Metagame Terastallization Tiering Discussion [ UPDATE POST #1293]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we need all of the input. I have spent hours and hours everyday discussing this and likely will continue to. To just pause discussion is silly.

Also, I said a few weeks, not until Home. Last I checked I have a right to set people's expectation and be transparent as it is my job. Not sure what else you want me to say, but if anything, we may have a test now and then another after Home

Nah, no callout. Every stance has merit and I accept that. I just need it to be clear to people to continue discussing, playing, exploring, etc.
then that's fair, sorry if I was a bit aggro

for not a one-liner, do you think it'd be a good idea to continuously make surveys like last gen, but specifically about tera?

"Do you believe (X Threat) is made broken by Terastilization, or not?"

"Do you believe Terastilization is competitive, or not?"

etc. etc. etc. over the course of the weeks, so we can more accurately see the development of the metagame and how tera is being received?

Because we need all of the input. I have spent hours and hours everyday discussing this and likely will continue to. To just pause discussion is silly.
Yeah, my verbiage was poor, on me, I was more eluding to why we were aiming to try to take action so swiftly, rather than pause a discussion board, my bad.

Also, seconding the sentiment for the thanks for clarity that we plan to retest post Home if we do take action.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Yeah, my verbiage was poor, on me, I was more eluding to why we were aiming to try to take action so swiftly, rather than pause a discussion board, my bad.

Also, seconding the sentiment for the thanks for clarity that we plan to retest post Home if we do take action.
Right now everything is delicate and on the table. It’s important you guys know we are in this with you and not going to risk any ban or restriction without proper measures and confidence. I want the tier to be fun and competitive like you all, but making it competitive is the first priority of course!

Breaking news: setup sweeper OHKOs offensive mons with super-effective coverage and 2HKOs walls if you let it set up for free! OU is in shambles!
i feel like this sounds funny and maybe even true at first glance but reminder that this is a +1 attack from a mon with DD, not some swords dance sweeper you can simply outspeed, with more normal checks and balances lol

having to run unaware or super good priority is not that healthy in a metagame, and while some may scoff at me for mentioning this (maybe natdex had the right idea in quickbanning it)

Tera is EXTREMELY problematic for the metagame in my opinion. I won't bother writing a lengthy post about why this is, you've probably seen a million already, I'm not scrolling through this whole thread. What I will do is go through each mon on the radar and see if they're worth being on there without Tera. I want to emphasize, everything here is just what I think would happen. Feel free to argue for or against anything here.

:annihilape: A lot of the strength of Annihilape comes from the fact it can Terastalize to beat its checks. Whether it be Water, Steel, or even Poison, it can easily beat whatever it needs to with that Tera slot. If you ban Tera, Annihilape becomes manageable by several strong special attackers, like Dragapult, Iron Valiant, and Gholdengo if they can come in on a slow turn or after a sack. Personal verdict: Off the radar with Tera gone
:roaring-moon: Perhaps the most obvious abuser of offensive Tera. The most prominent example is Tera Flying Booster Energy Acrobatics, which absolutely rips apart most teams with the support of Crunch and Earthquake, along with other options like Outrage or Taunt to stop status or just blow the fuck up out of everything. If you ban Tera, the most broken set goes, but it is very possible that Roaring Moon could be very strong without Tera anyways. However, due to teams not having to worry about Acrobatics as much, they can focus more efforts into checking those other options. Personal verdict: Might be off the radar with Tera gone
:chien-pao: This thing CAN abuse Tera very effectively...but its still good without it. Really, really good. Honestly, I'm unsure of this thing to be on the radar even with Tera, but it is and I have to include it because of that. I think it makes sense to say that it's still gonna be radar worthy after a Tera ban if it's on the radar without one. Personal verdict: Might be on the radar with Tera gone
:gholdengo: Not a Tera abuser in the slightest. Personal verdict: On the radar with Tera gone
:cyclizar: Not a Tera abuser in the slightest. Personal verdict: On the radar with Tera gone

