Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Oh, it gets better. Remember, following Pokemon are a thing, so not only can you send out your full party but you can presumably have them follow you around as one big group!

I'm telling y'all, in conjunction with co-op this game is gonna have an in-game photography scene unlike anything we've ever seen before from this franchise. Super exciting stuff that really gets to the heart of what makes Pokemon so appealing.
Assuming the feature's not behind a paywall again and it'd be nice if they actually keep up with your walking speed this time. I really fail to understand why this was never a feature again sooner. The walking and running animations were already on the 3DS Sun and Moon games unused, so it's not like they couldn't have had it back sooner. Considering the fact games like DQMJ3P had 712 monsters,all of which are ridable and YKW3 having 752 monsters with a following feature, there really shouldn't be any excuse. It annoys me. I'll believe this when I see it, but I have extreme trust issues with this game as things are.

It at least helps that this game appears to have actually half-decent animation and textures on the monsters finally. Even Pineco looks better.

Last edited:
It definitely doesn't replace only one of the Pokemon's types, or otherwise the whole deal of moves getting an extra boost if they "match [the Pokemon's] Tera type and at least one of its original types" doesn't make any sense. Whatever it does, it doesn't care about the order of a Pokemon's types.
I mean it could just keep track of those in the background pretty easily, if it did go that route

Makes sense. I’m against 3-typed Pokemom in general, so my preferred system would be to replace both types unless it originally has the type. So Fire Tera Drifblim would be pure Fire, but Flying Tera Drifblim would still be Ghost/Flying
This is extremely confusing. They try to make the new gimmick appealing for newcomers. A lot of players who will play 9th gen wont even know what most of the types are, it's visually and conceptually clearer to just make the Pokémon a singular type matching the design.

Also, from a conceptual point of view, I supose crystalization is like forgeting about everything and channeling the essence of 1 singular type to its maximum potential, so the Pokémon becomes something akin to the embodiment of said type and thus their attacks get even stronger if that type matches the originals.

Assuming the feature's not behind a paywall again and it'd be nice if they actually keep up with your walking speed this time. I really fail to understand why this was never a feature again sooner. The walking and running animations were already on the 3DS Sun and Moon games unused, so it's not like they couldn't have had it back sooner. Considering the fact games like DQMJ3P had 712 monsters,all of which are ridable and YKW3 having 752 monsters with a following feature, there really shouldn't be any excuse. It annoys me. I'll believe this when I see it, but I have extreme trust issues with this game as things are.
The 3DS games were 2 seconds from falling to pieces and base SWSH already had optimization problems to begin with so I can easily see "perofmrance issues" were a concern that they more or less worked out by SV since they seem to be following pretty close to you here in the footage we have. Even if they are literally running at 15 frames per second.

And yes, to cut you off, many games on both 3DS & Switch didn't have these specific performance issues. Welcome to the same exact discourse about gamefreak's 3d output for the past decade! Perhaps by 2 successors from now gamefreak will reach the lofty heights of "a normal nintendo first party switch performance" but alas!

The crowns for Tera typing look messy/awful (no way Eevee has the neck strength to hold that ridiculous crown up!) but I like the concept.

Cetitan and chocolate Wooper are wonderful designs. The region looks really rich too, although the towers are a bit too BOTW.

For those that care these are all the returning fully evolved Pokémon that weren't in Sword and Shield (Nothing from Gen 7 yet)
View attachment 444084
Really happy to see Venonat, Phanpy, and Hoppip again. Don’t think any of them have been available in regional dexes in a long time. Houndoom Ampharos are also really welcome additions!

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Koraidon runs even though it has wheels...?
The most believable excuse is cuz the wheels have no axle and riding a horse or animal of some kind came before the wheel or something to that affect to play into the whole future and past duality thing.

Personally, I just expect it to be one of the very many instances where Pokemon's badly written fantasy biology makes no sense.
d2lbdlx-de445fa9-18d9-45d9-b6db-be530ca160d5.png

Outside of the damage calculations, are you expecting to see TLize also granting the status immunities associated with their types? I could definitely see a niche pick of using Grass in doubles just to tech around Rage Powder, for all that I'm not holding out hope after how badly DMax interacted with status moves.

