Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Please finally reveal a few more Gigantamax forms. We haven't gotten any since the initial reveal of the mechanic all the way back in July, god damn it!

Other than that, Galarian Rapidash and/or Impidimp reveals? Some more new mons/Galarian forms would also be epic.

By the way, if anyone's confused, 6 PDT is 9 EST, the usual time for these.

Seems like there is also(?) a Game Freak anniversary stream? With commentating in English, too.

It's scheduled for 10 Eastern time, so it doesn't seem like it's just the Japanese outlet for tomorrow's news. Maybe they'll just discuss the news revealed earlier, among many other things? Either way, a 30th anniversary news drop is hopefully a sign of something big and cool...

Seems like there is also(?) a Game Freak anniversary stream? With commentating in English, too.

It's scheduled for 10 Eastern time, so it doesn't seem like it's just the Japanese outlet for tomorrow's news. Maybe they'll just discuss the news revealed earlier, among many other things? Either way, a 30th anniversary news drop is hopefully a sign of something big and cool...

It’s a live stream that kinda looks back on the past 30 years and will have some discussion about new information. I’m guessing that because it’s an hour after the news, they’ll just focus on whatever will have been revealed.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
After a 24 hour stream for just one Pokemon, who wants to bet the new stuff will be just Galarian Rapidash? At least the history of Game Freak should be interesting.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Unova is creeping up ever closer to Kalos' proportion of home dex representation, although the latter still has a good 4% lead.
True... though saying it like that is kind of understating Unova's actual presence and overstating Kalos'. By percentage Kalos is ahead, but by actual numbers Unova is ahead of everyone else with 58 while Kalos has 28, placing Unova 30 mons ahead!

I think another percentage you could include is how much the known Galar dex is filled with what Pokemon. I think that would be a more better representation of what to expect. If my calculation is correct:

Kanto (47) = 17.2%
Johto (24) = 8.8%
Hoenn (29) = 10.6%
Sinnoh (31) = 11.4%
Unova (58) = 21.3%
Kalos (28) = 10.3%
Alola (26) = 9.5%
Galar (30) = 11%
Total (273) = 100%

Doing the percentage this way shows that Unova takes up a fifth of the Galar Dex while Kalos a tenth, making Unova's presence more than double.

Please finally reveal a few more Gigantamax forms. We haven't gotten any since the initial reveal of the mechanic all the way back in July, god damn it!

Other than that, Galarian Rapidash and/or Impidimp reveals? Some more new mons/Galarian forms would also be epic.
Gigantamax yes. Impidimp no. They've gone this far teasing it's existence and I want them to keep up on keeping that little troll's information unknown until the moment you catch it!

After a 24 hour stream for just one Pokemon, who wants to bet the new stuff will be just Galarian Rapidash? At least the history of Game Freak should be interesting.
Would prefer they keep Galarian Rapidash something to discover in-game because we know it exists. If there's any Galarian Form I'd like confirmation on is whether there's a Galarain Koffing or Farfetch'd since we only know of Galarian Weezing and Sirfetch'd.

London Event Without Galar Pokemon:
So something odd I noticed about an upcoming event in London. In Westfield London a pop-up Pokemon Center will be open from October 18th to November 15th. And as the Pokemon Company does, it'll be selling some exclusive London-based merchandise including a dapper looking Pikachu:

However another image for the event has appeared for it:

So... why is there no Galar Pokemon? It's a Sword & Shield event taking place in the country the Galar region is based on... yet it's only older gen Pokemon, some which aren't confirmed for the Galar Dex yet (Mewtwo, Mew, Pansage, Castform, Psyduck, & Scrafty). Even if we're to assume all of these Pokemon were to appear in the Galar Dex, still why these Pokemon specifically? Like is there some England symbolism my American eyes are missing?
  • Pikachu is the series mascot so of course it gets a pass.
  • Charizard is Champion Leon's ace Pokemon.
  • Castform is in its Rainy Form which references England's rainy weather.
  • Pidove I guess are for the London pigeons.
  • Psyduck then would be there for the ducks in London?
  • Scrafty is based on punk cultures which started in England (hence Galar's villain group being Team Yell. Curious if they'll use the Scraggy family also, would fit more than the Galarian Zigzagoon family and looking at Scrafty's stats it probably wouldn't mind an evolution...)
  • Roserade and Combee I guess are there to represent the London gardens?
  • Mimikyu maybe more there because Pokemon Company got into a habit making it stalk Pikachu through merchandise lines that little freak.
  • Eevee was officially given mascot status and might as well through all its other evolutions on there (though I'm sure many are hoping for some new Eeveelutions like that Dragon-type).
  • Pansage is said to use its herbs to help make tea (gee, if only they had a better Pokemon to represent that...)
... and I have no clue for Gyarados, and the Mew duo. Could they have an additional reason to have these Pokemon on the London exclusive merchandise that's connected to the Sword & Shield games or am I just overthinking things?

While I'm a fan of them keeping a lot of the game unknown this time around, I'm hoping we at least get to see the evolution lines for the starters before the games come out. Seems like a month prior to release would be a good time to do so.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
True... though saying it like that is kind of understating Unova's actual presence and overstating Kalos'. By percentage Kalos is ahead, but by actual numbers Unova is ahead of everyone else with 58 while Kalos has 28, placing Unova 30 mons ahead!

I think another percentage you could include is how much the known Galar dex is filled with what Pokemon. I think that would be a more better representation of what to expect. If my calculation is correct:

Kanto (47) = 17.2%
Johto (24) = 8.8%
Hoenn (29) = 10.6%
Sinnoh (31) = 11.4%
Unova (58) = 21.3%
Kalos (28) = 10.3%
Alola (26) = 9.5%
Galar (30) = 11%
Total (273) = 100%

Doing the percentage this way shows that Unova takes up a fifth of the Galar Dex while Kalos a tenth, making Unova's presence more than double.

Gigantamax yes. Impidimp no. They've gone this far teasing it's existence and I want them to keep up on keeping that little troll's information unknown until the moment you catch it!

Would prefer they keep Galarian Rapidash something to discover in-game because we know it exists. If there's any Galarian Form I'd like confirmation on is whether there's a Galarain Koffing or Farfetch'd since we only know of Galarian Weezing and Sirfetch'd.

London Event Without Galar Pokemon:
So something odd I noticed about an upcoming event in London. In Westfield London a pop-up Pokemon Center will be open from October 18th to November 15th. And as the Pokemon Company does, it'll be selling some exclusive London-based merchandise including a dapper looking Pikachu:

However another image for the event has appeared for it:

So... why is there no Galar Pokemon? It's a Sword & Shield event taking place in the country the Galar region is based on... yet it's only older gen Pokemon, some which aren't confirmed for the Galar Dex yet (Mewtwo, Mew, Pansage, Castform, Psyduck, & Scrafty). Even if we're to assume all of these Pokemon were to appear in the Galar Dex, still why these Pokemon specifically? Like is there some England symbolism my American eyes are missing?
  • Pikachu is the series mascot so of course it gets a pass.
  • Charizard is Champion Leon's ace Pokemon.
  • Castform is in its Rainy Form which references England's rainy weather.
  • Pidove I guess are for the London pigeons.
  • Psyduck then would be there for the ducks in London?
  • Scrafty is based on punk cultures which started in England (hence Galar's villain group being Team Yell. Curious if they'll use the Scraggy family also, would fit more than the Galarian Zigzagoon family and looking at Scrafty's stats it probably wouldn't mind an evolution...)
  • Roserade and Combee I guess are there to represent the London gardens?
  • Mimikyu maybe more there because Pokemon Company got into a habit making it stalk Pikachu through merchandise lines that little freak.
  • Eevee was officially given mascot status and might as well through all its other evolutions on there (though I'm sure many are hoping for some new Eeveelutions like that Dragon-type).
  • Pansage is said to use its herbs to help make tea (gee, if only they had a better Pokemon to represent that...)
... and I have no clue for Gyarados, and the Mew duo. Could they have an additional reason to have these Pokemon on the London exclusive merchandise that's connected to the Sword & Shield games or am I just overthinking things?
But I did include the overall Galar dex sizes, and they're roughly the same as your calculations except I rounded mine down to the nearest whole numbers. Also while you have a point about this stat being possibly more important than home dex proportion, I still prioritize the latter since it gives us an idea of what gens GF is focusing on this time around, and considering the IRL inspirations for Kalos and Unova and their links to Britain, I think it's safe to say their big leads in this category which they have kept consistently for a few months now are hardly a coincidence. Plus if you're a fan of a particular region, the more of that gen's roster you'll see throughout the game the better, even if it's not a big portion of Galar's overall count.