I'll also go over some mons that I believe to be particularly problematic Tera abusers, although these aren't on the radar.
:chi-yu: Clicks Overheat and wins. Specs and Scarf just dish out absolutely absurd damage calcs with Tera Fire. Its Specs Overheat without Tera does about 90% to specially defensive Clodsire, and it just outright OHKOs with it. I'm not confident in saying that this would be broken without Tera. Without that free Adaptability on top of Beads of Ruin, it becomes a lot easier to handle defensively, letting balance have a way better time.
:garganacl: It just doesn't fucking die. IDef BPress is a concept I always wanted to see explored in gen 8, and now I realize just how horrifying it is in gen 9. Garganacl with Tera Fairy can wall pretty much everything, and Salt Cure wears down its checks horribly fast, while not being worn down itself thanks to Purifying Salt blocking Toxic. Without Tera Fairy, it would have to suffer through that debilitating Rock typing. I think it's safe to say that Garganacl wouldn't even be mentioned in this post without Tera Fairy.
:iron-valiant: An underrated Tera abuser from what I've seen, this can rip whole teams open by just having the right coverage move. That coverage becomes significantly more scary when it gets STAB and the ability to take one hit. It isn't BULKY, but it can live Dragonite's Tera Normal Extreme Speed, so having those resists can really be a lifesaver. I've mainly been using Tera Electric, but Tera Ghost is also horrifying for cleanly OHKOing Gholdengo with Shadow Ball. Without Tera, it'd still be great, but it would not have those "Delete the opposing thing that should probably be checking me right now" buttons available as easily. It'd have to invest a turn in using Calm Mind or lock itself into one move with Specs.
:dragonite: It clicks the Extreme Speed button, and fucking everything dies. I've been running Choice Band personally, which has dizzyingly high damage for a priority move once you go Tera Normal. However, Dragon Dance is the most common set, usually in conjunction with Shed Tail Cyclizar. Dragonite is a weird one to evaluate, because it's using two broken elements(Tera and Shed Tail). However, it is an extremely good abuser of Tera, so I think it's worth including here. Without Tera, it would not have those extremely speedy STAB Extreme Speeds, making it easier to handle for most physical walls.

Tera is EXTREMELY problematic for the metagame in my opinion. I won't bother writing a lengthy post about why this is, you've probably seen a million already, I'm not scrolling through this whole thread. What I will do is go through each mon on the radar and see if they're worth being on there without Tera. I want to emphasize, everything here is just what I think would happen. Feel free to argue for or against anything here.

:annihilape: A lot of the strength of Annihilape comes from the fact it can Terastalize to beat its checks. Whether it be Water, Steel, or even Poison, it can easily beat whatever it needs to with that Tera slot. If you ban Tera, Annihilape becomes manageable by several strong special attackers, like Dragapult, Iron Valiant, and Gholdengo if they can come in on a slow turn or after a sack. Personal verdict: Off the radar with Tera gone
:roaring-moon: Perhaps the most obvious abuser of offensive Tera. The most prominent example is Tera Flying Booster Energy Acrobatics, which absolutely rips apart most teams with the support of Crunch and Earthquake, along with other options like Outrage or Taunt to stop status or just blow the fuck up out of everything. If you ban Tera, the most broken set goes, but it is very possible that Roaring Moon could be very strong without Tera anyways. However, due to teams not having to worry about Acrobatics as much, they can focus more efforts into checking those other options. Personal verdict: Might be off the radar with Tera gone
:chien-pao: This thing CAN abuse Tera very effectively...but its still good without it. Really, really good. Honestly, I'm unsure of this thing to be on the radar even with Tera, but it is and I have to include it because of that. I think it makes sense to say that it's still gonna be radar worthy after a Tera ban if it's on the radar without one. Personal verdict: Might be on the radar with Tera gone
:gholdengo: Not a Tera abuser in the slightest. Personal verdict: On the radar with Tera gone
:cyclizar: Not a Tera abuser in the slightest. Personal verdict: On the radar with Tera gone

