Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Tera whatever is going to be bullshit. Is it confirmed that it only makes you mono type or is it still possible the leaks about triple types are true? In any case it boosts the chosen type AND gives you STAB right? So it's like a super Z move. I can't wait to use things like Psychic Volcarona, Iron Head Steel Dragonite, Aqua Tail Water Garchomp, Poison Jab Weavile, and so on. Counters are dead, long live max speed hyper offense!
99% just monotype, but who knows if there are special mons a la gigantamax that do something different.

To the best of our understanding the extra boost is only if the tera-type matches one of the mon's original types. Tera-Psychic volc would just get psychic stab, but tera-fire volc would get fire stab + extra boost, similarly for tera-bug volc.

They... They did it! They made the Elite Four actually cool and relevant to the setting! They're not just faceless do-nothings locked to the last rooms of the game! They have setup! After 9 fucking generations, they did it!!!

They made an E4... THAT'S NOT SHIT!!!!!!

IT'S NOOOOOOOOOT SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
I'm talking only by the design, ignoring every instance in which he has appeared or has been briefly mentioned by other characters; only, and exclusively only refering to the design, Lance has more charisma than those 4 E4 members combined, and I'm even giving you the advantage of assuming that every single one of them has a development arc similar to a main character in a Tales Of.

Starting from left to right. The first dude is a complete parguelas, and I'm using this word in spanish because I can't find any word that describes him better. A complete, utter parguela. Just by looking at his face you can infere his cognition is severely damaged. Something is not working in his brain. I don't know what to say about the granny either. In fact she gives me vibes-of-absolutely-nothing, so I can't say anything good or bad about her; they may have placed a bush instead and it would generate the same effect. The third girl looks like the random girl you find in the optics when you ask for a new pair of glasses, and the ONLY one of them that looks like an actual E4 member is the last girl, the one in black at the right. You can easily imagine the girl on glasses and the blond guy as a couple, dinning with his mom, the granny. Normal people. Compared to them, the last girl looks like a fkn assassin.

The pussiest E4 i've seen in my life. E4 is not about having well written characters in a Pokémon game, it's about looks. You look at Lance and your brain inmediatly recognizes that you are fucked. No matter if 10 seconds later you sweep through his team spamming ice beam, the point is the sheer power of the design is enough to suggestionate you, to make you feel insignificant next to Lance's inmensity, a dragon master with enough power to render the world into a nightmarish sunset bathed in dragonfire, scorched pain and scaly agony. These guys have almost no presence, why would you even challenge them to a Pokémon battle as if they were special when you can just slap their faces and keep on walking through the hall of fame. What are they gonna do.

Shoutouts to this new E4 tho.

Last edited:
Which is why being mono-Fairy is monumentally better than being mono-Dark. Taunt generally only matters when you can outspeed things to lock them in, hence why you would normally see it on Pranksters and apparently all the those monsters don't even run it that much in SWSH meta. Foul Play is like its only good Dark move, so of course it's gonna run that since it doesn't even get Knock Off, something Clefable actually learns. No one runs Yawn cuz it's easy to get around.

And Blissey eats all of it up even better and can still do a bunch of the same stuff Umbreon wants to as well.

Calm Mind Clefable has been a consitently top tier metagame moveset for years and people still use it.

You can argue with me all you want but the results speak for themselves and the results say Clefable is better.
Dawg, did you actually read my post? The premise is that you use the new gimmick to make umbreon as a steel type. Of course as a dark type it’s not an effective wall, that’s what’s always held it back. With a better typing, it actually looks like it could be a very solid wall. It’s just a good candidate for using it defensively

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Dawg, did you actually read my post? The premise is that you use the new gimmick to make umbreon as a steel type. Of course as a dark type it’s not an effective wall, that’s what’s always held it back. With a better typing, it actually looks like it could be a very solid wall. It’s just a good candidate for using it defensively
Clefable is already a better type and can also choose to be another better type, making it a better candidate as it's always been as others have noted.

99% just monotype, but who knows if there are special mons a la gigantamax that do something different.

To the best of our understanding the extra boost is only if the tera-type matches one of the mon's original types. Tera-Psychic volc would just get psychic stab, but tera-fire volc would get fire stab + extra boost, similarly for tera-bug volc.
Oh okay. So Specs Adaptability Porygon Z it is then. Mmmm, quadruple STAB.

