Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

Mr. Rime

View attachment 425138

"Mr. Rime is highly skilled in tap dancing and waves its ice cane while it moves gracefully."

Mr. Rime's StatsPotential Stat Total (EV Investment)
HP:
270 - 364
Attack:
157 - 295
Defense:
139 - 273
Sp. Atk:
202 - 350
Sp. Def:
184 - 328
Speed:
130 - 262

"Mala, for the sake of my sanity, please stop talking about PU and ZU Pokemon in Overused; I beg of you. You've been doing this for years; please get a hobby, so we don't have to read this crap." - Half of Smogon, probably, idk.

On a non-comedic note (or possibly still comedic, it's pretty funny to think about Mr. Rime having OU use), Mr. Rime has been one of my favorite Pokemon to slot on my OU teams for the last month. I've been using three specific sets (I will explain the functionality of each of the three), and they each fit onto specific team archetypes quite well. So why does Mr. Rime dance its way into the competition within OU's insane power crept landscape? Simple; a vast movepool with significant role compression alongside an excellent offensive typing and a stat combination that's deceptively flexible. First, I will talk about Mr. Rime's unique qualities; then, we'll jump into the three sets I have frequently used. While these three sets aren't the only sets of Mr. Rime's that I have tested, they are the only ones I have EXTENSIVELY tested and thus will be the only sets I will talk about here (I will give a special mention to Trick Room variants right here, but more testing needs to be done overall). Afterward, I'll talk about partners that I've been using for Mr. Rime, and the types of benefits that they bring to the table regarding team synergy and core builds.
View attachment 425139

Unique Qualities:

Screen Cleaner

This unique ability (exclusive to Mr. Rime and its pre-evolution) instantly removes Aurora Veil, Light Screen, and Reflect's effects upon switching in. This ability eases the burden of prediction against Screens / Veil teams, creating potential offensive openings for you and your team and giving Pokemon that wouldn't be able to muscle through screens-protected teams a chance to clean house. It also puts innate pressure on your opponent, who now has to rethink damage calculations and their team switch dynamics entirely.

Support Move Variety + Role Compression

Being able to dismantle Screens and Aurora Veil instantly is not Mr. Rime's only strength. Mr. Rime has access to reliable recovery in Slack Off, the ability to get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin, and the ability to cripple an opposing threat with Encore or Trick. In addition to these fantastic choices, Mr. Rime has access to additional support options such as Calm Mind, Fake Out, Foul Play, Nasty Plot, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Trick Room. If you desire, it can also set up its own screens as it has access to Light Screen and Reflect.

Offensive Profile + Output

Mr. Rime's offensive typing is fantastic in OU, with its Ice / Psychic STABS hitting the following OU staples super effectively: Buzzwole, Dragapult, Dragonite (4x), Garchomp (4x), Hawlucha, Landorus-Therian (4x), Rillaboom, Tornadus-Therian, Toxapex, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Zapdos-Galar. In addition, its two best coverage moves, Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, allow Mr. Rime to nail Barraskewda, Corviknight, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Volcanion (Thunderbolt) and Bisharp (4x), Ferrothorn, Heatran, Kartana, Magnezone, Melmetal, Tyranitar, and Weavile (Focus Blast) for super effective damage.

Mr. Rime's solid base 110 Special Attack with 252 EVs and a Modest nature reaches a respectable 350, which allows it to hit some crucial damage benchmarks with its STAB moves. Here are some specific examples:
View attachment 425139
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 476-564 (113.8 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 366-432 (115.4 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 386-456 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 314-372 (86.7 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 212-252 (69.7 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 434-512 (127.2 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO​

In addition to this, Thunderbolt as a coverage option is robust, accurate, and hits some pretty impressive thresholds, even without STAB.
View attachment 425139
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Barraskewda: 332-392 (126.2 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 198-234 (49.6 - 58.6%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Volcanion: 208-246 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

Focus Blast is notoriously unreliable due to its accuracy. Still, it's an excellent coverage move in terms of power that hits a wide variety of Pokemon for powerful, super effective damage.
View attachment 425139
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 680-804 (250.9 - 296.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 166-196 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 242-286 (74.9 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 314-370 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 280-330 (99.2 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Mr. Rime does have additional offensive movepool options. For example, Energy Ball or Grass Knot could be used instead of Thunderbolt to still reach the same damage thresholds against Barraskewda and Slowbro while also being able to hit Pokemon such as Swampert (although I've found that Thunderbolt is generally the better option). Likewise, Freeze-Dry instead of Ice Beam would be used to compress handling Water types into a single slot, potentially allowing you to use a more specific coverage or support move. Still, the power difference between Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry is an annoying trade-off. Additional coverage options include Dazzling Gleam (repetitive coverage, but does allow you to hit Dark types super effectively), Foul Play (will enable you to hit Mew, Victini, the Lati Twins, and Alakazam super effectively, but should only be used if you need help with those Pokemon), and Shadow Ball (repetitive coverage, but does allow you to hit Ghost types super effectively). Finally, Thunder is also an option over Thunderbolt if you're running Mr. Rime on a rain team for higher power, a notably increased chance to paralyze, and 100% accuracy.

Defensive Profile (Typing + Stats)

While Ice and Psychic defensively only give you resistance to Ice and Psychic-type attacks, that's not the beauty of Mr. Rime's defensive profile. To start, Mr. Rime has a critical neutrality to Fighting-type attacks that other Ice types would kill for, courtesy of its secondary Psychic typing. Second, Mr. Rime's defensive stats of 80 / 75 / 100 are solid (especially with proper EV investment), particularly its special bulk. (I'll go into specific defensive damage calculations once we start talking about individual sets, as the context of the calculations won't make sense without the set explanations). Third, movepool-wise, Mr. Rime's access to Slack Off means that defensive variants and overall sustainability are significantly heightened. Finally, Mr. Rime's typing means that several common archetypes within OU play to Mr. Rime's favor. For example, Mr. Rime functions well on and against Hail teams, as it is not passively worn down by Hail damage. In addition, Mr. Rime operates well on and against Rain teams, as not only does it eliminate Mr. Rime's Fire type weakness (allowing it to breathe more easily against Pokemon like Heatran, Volcanion, and Volcarona), but it allows Mr. Rime to utilize Thunder as a coverage option reliably.

It also works well under each set terrain from Rillaboom and the Tapus. Grassy Terrain gives Mr. Rime passive recovery, halves Earthquake's damage against its more squishy Physical defensive profile, and boosts the damage of two of Mr. Rime's more fringe coverage options by 30% (Energy Ball / Grass Knot). Electric Terrain prevents Mr. Rime from being put to sleep and boosts the power of Mr. Rime's very usable coverage options by 30% (Thunderbolt / Thunder). Misty Terrain gives Mr. Rime an immunity to status and halves damage from Dragon moves against it, allowing some unexpected potential switch-in opportunities. Finally, Psychic Terrain boosts Mr. Rime's STAB Psychic's power by an additional 30% and prevents Mr. Rime from being hit by priority moves (especially notable for priority moves that are super effective against Mr. Rime like Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch). Speaking of priority, Mr. Rime is one of the few Ice types that has a neutrality to Mach Punch, in addition to the already existing benefit of resisting priority Ice Shard. On top of this, Mr. Rime resists Future Sight, meaning that it's an excellent answer to Slowtwins Future Sight spam (along with being able to chunk Slowbro and Slowking with Thunderbolt).