I'll also go over some mons that I believe to be particularly problematic Tera abusers, although these aren't on the radar.
:chi-yu: Clicks Overheat and wins. Specs and Scarf just dish out absolutely absurd damage calcs with Tera Fire. Its Specs Overheat without Tera does about 90% to specially defensive Clodsire, and it just outright OHKOs with it. I'm not confident in saying that this would be broken without Tera. Without that free Adaptability on top of Beads of Ruin, it becomes a lot easier to handle defensively, letting balance have a way better time.
:garganacl: It just doesn't fucking die. IDef BPress is a concept I always wanted to see explored in gen 8, and now I realize just how horrifying it is in gen 9. Garganacl with Tera Fairy can wall pretty much everything, and Salt Cure wears down its checks horribly fast, while not being worn down itself thanks to Purifying Salt blocking Toxic. Without Tera Fairy, it would have to suffer through that debilitating Rock typing. I think it's safe to say that Garganacl wouldn't even be mentioned in this post without Tera Fairy.
:iron-valiant: An underrated Tera abuser from what I've seen, this can rip whole teams open by just having the right coverage move. That coverage becomes significantly more scary when it gets STAB and the ability to take one hit. It isn't BULKY, but it can live Dragonite's Tera Normal Extreme Speed, so having those resists can really be a lifesaver. I've mainly been using Tera Electric, but Tera Ghost is also horrifying for cleanly OHKOing Gholdengo with Shadow Ball. Without Tera, it'd still be great, but it would not have those "Delete the opposing thing that should probably be checking me right now" buttons available as easily. It'd have to invest a turn in using Calm Mind or lock itself into one move with Specs.
:dragonite: It clicks the Extreme Speed button, and fucking everything dies. I've been running Choice Band personally, which has dizzyingly high damage for a priority move once you go Tera Normal. However, Dragon Dance is the most common set, usually in conjunction with Shed Tail Cyclizar. Dragonite is a weird one to evaluate, because it's using two broken elements(Tera and Shed Tail). However, it is an extremely good abuser of Tera, so I think it's worth including here. Without Tera, it would not have those extremely speedy STAB Extreme Speeds, making it easier to handle for most physical walls.
okay no seriously y'all in these posts stop bringing up roaring moon

it's literally mega salamence lite with an item slot. it's not that difficult to imagine it'd be banned without tera, or even in a meta like gen 8 ou

just look at the calcs, braindead moveset, you know: item slot (only real downside of mega salamence) and while it's not as bulky, it still gets free turns honestly

if not for tera giving defensive counterplay and donbozo it'd be gone immediately

again, natdex had it quickbanned and that is literally a tier with megas, z moves and every non-ubers pokemon ever. lmao. If you want you can try to argue that was wrong too, but frankly these roaring moon arguments are verging on literal cope

For what it's worth, we're unlikely to create any type of suspect on Tera for at least the next week or two still. It’s too early, there are too many options, and we lack a consensus (not even particularly close to one either). I really want to make sure we get this right and stress on the details rather than anything being done haphazardly.

There is still discussion to be had as to what the appropriate avenue is, in my opinion, and I think limiting the conversation to the two extremes of fully allowing it and fully banning it would be doing the metagame a disservice. There’s merit to restrictions that can be done within good ideological faith such as restricting Tera to previously existing STABs. I am also coming around to considering limiting it to one Pokemon given some of the above posts and the consistency that would have with some past core mechanics, but I am still not sold on that. My point is that we should be willing to be a tad creative (within reason) here to try and preserve the mechanic if we feel it can enrich and add to our metagame. At the same time, we cannot force it if it is not meant to be either, but I am not of the opinion that we are at that point.

Finally, as OU tier leader, my job description went from overwhelmingly clear for the last couple of years to more murky recently. Ruft and I are asked to handle normal tiering and making the metagame as competitive as possible typically, which is fine and something we have continued to optimize procedurally. Now we have an entirely novel mechanic, communal sentiments being spread further apart from each other than ever before, and a pretty massive outcry for focusing our decisions on things beyond sheer competitive natured Pokemon -- for "fun" (which can vary from one person to another), for changing Smogon's historical tiering narratives, and for catering to specific demographic's of the playerbase and their retention, and so on. I do not know what is going to ultimately happen here, but any possible decision is going to make some groups unhappy -- it is impossible to please everyone and trying to do so is a fool's errand. All I can offer is transparency on where we are at with regular updates like these and an outcome that will be decided by the community, so please keep posting your thoughts as you see fit.
I think the core reason why the conversation has shifted away from discussing the possible impacts of the proposed restrictions to the implications of ban or no ban is that the metagame(s) with or without the proposed restrictions is entirely novel and hypothetical. Due to their novel nature, a lot of the covered debate on restrictions concerns their legitimacy and whether they retain the intended impacts of the gimmick. On the other hand we have experienced metagames without tera and have some experience of a metagame including tera (although I will say that the metagame has been incredibly unstable during that time) so it is easier to propose stronger more substantiated arguments for or against tera ban . To effectively restart/expand the discussion on restrictions; I think a suspect ladder including the most popular restriction(s) is required so the proposed implications/hyptheticals of the restriction(s) can be explored.

again, natdex had it quickbanned and that is literally a tier with megas, z moves and every non-ubers pokemon ever. lmao. If you want you can try to argue that was wrong too, but frankly these roaring moon arguments are verging on literal cope
Cope is when people bring up the fact that a relatively frail setup sweeper becomes problematic when it gets a free turn to set up by invalidating its checks. /s
Also you know tera is in NatDex and Roaring Moon having a lot of good tera sets that led to it being unpredictable is a factor in why it got banned, right?