Just went browsing through the pre release images and this one is sending me.

Why is Dragonite's reflection everywhere, lmao. It's got some major three wolf moon energy. We're FLANKED ON ALL SIDES
To add to that, the crown is not part of the reflection... I am going to head-cannon that as <something something> the crown is an illusion like dmax, doesn't show up in reflections because <magical reasons>.

It would also explain how some of these mons are wearing these crowns without breaking their necks.

Last edited:
Outside of the damage calculations, are you expecting to see TLize also granting the status immunities associated with their types? I could definitely see a niche pick of using Grass in doubles just to tech around Rage Powder, for all that I'm not holding out hope after how badly DMax interacted with status moves.
if it counts as the type for all intents and purposes then yeah, all the secondary effects should also carry over

it would be strange to get STAB(ish) with Poison typing and the weaknesses of Poison typing and the Resistances of Poison typing but not, you know, get poison immunity

I mean, it would be pretty sick if Tera types did that. One thing I hate more than anything else is Toxic randomly missing so Tera-Poison Toxic would be pretty rad to get 100% accuracy on that move lol. That being said, its probably still better to run Wide Lens / Safety goggles in these particular cases.

Also, i don't know how far they will go w/ this Tera gimmick, esp if it leads to triple types or something along those lines. It seems too exploitable to just make something like Magnezone a Flying type or pelipper a groud-type to nullify their 4x weaknesses. I think they will nerf the effectiveness of the Tera type, but we will have to wait and see.

As far as gimmicks go though, I think this is easily the coolest one Pokemon has done since it completely warps how a Pokemon is used in battle. Yeah Z-Moves kinda did a similar thing, but this gimmick has a permanence feel to it similar to Mega Evolution, so it will have a larger impact in longer games. I know I've mentioned it a few times, but Eelektross is a fun Pokemon to theorycraft potential Tera strategies with since it has such a wide movepool. I mentioned Tera Fire-type earlier having some cool applications, but Tera Steel-type might actually be even better, giving Eelektross even more resistances and STAB on Flash Cannon, which has pretty solid neutral coverage with Electric. A set of Volt Switch / Flamethrower / Flash Cannon / Giga Drain seems pretty cool on a pivoting set, esp since the additional resistances and SR resistance will make it even better at that role.

Another Pokemon that could make great use of Tera would be Clefable. A Tera Fire-type lets it get STAB on Flamethrower+ neutrality to Steel, letting it smash its normal checks more reliably (+Magic Guard nullifies a potential SR Weakness). Tera Water-type gives a neutrality to Steel and gives Clefable a stronger Water Pulse to beat up heatran. Tera Ghost-type would be really awesome, giving Clefable strong secondary STAB in Shadow Ball AND allowing it to switch out of Heatran after it uses Magma Storm.

I am getting off-track here by theory-monning how Tera works, but all this goes to show that it'll allow for a lot more strategy and creative freedom, which is both good and bad as far as a competitive metagame is concerned. I am hoping that any confusion or misconceptions about it get cleared up soon since its really fun to just Theorymon up strategies with it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Was kind of getting worried about the Direct when we got through about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of it without seeing Scarlet & Violet news, not that we weren't going to get any but what they're going to tell us isn't going to be substantial. But luckily they were able to bring the goods, mostly with the story framing device being around a "Treasure Hunt" and the reveal of this gen's Super Mechanic. But all of that in good time, and while normally I look through the trailer, I'm finding that it's just generally better to use the Main Website as a way to sort through the new information. I apologize if my thoughts aren't as "indpth" as they usually are, but honestly I just can't keep up with you guys so just going to post my basic thoughts & opinions.

Starting in NEWS.