Movesets

Scarf Screens Negator Mr. Rime
View attachment 425146
Mr. Rime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Screen Cleaner
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Trick
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin (I prefer Focus Blast)​

This is tied with the Assault Vest Spinner set as my favorite Mr. Rime set. With 176 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Mr. Rime reaches a respectable speed stat of 363, allowing it to outspeed base 60 Speed Timid Scarf users such as Magnezone and Tyranitar (both of which don't appreciate taking a Focus Blast). 363 Speed will also allow Mr. Rime to outspeed the majority of OU unboosted, with the exceptions of Weavile and Dragapult (who you don't want to keep or switch Mr. Rime in on anyways), Regieleki, Zeraora, and Timid Tornadus-Therian (Torn-T needs at least 212 EVs with a speed boosting nature, Modest/non-speed boosting nature variants are always outsped regardless of EV investment). The rest of the EVs are pumped into Special Attack, Special Defense, and a little bit into HP to reach specific defensive benchmarks. The specific Special Defense EV allotment also allows Mr. Rime to avoid being OHKO'd, and 2HKO'd by particular threats.

252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 242-288 (79.8 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 120-142 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 252-296 (83.1 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 135-159 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

Mr. Rime's role as a scarfer is unique because it's the only scarfer in OU that does not care about screens being up thanks to Screen Cleaner, meaning things are generally more squishy. The offensive combination of STAB Psychic, STAB Ice Beam, and Focus Blast is enough to hit most of OU super effectively. In addition, having Trick allows Mr. Rime to cripple an opposing threat once its usefulness as an offensive scarfer has run out. Mr. Rime utilizing a Timid nature does not affect its damage output too much, as it still gets most OHKOs and 2HKOs that the Modest variant gets (especially with a little bit of chip damage).

Assault Vest Spinner + Screens Negator Mr. Rime
View attachment 425147
Mr. Rime @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt / Focus Blast (I prefer Thunderbolt for this set)
- Psychic​

As I mentioned above, this set is tied with the Scarf set for my favorite Mr. Rime set. Do you want to know precisely how well Mr. Rime can take a hit on the Special side with an Assault Vest? Let's look at some calculations (first super effective STAB choice specs calculations for emphasis, then neutral attacks to bring the point home).

Super Effective STAB Choice Specs Hits:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 218-258 (60 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 288-338 (79.3 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 320-380 (88.1 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Neutral Hits:

0 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 86-101 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- 78.3% chance to 4HKO
+2 4 Def Mew Body Press vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 147-173 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 58-69 (15.9 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 177-208 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 55-66 (15.1 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime in Electric Terrain: 102-121 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 154-183 (42.4 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
168+ Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 98-116 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Mr. Rime has many switch-in opportunities and is one of the few Assault Vest Pokemon that can be used for utility thanks to Screen Cleaner and Rapid Spin (which also boosts Mr. Rime's speed, giving it an edge against specific defensive stalwarts). Thanks to the calculations above, you already know the power output with the Modest variant. This Mr. Rime variant especially appreciates Wish support to offset the lack of recovery and Stealth Rock damage. Still, given that, as shown from the damage calculations, Mr. Rime can easily take some special hits (and even physical in some cases), it's not as much of an issue as you would believe. Generally, this specific type of role compression is well suited for teams looking for a way to break Slowcores that also have problems with Special Attackers, who also want to condense handling screens and hazards into a single slot.

Heavy-Duty Boots Spinner + Screens Negator Mr. Rime

Mr. Rime @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Freeze-Dry
- Psychic​

This set compresses the longevity of Slack Off, the screen dismantling of Screen Cleaner, and the hazard cleaning of Rapid Spinning onto a single set. Rapid Spin's speed boost is even more relevant here thanks to the additional speed EVs, and this set ignores the problems of hazard damage with Heavy-Duty Boots. The loss of coverage can suck, but the potent offensive combination of STAB Ice Beam and STAB Psychic is not lacking. If you have an issue with water types such as Toxapex, or the Slowtwins, you can instead take a slight power cut to use Freeze-Dry, which is viable on this set in particular due to the lack of access to Thunderbolt. It's the most simple of the movesets, but it's also the most efficient and is more suited to a general blend of teams than the other two mentioned above are.

Great Partners:

Landorus-Therian helps cushion the blow against Mr. Rime's more vulnerable physical side thanks to Intimidate. Landorus-T's Ground / Flying typing has excellent synergy with Mr. Rime's Ice / Psychic typing. Landorus-T can also set up Rocks, cripple a Pokemon using Knock Off, and gain momentum with U-Turn. This combination of tools helps wear the opposing Pokemon down and bring them into Rime range. Not to mention powerful STAB Earthquakes work pretty well offensively, taking care of Fire, Rock, and Steel types that Mr. Rime (non-Focus Blast variants for the last two) would have issues handling.

Physically defensive Toxapex variants (especially with Rocky Helmet) are a fantastic partner to Mr. Rime. They punish physical attackers who would try to come in and prey on Mr. Rime's weaker physical defensive profile. Additionally, having access to Regenerator with Recover keeps Toxapex alive and has Scald to possibly cripple a physical attacker for the rest of the match.

While all of the Tapus make excellent partners, I want to specifically mention Tapu Lele because of the power boost it gives to Mr. Rime's STAB Psychic and the immunity Mr. Rime gains to priority moves. Additionally, utilizing Specs Lele with Scarf Rime is a potent combination that should be considered, as pairing the two allows for specific coverage options (like alternating Focus Blast or Thunderbolt) to be switched between the two of them for even more unpredictability, opening up room on each of their movesets for more specialized options.

Magnezone is another fantastic choice for a Mr. Rime partner, thanks to Magnezone's ability to trap Steel types. The combination is beneficial for playing mind games; as soon as Magnezone is shown in the team preview, your opponent will be more cautious about throwing their Melmetal out into the fray.

Conclusion

Mr. Rime is a uniquely quirky Pokemon with the qualities needed to make it work well in OU. Are there Pokemon that can do its team tasks better? Sure. Are there Pokemon who can compress its unique traits into one team slot while simultaneously exerting offensive pressure? Not likely. Mr. Rime won't fit onto every team archetype. Still, thanks to its vast movepool and very beneficial qualities both offensively and defensively, Mr. Rime is worth consideration as a unique, unexpected, and highly flexible option for your OU teams.

Thank you for reading, everyone!

View attachment 425145

"I suppose that’s one of the ironies of life – doing the wrong thing at the right moment."
- Charlie Chaplin
Thank you all for the warm reception for my Mr. Rime post. I accidentally left out some crucial information on the first draft, so it's in there now! I wanted to take this opportunity to ask how a lot of you feel about some general aspects of the OU metagame to promote some additional healthy discussion! Just the usual three-question prompt I like to post shortly after one of my mega-huge posts.

Question #1: What do you feel is a synergistic type combination/core that works well in the meta lately?

Question #2: Are there any unconventional sets on OU Pokemon working wonders for your team? Are there any sub-OU Pokemon that you feel have fulfilled your team's specific needs quite well?