Last edited:
I'm just curious , how does this solve the correct issue outside of fringe cases ?

Just off the top of my head, things like Dnite , Volcarona, and Pult , Espathra , slowking, And Chien Pao are all using moves that abuse their preferred Tera type. Dnite would only lose out on Tera steel ( but can still run fire and normal) , espathra only losing out on Tera fighting) . The only thing that really gets nerfed here if I'm understanding correctly is Tera Water Annihilape
I think terra is way stronger in defense than in offense and way more pokemon abuse of it that way. I don’t think what i said was the ultimate solution if someone can add something without breaking too much the mechanic I would be interested in it. As long as it’s not a ban (because that would make the meta really boring, i don’t want 8 g OU again), I’m fine with most solutions. (But i agree offensive pokemon are way stronger with terra but I mean, offense can be countered whereas defense just counter you with something that’s completely unpredictable from my pov at least and reactions from other players)

For what it's worth, we're unlikely to create any type of suspect on Tera for at least the next week or two still. It’s too early, there are too many options, and we lack a consensus (not even particularly close to one either). I really want to make sure we get this right and stress on the details rather than anything being done haphazardly.

There is still discussion to be had as to what the appropriate avenue is, in my opinion, and I think limiting the conversation to the two extremes of fully allowing it and fully banning it would be doing the metagame a disservice. There’s merit to restrictions that can be done within good ideological faith such as restricting Tera to previously existing STABs. I am also coming around to considering limiting it to one Pokemon given some of the above posts and the consistency that would have with some past core mechanics, but I am still not sold on that. My point is that we should be willing to be a tad creative (within reason) here to try and preserve the mechanic if we feel it can enrich and add to our metagame. At the same time, we cannot force it if it is not meant to be either, but I am not of the opinion that we are at that point.

Finally, as OU tier leader, my job description went from overwhelmingly clear for the last couple of years to more murky recently. Ruft and I are asked to handle normal tiering and making the metagame as competitive as possible typically, which is fine and something we have continued to optimize procedurally. Now we have an entirely novel mechanic, communal sentiments being spread further apart from each other than ever before, and a pretty massive outcry for focusing our decisions on things beyond sheer competitive natured Pokemon -- for "fun" (which can vary from one person to another), for changing Smogon's historical tiering narratives, and for catering to specific demographic's of the playerbase and their retention, and so on. I do not know what is going to ultimately happen here, but any possible decision is going to make some groups unhappy -- it is impossible to please everyone and trying to do so is a fool's errand. All I can offer is transparency on where we are at with regular updates like these and an outcome that will be decided by the community, so please keep posting your thoughts as you see fit.
i know you’re not talking to me directly, but i wanted to make a case for the one pokemon per team preview rule that i mentioned earlier

the main reason i would argue for the one mon at preview before throwing out your first is because it takes away the most volatile part of the mechanic: unpredictability. being able to tera at any point with any guy on your squad with any potential type is what makes the mechanic broken. being able to tech tera for a certain mon while also being able to hit the adaptability go button at any given point makes the mechanic too versatile, especially given that there are plenty of big threats this gen. by selecting one mon at preview and having it visible to both sides, you are making a strategic decision to commit to a specific answer or strategy while also allowing for (imo the best part of the mechanic) the ability to create unique sets for the meta. furthermore, being able to see what your opponent is choosing gives you an idea as to what their strategy may be.

i think it would be a huge disservice to remove a mechanic that allows for player creativity in a game where, given our rule sets, can limit creativity in macro and micro decisions like team comps and move sets/EVs/items respectively. i think any opportunity that allows players to play the game in their own way only serves to create a more deep and evolving meta that benefits competition

Last edited:
has there been any concern as to when home stuff is released next year, in terms of the impact tera might have on the metagame at that point?