Edit:

+0% (regular) - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 226-268 (31.6 - 37.5%)

+25% - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 284-336 (39.7 - 47%)

+50% - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 340-402 (47.6 - 56.3%)

+100% - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 452-534 (63.3 - 74.7%)

Last edited:
Clefable is already a better type and can also choose to be another better type, making it a better candidate as it's always been as others have noted.
Why would you change clefs type? It doesn’t gain much at all, fairy is basically perfect for it. Umbreon basically becomes a better corviknight with this, it’d be good. And it’s not competing with blissey at all, it can actually take a physical hit. You haven’t shown any evidence that as a steel type it’d be bad.

I always buy the first version of each set of games but Koraidon having wheels and running around on legs anyway may just put me off to that for the first time in the series.
That has actually grown on me - the Pokemon is so primitive that it happens to have this technology on its body but doesn't know how to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some lore that the prehistoric people of the region used it as inspiration to invent the wheel.

This has me wondering if there's any good data on the split between sales of different versions since most of the time they're listed together. I'd imagine that the disparity between Sword and Shield was among the greatest of the series; not only is Zacian obviously stronger than Zamazenta from a competitive standpoint, but to the average person a sword is going to be inherently cooler - Star Wars has light sabers, not light shields.

I'm sure the disparity isn't like 3:1 or anything due to the collectors/rabid fans who will buy everything and the people who pair off to cover all the version exclusives (or the parents who do it for two siblings), but I'm curious whether Pokemon went into Sword and Shield packaging the same number of copies of each game. Then, since it seems like they've created a similar disparity in general opinion (futuristic motorcycle = cool, older-looking motorcycle that runs around instead of using its wheels = less so) I wonder if they've decided for whatever reason that having something other than a 50:50 split is desirable.

Not to get too much into speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Koraidon is just as good if not more powerful competitively than Miraidon (likelihood of primitive Fighting type being more of a physical attacker + likelihood of futuristic Electric type being more of a special attacker, especially because it would be too similar to Zekrom otherwise + likelihood of Pokemon based on motorcycles getting Gear Shift). If it isn't and the one that looks less obviously cool is also significantly weaker competitively, that would seem to be pretty clear evidence that they want one version to sell more copies than the other.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
There's two kind of Pokemon. Ones that can't switch into Specs Porygon-Z and Ghost types.
I'm going to be "pessimistic" and assume the Tera boost is a 50% even with Adaptability instead of doubling again, but that's still enough to 2HKO Blissey with Specs Tri Attack 80% of the time. If you want a guarantee 2HKO, you can use Uproar instead. If you want a OHKO Blissey with a Special Attack, Specs Hyper Beam can OHKO. It's not a 100% chance, but it's still possible.

Imagine if something with Adaptability had a strong Priority move, like Wave Crash. Technically we don't know if that's going to be a priority move, but Basculegion looks like they're going to have fun either way. >:D

Edit:

+0% (regular) - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 226-268 (31.6 - 37.5%)

+25% - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 284-336 (39.7 - 47%)

+50% - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 340-402 (47.6 - 56.3%)

+100% - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 452-534 (63.3 - 74.7%)
There's two kind of Pokemon. Ones that can't switch into Specs Porygon-Z and Ghost types.
I'm a huge fan of this one but sadly I'm quite confident it'll end up just being a huge meme or low mmr stomper :D

Kinda like everyone was super hyped for Dynamax PoryZ with Hyperbeam and... it really wasnt cause ultimately it still sits at an awkard speed tier and with a offensive type that cannot hit supereffectively and has common resists :\

Though, I have no doubt that there'll be some massive hyperoffense abusers.
Like, idk... Dracovish or G-Darmanitan who'll get sent straight so ubers (if they're even in the game) :trode:
You thought Fishious Rend was scary? What about Fishous Rend but on steroids? :totodiLUL:

I'm a huge fan of this one but sadly I'm quite confident it'll end up just being a huge meme or low mmr stomper :D

Kinda like everyone was super hyped for Dynamax PoryZ with Hyperbeam and... it really wasnt cause ultimately it still sits at an awkard speed tier and with a offensive type that cannot hit supereffectively and has common resists :\

Though, I have no doubt that there'll be some massive hyperoffense abusers.
Like, idk... Dracovish or G-Darmanitan who'll get sent straight so ubers (if they're even in the game) :trode:
You thought Fishious Rend was scary? What about Fishous Rend but on steroids? :totodiLUL:
I think a lot of things will be more broken than Porygon Z. TBH I wouldn't be surprised to see this crystal thing banned in singles like Dynamax. But I think this will be better than Dynamax for P-Z.

