Metagame [SPOILERS] Scarlet & Violet OU Discussion [BAN LIST POST 626]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having fun trying to optimize Cyclizar. Not 100% sure whether Choice Scarf is the optimal item, but here we go:

Cyclizar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Timid / Naive Nature
Tera: Dark
- Shed Tail
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin / U-turn
- Draco Meteor

Scared witless of Dragapult deciding to try to snipe the poor Sub recipient? Suspect Pult will think it outspeeds Cyclizar and stay in? Absolutely smash that Pult apart (preferably on Turn 1) and never worry about that Dragon Darts-using Infiltrator ruining your plans again:

20 SpA Cyclizar Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 318-374 (100.3 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bonus points for also OHKOing opposing Cyclizar with that attack!

You can try investing Attack EVs to hit certain 2HKO thresholds on Ghosts with Knock Off, but max. Attack Jolly Cyclizar fails to OHKO Zoroark-Hisui, for crying out loud.
this is a nice bait set, but unless it gets it's job done early, people are gonna notice real fast that it's not boots, and if it's not boots, theres only so many other things it could be, plus, without boots you're becoming signifigantly worse at what this mon looks to be so good at in the first place, since hazards are gonna wear you down fast even with regen

Discussed the OU potential of Kingambit and it’s ability supreme overlord.

Approved By TPP
unless i missed something new it's already been confirmed that supreme overlord doesn't give you a +1 boost for each fainted mon. i recall reading in the data thread for sv recently that the ability was found to give a 1.2x boost for one fainted mon and then a further 1.1x boost for the rest of the fainted mons, so in total 1.6x which is barely more than +1. again i might have missed something new but i think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the ability.

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
unless i missed something new it's already been confirmed that supreme overlord doesn't give you a +1 boost for each fainted mon. i recall reading in the data thread for sv recently that the ability was found to give a 1.2x boost for one fainted mon and then a further 1.1x boost for the rest of the fainted mons, so in total 1.6x which is barely more than +1. again i might have missed something new but i think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the ability.
Would love if you could link this! I made the video off the info that could be found that’s why I stated rumored as wasn’t confirmed yet.

Edit: Found It! - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ks-thread-data-mechanics.3709515/post-9397904

Last edited:
Are HDB confirmed to return? Meta is going to be wet hot trash if not. Why on earth they gave everyone and their mom hazards while decimating hazard control is far beyond me
Heavy-Duty Boots are confirmed to be in the game. The meta is saved from being completely terrible.

It's because Gamefreak's developers probably play on Showdown in their spare time and hated playing and losing 100-turn matches and often not even making it to 100 turns because they're scrubs, so they decided to extremely limit available Defoggers, make Gholdengo to block Defog and Rapid Spin, and give everything hazards.

Last edited:
Heavy-Duty Boots are confirmed to be in the game. The meta is saved from being completely terrible.

It's because Gamefreak's developers probably play on Showdown in their spare time and hated playing and losing 100-turn matches and often not even making it to 100 turns because they're scrubs, so they decided to extremely limit available Defoggers, make Gholdengo to block Defog and Rapid Spin, and give everything hazards.
Hey, this makes sense due to the Nerf of knock off, scald and recovery in general

Good, it shouldn't be that way to begin with. Although we all can't stand the way Game Freak designs pokemon games, they do have a point of limiting/nerfing certain moves. For the last 2-3 generations, I had to constantly deal with the generic ass Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Chansey stall which many players seem to adore. It was also very strange that Smogon did absolutely nothing to regulate these CHEAP ASS WINS which completely defeats the purpose of a true competitive nature in the metagame, especially for players like me who wished for a much more offensive formatted playstyle. All players would have to do was send out a mon with moves like Recover, Toxic, Leech Seed, and Spikes all on one single mon in order to dominate and shine throughout the metagame. It shouldn't take a single mon over 20 frickin turns just to KO a damn pokemon with all 4 of their moves being status. I've always hated defensive stalls with the absolute f-ing passion. I never thought this day would come, but Game Freak actually managed to nerf tf outta stall mons for the better.

I know I'm not the only one who criticizes the lack of regulation for defensive mons and to increase the usage and potential of offensive opportunities. But I'm very pleased that offensive mons will become much more viable in competitive and hope to stay that way for good.