Question #3: Is there a specific offensive type that you feel the meta is disproportionately weak to right now? (Examples; Ice, Ghost, Fire, etc.)

Question #1: What do you feel is a synergistic type combination/core that works well in the meta lately?

Question #2: Are there any unconventional sets on OU Pokemon working wonders for your team? Are there any sub-OU Pokemon that you feel have fulfilled your team's specific needs quite well?

Question #3: Is there a specific offensive type that you feel the meta is disproportionately weak to right now? (Examples; Ice, Ghost, Fire, etc.)
1. Part of what makes current team building a challenge is not only the power level of individual threats, but just how good certain 2 and 3 mon cores can be. Buzzwole+Slowbro/kanto King is a basic bulky two mon core that I've been getting good mileage from for example. Apologies that I don't have a more extensive write-up prepared for this one.

2. Some random boots sets, Expanding Force Blacephalon/Glowking+Tapu Lele, Phys Pult, Nature Power Heatran, some random EV spreads, nothing extremely crazy on my end. Sub "OU" mons that have been good to me include Mamoswine, Gengar, Mandibuzz, Rotom-W, and Nihiligo (probably forgetting a few). I think a lot of the mons that are Borderline and slightly lower could break into OU usage rates at some point, it's just heavily dependent on meta trends. See below....

3. Ghost Spam. Gengar, Blace, and Pult (I don't really use Aegislash so I'm not going to talk about it) all hit pretty hard at great speed tiers, they all can run a range of dangerous sets that are not only inherently hard to counter, but they each have options that destroy many of their traditional counters. Because of their frailty they naturally slot very well on bulky offense teams who can create so many free openings for them to come in and click ghost stabs. With Tyranitar lacking good recovery, Hydreigon and Mandibuzz present themselves as the best sustaining defensive dark types to check ghost offense, but even Hydreigon needs to be very careful against Dragapult. Blissey is the best non-dark counter to them, but it can't wall the physical Pult sets, and it's also slow pink Taunt/Trick fodder for the other two ghosts. Other SpDef spongers can get overwhelmed by the ghosts themselves, or any breaker they pair themselves with to compliment their typing.

Outside of that I think the Psychic/Electric terrain user+Expanding Force/Rising Voltage user combinations have the ability to muscle through a lot of their non-immune checks. Krookodile tips his shades.

Last edited:

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
Thank you all for the warm reception for my Mr. Rime post. I accidentally left out some crucial information on the first draft, so it's in there now! I wanted to take this opportunity to ask how a lot of you feel about some general aspects of the OU metagame to promote some additional healthy discussion! Just the usual three-question prompt I like to post shortly after one of my mega-huge posts.

1. Gzap+ Electric. I've had a lot of fun with a core of GZapdos + Zeraora, and also Gzapdos + Koko. The electrics can lure Landorus and other grounds that Zap can capitalize on, and Zap struggles with bulky Water- and Flying- Types (also steels if locked into Bbird), which the Electrics can switch in on and threaten out. They can also form an extremely threatening VoltTurn core with eachother. Lots of synergy there.

2. SubCM keldeo. Its a super strong wincon in the lategame, and even though it seems like it would lose to something like Kanto Slowking, since it only runs fs as its psychic move Keldeo actually comes out on top. There's not a lot of mons that can switch into a boosted keldeo, and it can set up on a lot. SubCM primarina is another mon that does something like that too.
Another mon on my list of stupid lower tier mons that no one uses so no one prepares for is Haxorus! With its extremely high attack stat and mold breaker, it rips through stall, rips through offensive teams, rips through everything. It can run double dance with SD and DD (dd on offensive teams, sd vs defensive) and either clean up or freaking bust down any wall. It might not be as strong as something like Kartana, but its outrages can even outdamage kart because of its much higher BP compared to Leaf Blade. It is a wallbreaker of catastrophic proportions, because its mold breaker eqs rip through even bold unaware clef. It doesn't care about anything, it will just rip through you with no warning. Its big, strong, and has no second plan.
3. Fairy is such a strong offensive type as of right now. Most teams are disproportionately preparing for the offensive Ghost- and Dark- Types (lookin at u weavile and pult) that a lot of teams don't actually account for the offensive Fairy-Types like LO koko and Specs / Scarf Lele. Lele especially is super strong as an attacker, and I've been messing around with Lele with mag support, and goddamn. Everything drops. Fairyspam in the current meta is probably just as good of an archetype as ghostspam is.

Last edited:

Going to answer 1 and 2 at once

I've been messing around with Gastro + Ferro in place of my usual Ferro + Chomp cores and it's quite nice. While you do lose spikes as rocks + spikes on ferro is not that good and Gastro somehow doesnt get the funny pebbles, in turn you get a special wall that has a lot more longevity and can fish for scald burns if needed.

vs :dragapult:
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 135-159 (31.6 - 37.3%) -- 84.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 217-256 (50.9 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs :tapu-lele:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 190-225 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gastrodon in Psychic Terrain: 348-409 (81.6 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs :volcanion:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 132-156 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 67.5% chance to 3HKO

vs :volcarona:
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 186-219 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO

vs :blacephalon:
252 SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 120-142 (28.1 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 178-211 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

vs :zapdos:
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 144-169 (33.8 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Lele psyshock still smokes it and it takes significant damage from specs variants, and the occasional giga drain volcarona is also a large issue for the slug, so it doesn't quite cover the entirety of the special attacking metagame. However, Water/Ground is a really nice defensive typing with an immunity to Electric, resisting Rocks, Fire and Steel is really nice, and Gastro also gets a water immunity to completely stop Volcanion and be a thorn in the side of Rain teams (altho it has to be careful around Barraskewda's CC).

It does have less offensive presence than Chomp does, even if the latter is running the tank build. It's also less good as an emergency switch to physical attackers since Chomp gets Rough Skin if it's really neccesary for chip. Gastro + Ferro does have some holes that need to patched up by the rest of the team, such as a switch-in to Fighting types like Urshifu or GZap, and having your water type take neutral damage from Ice is also not ideal in a meta where Weavile is everywhere. Gastro shouldnt really be your weavile switch though.

I found that Washtom is a pretty decent complement to the two, being able to offer Defog and WoW utility as well as offering a ground immunity thanks to levitate, and pivoting options with volt switch. Other good options include Torn or Zap for similar reasons, and those 3 mons provide a good defensive backbone to stick your offensive mons onto.

I figured I'd try starting a discussion regarding the UUBL mons' places in OU currently, since I feel like there's a lot to talk about regarding some of them. I know "UUBL" doesn't necessarily mean "Viable in OU," but I feel like many of these have a genuine place in the meta worth talking about while some, bar one, really do have some possible place that is just hard to justify currently.

The Obviously Good UUBL Mons; OU in Every Way but Usage Alone:

:arctozolt: never really got the high OU usage its partner in crime, Icy Rock Alolan Ninetales, ever saw even when Hail was at its peak. Hail is not at its peak anymore, but to deny that Hail is a genuinely solid weather archetype still would be incorrect even as Sand and Rain are on the rise. BoltBeam coverage is good on its own, but Arctozolt's STAB BoltBeam coverage, extremely high-powered moves, good coverage options, and solid Speed under Hail make it a very legitimate part of the OU metagame even now.