MASCOT LEGENDARY'S BUILDS/MODES:
So they're just pulling off the bandage on the Legendaries being motorcycles. So it looks like early in the game(?) you gain the partnership of Koraidon/Miraidon and they allow you to use it as a mount to explore the region. Neat! With them going for an open world theme, I wonder if we're just gonna have access to all Builds/Modes from the beginning or if we start with Sprinting/Drive and obtain Swimming/Aquatic and Gliding/Glide (would have gone with "Aerial Mode" myself, matches better with the other technical names of Miraidon's Modes) when progress demands it. For open world the former would feel most appropriate, but then again other open world games such as LoZelda: Breath of the Wild had the player go around obtaining their various equipment and power-ups to open up their exploration.

... Okay, let's talk about the quadruped in the room. Miraidon got the memo of being a motorbike, but Koraidon not so much. BUT, it makes sense if it's supposed to represent the "Past", and in the past humans rode on the back of quadrupeds (mainly horses, camels, & elephants) to get around quicker. Does that mean it having the "wheel sacs" pointless? Well, it does mention it uses them in its Swimming Build as a floatation device so it does use it for something which is a trait of a wheel: using air to inflate it. It's silly but I'll let it slide, for one thing we still don't know the two Legendaries relation to one another so their similar appearances may yet to be explained.

However I do have an additional complaint: the Sprinting/Drive and Swimming/Aquatic look too similar to one another that they might as well just be the same thing. I feel for Koraidon that in Sprinting Build the wheels should be smaller and in Swimming Build give them a more rounder appearance making it clear its using them to float itself. For Miraidon its Drive Mode is fine, but for Aquatic Mode should have its jet engines extended out even more (maybe even having the back wheel more behind the seat) to show its the main propulsion part.

TERASTAL:
Ah, the new Super Mechanic reveals all that crystalline imagery wasn't for nothing! It's pretty much power armor with a gem theme to it.
So as I understand it, each individual Pokemon has its own "Tera Type" (why do I have a feeling they recycled the code for Hidden Power for this mechanic though also having Normal & Fairy as options). When the player uses the "Tera Orb" on a Pokemon, their Tera Type activates, aesthetically giving them a crown & covering their body with gem armor matching their Tera Type, and mechanically changing their Type to their Tera Type and giving Super STAB to Moves of that Type (and if the Pokemon was originally of that Type, it gets SUPER Super STAB). I'm going to assume the Tera Type overrides dual-type making them mono-Type. And then after the battle ends the Tera Orb has to be recharged either from crystals growing in the overworld or healing at the Pokemon Pitstop Center.

I'll admit, I didn't see Super STAB as the next Super Gimmick, my money was on Super Abilities. In a way they're also like Z-Crystals in the form of a transformation (like Dynamax though lasts the entire battle like Mega Evolutions) which are multi-use in battle, likely weaker than the nukes Z-Moves were, and the Pokemon has to dedicate itself to one Type it becomes. They're also what I was sort of thinking would be the Super Mechanic of Sword & Shield was gonna be.

Of course a few questions arise:

1. Is it just Power that is effected or are Move's Accuracy & Secondary Effects also powered-up (and how does this affect PP)?

2. It's implied that a Pokemon can have any Type as their Tera-Type, but that would mean some Pokemon could draw the short end of a stick and get a Tera Type of a Type they don't learn a Move for. Granted, they still change Type so do change their Weaknesses & Resistances (& Immunities) so it's not a completely pointless transformation. Still though, I'd imagine GF would still rather a Pokemon getting a Tera Type of a Type they have a Move for so will the mechanic try to adhere the Pokemon to Types that it can learn or is it truly random? Or, is there an additional mechanic we don't know where the Tera Type can change a Move into its Type?

3. Can a Pokemon change its Tera Type? And if so, what mundane thing this time will be used to change the Type. We got Bottle Caps for IVs, Mints for Natures, and Mushroom Soup for Dynamax/Gigantamax; Just having it be a crystal is boring so I'm gonna say... Salt. You'll be able to grind crystals into fine salt and sprinkle it onto your Pokemon to change their Tera Type.

And as we ponder that, here's another factor: Z-Moves had Signature Z-Moves, Dynamax and Gigantamax, so what "Signature" form is Terastal going to have and how will it be different from normal Terastal? Well, the most obvious answer will be a unique form (likely with a unique crown representing the Pokemon instead of a Type like the symbols on the Z-Crystals). Mechanic-wise, maybe the Signature Terastal will all be Duel-type thus they get TWO Super STABs (which brings in its own complexity which, for the sake of brevity, I'm gonna just skip over)?