Last edited:
Good, it shouldn't be that way to begin with. Although we all can't stand the way Game Freak designs pokemon games, they do have a point of limiting/nerfing certain moves. For the last 2-3 generations, I had to constantly deal with the generic ass Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Chansey stall which many players seem to adore. It was also very strange that Smogon did absolutely nothing to regulate these CHEAP ASS WINS which completely defeats the purpose of a true competitive nature in the metagame, especially for players like me who wished for a much more offensive formatted playstyle.
Ferrothorn was never used on any serious stall team. Stall was also pretty weak in Gen 7 with how much power creep and threats there were to cover.

All players would have to do was send out a mon with moves like Recover, Toxic, Leech Seed, and Spikes all on one single mon in order to dominate and shine throughout the metagame. It shouldn't take a single mon over 20 frickin turns just to KO a damn pokemon with all 4 of their moves being status. I've always hated defensive stalls with the absolute f-ing passion. I never thought this day would come, but Game Freak actually managed to nerf tf outta stall mons for the better.

I know I'm not the only one who criticizes the lack of regulation for defensive mons and to increase the usage and potential of offensive opportunities. But I'm very pleased that offensive mons will become much more viable in competitive and hope to stay that way for good.
No mon had a set with all four of those mons, so it was in your imagination only. And almost no serious team used a mon with 4 status moves unless they were using Pyukumuku. If your team has no way of beating Ferrothorn and Pex, you should consider rebuilding your entire team.

this is a nice bait set, but unless it gets it's job done early, people are gonna notice real fast that it's not boots, and if it's not boots, theres only so many other things it could be, plus, without boots you're becoming signifigantly worse at what this mon looks to be so good at in the first place, since hazards are gonna wear you down fast even with regen
Boots Cyclizar can't stand Dragapult anyway (unless it Teras), which might explain why the only other Cyclizar sets I've seen (including all of them in one Day 1 team dump) are Scarf and not Boots. By the time my opponent has noticed it's not Boots, especially since I'll probably lead with Cyclizar, either a Sub has been passed or a Pult has been smoked (or a Scarfer has revealed itself, or I miss with Draco Meteor, or Pult itself Teraed).

Ferrothorn was never used on any serious stall team. Stall was also pretty weak in Gen 7 with how much power creep and threats there were to cover.
In gen 7, they introduced Toxapex who shined throughout the entire competitive series in SM. Ferrothorn always remained in OU in gen 7; not to also mention Skarmory and defensive Clefable were very common as well.

No mon had a set with all four of those mons, so it was in your imagination only. And almost no serious team used a mon with 4 status moves unless they were using Pyukumuku. If your team has no way of beating Ferrothorn and Pex, you should consider rebuilding your entire team.
To correct myself, I didn't precisely mean that a mon has those 4 exact moves. But the analogy I'm making here is that most stall mons would have at least 3 status moves to rely on cheap wins which ruins the purpose of battling. And maybe instead of rebuilding my entire team because of cheap stall mons like Ferro and Pex was to nerf stall moves which was exactly what they decided to do in this generation for the better.

In gen 7, they introduced Toxapex who shined throughout the entire competitive series in SM. Ferrothorn always remained in OU in gen 7; not to also mention Skarmory and defensive Clefable were very common as well.
Ferrothorn doesn't fit on stall. Magic guard clefable usually isn't on stall. I'm not sure you understand what stall is.

ruins the purpose of battling
What would you say the "purpose of battling is"?

And maybe instead of rebuilding my entire team because of cheap stall mons like Ferro and Pex was to nerf stall moves
Ferrothorn is not a stall mon and isn't affected by the nerfs to recovery moves in any way.

What would you say the "purpose of battling is"?
The purpose of battling in competitive would be a fast paced battle with a high offensive compatibility (with some defensive exceptions) in order to make it more productive. Smogon doesn't do anything to regulate these types of problems and they make it so that defensive mons are WAY LESS LIKELY to be nerfed while offensive mons can be nerfed at the speed of light.

Ferrothorn is not a stall mon and isn't affected by the nerfs to recovery moves in any way.
Any defensive or stall mon that has a high usage of at least 3 status moves is considered to be that type.

Any defensive or stall mon that has a high usage of at least 3 status moves is considered to be that type.
By your own logic ferrothorn isn't a stall mon. It usually runs knock off + body press/power whip/gyro ball. Pex will also sometimes run both scald and knock.

