Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My guess is that they'll have to add in an all inclusive Pokemon transfer at some point(look at X/Y where we had to wait on Pokemon Bank) in the game's lifespan, and it might just be that they haven't worked out the cross-compatability feature to get the transfer done.
When did they ever significantly update an already-sold game, beyond bugfixes? If anything, access to the full dex through transfer might become the main selling point for the next set of games, but SwSh will probably be completely devoid of the unlucky ones forever.

Wonder if this culling will also include moves. Sure, few of us will miss Rototiller, Hold Hands or Barrage, but some staple moves could be gone too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I recall Masuda mentioning both development limitations related to hardware and competitive balance as 2 of the reasons. Does the former point to new models for older Pokemon? Otherwise porting over old models should have very little development cost.

I listened to the clips and there are no mistranslations.
He said ガラル図鑑に絞る meaning "Narrow down to the galar dex" in reference to available Pokemon. Not much room for interpretation IMO.

He did not, however, explicitly say that Dynamax would "replace" mega evolutions and Z moves, just that they were a mechanic in the same vain.

That being said, in these kinds of events, the interpreters are usually pre-informed. Even if what they say doesn't match with the original language, the info is usually correct.

If any additional clips need translation send em my way, I'll be up for a while

Hopefully the megas and Z-moves will be available postgame like they handled megas in USUM. I really don't want to wait for the next Ultra Sword / Shield title to use them.

EDIT: Also what a way to Thanos snap the tapus and Lando out of the meta. That's a worse ending than Lucy's.
The ending of Lucy was fucking terrible. I’m glad it took me this long to find someone who shares my view.

Inb4 “here are the Pokemon you caught from previous games...

...As paid DLC”

I can imagine you'll be able to transfer the Mew you got in LGPE to Sword and Shield, at least.
That was already known, as Let's Go can move to Home, and Mew being obtainable in SwSh automatically implies that it's in the Pokedex.

Well, except you are stuck with whatever Nature you got in Let's Go... :X

That was already known, as Let's Go can move to Home, and Mew being obtainable in SwSh automatically implies that it's in the Pokedex.

I was concerned because you couldn't transfer the Mew you got in Pokemon Go, and I was worried that they may continue that odd trend with LGPE > SwSh.

Edit:

Last edited:
The limit on what can be transferred is disappointing, but lets be honest guys, we all knew that there was going to be growing pains with gamefreak moving to the switch, instead of being on the 3/ds systems as they had been for the last decade.

I recall Masuda mentioning both development limitations related to hardware and competitive balance as 2 of the reasons. Does the former point to new models for older Pokemon? Otherwise porting over old models should have very little development cost.
Not sure about new models (nothing looks any different to me), but someone in the presentation mentioned more "expressiveness", so I think they are adding new animations to the Pokemon, probably for whatever Amie-equivalent there is.

Is says Mew is event exclusive in regards to Poké Ball Plus, and that you can obtain it via event only if you haven't already used your Poké Ball Plus on Let's Go or another Sword and Shield game. So I don't know if you can transfer it, and if you can, it isn't implied there.

Honestly what I don't like about this is the ambiguity of what they're doing next. Sure, we're going to have Pokemon Home, which will have all of the models done I'd assume, but they've never announced a single thing if they are bringing back those Pokemon to transfer, because it seems like they're planning to do so, likely through a game update.

On the topic of game updates, I could see them going the Monster Hunter World route with this and make the next expansion downloadable content rather than an entirely new game you have to go out and buy. And with the whole development constraints they have right now I think this would be the right move forward. I just dislike the whole ambiguity over this whole thing. Are they axing a bunch of the Pokedex forever? Undoubtably not, because Pokemon Home can transfer from Pokemon Bank. Are they axing this until the next game? Or are they introducing it a few weeks after Home drops, just like they did in XY (and SM after an update)?

Honestly what I don't like about this is the ambiguity of what they're doing next. Sure, we're going to have Pokemon Home, which will have all of the models done I'd assume, but they've never announced a single thing if they are bringing back those Pokemon to transfer, because it seems like they're planning to do so, likely through a game update.

On the topic of game updates, I could see them going the Monster Hunter World route with this and make the next expansion downloadable content rather than an entirely new game you have to go out and buy. And with the whole development constraints they have right now I think this would be the right move forward. I just dislike the whole ambiguity over this whole thing. Are they axing a bunch of the Pokedex forever? Undoubtably not, because Pokemon Home can transfer from Pokemon Bank. Are they axing this until the next game? Or are they introducing it a few weeks after Home drops, just like they did in XY (and SM after an update)?
My thoughts exactly.

I am extremely skeptical of the doomsday "retcon" everyone glooms about, and am quite confident the missing ones will be added later in a way or another. Else why bother having Home receive them to begin with.
(that is, including Megas and Z-moves as postgame items as usual)

I definitely hate the fact that despite the *huge* internet shitstorm they caused with Matsuda's declaration, noone has clarified yet if that's the case. Sadly, just another case of GameFreaks not having a clue of how to handle advertising... They learned nothing from Let's Go :\

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Someone remind me (mostly because I don't want to watch this again LOL): Did the Pokemon Conference last month imply that Pokemon Home had something more to it besides "its bank that can trade"?

Makes me wonder if they'll also add battling, could be a way so people can also play with everything too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)