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Max Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 322-380 (45 - 53.2%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack (+50%) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 340-402 (47.6 - 56.3%)

Most notably this isn't limited to 3 turns or negated if a switch is forced. While you don't get double HP the damage output is phenomenal. Things simply do not switch in on this.

*All calcs assume this is a 50% boost and that Specs works with it.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 194-229 (55.1 - 65%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 326-384 (107.2 - 126.3%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 340-402 (86.2 - 102%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 229-270 (57.2 - 67.5%)

I mean yeah you could always just use a Latios or Rillaboom... but that kind of hammers home how brutally busted this crystal thing will be. Looks fun though, I can't wait to mess around with it for 3 days before the inevitable ban.

Last edited:
One thing I realized is that with Tera Types, trapping has a pretty big nerf, especially Magnet Pull.
Any Steel type like Ferrothorn can just become a mono Electric type or something in order to dodge Magnet Pull if they have to.
For Arena Trap and Shadow Tag, you could become Ghost or Flying to escape from trapping. You can also additionally use a Tera Type that beats the user. Like becoming a Dark type against Gothitelle so that its Stored Power doesn’t affect you.
It’s also not like there is that much oppritunity cost either. It would be pretty realistic for Toxapex to run Dark, Tyranitar to run Ghost or Ground or Flying, or for Heatran to run Grass or Water. You would use your Teralize on avoiding traps and lose the original defensive utility, but given how tame Tera types are, it’s not the end of the world, and your opponent brought Dugtrio/Gothitelle to trap specifically your Pokemon, and failed to do so.
I don’t know if this would warrent an unban of Arena Trap and Shadow Tag, as forcing defensive Pokemon to give up their standard utility is still big (not as big as outright fainting your Pokemon), but Magnezone definitely took a huge hit because of this. Plenty of Pokemon will Tera type into Steel types, but no one forces them to and you have team preview as well.

Any Steel type like Ferrothorn can just become a mono Electric type or something in order to dodge Magnet Pull if they have to.
And now the Ferro is 10x worse defensively as now it is stuck as mono electric. You're gonna drop the great defense and.become worse defensively just to not get magnezone'd? Might as well just use a non zone prone pokemon at that point.

For Arena Trap and Shadow Tag, you could become Ghost or Flying to escape from trapping. You can also additionally use a Tera Type that beats the user. Like becoming a Dark type against Gothitelle so that its Stored Power doesn’t affect you.
Pretty much the same as above. I mean your main Dug weak pokemon has to give up their strong stab to avoid being trapped isn't much different from running shed shell. And in the case of Gothitelle, uh well... Enjoy being PP stalled by Goth.

Giving up your use of Terastalize like that kind of just proves both abilities are still every bit as stupid, because you could alternatively be using it for much more practical purposes.

but Magnezone definitely took a huge hit because of this. Plenty of Pokemon will Tera type into Steel types, but no one forces them to and you have team preview as well.
I'll repeat, but a steel type giving up their coveted defensive abilities to avoid being trapped but now being much worse defensively, is not a really good sell. Ironically, this actually BUFFS Magnezone as now it can probably trap even Heatran by becoming a non fire/ground vulnerable typing.

And now the Ferro is 10x worse defensively as now it is stuck as mono electric. You're gonna drop the great defense and.become worse defensively just to not get magnezone'd? Might as well just use a non zone prone pokemon at that point.
To survive, yes.
A living Ferrothorn that is Electric (or Poison, or Ground, or pure Grass, or any type that is not Steel or weak to Magnezone’s attacks) is better than a dead Ferrothorn.
Additionally, you would only need to do this against Magnezone teams. Since Tera Types are more often background stuff on your team, there is no reason why you shouldn’t have a Tera Type that lets it escaoe from Magnezone, unless it really needs Water or Flying and can’t pass up up those types for some reason.

Pretty much the same as above. I mean your main Dug weak pokemon has to give up their strong stab to avoid being trapped isn't much different from running shed shell. And in the case of Gothitelle, uh well... Enjoy being PP stalled by Goth.
It's very different though. Running Shed Shell means you're running it in every battle no matter what, even ones where you're not playing against a trapper. In battles that are not against a trapper, you do not need to lose your stab. At worst, you lose the potential opportunity of using another tera-type on that mon (including but not limited to superstab), but your base mon should sitll be functionally the same.