To add something productive to the discussion, how will dire claws work with sleep clause. If you get lucky and get multiple sleeps, will the other ones not take effect?

To add something productive to the discussion, how will dire claws work with sleep clause. If you get lucky and get multiple sleeps, will the other ones not take effect?
Sleep cause is one of those things that aren't more complex/get into more arguments about because a lot of the "small chance of sleep" stuff is unviable, so it doesnt get discussed I feel. If dire claws sees any use, I guess one could argue about "you can use it but if you put someone to sleep you lose", or greying out the move/make it fail

By your own logic ferrothorn isn't a stall mon. It usually runs knock off + body press/power whip/gyro ball. Pex will also sometimes run both scald and knock.

Probably how it works normally. If Dire Claw would have put the opponent's mon to sleep, but they have another mon in the back that's also asleep, then Sleep Clause Mod will activate. Something similar happens when you use Sleep Powder on multiple Pokemon. The opponent doesn't actually get put to Sleep when they should, instead the Sleep Clause Mod activates and the battle continues, instead of you just auto-losing.

Hey Everyone, this may be a very early question but I am planning on revolving my team on Paradox Suicune being the ace since even though it has not been released it is still my favorite design out of all of them. There have been rumors that the Pokémon will be Water/Dragon or at the very least Water/Something when it comes out on DLC. My question is which starter will be a better partner to Paradox Suicune? Skeledirge or Meowscarada? I know it is not coming out until next year but I am planning on getting the game when it comes out and would like my starter that I have from the beginning to be a nice support for my favorite legendary when it comes out.

Hey Everyone, this may be a very early question but I am planning on revolving my team on Paradox Suicune being the ace since even though it has not been released it is still my favorite design out of all of them. There have been rumors that the Pokémon will be Water/Dragon or at the very least Water/Something when it comes out on DLC. My question is which starter will be a better partner to Paradox Suicune? Skeledirge or Meowscarada? I know it is not coming out until next year but I am planning on getting the game when it comes out and would like my starter that I have from the beginning to be a nice support for my favorite legendary when it comes out.
Without any information on its stat spread, ability, and movepool, and only speculation as to what its type may be, there’s no real good way to speculate as to what partner is going to be good for it. However, if I had to guess, I’m not confident any of the starters are going to end up being the best partners for it. I recommend choosing whichever one you like the best, and then if you want to run a different starter alongside it to support it when we know more about it, I’m sure someone will be willing to trade you one later down the line. Hope this helps!

Without any information on its stat spread, ability, and movepool, and only speculation as to what its type may be, there’s no real good way to speculate as to what partner is going to be good for it. However, if I had to guess, I’m not confident any of the starters are going to end up being the best partners for it. I recommend choosing whichever one you like the best, and then if you want to run a different starter alongside it to support it when we know more about it, I’m sure someone will be willing to trade you one later down the line. Hope this helps!
Let me rephrase my question, out of Skeledirge or Meowscarada which one will allow more diversity in a competitive team? I am having a hard time choosing which one and decided that the one that is the strongest competitively and would allow enough diversity so that a certain water Pokémon can join the team later on should be my choice.

Yeah, I can't stand these stall mons
1668581924236.png

In all seriousness, "stall" does not mean "any team with a defensive Pokemon", it refers to a specific type of team which consists of 6 (with some exceptions) defensive Pokemon which are intended to win mostly through passive damage. The vast majority of teams which use defensive Pokemon do have dedicated offensive Pokemon, and this type of team referred to as "balance" rather than "stall". Ferrothorn is in fact rarely used on stall teams, it is usually on balance or bulky offense teams.

Since the overall power level of new mons and mechanics is quite high, I hope a lot of ubers (expecially defensive ones) will be retested
I don't think it makes a lot of sense to drop former Ubers into OU before the DLCs since the best mons from past generations aren't in the game yet. Lando-T and Heatran and many OU staples being gone will probably make it a lot harder to check a large portion of the meta, and hazards being everywhere makes Pokemon that were broken in past generations even more broken. Can you imagine dropping Zama-C in the tier with Lando-T not in it or Heatran not available to deter Future Point? Zama-C, if it gets tested this generation, should not be a priority right now when the meta is highly unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)