Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Apologies if this is not the right thread, this will be my last post about Pursuit in this thread if this is the case. The move still is in the code unless i understood something wrong (datamine), like it was in SS.

I still would like to have definitive confirmation (not through guesswork) that even through hacking there is no way to make use of pursuit, especially since other requests involving hacking were answered in this thread (Examples: Battle bond, Arceus, sheer force + order up). There is no guarantee NatDex would take this information into account, but this is still something I would like to know if it is possible.
That's just using things that are available in game (via save file editing), making Pursuit selectable would require outright editing the actual game code.

Is this a glitch with in game mechanics, some weird tera interaction, or have they changed how Rain interacts with Hurricane this gen?

Link to video:

https://www.reddit.com/user/RlyCool...ndroidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
During story battles naturally spawned weather doesn't actually produce it's effects, presumably for balance reasons. In my rematch with Kofu there was a Sandstorm going and not only did it not damage any of the Pokémon, but his Pelipper was able to put up its Rain with Drizzle and the two weather conditions overlapped (also the check status menu showed Sandstorm rather than Rain).

During story battles naturally spawned weather doesn't actually produce it's effects, presumably for balance reasons. In my rematch with Kofu there was a Sandstorm going and not only did it not damage any of the Pokémon, but his Pelipper was able to put up its Rain with Drizzle and the two weather conditions overlapped (also the check status menu showed Sandstorm rather than Rain).
So it's just a bug with the overworld weather then seemingly? That's so silly. Why would it say the weather is live with effects but not work?

Thanks for clearing it up anyway.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I noticed this in the move data before the game came out, but just got a chance to do some trial tests now. Yay RNG!

The confusion duration from Axe Kick is 3 to 5, unlike the 2 to 5 applied to every other confusion-causing move in the game.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
  • Curse has new targeting behavior once again!
    • Curse can target either opponent or its ally.
    • If Curse targets an ally, it will randomly target either opponent. Curse can attempt to Curse the same Pokemon twice (if it does try that, it'll fail).
      • This is unlike Generation 7, where you can target an ally with Curse just fine.
    • The old Protean Curse yourself glitch still applies. It's a classic example of target being determined before Protean changes type.
  • Quick Claw can never activate on a Mycelium Might user using a status move. I did not count, but I easily had over 20 Quick Claw Mycelium Might status moves used in this recording.
    • Quick Claw can activate on Stall just fine. If Quick Claw does activate, it moves the attack to the start of the priority bracket.
    • A Mycelium Might user picking a non-status move can trigger Quick Claw just fine.
  • Sheer Force boosts the base power of Order Up even while not Commanding.
  • Sheer Force boosts the base power and removes the hazard-setting effects of Stone Axe and Ceaseless Edge.
  • Stone Axe and Ceaseless Edge set up hazards on the opponent's side if used into an ally.
  • Purifying Salt does not block confusion (tested Confuse Ray and Dynamic Punch).
  • Adaptability can change the STAB modifier from 6144 to 8192 on Pledge move combos.
    • This applies even to Terastallization.
  • Secondary stat chance overflow was patched out. A Serene Grace Pledge Rainbow Charge Beam now always boosts Special Attack.
    • It seems that Serene Grace Pledge Rainbow stat drops still stack. Moonblast never failed to lower Sp. Atk with both active.
  • Glaive Rush's 2x damage and sure-hit detrimental effects apply to ally hits. It can deal the extra damage to the user on the same turn it used the move.
  • Glaive Rush's detrimental effects don't allow Pokemon to bypass semi-invulnerability, like from Dig.
  • Simple doubles the stat boosts from Mirror Herb, boosting twice as much as the original boost from the opponent.
  • Simple doubles the stat boosts from Commander on Dondozo.
  • If a Tatsugiri is commanding, its turns are delayed for the purposes of Fake Out (similar to Sky Drop).
  • Quark Drive cannot be Baton Passed to stack with another Quark Drive.
  • Supreme Overlord's boost looks at total Pokemon fainted, not total Pokemon currently fainted.
  • Supreme Overlord's boost can be reset by Neutralizing Gas to the correct number of total Pokemon fainted.
  • When a Protean user chooses Metronome, it will change type based on the called move, not necessarily to Normal-type.

Last edited:
When a Protean user chooses Metronome, it will change type based on the called move, not necessarily to Normal-type
As I understand it, in previous generations, a Protean user would change type twice, once when using the calling move, once when using the called move, so now it only changes for the called move? Any idea whether this applies to other calling moves? If for instance Protean Sleep Talk changes type into the called move, what happens if Sleep Talk fails?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
As I understand it, in previous generations, a Protean user would change type twice, once when using the calling move, once when using the called move, so now it only changes for the called move?
I checked Gens 6-8 and all of them have identical behavior to Gen 9. The called move's type is what Protean uses. It also never activates Protean twice. So it was never that way (unless it like, changed between XY to ORAS or something).