:moltres-galar: is another mon that most folks would accept is a legitimate part of OU despite not being OU by usage. It recently got banned from UU for being downright oppressive there, and a lot of what it did down in UU at the time translates well here except Light Clay isn't banned. It's a staple of Screens HO teams due to its great bulk, amazing coverage, good typing, and various setup moves including its own Ability playing into it. This mon has been a part of some HO teams from even back when Rillaboom was still considered a top threat, and right now I'd argue that Moltres-G is at its best in a while and could even see some improvement from here. Dark/Flying is the best offensive typing to be amazing defensively, and despite its lack of reliable recovery Moltres-G leverages it well to give the HO teams it occasionally finds its way onto a mon with a very unorthodox defensive typing by HO standards.

:blaziken: isn't quite at the level of Arctozolt or G-Moltres, but it's still a very threatening mon on HO teams under the right conditions as it can run options to muscle past its checks, albeit at the cost of other coverage options. It's the definition of a true glass cannon, as it dies with ease (it often gets itself killed by its own recoil from Flare Blitz and Life Orb), but nobody can deny that Blaziken played well is an extremely dangerous sweeper that can cleave through a weakened team quite easily. Hell, this thing generally reaches borderline-OU levels of usage here and there.

:hawlucha: isn't quite as amazing as it once was, but it still has its place on specific types of HO, often supported by a Tapu (generally Koko) or Rillaboom. It's one of the fastest mons in the tier after Unburden kicks in, outpacing everything up to and including Jolly Sand Rush Excadrill under Sand and being outsped only by the likes of +1 positive-Speed-natured Dragapult and Swift Swim Barraskewda. It's an offensive mon that can often give opposing offenses hell under the right conditions, but it hates the popularity of Zapdos right now as it has to go out of its way to fit coverage to deal with Zapdos without getting hit by Static and crippled. Moreover, at +2, it sometimes barely misses out on KOs it wishes it could get. Lastly, its weakness to the common Weavile Ice Shard limits its ability to sweep if chipped. Its STABs are good, and it has options, but it suffers from intense 4MSS and just sometimes isn't as strong as one would like it to be.

The UUBL Mons whose Niches Exist:

Sand may be on the rise at the moment, but :dracozolt: is left in the dust. On paper, it has solid STABs, good mixed offenses, decent Speed, a decent set of resistances, and good coverage in Fire Blast/Low Kick to give opposing teams hell. In practice, though, Dracozolt just hates SpDef Lando-T's existence as it just can't muscle past Lando-T easily with Draco Meteor/Bolt Beak. Grounds are everywhere, and they make Bolt Beak much less spammable when its mediocre Dragon STAB is what accompanies it instead of Arctozolt's terrifying Blizzards. It's weak to Weavile's Ice Shard, it's slow outside of Sand, and it stacks Ground weaknesses with TTar and Excadrill when those mons already stack several common weaknesses. It's... just hard to justify Dracozolt right now, and I'm not sure what this mon's next big break will be, if anything.

:kommo-o: has a legitimately unique defensive set that leverages Bulletproof and its unique defensive typing alongside a strong Body Press and good coverage options with the mixed attacking stats to go with it. It's a decent, unique Rocker as a result; that said, it has plenty of other unique sets (Belly Drum/Salac Berry, DD, Clangorous Soul, perhaps Specs?) that sound good but probably aren't as good in practice. Still, if there's any mon that has a diverse enough kit to experiment with some other sets it's probably this thing.

:alakazam: has its place on specific Psychic Spam teams; Zam is one of the most min/maxed mons out there, with painful frailty but massive offensive potential with what it does have. It was Unranked on the VR until recently, but now folks seem to be playing to its strengths, albeit on very specific teams that enable it.

:latios: and :latias: both got a lot of cool new moves this gen, but they're having a hard time in such a fast-paced metagame where mons like Weavile, SpDef Lando, and Dragapult are quite prominent. Latios recently saw some tournament usage with a cool Scarf set with Aura Sphere, Trick, Defog, and Psychic (everything Dragapult can't do) while Latias has a unique Weakness Policy set with CM, Agility, Stored Power, and Aura Sphere (something I'd imagine Latios is also capable of using), but this feels like a mostly-worse Galarian Moltres - which, as we've established, is actually legitimately good in OU. Maybe Scarf with Healing Wish has its place in the meta still? Honestly, I'm not so sure myself.

:terrakion: has been a little contentious as of semi-recently, with folks like Omari P arguing that it's a lot better than the VR reflects while others argue it's either alright there or outright worse than its ranking on the VR represents. Slapping a Dark-type or Fighting-type breaker on a team with Future Sight is a pretty easy way to cause massive damage, and Terrakion's STAB Stone Edge and tools to muscle past mons like Aegislash and Slowbro are already decent enough. Honestly, though, I'm just not sure how to further justify running Banded Terrakion when there are other good mons that appreciate Future Sight support as well, while SD seems a bit weaker than other SD mons like Garchomp, some Lando variants, SD Kartana, etc. that are just better mons overall.

:gengar: has historically been solid in OU until last generation, but now it faces stiff competition from the amazing Dragapult and the great Blacephalon despite getting an amazing move in Nasty Plot this gen. Gengar is still a nigh-uncounterable beast that has no safe switchins and can overpower defensive teams with its many viable options, but it's sometimes hard to justify using it over the other Ghosts, even on Ghost Spam teams that often utilize the offensive power of two different Ghost-types to break past one-another's checks and counters.

The UUBL Mons that Might? Have a Niche, I Guess... But honestly, they probably aren't even viable:

:Thundurus: is not ranked on the VR, while its Therian forme has an established place on Rain teams and is generally a powerhouse of a mon that's just hard to support. Thundy-I is just weaker than its counterpart and Prankster is not as crucial of an ability as an Electric immunity - something Rain teams only get from Seismitoad otherwise - considering its Thunder Wave isn't what it once was. Weavile scares it shitless, and SpDef Lando-T laughs in its face outside of Rain. I don't know how one could justify running Thundurus-Incarnate in this meta, so I doubt there's much room for experimentation when its Therian forme is a terrifying wallbreaker.

:mienshao: is certainly a unique Fighting-type; it has Regenerator and a bunch of unique utility moves including U-Turn, and it's also surprisingly fast, but Regenerator only partially makes up for its mediocre bulk while offensive Reckless sets with HJK seem strong on paper but are just too prone to getting punished by Rocky Helmet, Zapdos's Static, Volcarona's Flame Body, and the like. It can't really throw out its moves, and the moves it can throw out aren't necessarily as terrifying as a Banded Weavile's Beat Up or something ludicrous. I think this and Thundurus-I are the worst UUBL mons by a country mile at the moment, but I think Mienshao is definitely the more salvageable of the two since Thundy-I just seems mostly outclassed on every front by one of its own Therian forme, Koko, or Zeraora.

So overall, what are all of your thoughts regarding the current UUBL mons in an OU context? Are mons like Gengar and Terrakion being slept on, or are they among the lower end of UUBL mons' quality? Is Kommo-o actually criminally underrated and just underutilized at the moment? Is Mienshao possibly salvageable in OU despite all the competition it faces? Is Galarian Moltres close to reaching actual OU status by usage since it's clearly a genuinely dangerous mon in the right context? Does Blaziken deserve its borderline OU-by-usage status? I'm interested in trying to start a discussion around these mons.