Stepping away from what we don't know to what we do know, interesting after 3 limitless Super Mechanics (4 if you count Legends: Arcues' "Styles") they're now making it so in-game the Super Mechanic needs to be recharged. Well, I guess Dynamax was also limited to certain areas, though limitless in those areas. By making it so the Tera Orb needs to be recharged they're going to give players the mindset to save the Terastal for important battles. But that's where something they say throws me off. Having to go to the Pokemon Center to recharge? Makes sense and many important battles usually take place after a Pokemon Center pitstop. But then they also mention there are just crystals around the place that can also recharge the Tera Orb. Why? Are these crystals going to be conveniently placed in locations where important battles are going to take place? If so, doesn't that defeat the purpose of giving the player of feeling like they need to "save" the Terastal? Like if you're worried players would Terastal in every single battle, well in my experience that didn't really happen with Megas or Z-Moves, a lot of times it was just quicker to stick to normal battling without involving all sorts of fancy animations.

Finally, with each Type getting a crown representing its Type, of course I can't resist on speculating what each Type crown would look like. We already know Normal is just a straight up Jewel Crown, Grass is Flowers, Fire is a Chandelier, Water is a Fountain, and Flying is Balloons. So my guesses is Fighting is a pair of Fists/Boxing Gloves, Poison is a Skull, Ground is a Spiraling Mountain (looking also like a Drill), Rock is a Geode and/or Stalagmite Crystals, Bug I would like it to be a Jewel Beetle though a Butterfly is more likely, Ghost I'm gonna say a Tombstone, Steel will be fancy with a Clocktower (with exposed Gears & such), Electric is likely a Lightning Bolt but I wouldn't mind something like a Tesla Coil or Plasma Globe, Psychic is an Eye, Ice you gotta go with a Snowflake, Dragon likely a simplified Serpent or Wyvern, Dark I can only think of the (Crescent) Moon even though I know that's not completely accurate, and Fairy is a simplified Fairy creature (with butterfly wings if that hasn't been done by Bug) or maybe the Moon if that's not what Dark-type uses.

Oh, and can't forget to mention the Preorder Bonus: Flying Pikachu! A Pikachu that comes with Fly and has the Tera Type of Flying (which is interesting as that would essentially completely flip Pikachu's Type Chart: Ground goes from Weakness to Immunity, Electric goes from Resistance to Weakness). Apparently you won't gain access to Mystery Gift until and hour to an hour & a half of play time, aka past all the tutorial and your beginning your "Treasure Hunt" journey?

TERA RAID BATTLES:
Raid Battles are here once again but now using the Terastal mechanic instead of Dynamax! Glad to see they're sticking around, though hopefully there's also a Dynamax Adventure version of them. Not only that, it also sounds like they took feedback on some complaints with the Max Raid Battles and the Dens.

• Instead of number of turns (and hopefully KOs) its a timer.
  • You don't need to wait until your allies pick their move (either each player will have a cooldown or they're just talking a per turn basis and you will need to wait for everyone to take their turn before making your next).
  • Instead of attacking you can choose to Cheer and can choose what your Cheer does: raise Atk & SpA, raise Def & SpD, or heal.
  • Instead of similar looking Dens, you access these Raids with crystals in the color of the Tera Type the Pokemon you'll battle (and like with Dens you're shown a silhouette of the Pokemon when you check the crystal). Curious if they'll not only have a way to refresh the Pokemon but a way to change the Tera Type.

While it sounds like the Tera Raids will go quicker than the Max Raids, how much better it is will come down to how they balanced everyone able to move without waiting for the others to, especially if one player doesn't have a strong/stable internet connection.

... AND that's all for today. Today I had stuff to do and it was only at night was I able to post any thoughts. Tomorrow I'll go over plot details, characters, and the new Pokemon. :blobthumbsup:

After re-reading the admittedly confusing phrasing on the official page on terastal (and other forbidden sources of knowledge), it is almost certain that terastallization simply overwrites both types with the tera type (pending an unrevealved gigantamax-style twist, maybe). No three type shenanigans unless you want to go old school and use Pumpkaboo or Trevanant (assuming they even make the cut).