I also don't think this makes trapping any healthier, but it's still a pretty large distinction in how it warps and affects your teambuilding.

A living Ferrothorn that is Electric (or Poison, or Ground, or pure Grass, or any type that is not Steel or weak to Magnezone’s attacks) is better than a dead Ferrothorn.
A Ferro with a neutered typing is about as effective aa a dead Ferro. Now there is a significantly shortened of what it can switch into, threaten. Which heavily worsens its effectiveness.

Additionally, you would only need to do this against Magnezone teams. Since Tera Types are more often background stuff on your team, there is no reason why you shouldn’t have a Tera Type that lets it escaoe from Magnezone, unless it really needs Water or Flying and can’t pass up up those
Tera is far more going to be used offensive. It is gonna be very relevant in every game. And giving up your Tera slot for that is a huge waste. There are defensive applications (fairy Blissey cough cough).

It's very different though. Running Shed Shell means you're running it in every battle no matter what, even ones where you're not playing against a trapper. In battles that are not against a trapper, you do not need to lose your stab. At worst, you lose the potential opportunity of using another tera-type on that mon (including but not limited to superstab), but your base mon should sitll be functionally the same.
The problem is this is still a huge opportunities cost of not using it on an offensive pokemon.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Why would you change clefs type? It doesn’t gain much at all, fairy is basically perfect for it. Umbreon basically becomes a better corviknight with this, it’d be good. And it’s not competing with blissey at all, it can actually take a physical hit. You haven’t shown any evidence that as a steel type it’d be bad.
Read the posts already made earlier in this thread like being able to become a bulky Water by using its access to Water Pulse to deal with Heatran switchins as one example.

Speaking of Heatran, it's doubtful Steel Umbreon is going to appreciate Tera Fire Heatran with an even harder hitting Magma Storm trap and is a far more reliable Taunt and Toxic user anyway.

Another Pokemon that could make great use of Tera would be Clefable. A Tera Fire-type lets it get STAB on Flamethrower+ neutrality to Steel, letting it smash its normal checks more reliably (+Magic Guard nullifies a potential SR Weakness). Tera Water-type gives a neutrality to Steel and gives Clefable a stronger Water Pulse to beat up heatran. Tera Ghost-type would be really awesome, giving Clefable strong secondary STAB in Shadow Ball AND allowing it to switch out of Heatran after it uses Magma Storm.
I already pointed out the fact Clefable has always been meta and runs alot of the same stuff Umbreon tries to but fails to. That's pretty much common OU knowledge.

I'm not saying Umbreon will be bad as Steel. Not once did I make that claim. I said Umbreon is already heavily outclassed and as others already pointed out, a mechanic every monster has access to just gives the good monsters more options.

Last edited:
It was mentioned earlier but here's what the preorder ball screenshots look like from the seven net shopping special bonus, also updated on serebii's screenshots page. https://7net.omni7.jp/general/027003/220804pokemonsv

From the japanese website, a look at the amazon.jp preorder "Sports Backpack (Floral Pattern)" + a fork and spoon.

The English pokemon center site has also updated with more shots of the same preorder backpack.
https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/716-97016/pokemon-scarlet-and-pokemon-violet-double-pack
1659662424524.png
1659662441231.png

To survive, yes.
Additionally, you would only need to do this against Magnezone teams. Since Tera Types are more often background stuff on your team, there is no reason why you shouldn’t have a Tera Type that lets it escaoe from Magnezone, unless it really needs Water or Flying and can’t pass up up those types for some reason.
The thing is that it’s better to have a living Pokemon than a dead one, and the team building cost is pretty minimal.
Most defensive Pokemon will run Tera Types that compliment their natural type, even if it is not the intended Tera user of the team. Like Toxapex would run Dark and Teralize in a match up where the Psychic types are more threatening than the Fighting types.
For Trappers, they would need to factor in all the possible defensive Teralizes possible to do their job. Additionally, the entire team of the trapper has to account for all the possible ways the opponent’s team changes their defensive cores. If Heatran is Teralizing into say a Grass type, it does so to have a better match up against the opposing team, and ONLY when it needs to.
Opponent using Rain team and you don’t really have anything else to Teralize? Teralize Heatran into a Grass type. Sand Rush Excadrill and Landorus-T on their team while Volcarona is not? Teralize Heatran to take advantage of them. Dugtrio is on their team? Teralize when it traps you so that you can eliminate it and keep Heatran alive. You can also have Heatran be Flying if you want to. It would throw off all the Dugtrio teams that were expecting Heatran to become Grass and planned on taking advantage of it.
This is also why this is different from Shed Shell. You can’t just run leftovers, and suddenly switch to Shed Shell when you want. With Teralizer, you can.
I don’t expect AT or ST to be unbanned, but I do expect Magnet Pull to drop in viablility by a large margin.