:arctozolt: never really got the high OU usage its partner in crime, Icy Rock Alolan Ninetales, ever saw even when Hail was at its peak.
Honestly with the aggressive state of the metagame right now, hail almost feels like it could have potential to pop back up and become more prominent again. Though it probably needs more experimenting first.

:blaziken: isn't quite at the level of Arctozolt or G-Moltres, but it's still a very threatening mon on HO teams under the right conditions as it can run options to muscle past its checks, albeit at the cost of other coverage options.
Honestly this thing feels like it has untapped potential in general, even outside HO. I know some people experimented with choice band in the past but it feels like there's possibly more beyond that. Potential offensive pivot sets (knock/turn and stabs) is an idea I've been tossing around. It's got a neat selection of utility tools like wisp, toxic, knock off... And... I dunno. It just feels under explored.

:hawlucha: isn't quite as amazing as it once was
Honestly I hate the awful 4mss this thing has and it feels really underwhelming, especially as of late. Also like many physical attackers hates all the rocky helmet spam everywhere on defensive teams.

The rest of the UUBL mons, most of them anyway, just kinda feel too inconsistent. Like Dracozolt is too prediction reliant and kills itself with LO recoil, Kommo-O has a bunch of sets but all of them are kind just okay right now and hard to justify especially when teams are strapped for slots as is... Gengar who just doesn't feel worth it at all due to Pult doing most everything it does better. And Thundurus and Mienshao just are kinda unspectacular. Though Shao at least has some potential as an offensive Regen pivot.

Zam, Terrak and the Latis I think have some untapped potential right now too and I'd love to see people try working with them.

Gengar who just doesn't feel worth it at all due to Pult doing most everything it does better
I personally find it competes more with Blacephalon in team structures than with Pult. It's speed tier and access to Hex among a few other moves can fit really well on more balanced teams where status will get spread around, and where you don't need the break neck offense of Blacephalon to snowball you. One of the big things imo that Gengar has going for it is the relatively light competition for the 110 speed tier, and nothing faster really wants to jump in front of it until they know the set.

I think terrakion niche is solid as it really appreciates the spdef lando t meta. +2 stone edge ohkos after rocks
I personally find it competes more with Blacephalon in team structures than with Pult. It's speed tier and access to Hex among a few other moves can fit really well on more balanced teams where status will get spread around, and where you don't need the break neck offense of Blacephalon to snowball you. One of the big things imo that Gengar has going for it is the relatively light competition for the 110 speed tier, and nothing faster really wants to jump in front of it until they know the set.
Gengar who just doesn't feel worth it at all due to Pult doing most everything it does better.
I think Gengar's best sets are like Nasty Plot Trick Scarf with shadow ball and Sludge Attack/Focus miss, or NP taunt/Sub stabs, and then hex sets.

Pult's hex sets and specs sets are a bit weaker overall in terms of raw power/coverage but pult is far faster and keeps up the momentum with u-turn which in practice most of the time is more worth it.

Gengar's scarf and nasty plot sets face stiff competition from Blacephalon ( who gets CM and taunt/trick as well) but its advanatage is the better speed tier (mainly important for kartana, but also usefuf for other niche options like terrakion/keldeo) and being less weak to rocks, but of course blace can hit harder ( and can snowball) on it's specs sets, but in exchange has a harder time breaking things like Ttar.and Gengar can break through certain stall builds a bit easier thanks to sludge wave.

my favorite gengar set is trick scarf NP two attacks as you have a speed control that can outspeed scarf Kartana and pult while still having incredible stallbreaking and wall breaking and with some noted small advantages over the other two ghosts.

In my experience Blacephalon has been the best scarfer in the tier, so saying another mons scarf set can compete would be a compliment. I do agree that Nasty Plot sets are probably his best, it was a big boon to him. I mentioned Hex because I said it lends itself to a different team structure than what you'd typically use with Blacephalon, so it lets Gengar occupy a niche Blace wouldn't do as well.
Edit: +2 Terrakion OHKO SpDef Lando w/stone edge after rocks is bonkers XD

Last edited:
I think it would be rad for regional forms to be excepted from species clause. Gapdos+Zapdos teams would be pretty interesting, as an example. The differences between these forms are substantially larger than things that don’t break species clause like slowbro/slowking and chansey/blissey. Just food for thought as we approach generation 9 and even more regional forms are added; there’s a lot of lost team comps hiding in this exception. I view this as highly analogous to tiering megas and base forms separately.

Last edited:

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
:mienshao: is certainly a unique Fighting-type; it has Regenerator and a bunch of unique utility moves including U-Turn, and it's also surprisingly fast, but Regenerator only partially makes up for its mediocre bulk while offensive Reckless sets with HJK seem strong on paper but are just too prone to getting punished by Rocky Helmet, Zapdos's Static, Volcarona's Flame Body, and the like. It can't really throw out its moves, and the moves it can throw out aren't necessarily as terrifying as a Banded Weavile's Beat Up or something ludicrous. I think this and Thundurus-I are the worst UUBL mons by a country mile at the moment, but I think Mienshao is definitely the more salvageable of the two since Thundy-I just seems mostly outclassed on every front by one of its own Therian forme, Koko, or Zeraora.
if u run banded hjk it has almost no switchins on this. u could also go full annoyance with regenerator lo uturn

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
if u run banded hjk it has almost no switchins on this. u could also go full annoyance with regenerator lo uturn
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 259-306 (64.7 - 76.5%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 189-222 (47.9 - 56.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 127-150 (36.9 - 43.6%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 222-261 (61.3 - 72%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 168-198 (43.8 - 51.6%)
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 135-159 (35.3 - 41.6%)
holy-

Mienshao @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-Turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off / Whatever

Imagine if you ran adamant
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%)
this thing is a goddamn nuke
but it just kills itself when it inevitably misses

Last edited:

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn​

Not a super long post, but I noticed something when Volcanion started rising in popularity throughout OU; Fire-type offense is especially dangerous right now. So I decided to dip into UU and bring up Darmanitan to OU. I've been running Scarf Darm on some of my teams. Sheer Force STAB Flare Blitz really is a one-click nuke, melting many Pokemon known for their annoying longevity, even with a neutral nature.

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 404-476 (101.2 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 274-324 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 330-390 (78.9 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 396-468 (89.3 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Magnezone: 386-456 (136.8 - 161.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 324-382 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anything that doesn't resist Darmanitan's Flare Blitz generally will just drop. You must play around Pokemon like Heatran, Toxapex, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Tyranitar, etc.; however, these Pokemon can be played around pretty quickly with Earthquake and proper prediction (this is especially true with hazard support).

252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 440-520 (113.9 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 212-250 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 198-234 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The main problem with Darm is getting it in safely, but if you prepare correctly, you can utilize Darmanitan's key resistances to Fairy, Ice, Fire, Grass, Bug, and Steel-type attacks to switch it in. 105 / 55 / 55 bulk is not fun to deal with, but the HP slightly offsets the meh defensive profile. Also, have a spinner or a defogger on hand to deal with Stealth Rock.

