might make it a battle facility "ribbon" challenge for one singles team through all the games, then talk about what felt different between the facilities as you progress. Limits team-building but it's an idea.
Actually, now that I think about it, both Platinum and HGSS have access to a Battle Frontier and ribbons. Whether or not this means anything has yet to be seen. I’m loving this idea more and more as we go, although the tight time frame to play through one of these games again is rather annoying given my busy schedule at school this week.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Has it been confirmed anywhere that bdsp will be playable on the switch lite? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and if I sound paranoid. I don't wanna spend a couple hundred bucks and only end up being able to play swsh

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed anywhere that bdsp will be playable on the remakes? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and if I sound paranoid. I don't wanna spend a couple hundred bucks and only end up being able to play swsh
I don't know if I understand the question

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Has it been confirmed anywhere that bdsp will be playable on the remakes? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and if I sound paranoid. I don't wanna spend a couple hundred bucks and only end up being able to play swsh
If you mean the Nintendo Switch, then yes BDSP are being released for this console.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
For future reference you should assume all games on the Switch are available on the Switch Lite. As far as I know, the Switch Lite is just the Switch (and Switch OLED) without docking/tv play.
Also unable to attach the joy-cons, which for some early Switch Games make them almost if not unplayable on the Lite. Here's a list.

However I think newer games are pretty much all playable on Lite, likely because the Lite now exists. Modes where you detach the Joy-cons are likely now just a bonus feature rather than a required feature as they were before, as if the fate with console gimmicks.

Also unable to attach the joy-cons, which for some early Switch Games make them almost if not unplayable on the Lite. Here's a list.

However I think newer games are pretty much all playable on Lite, likely because the Lite now exists. Modes where you detach the Joy-cons are likely now just a bonus feature rather than a required feature as they were before, as if the fate with console gimmicks.
Oh yeah that's true. But to be fair, the only ones that flat out don't work are stuff like Super Mario Party...and 1-2 Switch.

Also I can't be the only one who played a majority of Mario Odyssey in handheld? The article says it bogs the experience down but I think playing Mario in your depression bed is more than enough to make up for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)