It was mentioned earlier but here's what the preorder ball screenshots look like from the seven net shopping special bonus, also updated on serebii's screenshots page. https://7net.omni7.jp/general/027003/220804pokemonsv

From the japanese website, a look at the amazon.jp preorder "Sports Backpack (Floral Pattern)" + a fork and spoon.

The English pokemon center site has also updated with more shots of the same preorder backpack.
https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/716-97016/pokemon-scarlet-and-pokemon-violet-double-pack
View attachment 444896View attachment 444897
Little odd that the bonus this time is just otherwise normal balls, instead of hte apricorn balls

The thing is that it’s better to have a living Pokemon than a dead one, and the team building cost is pretty minimal.
Most defensive Pokemon will run Tera Types that compliment their natural type, even if it is not the intended Tera user of the team. Like Toxapex would run Dark and Teralize in a match up where the Psychic types are more threatening than the Fighting types.
For Trappers, they would need to factor in all the possible defensive Teralizes possible to do their job. Additionally, the entire team of the trapper has to account for all the possible ways the opponent’s team changes their defensive cores. If Heatran is Teralizing into say a Grass type, it does so to have a better match up against the opposing team, and ONLY when it needs to.
Opponent using Rain team and you don’t really have anything else to Teralize? Teralize Heatran into a Grass type. Sand Rush Excadrill and Landorus-T on their team while Volcarona is not? Teralize Heatran to take advantage of them. Dugtrio is on their team? Teralize when it traps you so that you can eliminate it and keep Heatran alive. You can also have Heatran be Flying if you want to. It would throw off all the Dugtrio teams that were expecting Heatran to become Grass and planned on taking advantage of it.
This is also why this is different from Shed Shell. You can’t just run leftovers, and suddenly switch to Shed Shell when you want. With Teralizer, you can.
I don’t expect AT or ST to be unbanned, but I do expect Magnet Pull to drop in viablility by a large margin.
I think magnet pull will be better if anything since Magnezone can KO the Steel-types it traps faster w/ Tera Power Fire / Fighting (assuming this is an actual attack).

If the Steel-type Terras, then its still a win for Zone since half the reason you wanna trap the Steel-type in the first place is because they resist your attacks. Cool, Ferrothorn terras into a Ground-type. Its still no longer a steel-type, letting something else like Rillaboom sweep easier.

I also have a hunch that the Pokemon would need to Tera first before being able to switch out, giving Zone a turn to do whatever it wants.

On top of this, a lot of Pokemon like Hydreigon will wanna Tera into a Steel-type, so Magnezone can trap and remove those, though a player can play around this tbf.

I doubt Magnet Pull will be any less useful than it is now, for two reasons:
1) a Steel-type trading away its resistances to avoid being trapped is much more situational than the opposite scenario: a mon Terastallizing into a Steel-type to gain all the defensive boons of that typing
2) usually, the point of Magnet Pull is to break your opponent's Steel mons to pave the way for a teammate's sweep, usually a physical sweeper that can't break through Corv/Skarm/Ferro. Forcing them to change type accomplishes the exact same goal.
everyone from this game looks like they use tiktok. some of the ugliest human designs in the series for sure
I've been thinking about this post for over 24 hours and I still have no idea what it's supposed to mean. Is 'use TikTok' the new 'woke'? What are the visual signifiers of TikTok use??

Not when the pokemon's effectiveness is neutered to the point where it can't do its job anymore. Also the cost isn't. You're using your use of tera on that mon. For... What.

Ohhhhh now I see. Do you think all 6 pokemon on a team will be able to use it in the same battle? Because i guarantee that isn't happening.