Aka, I'd recommend giving it a try. It has absolutely pulled some clutch wins for me once I've gotten rid of the problematic Pokemon that give it trouble.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn​

Not a super long post, but I noticed something when Volcanion started rising in popularity throughout OU; Fire-type offense is especially dangerous right now. So I decided to dip into UU and bring up Darmanitan to OU. I've been running Scarf Darm on some of my teams. Sheer Force STAB Flare Blitz really is a one-click nuke, melting many Pokemon known for their annoying longevity, even with a neutral nature.

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 404-476 (101.2 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 274-324 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 330-390 (78.9 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 396-468 (89.3 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Magnezone: 386-456 (136.8 - 161.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 324-382 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anything that doesn't resist Darmanitan's Flare Blitz generally will just drop. You must play around Pokemon like Heatran, Toxapex, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Tyranitar, etc.; however, these Pokemon can be played around pretty quickly with Earthquake and proper prediction (this is especially true with hazard support).

252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 440-520 (113.9 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 212-250 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 198-234 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The main problem with Darm is getting it in safely, but if you prepare correctly, you can utilize Darmanitan's key resistances to Fairy, Ice, Fire, Grass, Bug, and Steel-type attacks to switch it in. 105 / 55 / 55 bulk is not fun to deal with, but the HP slightly offsets the meh defensive profile. Also, have a spinner or a defogger on hand to deal with Stealth Rock.

Aka, I'd recommend giving it a try. It has absolutely pulled some clutch wins for me once I've gotten rid of the problematic Pokemon that give it trouble.
Yeah, Scarf Darm is one of those random offensive threats that can be a bit uncomfortable to face if I'm not running a Garchomp, Slowbro, or other sturdy Fire Resist. Sure, its longevity isn't the greatest, but it makes up for it with scarily nuclear power while also being fast. A lot of faster, but frail offensive mons like Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Zeraora get absolutely fried by Flare Blitz. That being said, a lot of sturdy Fire resist aren't too inconvenient to slap onto a team, so it is limited in that regard.

It might be worth running Trick to cripple some defensive switch-ins like Toxapex, Fini, etc.

:hatterene: - :marowak-alola: - :crawdaunt: - :melmetal: - :cresselia: - :porygon2:
:melmetal: ice punch -> rock slide for shedinja.
:porygon2: quiet -> modest, iv'd to outspeed pads melmetal and hippowdon.
+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Hippowdon: 248-292 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 171-202 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Twave melm in damage calc)
+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 244 SpD Melmetal: 145-171 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 81.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Leftovers melm in damage calc)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1579510016
porygon tech in action.

Last edited:
:hatterene: - :marowak-alola: - :crawdaunt: - :melmetal: - :cresselia: - :porygon2:
:melmetal: ice punch -> rock slide for shedinja.
:porygon2: quiet -> modest, iv'd to outspeed pads melmetal and hippowdon.
+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Hippowdon: 248-292 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 171-202 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Twave melm in damage calc)
+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 244 SpD Melmetal: 145-171 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 81.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Leftovers melm in damage calc)
Not really sure what this is tied to, but I like the change in coverage for Melmetal.

You really want Sassy SpD Porygon in that slot with Trace for Heatran. Also, having no recovery leaves it very inelastic as a Ghost-type check. Rock Slide seems like a good tradeoff not only for Shedinja but also stuff like Volcarona or Zapdos when avoiding contact effects.

You know I'm pretty much retired from Pokemon, but I occassionally dip and play for a week or two using some of my old teams. It's interesting to see how the meta developed in recent months. Anyways, I wanted to talk a bit about a Pokemon I enjoyed all the way from Cinderace/Magearna meta. That is Mienshao. I'm quite surprised that this mon is all the way in UUBL now. Regardless, I want to shed light on it's certainly niche, yet viable role.

At first look, it might seem like Mienshao doesn't belong in OU, it has negligible usage after all. But there are few reasons why it should. Obviously, a lack of coverage and bulk hold it back. Pult and Aegislash are annoying as well. But otherwise it can be surprisingly effective.

As someone who often plays Gen 5-7 OU, I'm always surprised by the lack of scarfers in this gen. This may have become normal to those with short memory, but as far back as I know that is very abnormal. Obviously, both power and speed creep have much to do with this. A scarfer must have sufficient speed to outspeed most of the meta, but also suficient power to be able to revenge killl. Occassionally, in a dream-like scenario it can even clean house. But there are more subtle factors that contribute into creating a good scarfer. One particularly important is spammable coverage. Another is access to U-turn or Volt Switch. And finally, utility. Utility in being able to hold back certain threats.

Take Kartana and Tapu Fini for example. The former is strong, has spammable coverage, and is fast. The latter has great utility, but also decent power. They're probably the only viable and frequently used scarfers right now. Obviously there is some scarf usage in Zapdos-Galar, Tapu Lele, Blacephelon, Urshifu-RS, Landorus-T, and more. Yet, the spots they find on teams is rather rare. The same goes for Mienshao, it cannot be as good as Fini or Kart, but I will make a case for why it can be as situationally good, and better than its competitors. Namely, Zapdos-Galar, Urshifu-RS, and the rare Scarf Terrakion.

:bw/Mienshao::Choice Scarf:
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn​

First, the speed tier. It may not seem much, but the difference between say Urshifu's speed tier (97), and Mienshao's (105) is rather huge. You get to outspeed other Scarf Urshifu-RS, and also Volcarona and Garchomp at +1. This is huge because Mienshao can outspeed and revenge kill both of them (Remember that a +1 Spe Garchomp is also a -1 Def Garchomp). It also outspeeds max speed Dracozolt in sand and Seismitoad in rain, something that both Zapdos-Galar and Urshifu-RS fail to do. Meanwhile, between (105) and Kartana/Terrakion (109/108), there isn't much in the meta to outspeed. Only the ability to speed tie with other scarf Kartana (as Kartana).

Reckless HJK is so incredibly strong, that the power alone makes a very strong case for itself that you it's worth the risk of missing HJK or not having Regenerator. For example, in the Cinderace/Magearna meta, I took great pleasure in leading Mienshao turn 1 and OHKO-ing Cinderace. To put it in perspective, Reckless HJK does as much damage as Life Orb Close Combat from Mienshao and Zapdos-G (125 Atk) and slightly less from Terrakion's (129 Atk). You have a 94% chance of OHKO-ing Zeraora, and a 30% chance of OHKO-ing 0 HP Melmetal. It does 23-28% to SpD Landorus-T, 32-38% to mixed Clefable, 40-48% to 252 HP Tornadus-T, 47-55% to 168+ Def Corviknight, and 50-60% to Tapu Koko. You can very quickly see how with some chip on the enemy team (knock offs, U-turns, and rocks) and one or two greedy switches from the enemy, Mienshao can quickly subordinate a team of 4, 5, or even 6 Pokemon alive, albeit weak. For example, take a 50% SpD Landorus-T in the back. With rocks up, it dies to 2 HJKs, even with Leftovers intact. The calc on Corvikinght is particularly devestating, since if rocks are up, HJK 2HKO's even from full HP. If Corv lacks his Leftovers, you have a ~60% of 2HKOing even without rocks up. This is something the other scarfers, including Kartana, cannot dream of doing.