we have like probably less than 50 fully viable pokemon in OU right in its ENTIRETY and tera is already causing problems. whenever home stuff is released, we are going to get a bunch of pokemon and i personally cannot imagine what the meta would look like with tera in the picture once that happens. the versatility of certain pokemon will just be too ridiculous, and we might not be able to handle the mechanic in its entirety then.

and yes, we might have to just ban it at that point, but do realize that if we keep tera untouched right now or even nerfed, there might be instances of pokemon being banned and tera might play a big role in that. so we might end up in a situation in which we might have to potentially retest pokemon if tera is banned when home stuff arrives.

or we probably could end up doing nothing at all to tera after home, but honestly, we have a very litte roster of mons right now and we are already talking about how problematic the mechanic is, so i hardly believe adding more pokemon into the mix its gonna alleviate the problem.

the main reason i would argue for the one mon at preview before throwing out your first is because it takes away the most volatile part of the mechanic: unpredictability. being able to tera at any point with any guy on your squad with any potential type is what makes the mechanic broken. being able to tech tera for a certain mon while also being able to hit the adaptability go button at any given point makes the mechanic too versatile, especially given that there are plenty of big threats this gen. by selecting one mon at preview and having it visible to both sides, you are making a strategic decision to commit to a specific answer or strategy while also allowing for (imo the best part of the mechanic) the ability to create unique sets for the meta. furthermore, being able to see what your opponent is choosing gives you an idea as to what their strategy may be.
The issue that I foresee with this is that it will severely limit one of the cooler applications of the mechanic: reactive use. If you have to choose during team preview, I'd imagine that you'd oftentimes be choosing your best offensive mon as your candidate. I don't think this helps solve one of the largest complaints of the mechanic, which is Pokemon that gain a significant advantage offensively from doing so. Dragonite, and the offensive Ruin legends are two examples that would still perform exactly the same as before, but your opponent would now be limited in their ability to react to them with their own tera if they choose to do so.

The issue with this solution is it favors offensive tera infinitely more than defensive tera. Defensive Tera is actually used far more than I originally thought it would be, and removing it from being a viable option is a failure on our part to "honor the mechanic" (there has to be a better way to put that lol)

we have like probably less than 50 fully viable pokemon in OU right in its ENTIRETY and tera is already causing problems. whenever home stuff is released, we are going to get a bunch of pokemon and i personally cannot imagine what the meta would look like with tera in the picture once that happens. the versatility of certain pokemon will just be too ridiculous, and we might not be able to handle the mechanic in its entirety then.
I don't think I agree that having more versatility in mons is necessarily a bad thing, and I'm honestly not sure if we will have such versatility of mind boggling proportions. As we're seeing as the days go by, we are getting more and more defined users of the mechanic, and each user has their most commonly used tera, and maybe one or two niche uses (which come at the expense of being optimal). This wouldn't change when home comes out. Sure, we'll get more mons that are good with the mechanic, there's no doubt about it, but over time we'll start to understand what different Pokemon tend to run. You might get caught by a bait set here and there, but what's the difference between that and a Chople Berry Tyranitar? Both use a resource (tera for one, item slot for other) to gain a temporary advantage, but lose out on being the best possible Pokemon that they can be due to being more situational.

The issue that I foresee with this is that it will severely limit one of the cooler applications of the mechanic: reactive use. If you have to choose during team preview, I'd imagine that you'd oftentimes be choosing your best offensive mon as your candidate. I don't think this helps solve one of the largest complaints of the mechanic, which is Pokemon that gain a significant advantage offensively from doing so. Dragonite, and the offensive Ruin legends are two examples that would still perform exactly the same as before, but your opponent would now be limited in their ability to react to them with their own tera if they choose to do so.

The issue with this solution is it favors offensive tera infinitely more than defensive tera. Defensive Tera is actually used far more than I originally thought it would be, and removing it from being a viable option is a failure on our part to "honor the mechanic" (there has to be a better way to put that lol)