If Heatran is Teralizing into say a Grass type, it does so to have a better match up against the opposing team, and ONLY when it needs to.
There is no scenario off the top of my head it would use it like this. Heatran would use it to further bolster its already high offensive power. Imagine trying to switch into boosted magma storms now. Or eruptions.

Opponent using Rain team and you don’t really have anything else to Teralize? Teralize Heatran into a Grass type.
Sand Rush Excadrill and Landorus-T on their team while Volcarona is not? Teralize Heatran to take advantage of them.
Don't have anything? A good team will always think of that in the building process. You are not picking the tera type on fly during battle. That happens in the builder.

Dugtrio is on their team? Teralize when it traps you so that you can eliminate it and keep Heatran alive. You can also have Heatran be Flying if you want to. It would throw off all the Dugtrio teams that were expecting Heatran to become Grass and planned on taking advantage of it.
And by teralizing in that manner the pokemon in question become much less effective. Simply being alive doesn't mean they auto work. Heatran works so well because of the excellent typing. Replace it with some mono typing and it becomes much lsss effective, it becomes far less able to tank the wide range of attacks it can now.

I don’t expect AT or ST to be unbanned, but I do expect Magnet Pull
To kind of echo the above post by Cobalt, making a steel trade its coveted resistances away because of Magnezone is still the same effect as trapping and removing it because noa they can't do their job nearly as effectively.

If anything Zone gets a lot better by being to teralize itself and beat steels it couldn't before. As well as the influx of steel tera Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Continuing from my Last Post, let's finish what's on the News page:

Region of Paldea:
Got the region's name finally, Paldea. Seen several suggestions of what its etymology is, most agree the "-aldea" part is from the Spanish word, well, "Aldea" which means "Village". Where the "P" comes from is where there's a few suggestions. "Pal" (as in a friend) is the surface level suggestion, though there's others like "Pueblo" which means "Town" (matching with Aldea's definition), "Paideia" which means "Education/Learning", and there's also "Pangea" to go with the past/future theme (technically "Pangea" is the name of the previous supercontinent but you get the point).

Adding my two cents, I decided to look up some Spanish anagrams of "Paldea". Most obvious in both English and Spanish is the word "Pedal", which could relate to the Mascot Legendaries being motorcycles (and maybe possibly one of the storylines?). Three other words which stand out to me is "Apelad/Apelda/Apela" which means "Appeal", "Pelada/Pelad/Pela" which means "Peeled", and "Palea/Pala" which means "Shovel".

I'll take a closer look at the map later since by not everyone else has and found the most interesting features (like where all the Gyms are).

"Treasure Hunt" & Three Stories:
Getting into the story, all trainers at the school will be given independent study assignment called the "Treasure Hunt" where you're sent out to the Paldea region to find something to accomplish. So, no Pokemon critics, my character isn't skipping school because it's something mom saw on TV/the Professor asked me to complete the Dex, I'm actually on a school assignment this time!

While the "Treasure Hunt" itself is vague, we are told there's three main stories that the player can participate in on and do in any order we like. However for right now we're only told one of them and it's of course the Pokemon League Challenge. Before looking into that though, we're POSSIBLY shown two things which relate to the other two. One image I can only explain as a hot rod delivery van with speakers on the side; with the Mascot Legendaries being motorcycles your ride around maybe one story involves traversing the region and maybe racing. The other image is the player and one of the friends/rivals(?) looking at a crystal flower; guessing this one is going to be about learning about the region, possibly helping the version exclusive Professor in your game.

Pokemon League Challenge, you know the deal: there's 8 Gyms. BUT, to stick with the open world theme, they're finally letting us challenge the Gyms in any order we want! We're told we can just challenge the Gyms as we come across them or purposely seek out the stronger Gym Leaders... which is a but odd suggestion. Like, sure, you can challenge the stronger Gyms first, but wouldn't the more logical suggestion be challenging the Gyms you have the advantage over first? Makes me curious if there's a reason you'd want to face the Gyms which for your would be a tougher challenge, like since you're battling them early they're not as strong thus not have to worry about later. I'm not going to speculate how they decided to do the Leveling progression, with the open nature it seems like having set levels may not be the way to go and have a way for the game to adapt the Gym Leader's Pokemon to be worthy challenges.