Luckily, Mienshao can do the weakening itself. Knock Off is great for weakening Slowbro, Tornadus-T, Landorus-T and so on. If you're feeling risky, you can even risk the para on Zapdos. With rocks up, and potentially Future Sight, HJK can cause major chip and U-turn can give you momentum.

These facts come together and make a case for Mienshao as follows: a tool for keeping certain set-up sweepers in check, while simultaneously threatening to clean up the entire team if certain conditions are met. That means just by Mienshao existing in the back, an intelligent opponent (or if you revealed Scarf early) will always hold back in setting up his sweepers while making sure his Mienshao checks are healthy. That's already an advantage to exploit. The conditions for a clean up are not too difficult either, especially with the very offensive meta. Certainly, it's not as easy as Kartana, but it's definitely easier than the other fighting-type scarfs like Zapdos-Galar or Terrakion through the sheer power Mienshao brings.
You need checks like Landorus-T or Tornadus-T weakened, but that's easy. More importantly, you need hard counters like Slowbro, Buzzwole, Toxapex, Clefable, and Aegislash eliminated or substantially weakened. Dragapult and Zapdos are a little different. Obviously, you cannot spam HJK if they're alive, but they definitely can be picked off by Mienshao itself. Knock off does around ~90% to Pult, while Stone Edge does 75-89% to offensive Zapdos (~55% to defensive). A good prediction or a small hindsight by the opponent can flip the game over.
There are other perks to Shao: Like all good fighting types, it has really good synergy with Future Sight support. Also, the perk of being unexpected.

What happens if the enemy team has too many Mienshao checks/counters? Of course you will get these games. You can either save Shao for the end, hoping the opponent blunders, or you can sack Mienshao to weaken a crucial Pokemon. For example, I often trade Shao for a 90% Knock off on Pult, or take 80-90% or so from Bisharp for a pivotal switch. Indeed, that can be worth in many matchups that don't favor Mienshao.

Good teammates: a pokemon that can reliably set up rocks, a plus if it can do that on corv. A pokemon that can help Mienshao knock off HDB from Zapdos/Torn-T. A ghost check/lure. Future Sight support. Mons that can eliminate some of its checks. The list goes on. But that list can obviously be compressed. Heatran, for example, is very consistent at getting rocks, while also being able to eliminate Toxapex and Slowbro.

Verdict (tl;dr): In the somewhat rare chance where you want a scarfer, but with more immediate power than Kartana (but less coverage and less cleaning up potential), that can also revenge kill Volcarona, Mienshao is the mon for you. If you have Future Sight already, that's a plus. If you are considering Scarf Urshifu-RS, consider Scarf Mienshao isntead - you lose the bulk, but you get better cleaning ability, more speed, and a volcarona check. As I see it, there is no valid reason to use Terrakion, Zapdos-Galar, or even Urshifu-RS as Scarfers over Mienshao. Zapdos-G and Urshifu-RS are better band users, Terrakion is a better SD wallbreaker, but Mienshao is the better Scarfer.

Last edited:
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 259-306 (64.7 - 76.5%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 189-222 (47.9 - 56.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 127-150 (36.9 - 43.6%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 222-261 (61.3 - 72%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 168-198 (43.8 - 51.6%)
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 135-159 (35.3 - 41.6%)
holy-

Mienshao @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-Turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off / Whatever

Imagine if you ran adamant
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%)
this thing is a goddamn nuke
but it just kills itself when it inevitably misses
You forgot a couple really important ones.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 111-131 (28.1 - 33.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 125-147 (31.7 - 37.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 91-107 (23.6 - 27.7%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 114-135 (27.2 - 32.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. Blacephalon: 0-0 (0 - 0%)

Also 10% of the time this attack literally just does zero damage and you kill yourself. Hitting two HJK in a row is about as likely as Stone Edge hitting. 3 and we're getting into Focus Blast territory. I get that the damage output is really impressive in damage calcs but there are a lot of things that do switch in on this. I'm pretty sure most OU teams have 2 or even 3 HJK switch ins. You can replace Mienshao calcs with band Weavile or Dragapult and probably get similar numbers. It also has absolutely zero defensive utility. I'd even rather use Terrakion. At least Terra has some bulk, resistances, and a secondary offensive STAB.

I'm all for using neat stuff in OU for fun but from a raw competitive standpoint Mienshao is a gimmick that offers very little that other high tier mon's don't.

As a gimmick master, I wouldn't use Reckless Mienshao in OU, Toxapex is way too important of a roadblock and, contact abilities, Helmets and Ghosts exist too. However, in Oras OU I used a LO Regenerator one and it was quite good. Of course, Toxapex is still a big roadblock (that wasn't present in ORAS) , but with the ability of switching moves and healing, Mienshao can lure Toxapex in and U-Turn out. Knock Off threat means that things like Lando (who also counters Mienshao) won't always stay/switch-in, so Pex switch-in will often be telegraphed and you can send your broken Lele to start smashing. This is all theorymon, I haven't used Mienshao since ORAS. However, if I were to use one, Regenerator is the way to go.

3 HJKs in a row is 73% accuracy. Zapdos and Tornadus-T rely on hitting multiple Hurricanes in a row, so Mienshao has much better odds in comparison.

The reason why Mienshao is much better in ORAS (and subsequently, BW) is that LO Regenerator is very good, mainly due to HP Ice. Knock Off / U-turn / HP Ice / HJK is an insane coverage that exploits common build archetypes that have Lando-T/Gliscor/Garchomp. The lack of HP Ice really hurts Mienshao. Sure, you can run SD+CC, but the fact that you still can't get rid of her main checks (Toxapex, Landorus-T, Buzzwole) even at +2 holds it back hard. Also being easily revenge killed by very common threats like Zeraora, Dragapult, and Torandus-T is not doing you any favors.

Of course, I agree. Mienshao is super niche gimmick that arguably has no place in OU. It should only be used a scarfer, but any physical scarfer in general will be outclassed by Kartana 9/10 times. My only point is that if you ever happen to use Scarf Urshifu-RS, Terrakion, or Zapdos-G on one of your teams, consider Mienshao. That's my whole point. Even then, it might not be so obvious that Shao deserves a spot.

You forgot a couple really important ones.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 111-131 (28.1 - 33.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 125-147 (31.7 - 37.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 91-107 (23.6 - 27.7%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 114-135 (27.2 - 32.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. Blacephalon: 0-0 (0 - 0%)

Also 10% of the time this attack literally just does zero damage and you kill yourself. Hitting two HJK in a row is about as likely as Stone Edge hitting. 3 and we're getting into Focus Blast territory. I get that the damage output is really impressive in damage calcs but there are a lot of things that do switch in on this. I'm pretty sure most OU teams have 2 or even 3 HJK switch ins. You can replace Mienshao calcs with band Weavile or Dragapult and probably get similar numbers. It also has absolutely zero defensive utility. I'd even rather use Terrakion. At least Terra has some bulk, resistances, and a secondary offensive STAB.