With only 30 days left till release these are the things I would like to know before the games come out:

-Starter middle evolutions (I'm okay with not knowing final ones)
-Any detail on HOME (cost, capacity, can we trade between HOMEs, features, etc.)
-Info on online battling (how renting teams and seasons works and battle formats (will battle royale or triple battle return?))
-Any ONE Pokemon that they will confirm as being missing from the Dex
-A handful more of new Pokemon (like 5-6)
-Cover legendaries typings

With only 30 days left till release these are the things I would like to know before the games come out:

-Starter middle evolutions (I'm okay with not knowing final ones)
-Any detail on HOME (cost, capacity, can we trade between HOMEs, features, etc.)
-Info on online battling (how renting teams and seasons works and battle formats (will battle royale or triple battle return?))
-Any ONE Pokemon that they will confirm as being missing from the Dex
-A handful more of new Pokemon (like 5-6)
-Cover legendaries typings
Home is coming out in January IIRC, could be a while before we get any more news on that front.

The good thing is a reptile-related reveal.

The bad thing is the fact Eevee overexposure is confirmed to continue.

So I guess I'm pretty neutral on this.

This also deconfirms the admittedly speculative possibility that Megas could make a return as Gigantamax forms. We haven't seen that Charizard before.

Hasn't it been confirmed by event coding for a while that the Quiet Mewtwo event for LGPE is obtainable in Sword and Shield? Plus we can kinda assume Mewtwo's presence from that Pokemon Center London poster. So we might get another new Mewtwo form, which is neat.

By the way, I'm starting to think the "leak" was not a leak but actually a deliberate official move.

How would that old post otherwise get so many things right?

I'd go as far and say similar "leaks" from earlier games are the same things. They put some legit unrevealed stuff alongside some actually fake things to make it less obvious...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

... I'm legit pissed right now.:psyangry:

It right right there. Make the Mega Evolutions into Gigantamax. IT WAS RIGHT F***ING THERE! An easy, EASY solution to the massive fan upset of you tossing Mega Evolutions. While the mechanic is gone at least the forms could continue to live on as just a general super form the Pokemon can obtain through various means.

But no, this is GameFreak where for every step forward they take they also need to take two steps back to assure they're not advancing too far if not advancing at all.:fukyu:

Like, what are even these forms? Call me bias right now but they're either stupid, meme-y, amd/or trying too hard. Eevee just just a normal Eevee with giant mane fluff, Pikachu is just a normal Pikahcu with a elongated glowing tail, Meowth they're trying to go for the Alolan Exeggutor meme even though THEY DID IT WITH ALCREMIE ALREADY, and Charizard... Charizard... why? Like, had they just combined the Mega Forms I'd even be fine with that (would still at least keep the dream the Mega Pokemon as Gigantamax forms) but NOPE. Instead Charizard is just a normal Charizard except his wings and horns are flames now... ~ooh, how more visually interesting than Mega Charizard Y (hint: it's not)~

Oh, and of course all of them are Gen I Pokemon because at this point GF isn't beating a dead horse they're... doing something more descriptive to it. I'm just so mad right now...

This is not the type of news I (and from what I can tell a lot of people) want to see before a new livestream.:facepalm:

I'm really happy the leak of Gen 1 chubby Pikachu's design being brought back for the Gigantamax turned out to be true. And even though it's just one angle, I really like how it looks!

Meowth and Eevee's are a little weird and/or minor but they're still fun. Charizard looks great; like an overabundance of flames is tearing through and melting parts of its body structure from the inside. I... probably put that more violently than I could have, but it's pretty interesting.