Interestingly they're calling the order we choose our own "Victory Road", which makes me wonder if there's no actual Victory Road? No final dungeon, which may make sense with how they seem to be handling the Pokemon League: Once we get all the Badges we're not challenging a Pokemon League per se but rather being allowed to take the "Champion Assessment". If we pass the assessment we're given the "Champion Rank", so it doesn't even sound like there's a singular Champion, as in a singular trainer who is considered the strongest in all of Paldea, this time around! The Champion Assessment is likely going to be a series of battles equivalent to the "Elite Four" & final "Champion" battle. But, sticking with the multiple stories feature, getting the Champion Rank is far from the end (unless you decide to make it the end).

Oh, and here's the symbol for the Pokemon League, I'm guessing it's shaped like the mountains we saw the Mascot Legendaries atop of?

Customization:
One last thing before moving onto the new Characters and Pokemon (I don't really have anything to say about the Union Circle, it's the multiplayer component and I guess I look forward to using it), they make a quick mention of some additional customization options: We can now change the shape of our eyes and mouths. I guess that's nice, not really the customization options which I think needed focusing on (like if you want our in-game character to more resemble us give us a more full range of skin colors; maybe let us slightly adjust height and weight; actually does anyone really make their in-game character look like them aside having the same skin color?).

Also it implies that, no matter what clothing we get, it's going to be some kind of school uniform. The trailers having all the characters stick to a school uniform wasn't just to stick to the school theme. It specifically mentions the base uniform has four styles, but I imagine different patterns and accessories that can be put over it like jackets will give the player some more room to customize. A bit disappointing, but school rules or school rules. Also, bottom pick hint of a photo mode?

CHARACTERS:
We got introduced to 5 new characters. Not going to go over what the site says about them, just gonna give my quick general opinions:

• Director Clavell: Poor guy is already being labelled as the twist villain, lol. I like that his blazer color changes with what Academy is in the game you go to (BTW nothing to really say about the Academies, at least not from what's shown on the site). Thought the Professor was going to be in charge of the school, like Clavell feels like they're splitting off something the Professors could have done and worried they may be spreading character roles thin. Like is he going to serve any significant role outside of the Academy after sending everyone off on the Treasure Hunt, and is it a role that couldn't been handled by another existing character?

• Jacq: Interesting that so far we've only seen a "Violet" version of Jacq, or does he just not have a "Scarlet" version (and there's another teacher who's wearing mostly orange). Unlike Clavell, Jacq feels like a needed character as the Professor isn't going to every student's homeroom teacher, if any at all. Though yet again Jacq takes something away from the Professors, he's the one who developed the Pokedex App for the Rotom Phone. Now I'm starting to wonder if it isn't Clavell who feels unnecessary but the Professors themselves. Clavell runs the school, Jacq developed the Pokedex, Professors what do YOU do at the school and in the game aside giving out the Starter (something which another character like Clavell could have handled)?

• Arven & Penny: Three stories means three friends/rivals. Nemona looks to be the rival for the Pokemon League Story; makes sense as she's a good battler. Arven is the friend/rival seen with the player looking at the crystal flower in the story that I speculate is about helping the Professors research Paldea's history (if they even do that); sounds fitting as he sounds & looks like someone who knows how to survive out in the wild (though is gonna need someone to bail him out when he angers a territorial Pokemon). That just leaves Penny and whatever story the hot rod delivery van is a part of; she's at least dressed the part of a "wild rebel" character though not quite the personality so we'll see what's that about (so are we taking bets that she's hiding a Legendary Pokemon in her Eevee backpack?).

• Grusha: How did it take this long to get an Ice-type Gym Leader, let alone Specialist, who is an athlete in a snow sport? We've had a scholar, old man, noblewoman, school girl, actor, sea captain, and celebrity mom... an odd list of Ice-type specialists with only a few having a weak connection to ice/cold. But better late then never I suppose. Looks to fit the part, hair certainly looks like you could snowboard off it. Now is he hiding his face behind his scarf because he's cold or is he hiding something, maybe something relating to him having retired from snowboarding? Or it could be a design gimmick where, once he gets fired up during a battle, he reveals his full "game" face.

POKEMON:
And that just leaves the new Pokemon... oh I wish. I think for right now I'll finish on my opinion of the Pokemon. I'll take a look at everyone's comments tomorrow (as well as comb through some additional stuff like the new trailer, map, GamExplain videos, and other little articles here and there).