I'm all for using neat stuff in OU for fun but from a raw competitive standpoint Mienshao is a gimmick that offers very little that other high tier mon's don't.
As a gimmick master, I wouldn't use Reckless Mienshao in OU, Toxapex is way too important of a roadblock and, contact abilities, Helmets and Ghosts exist too. However, in Oras OU I used a LO Regenerator one and it was quite good. Of course, Toxapex is still a big roadblock (that wasn't present in ORAS) , but with the ability of switching moves and healing, Mienshao can lure Toxapex in and U-Turn out. Knock Off threat means that things like Lando (who also counters Mienshao) won't always stay/switch-in, so Pex switch-in will often be telegraphed and you can send your broken Lele to start smashing. This is all theorymon, I haven't used Mienshao since ORAS. However, if I were to use one, Regenerator is the way to go.
I think a choice band set is outclassed for sure , but I think ruffles made a good case for its scarf set having some niches over scarf urshifu and terrakion which admittedly though are already niche. But even then I have my doubts
In the somewhat rare chance where you want a scarfer, but with more immediate power than Kartana (but less coverage and less cleaning up potential), that can also revenge kill Volcarona, Mienshao is the mon for you. If you have Future Sight already, that's a plus. If you are considering Scarf Urshifu-RS, consider Scarf Mienshao isntead - you lose the bulk, but you get better cleaning ability, more speed, and a volcarona check. As I see it, there is no valid reason to use Terrakion, Zapdos-Galar, or even Urshifu-RS as Scarfers over Mienshao. Zapdos-G and Urshifu-RS are better band users, Terrakion is a better SD wallbreaker, but Mienshao is the better Scarfer.
This was an insightful post. However I'm still not sure that niensharo is better than these other scarfers.

Scarf Terrakion has the faster speed tier and also outspeeds scarf blacephalon which is a fairly potent threat in the metagame

Moreover, terakion is only marginally worse than mienshao at revenging chomp , as both have rolls to ohko with mienshao roll being slightly better overall.

A similar issue occurs with corviknight where mienshao only had a 15% greater chance to best corviknight but 85 % of the time you are in the same boat as terakion . Actually though it's 13.5 % realistically as at least terrakion CC is 100 percent accurate. And then you have to ask yourself if havinf to be banking 50% of your mienshao's health is worth it for this roll when you could just be running terrakion instead and being doing more overall more consistently in more marchups.

Similarly, garchomp can't one shot urshifu and urshifu has a solid roll to ohko chomp after rocks and urshifu can also beat bulky volcarona too. It loses to offensive but if offense volc is your concern then it comes back to using terrakion

Zapdos galar can revenge bulkyrona and garchomp to boot, and if you are concerned about the weather speed boosters then at that point you end up using terrakion.

So I just don't see it

3 HJKs in a row is 73% accuracy. Zapdos and Tornadus-T rely on hitting multiple Hurricanes in a row, so Mienshao has much better odds in comparison.

The reason why Mienshao is much better in ORAS (and subsequently, BW) is that LO Regenerator is very good, mainly due to HP Ice. Knock Off / U-turn / HP Ice / HJK is an insane coverage that exploits common build archetypes that have Lando-T/Gliscor/Garchomp. The lack of HP Ice really hurts Mienshao. Sure, you can run SD+CC, but the fact that you still can't get rid of her main checks (Toxapex, Landorus-T, Buzzwole) even at +2 holds it back hard. Also being easily revenge killed by very common threats like Zeraora, Dragapult, and Torandus-T is not doing you any favors.

Of course, I agree. Mienshao is super niche gimmick that arguably has no place in OU. It should only be used a scarfer, but any physical scarfer in general will be outclassed by Kartana 9/10 times. My only point is that if you ever happen to use Scarf Urshifu-RS, Terrakion, or Zapdos-G on one of your teams, consider Mienshao. That's my whole point. Even then, it might not be so obvious that Shao deserves a spot.
You yourself have noted that you haven't played this gen's OU in a while and one potential shift that you may not have noticed is that scarfers are markedly a lot better now that the tier has become more aggressive, and it's not just Fini and Kartana as the only good ones (the former I don't even think makes that great of a scarfer nowadays). While I think special scarfers like Blacephalon and Lele are probably overall the best picks right now IMO, I wouldn't say that scarf Mienshao is better than Terrakion (It's terrakion's best set and I still think edgequake+ fighting stab is immensely valuable since it also doesn't find itself getting as worn down as Mienshao does, since Mienshao missing is actually just a big deal when it threatens to literally kill itself). Their checks are similar but despite the lack of U-Turn Terrakion just threatens a lot more. I don't really use Scarfshifu much but water STAB and good priority is immensely valuable for a scarfer. These two mons can also stomach a lot more hits than Mienshao can.

I'm gonna agree with you on Zapdos-G though, I really don't like it as a scarfer (and it is a quite niche one fwiw) and I don't think it plays to the mon's strengths enough.

I'm not trying to discount Mienshao though, I still think it could be explored a little more and I think that's important to note with niche picks. Like, to suspend judgement and don't go for the kneejerk reaction of "why are you using a shitmon it's barely viable in this tier how dare you say it's better than other used mons sometimes" since after all, nobody wants to open up this thread for grounds to call everyone primitive apes

Last edited:
Zapdos-G though, I really don't like it as a scarfer (and it is a quite niche one fwiw) and I don't think it plays to the mon's strengths enough.
i think Scarf Zapdos G is a lot like Blaziken though in that it can kill it self very quickly but yet can work as a late game cleaner. With Lando T's omnipresence and the common use of Defog, one wrong move against Gzapdos can snowball quickly. Band is definitely its preferred set but i can see the scarf usage and i still wouldn't justify mienshao over it in most cases because mienshao as while both mons can end up killing themselves zapdos is doing consistent damage with its fighting stabs, with thunudurs kick still softening up some walls too if you don't want to take the CC defensive drops, while at the same time revenging many things mienshao can save for a few.

Yeah, LO Regenerator was one of Mienshao's best sets back in BW from what I remember. However, Baton Pass being banned makes this set much less effective that it was back then I think. A strategy Mienshao could go for was using Sub or SD on a favorable match up like Tyranitar as they switched into their fighting switch-in like Landorus-T and Baton Passing to a teammate to gain a really nice advantage in that state. However, such as strategy is no longer allowed, so Mienshao does have a bit more trouble contributing meaningfully against some of its counters like Toxapex and Landorus-T as a result.

Still, even without Baton Pass or HP Ice, LO Mienshao might be able to contribute a bit of damage against Landorus-T w/ Knock Off + repeated Poison Jabs to fish for poison chip. Mienshao's Toxapex MU is a bit sus, but its coverage for the rest of the tier is honestly superb and its speed tier is pretty good. On the flipside, its bulk is horrible. To illustrate how bad it is, LO Weavile deals 99.6% to Mienshao MINIMUM with the combination of Knock Off + Ice Shard. Heavy Duty Boots Weavile is guarenteed to OHKO Mienshao with Triple Axel without any setup and Choice Specs Dragapult has a 75% chance to OHKO Mienshao with Shadow Ball after Stealth Rock. I do think this lack of defensive utility hurts Mienshao a lot compared to Urshifu and even other niche fighting-types like Heracross and Conkeldurr, which are at least able to eat a hit and OHKO in return with their monstrously powerful Facades and Close Combats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)