Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hoping for them to cut as many cancer mons as possible, so maybe I can have fun again with battling. I love the possibilities of the Tera mechanic and I think some mons could really shine as long as the power level stays low, at least until the inevitable DLCs
The Krabby & Crabrawler family aren't that powerful that their inclusion would cause much, if any, on the meta power levels. :blobnom:

Anyway, *SIGH*, figures after I open my big mouth about the marks looking manmade, GF serves me my shoe with a side of paint. So it is a new Pokemon, and a lot of my thoughts have been said by others so I don't have much to add. So first some quick responses:

My first impression upon seeing Grafaiai's silhouette was that it looks like an alternate Aipom evolution, since it could plausibly have a hand on its tail like Aipom does. I'm not sure if the potential aye-aye theme supports that idea, even if aye-ayes are also primates.
Yeah, I was just gonna mention how the full body silhouette looks similar to an Aipom, as well as that one head shot, if no one else did. If Grafaiai is an Paldean evo for Aipom that could maybe explain why they went with "aiai" instead of looking more like "aye-aye". BTW, there's no reason Aipom can't evolve into an Aye-Aye Pokemon.

Grafaiai's Japanese name, 「タギングル」, is probably best romanized as "Tagginguru" or "Taggingle". Thought there might be a better clue to what animal it was in another language...but it's just more tag art references
Sounds like the Japanese name is more focused on the tagging theme. I couldn't find any connection between its Japanese name and the Aye-Aye, though I did discover that in Japan "Aye-Aye" is translated as "Ai ai".

What…hold up.
Tagginguru
Oranguru
:ss/Oranguru:
Oranguru's Japanese name is "Yareyuutan".

So, some additional stuff I learned while responding to these posts :

Aye-ayes are members of the lemur family. While reading up on their entry on Wikipedia, I found a particular interesting part (this from ring-tailed lemurs):
Like other lemurs, this species relies strongly on its sense of smell and marks its territory with scent glands. The males perform a unique scent marking behavior called spur marking and will participate in stink fights by marking their tail with their scent and wafting it at opponents.
And, yes, Aye-aye also do things with their scent:
"Regular scent marking with their cheeks and neck is how aye-ayes let others know of their presence and repel intruders from their territory"

"Though foraging is usually solitary, they occasionally forage in groups. Individual movements within the group are coordinated using both vocalisations and scent signals".
Now just replace scent marking with making paint markings and I think it fits. And them using their tails to do "stink fights" could lay credence to it being an Aipom evolution.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What if it uses the Aye-aye freakish fingers to shoot out paint? like a paint gun?
Hmm, OR, if an Aipom evo, maybe the tail hand is now a gland sac which, when pressed, leaks out paint. To better mark territories with the paint, its stubby hands crew long fingernails so that it can both grasp its tail to paint with but also learned to press its nail on the gland sac's opening to make a spray effect.

So I searched the Japanese national dex for Pokemon with "グル" in their name (the part of Grafaiai's Japanese name that doesn't refer to tagging) and here are my results:

Croagunk
Braviary
Lechonk

It was not a helpful search. Apparently グル is just kinda how the L/R sound is spelled in Japanese; it doesn't actually mean anything on its own.

Apparently グル is just kinda how the L/R sound is spelled in Japanese; it doesn't actually mean anything on its own.
Without context it's often quite hard to decipher Japanese names due to the myriad ways to romanize kana, the ambiguity of portmanteaus, and their tendency to borrow from a broader range of other languages. The name roughly romanizes to "Taginguru", but could also romanize as "Tagingur", "Tagingulu", "Tagingru", and so on. "Tagging" seems to be a clear and unambiguous word being incorporated here, but unless the name is a combo of "Tagging" and "Guru" (which might work but offers no explanation on the animal basis), I couldn't wager a guess on what the name is supposed to comprise of.

Anyone else here thinking that Grafaiai could be a Mythical?
They don't reveal mythicals during regular "pre release hype train".
These are generally reserved for RL events, movie releases, etc.

It's also extremely rare that a Mythical is obtainable normally in game in the generation it was introduced into (the only case iirc is Deoxys). After Arceus, I believe every single mythical has been distributed via wi-fi or code distribution or similar shenenigans.

(Notable exceptions: ORAS Deoxys, VC Celebi and Gen 8 Keldeo)

They don't reveal mythicals during regular "pre release hype train".
These are generally reserved for RL events, movie releases, etc.

It's also extremely rare that a Mythical is obtainable normally in game in the generation it was introduced into (the only case iirc is Deoxys). After Arceus, I believe every single mythical has been distributed via wi-fi or code distribution or similar shenenigans.

(Notable exceptions: ORAS Deoxys, VC Celebi and Gen 8 Keldeo)
Only exception is Magearna, not Deoxys, ORAS isn't gen 3.

Only exception is Magearna, not Deoxys, ORAS isn't gen 3.
The "exceptions" were to the distribution methods of being "event only".

The only Mythicals available at any time without relying on external events are the ones I said, plus indeed Magearna (from Home living dex) and I'd guess also Meltan/Melmetal if you own Let's Go.

And uuuh I guess Manaphy if you really really want to push it with the Pokemon Ranger thing

The only Mythicals available at any time without relying on external events are the ones I said, plus indeed Magearna (from Home living dex) and I'd guess also Meltan/Melmetal if you own Let's Go.

And uuuh I guess Manaphy if you really really want to push it with the Pokemon Ranger thing
Anyone with a gen 7 game can get Magearna by scanning a (static, always available) QR code

If we're stretching that much on Manaphy, do we also count the Colosseum Bonus Disc for Jirachi?

Also I think the last Mythical that was encounter-able through an in-game event was Liberty Garden Victini in B1W1. After that the most an in-game Mythical Pokemon gets is typically a short cutscene related to acquiring an item related to its form changes like the Kami-Trio or Keldeo learning Secret Sword.

This may also slightly differ depending on how we count Mythicals just as "need Events/External-to-Game means" or the literal classification. For example, Battle Bond/Ash-Greninja is barred from Battle Spot when "Special Pokemon" (basically Uber level Mascots) are, but is allowed in Battle Facilities. Otherwise I think it qualifies under any other classifications we seem to have (only available through a not-necessarily-monetized Event or additional piece of Pokemon Software), unless they add a more permanent means in Greninja's next Dex appearance ala ORAS Deoxys, now that the 3DS eShop is on a timer and thus so is the SM Demo it is obtained from

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The name roughly romanizes to "Taginguru", but could also romanize as "Tagingur", "Tagingulu", "Tagingru", and so on. "Tagging" seems to be a clear and unambiguous word being incorporated here, but unless the name is a combo of "Tagging" and "Guru" (which might work but offers no explanation on the animal basis), I couldn't wager a guess on what the name is supposed to comprise of.
Say, there's a small primate species called "Galagos" (also known as "Bush Babies"), could that maybe be what the second part of the name is supposed to be a reference to?

Mythicals are just super duper special legendaries. There is nothing else about them other than that. If we have a Mythical based in the Yakuza in Zarude, then anything can be just be made into a Mythical really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 26)