• Paldean Wooper: Of all the Pokemon to get a skull-and-crossbones motif, Wooper was not on my radar. An interesting choice to say the least, especially since the decision to do this likely came from normal Wooper apparently covering itself with a poisonous film while on land which causes paralysis when touched (Wooper did get some Poisonous moves, including Toxic, via TM, with them adding Toxic to its movepool in Gen VII). It's simple with a few changes but enough to get the change across (and keep it looking cute, though you probably don't want to touch it anymore. I especially like making its belly stripes look like a spine & rib cage). However there's one major thing I noticed: even though it lost its Water-type it still retains Water Absorb, meaning despite being Ground-type it's not weak to Water! It's the only Pokemon with Water Absorb to have that distinction, pretty neat and adds a level of mind games... if for some reason you want to play one with Poison Point. Okay, maybe a better analysis would be it makes it a nice switch-in to Water-types. So question is does it still evolve into a Quagsire, and if it does then does that Quagsire evolve...

• Fidough: People who hate pun names are gonna hate this gen, lol. Also, are like all pastry & sweets Pokemon now Fairy-types? Okay, strange subcategory for Fairies, unless this is suppose to all lead up to a Tooth Fairy Pokemon. It's cute, its a puppy Pokemon so certainly going to evolve. Speculation is into a cocker spaniel or possibly pug. Though so far all the sweets-based Pokemon needed a gimmick to evolve: Swirlix needed a held item & traded, Milcery needed a held item & player to spin around in place at a certain time, so I can only assume Fidough is going to need a held item (maybe a roller that looks like a bone) and require the player to ride around on the Mascot Legendary when its hot out (but depending on whether you were on land, water, or flying will evolve it into a certain form, each based on a different breed of dog)!

• Cetitan: It wasn't until I checked the site did I learn what it was, a whale. That walks. Huh. Bulbapedia suggests it might be based on a modern Japanese cryptid (as in it was made up on a Japanese forum, similar to Slenderman) called a Ningen, an arctic creature that's all white and is just a head & two feet (and was reportedly "discovered" by a whale research ship. Works for me, otherwise I have no idea what its walking. Aside from that its also based on several arctic whales, the spikes possibly inspired by the Narwhal's tusk horn; which if true is disappointing as the Narwhal's tusk is pretty much a natural spear... and instead of working off that idea they shorten it to horn stubs *SIGH*.
    HOLD ON A MOMENT! I just noticed it's height and weight. nearly 15 feet and 1,500 pounds?! That's longer/bigger than Dragonair, Palkia, normal Kyogre, Altered Girarina, & Zygarde Complete! And that's heavier than Heatran, Regigigas, Snorlax, Avalugg, Metagross, Zygarde Complete, Giratina, Copperajah, & Dialga! Meanwhile, this is how they presented it:

GF, you FAIL at perspective (okay, to be fair, upon closer look the right image does make it look out to be big, certainly bigger than a person... BUT not 15 feet and 1.5k pounds big).
    But of course people aren't talking about the bizarre size & scale discrepancy. No, we're once again talking about how GF had made ANOTHER MIGHTY GLACIER ICE-TYPE. Slow, bulky, and of a Type that does NOT support that type of playstyle. Like, did the Sneasel family sign a contract where it can be the only speedy Ice-type? Oh wait, can't overlook Cetitan, a giant heavy whale walking on stubby feet, for some reason gets the Slush Rush Ability. Surely if they gave it that Ability it'll have a decent Speed stat, right? Ha, so the slowest fully evolved Pokemon to have Slush Rush is Beartic which is 50. BUT THERE'S MORE! The slowest Pokemon to have a Speed Doubling Ability goes to Sunflora who has Chlorophyll and a brisk Speed of 30. Why it makes Carracosta which has Swift Swim look like a speed demon with a Speed of 32. So, yeah, just having a Speed boosting Ability doesn't mean they're going to give it good Speed.
    I guess it still looks neat. Guessing it either has a prevo or just doesn't evolve. I'm actually more learning toward the latter and that's because it's seemingly Grusha's Ace. My reasoning is that, since the Gyms can be battled in any order, at the very least for this gen where it's being done the first time (thus figuring out how to do a system to make the Gym's challenging), they would want the Gym Leader's Pokemon (or at least their Ace) to remain consistent as possible.

That's all from me for now, tomorrow I'll go through comments first so I can stop being like 10+ pages behind on what everyone else is chatting about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 10)