Having let the news marinate a bit more today, my updated thoughts on the reveals:

-I tentatively like the idea of the gimmick, particularly that it seems like it will have more direct defensive utility than dynamax. I'm glad they kept the raid battles, too---I enjoyed them in SwSh, despite the stupid barriers. Terastallization could also add a fun twist/exception to monotype runs, e.g., using non-ghosts with ghost tera-type and some ghosts with non-ghost tera-type. Not a big fan of the effect, though -- it looks like the crystally effect could be hard to look at after a while. Plus it really seems like an excuse to put out some really pricey merch...

-I am going to forgive Cetitan's off-putting baleen-teeth and hope that it/its prevo are not too difficult to acquire... maybe through a raid so that I can overwrite that ice type when needed.

-Not sure which of Koraidon or Miraidon I prefer still. In regular form like Miraidon's design more, but Koraidon has a bit more charm in its ride modes. I don't mind Koraidon looking like its has wheels but running, and I like its gliding wings way better than Miraidon's. But, the legendaries are seldom the determining factor in which version I choose. That's going to depend on version exclusives, particularly if there are any version exclusive ghosts.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Ok so this next thing is from a leaker but it isn't brand new unrevealed info, just clarification about how Terestral works

Main takeaway is yes, you become mono Terastral type after using it. Pretty cool drawback ngl. The fact it actually has a tangible drawback at all already puts it above Dynamax
How I read this: Terastallize means Offensive Pokemon can get Super STAB (but become Monotype if they do) and Defensive Pokemon can all turn into Steel types.

Ok so this next thing is from a leaker but it isn't brand new unrevealed info, just clarification about how Terestral works

Main takeaway is yes, you become mono Terastral type after using it. Pretty cool drawback ngl. The fact it actually has a tangible drawback at all already puts it above Dynamax
Ok, this is actually lame as hell ngl. Having duel-typing for a lot of Pokemon would have been so cool and all that potential is now gone. At least the Tera Orb seemingly doesn't seem to take an item slot so you can use it with a Plate item or something for a stronger effective STAB.

While I am disappointed, the mechanic still seems really cool albiet in a different way. Like with Dynamaxing, there is a timing element required with Tera, lettting the player completely flip a lot of matchups. Tera Steel-type Hydregion is still extremely good since it can switch mid-battle against something like Clefable or Weavile and smash them with a Flash Cannon or even set up on them now that it resist Ice / Fairy attacks. However, the Hydreigon player is screwed if they fight Magnezone or if the Clefable / Weavile predict the Tera and either Tera themselves or using a super effective attack.

Actually, for the reasons I mentioned above, the mechanic might actually be way better competitvely in this form since it has mid-battle application and legimate drawbacks to Teraing at the wrong time (with more reliable counterplay outside Teraing yourself, unlike Dynamax).

Your Toxapex suddenly becomes a Flying type. Your Ferrothorn suddenly becomes a Dragon type. Defensively this is terrifying, especially if you can’t tell what your opponent’s Tera type is
“We’ve kept all the things you love about Pokemon”
somehow I doubt that