I don't think I agree that having more versatility in mons is necessarily a bad thing, and I'm honestly not sure if we will have such versatility of mind boggling proportions. As we're seeing as the days go by, we are getting more and more defined users of the mechanic, and each user has their most commonly used tera, and maybe one or two niche uses (which come at the expense of being optimal). This wouldn't change when home comes out. Sure, we'll get more mons that are good with the mechanic, there's no doubt about it, but over time we'll start to understand what different Pokemon tend to run. You might get caught by a bait set here and there, but what's the difference between that and a Chople Berry Tyranitar? Both use a resource (tera for one, item slot for other) to gain a temporary advantage, but lose out on being the best possible Pokemon that they can be due to being more situational.
thanks for the response! i think reactive terastalizing is a cool application of the mechanic as well but i also think it’s too volatile in conjunction with how many different variables there are. i also don’t think that this solution removes or necessarily favors defensive tera as well; i don’t play defensive teams often but i’d imagine you’d pick out a few guys that you’d be willing to defensively tera, and then choose at preview which one based on what threats are being presented. if you’re talking about defensively tera as a reaction then i’d argue that it’s no different than being able to hit the go button or teching for a specific threat.

i think at the end of the day, limiting volatility should be the main goal and it comes with its sacrifices

I must be missing something, because this argument sounds perfectly reasonable. They’re frail for a reason, right?
Might just be misinterpreting this but I wasn't actually saying bringing up Roaring Moon in that context was coping, I was pointing out that it's silly to say bringing up Roaring Moon in response to tera was coping by citing the fact that it's pretty balanced (if still very strong) when its typing can't be changed up on the fly to one of the many good options it has. Sorry if my sarcasm didn't read great, going to edit it to add a /s just in case lol

Um... I don't think you get it.

The "Gentlemen's agreements" is not for Smogon. It's how it'd theoretically be played on cart.

In which case, yes, forfeiting if you use a thing against Smogon rules is indeed also a gentleman's agreement. Using Smogon rules on cart in general is a gentleman's agreement.
How do
Want to drop 2c but also don't want to go far enough in-depth for a PR post.

I think it's at least worth attempting to keep Terastral around since it's not even vaguely as broken as Dynamax. It's also probably too good to keep totally untouched forever, people will just continue to find new ridiculous ways to abuse it.

Limiting it so you can only have 1 Terastralizer on a team seems like it'd work fine, that type of restriction kept Megas and Z-Moves in check and I think it'll also work here. Not having the threat to pick one of your 6 options makes it a lot harder to win games off of "luck" by choosing to pack the right terastral type for your opponent's answers. Games at high level being won or lost in the teambuilder has caused some of the worst metas in history.

Adding an additional restriction of revealing which mon can terastral at team preview is something that I think would also help, but maybe isn't mandatory. There were some benefits in oldgens of mindgaming which mons was your Mega or Z-Move, but terastral is such a powerful mechanic it might not be healthy to allow something like bluffing Normal DNite when you're actually using Water Ape with how carefully you have to play around these more threatening terastral sets.

Also since PR is discussing things on the coding end, I support this implementation suggested by Amaranth. It's very clean and I think makes it as intuitive as possible to use in the teambuilder.

I'll also add that the default selection for Terastral-restricted metas should be "Can't Terastralize" in the builder for maximum convenience.
This limitation already exists. You can Terastalize only one Pokémon per team

more than tera being a mechanic that you use to win, it is a mechanic you use to not lose

lying roaring moon, water annihilape - you aren't changing these mons types to "win", you are already using good mons in an attempt to win, you tera to avoid a bad outcome that you otherwise couldn't without tera

tera's potential comes from the ability to have what would normally be a losing situation and turn it around without needing to use a turn switching pokemon, changing the situation from a loss or at least mitigating the worst effects of such

basically you play the game without tera until you reach a turn where it looks like you would come off worse that turn (such as being walled, statused, knocked out, etc) AND have a tera type that allows you to attempt to negate predicted failure in a way you couldn't in another gen, then you use it and this comes at no immediate opportunity cost, you don't give up on anything by choosing x type for a mon unless you actually use it, unlike running 6 mons with mega stones or running 6 mons with dynamax abusive sets, you could do that with them but it wasn't a good strategy because it came at a cost of items and movesets

tera feels like you are trading 1 pokemon for another mid-battle one with the same stats/moves but with a diff typing (switching mons without switching mons?) and this is enough of a distinction to call it a different mon at that point - there are several past pokemon like this who have varied/viability tiering placement based on type changes: rotom forms, arceus, silvally, and megas - i bring them up cause they are the closest things to tera that we've had in the past

rambling

or limiting the tera types you can change to(I.E. Banning steel or fairy or another very strong type) would be the best option.
That would be flat-out stupid.

Anyone prepares multiple ways to deal with Steel and Fairy mons in general, so a lot of people will fuck around and find out when they do meme stuff like Tera Steel Avalugg and still get melted by some Dragon clicking Fire Blast.