Shame they didn't go for the idea of re-using Megas, but there was no reason to expect it and it's a minor thing at the end of the day. Especially if Gigantamax is supposed to be its own thing with its own identity. Hoping to see Gigantamaxes from a few more gens, though; that's the only disappointing thing here.

Gigantamax Pikachu, Charizard, Meowth, and Eevee confirmed.

Edit: I'm also fairly certain that this quells the rumors surrounding a supposed Galarian Meowth considering that's clearly Kantonian Gigantamax Meowth.
The Affleck leak claimed both gigantamax long meowth as well as a regional evolution of meowth (among all the other things), so unless it's a random fake thing the leaker threw in, looks like we'll have an exeggutor situation going on.

Charizard... Charizard... why? Like, had they just combined the Mega Forms I'd even be fine with that (would still at least keep the dream the Mega Pokemon as Gigantamax forms) but NOPE. Instead Charizard is just a normal Charizard except his wings and horns are flames now... ~ooh, how more visually interesting than Mega Charizard Y (hint: it's not)~
I don't know what you're talking about. Gigazard looks badass as all hell. Especially the mouth. I love that it's glowing, and that its teeth are huge and jagged.

This CoroCoro leak summerises perfectly everything I love and hate about Pokemon these days.

On the one hand, I can never say no to new forms and mechanics, especially on Pokemon that are completly unviable without them. On the other hand, I hate how GF is obsessed with making not-fully-evolved Pokemon viable, especially when one of them is Pikachu! How much resources did they waste on giving him two Z-crystals which nobody ever uses as it is 100% outclassed by the light ball? The only sucessful pre-evo mechanic that worked was Eevee's extreme evoboost (thanks for reminding me GF that it is unavaliable), and unless they start adding 100 BST to each stat during the Giga I can hardly see where something like Meowth could ever be useful. It feels like a waste of resources, espeically when Megas and Z-moves are gone and we don't know how long this new mechanic is going to stick around.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for the poor future Smogon OU staff who will have to deal with the X/Y/Giga chaos that Charazard is going to make when GF decide to include all of his possible forms. Its such a mess, and its so blantent how GF are catering to a select handful of gen 1 Pokemon. If you want to make Eevee more poular then why not give each of its evolutions a unique new Mega/Z/Giga tool so that you can use it all the way through the game, instead of trying to discourage the evolution Pokemon from evolving?

I want to be stocked when I see new forms like this (which was the case all the way back in X/Y when Megas were first intoduced), but now I feel like GF are giving with one hand and taking with another. There are so many weak and useless Pokemon out there, I just wish they could give them a new opputunity instead of focusing on super weak unevolved Pokemon and the same handful of poster childs.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
By the way, I'm starting to think the "leak" was not a leak but actually a deliberate official move.

How would that old post otherwise get so many things right?
I agree with you there, but not for the exact same reason.

At the very least, it can be assumed that the leaker knew what content would be revealed before the games themselves come out. A disproportionate amount of the content in the leak has been revealed before release.

The leaker claims he "didn't get too far", which implies he got the information from playing a bit of the game, but somehow he still saw all of the fully evolved starters and even lategame stuff such as these specific Gigantamax formes. Having seen this much information, it is strange that he chose to reveal only Pokémon whose existence would be confirmed before the games' release. This includes most of the Pokémon and characters mentioned in the leak - at this point we've only yet to see three named Pokémon from the leak (the evil legendary and the chipmunks whose existence was confirmed by background details), one presumed Meowth evolution, the evolved starters, G-Max Lapras, and two Gym leaders. All the mentioned mechanics in the leak have been confirmed.

Granted, there has been a lot of stuff announced that wasn't in the leak as well (namely, two Gym Leaders and most of the revealed Pokémon), but it strikes me as a little more than odd that of all the things a leaker could leak, most of it would get an official confirmation before the games' release. One would think there wouldn't be a perfect overlap between the leaks of a legit leaker and the plans of the PR people, yet here we are with most of the leak confirmed piece by piece, and still a month left to go for the rest.

So yeah, the "smoking gun" for me isn't how much the leaker got right, but how much of the leaked content we have already seen confirmed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)