and Terallize is definitely banned from OU, shame
This is definitely not remotely as broken as Dynamax was and likely will be more of a case by case basis of brokeness.
Every Pokemon has 18 possible types to choose from, but practically, every Pokemon will only use a few.
It apparently makes you a monotype Pokemon, but even if it added a third typing, it would still be tamed compared to Dynamax.
A Water/Poison/Flying Toxpex to be immune to Ground and resist Grass is nice, but you are also now neutral to Ice, weak to Rock/Stealth Rock, and doubly weak to Electric.
I also see this being more effective offensively as well from what the official site says.
If you’re Salamence and your only has resisted attacks, you can Dragon Dance, and when the opponent switches into something with Ice coverage, you suddenly become a Water type and boost again. You are now pretty healthy while being at +2 Atk/Spe, no longer Ice Shards weak, and arguably better STAB too.
This wouldn’t be OP by any stretch. You can still be easily stopped with right defensive core, can be crippled with paralysis and burns, and you don’t OHKO ever single thing in the tier.
In constrast, Dynamax doubled your health with absolutely no downsides besides like Leftovers and Berries being slightly weaker, and you also got shit like Max Airstream, Max Knuckle/Ooze, sudden unlocking to Choice Items and Encore, random ass immunities, and giving you BP ranging from 130-150 in most scenarios besides 2 Max Moves.
Unless the STAB bonus when you Teralize a typing you already have is like x3 or something, I don’t see this mechanic being ban worthy or contraversial even.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Currently looking at the High Quality Map and playing "Spot a Gym" (or well, what I've at least been assuming is a gym). Basically just looking for the big field with a Pokéball in the center.

1659583779452.png

This is most likely the one we've seen in the latest trailer with the ice femboy gym leader. This being pretty much confirmed to be a gym arena is what makes me think all of the following ones will also be gyms.

1659583815072.png

And this is the one we saw on the second trailer

1659584074376.png

See, this one's kind of weird. Its on the first town and is most likely what we see in the below tag on the first trailer as well
1659584191787.png

The floor kind of matches colour and the "seemingly early game" placement holds up but the background is fairly different, since on the map it is in the middle of a town while in the trailer its near some cliffs, a body of water and sand instead of grass. Which also means it could be the following instead:

1659584404356.png

Where the background matches a lot more but the area is very far away from the first town for it to be your first battle. Very weird.

Other than that, found these:

1659583886430.png

1659584515801.png

1659584538063.png

1659584965572.png

I have also found the following:

1659584665862.png

Which, judging by the four-coloured field instead of a singular colour like every other field, I'm assuming is the Elite 4.

I'll leave an edited map below with all these areas highlited so yalls can have an idea of where they're located

1659585270106.png

This is definitely not remotely as broken as Dynamax was and likely will be more of a case by case basis of brokeness.
Every Pokemon has 18 possible types to choose from, but practically, every Pokemon will only use a few.
It apparently makes you a monotype Pokemon, but even if it added a third typing, it would still be tamed compared to Dynamax.
A Water/Poison/Flying Toxpex to be immune to Ground and resist Grass is nice, but you are also now neutral to Ice, weak to Rock/Stealth Rock, and doubly weak to Electric.
I also see this being more effective offensively as well from what the official site says.
If you’re Salamence and your only has resisted attacks, you can Dragon Dance, and when the opponent switches into something with Ice coverage, you suddenly become a Water type and boost again. You are now pretty healthy while being at +2 Atk/Spe, no longer Ice Shards weak, and arguably better STAB too.
This wouldn’t be OP by any stretch. You can still be easily stopped with right defensive core, can be crippled with paralysis and burns, and you don’t OHKO ever single thing in the tier.
In constrast, Dynamax doubled your health with absolutely no downsides besides like Leftovers and Berries being slightly weaker, and you also got shit like Max Airstream, Max Knuckle/Ooze, sudden unlocking to Choice Items and Encore, random ass immunities, and giving you BP ranging from 130-150 in most scenarios besides 2 Max Moves.
Unless the STAB bonus when you Teralize a typing you already have is like x3 or something, I don’t see this mechanic being ban worthy or contraversial even.
If it is triple types, there would be more room for debate. However, since the transformation allegedly makes you monotype, I don't think there are any issues defensively that would arise from this mechanic, unless Air Balloon Electric Shedninja becomes too OP or something. Dual types are usaually way better than mono-types defensively anyways.

Also Magnezone stonks are about to go up. Fire-type Tera Magnezone will be trapping and destroying all the Steel-types (maybe even the Tera ones).

Last edited:
Just... wow this is disappointing. The most interesting thing about types is how they interact when paired with other types. What blindspots they cover and leave on offense, and how they blend together into a unique defensive profile.

Like I thought the idea other people had of being monotype defensively and triple type offensively was overly convoluted, but at least it wasn't boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)