My own two cents: Tera is stupid and needs to be banned. There is nothing more than that, thank you.

In all seriousness, I very strongly dislike the effect this generational gimmick has on the meta. I know Finchinator mentioned that his job is becoming more muddied and that lines of tiering are being somewhat obscured, but the consistent force that Smogon is based in is the idea of competitiveness. The idea that the better player often wins based on skill, and Tera just isn't based on skill as it currently is, especially with all these blatantly busted mons running around. One could argue that you could nerf it and maybe it could be somewhat balanced, but It think fundamentally changing a generational gimmick that isn't even that centrally tied to the game aside from acting as Hidden Power on steroids is a little bit of a stretch. The idea that we'd throw away decades of conventional wisdom for the idea of "fun" over a competitive nature is also highly asinine. Smogon garnered early attention because of the idea of competitiveness, not necessarily because of fun purely. When you are willing to not only toss around the thought that "fun" should be a strict inclusion in tiering, let alone install it, you've unleashed an idea that is fundamentally un-Smogon. Therefore, if you allow for those ideas you tear down important fundamentals and just use Smogon as a husk to install unstable methods of tiering into. The discussion is there to be had, certainly, but never to be acted on.

That's part of the reason I understand that Tera will, regardless of nerfs or limits, still be banned. It's just that: stupid and broken.

I appreciate your transparency during this process. Thank you for that.

I have to wonder what your thoughts on gen 8 was. Do you feel Smogon made a mistake on Dynamax, not with ultimately banning it, but with the process? When gen 10 comes and GF comes out with the next overpowered generational mechanic, will Smogon be deciding these things similarly to gen 9 or gen 8? I guess I'm just concerned that everyone is going to devolve into whether or not people like the mechanic rather than the actual merits of the mechanic.

I also want to say that I don't think STAB only Tera makes any sense when it's clearly the worst and most offensively biased part of Tera. The parts of Tera that make it good and allow for creativity involve changing to different types. The Adaptability style boost nothing more than unnecessary brute force with none of the creativity. If anything, shouldn't we be restricting that instead of changing into different Tera types?

more than tera being a mechanic that you use to win, it is a mechanic you use to not lose

lying roaring moon, water annihilape - you aren't changing these mons types to "win", you are already using good mons in an attempt to win, you tera to avoid a bad outcome that you otherwise couldn't without tera

tera's potential comes from the ability to have what would normally be a losing situation and turn it around without needing to use a turn switching pokemon, changing the situation from a loss or at least mitigating the worst effects of such

basically you play the game without tera until you reach a turn where it looks like you would come off worse that turn (such as being walled, statused, knocked out, etc) AND have a tera type that allows you to attempt to negate predicted failure in a way you couldn't in another gen, then you use it and this comes at no immediate opportunity cost, you don't give up on anything by choosing x type for a mon unless you actually use it, unlike running 6 mons with mega stones or running 6 mons with dynamax abusive sets, you could do that with them but it wasn't a good strategy because it came at a cost of items and movesets

tera feels like you are trading 1 pokemon for another mid-battle one with the same stats/moves but with a diff typing (switching mons without switching mons?) and this is enough of a distinction to call it a different mon at that point - there are several past pokemon like this who have varied/viability tiering placement based on type changes: rotom forms, arceus, silvally, and megas - i bring them up cause they are the closest things to tera that we've had in the past

rambling
what's weird to me about these arguments is that it makes it seem like only side can tera? If both players can "tera to avoid a bad outcome", then how is it unbalanced? It's just like with Dmax, you often have to Dmax reactively to counter your opponent's Dmax, which ends up leveling the playing field. This isn't to attack your argument specifically, but it's more of a reaction to what I've been reading in this thread. Imo, if both sides have access to the broken mechanic, that means it's basically a level playing field, and it comes down to who utilizes it better.

I could be missing something here tho since I've been pretty out of the loop. Personally, Gen7 was my favorite gen bc of Mega's and Z-moves. Nothing gave me more satisfaction than clicking All-Out-Pummeling with my Thundurus-T against Heatran's and T-tars and watching them drop. It made that generation feel special and unique, and it added an extra layer of strategy and outplay potential that I really enjoyed. Would hate to see this generation gutted like Gen8 was, but I understand why it might be necessary. I'm hoping we can find a way to keep it around tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)