Any idea whether this applies to other calling moves? If for instance Protean Sleep Talk changes type into the called move, what happens if Sleep Talk fails?
I checked Protean Sleep Talk in Gens 6-8 and they also all have identical behavior to Gen 9. A Sleep Talk calling Flamethrower, for example, will change the user to Fire-type, and of course only trigger Protean once. A Sleep Talk where the Pokemon is asleep, but has no moves that can be called, won't trigger Protean at all.

I should mention this behavior could be determined with the checks done before move success. Things like called moves and targeting are determined well before Protean can activate. The order of events will sometimes vary from generation to generation, but in this case it's identical across generations.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Are the 5 Revavroom forms theoretically available to be used by the player?

Or is it a similar deal to the manner Eternamax-Eternatus is implemented in Sword and Shield?

Are the 5 Revavroom forms theoretically available to be used by the player?

Or is it a similar deal to the manner Eternamax-Eternatus is implemented in Sword and Shield?
They aren't even coded as Pokemon(same with the full-sized Titans), so you can't even hack them into your party like you can with Eternamax Eternatus in Sword/Shield, Shadow Giratina in BDSP, and the 5 Noble Pokemon in Legends: Arceus

What exactly are they then?
Bosses, basically. Coding wise they are an entire separate entity from Pokemon, and aren't even considered to be a Revaroom in any manor. It's not that hard to process, most RPGs have enemies coded differently from player characters, thus preventing you from hacking them into your party. This is just the first time where Pokemon specifically went out of the way to do that instead of just listing them internally as Pokemon(as they did with the Pokestar Studios opponents)

The status screen calls them Revavroom though.
View attachment 476497
I meant coding-wise. They are not filed as forms under Revaroom, in the way other alt forms(even NPC-only ones like Noble Pokemon) are, nor are they coded as separate species listed in the index after the final Pokemon(Which is Annihilape because the Gen IX Pokemon are indexed out of National Dex order) like the Pokestar Studio opponents. It's just that since they are Revaroom story-wise, they are both called that in-game and and show it on the battle status screen(since they have to show something there).

Last edited:
I meant coding-wise. They are not filed as forms under Revaroom, in the way other alt forms(even NPC-only ones like Noble Pokemon) are, nor are they coded as separate species listed in the index after the final Pokemon(Which is Annihilape because the Gen IX Pokemon are indexed out of National Dex order). It's just that since they are Revaroom story-wise, they are both called that in-game and and show it on the battle status screen(since they have to show something there).
It has Revavroom's offensive stats though. My point is that under the hood you are effectively just fighting a normal Revavroom with a different type and a boss model/health bar tied to the battle itself (like the final boss) and that there is no separate Revavroom-like boss entity.

Lvl 20 0 SpA Revavroom Swift vs. Lvl 22 0 HP / 0 SpD Pawmo: 15-18 (23 - 27.6%) -- 55% chance to 4HKO
Lvl 32 0 Atk Revavroom Spin Out vs. Lvl 39 0 HP / 0 Def Garganacl: 38-46 (27.3 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

EDIT: For example from the Inidar SV modding discord you could change titan Klawf to a Tyranitar internally.
1671497787316.png

Last edited:
I'm guessing they just made a "boss container" they plop Pokemon into and then make some modifications from there: HP, immunities, shields, buffs, etc.

I'd bet they made it for SWSH to begin with, for Dynamax Raids (inflated HP, the shields, the extra rules normal dynamax doesnt abide by), but didn't apply it to Eternamax for some reason (maybe because it needed separate base stats for everything?)

I updated my last post with an image of the Klawf titan being shown to be editable into other pokemon (but with the same big Klawf model), but for future reference the data for the star bosses is in danbattle/boss/dan_car_battle_data which has details on their moves/stats/HP coefficient/ability/type/associated trainer battle, and the titan battles are among the static encounters in battle/eventBattlePokemon which has their data set in the usual pokemon structure (labeled nusi).

tl;dr: The bosses are still regular pokemon, just with different models and other customizations set specifically for the boss battles.

haven't seen a post about this, sorry if i'm wrong, or if this is the wrong place.
when ditto transforms into a paldean tauros, what raging bull type should it get? asking because on showdown when someone transformed into my tauros-fire it was normal, and it seemed like an oversight

So two questions: one, am I to understand that the Origins can’t hold any items other than their Cores without hacking ala how Giratina-O had to hold Griseous Orb in previous gens? Two, do the cores provide the same 20% damage boost to both STABs that the orbs provided? Because if the former is true and the latter is not, this is a direct nerf to Giratina-O.
I’m still curious about this and haven’t been able to find an answer anywhere else online. I know the HOME is prooobably still a couple months away at least so it’s not relevant until then, but it’s definitely gonna be relevant in Ubers after that point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)