10/10 games

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going out on a limb here because most of these games are older, but we'll see who actually remembers them.

Donkey Kong - This game, released for the original Game Boy, was actually a title starring Mario. Donkey Kong was the villain, kidnapping the damsel and leading Mario across 9 unique, challenging worlds full of deeper levels. I honestly felt this game was much more fun and replayable than the old Mario Bros games (or the Donkey Kong line for that matter). Excellent score, very challenging but beatable, and well-designed levels and worlds. The one thing it really lacks is character development, but hey it's a DK/Mario title, not an RPG!

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Another gameboy title, this one is easily forgotten since Link to the Past and the rest of the series are so popular. Link's Awakening I felt had an interesting plot, and the dungeon and overworld design was flawless. Gameplay was also outstanding, with a well put together platform and a niche use for every tool Link had access to. Couple that with your classic (albeit repetitive) Zelda score and you have another top 5 title you can play over and over.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Though it departed from the traditional FF setup, I felt it did so in a way that made the game BETTER than its counterparts. This game boasts what I think was the best and most clever plot of the entire series, with several unexpected twists that I never could have predicted. The gameplay was also interesting and engaging, keeping some of the classic FF elements while introducing some new and very original ones. The game's only flaw was that it was a bit short with limited extra material, but the quality of the material itself is just too great to ignore. The added beauty of the complex job system is the almost unlimited replayability, with countless types of challenges you can embark on to keep things interesting on each playthrough.

Super Smash Brothers 64 - In my opinion, still the best of the three titles that have been released under the SSB name. It didn't need flashy graphics to make it good, as the game's platform was nothing short of amazing. It might seem odd to put a game on this list that had virtually no story, but the multiplayer side was so amazing that it didn't need one. This game is still very playable today.

Command and Conquer 95 - One of the pioneers of the real time strategy genre, this game had a great challenge to it while still being viable, enormous multiplayer online potential in its day, solid and original plot, and great music. This game paved the road and set the standard for more recent and famous titles such as Starcraft, Age of Empires, and Diablo.

Worms: Armageddon - Anyone who's ever played this will confirm that it is pure, unadulterated fun. Employ your team of worms (with a plethora of options for their voices) against other teams of worms in an effort to blow the ever loving SHIT out of them. With hilarious weapons from the Holy Hand grenade to the sheep launcher to the crabby old woman, this title was (and still is) nonstop laughter on all fronts.

Anyone else every actually play the first two in this list? I get so many people who haven't even heard of them. It's kind of sad :(

There are certainly a few perfect games that I've played. Here's a list of the "perfect ones" that can't be beaten....yet.

Pokemon Fire Red~ Holy Crap, best remake of a game ever. They kept everything nice and original like I liked it and it gave you that nostalgic feeling. Plus, when you beat the first part and think that mewtwo is all that's left, you find out that there are 4 more islands to go to! Now that's a good game!

Monster Hunter Tri~ My introduction to monster hunter. I fell in love with this game. Lush and beautiful scenery made it awesome to look at, and the monsters were SO EPIC. I still play this Wii game, even when the Wii2 is coming out.

Spectrobes origins~ I had played the first spectrobes, and I had a few questions about the backgrounds. This game was a great sequel to the first two spectrobes. I loved the new mechanics, and the krawl were bigger and badder than before. Of course, the spectrobes were bigger and more awesome than ever too! I was kinda happy how they got rid of the Corona, aurara, and flash types. The elements were much more simpler to understand.

Pokemon HeartGold almost made it into the ten out of tens. I give it a 9.5. The pokeathlon was pointless to me. If I could do whatever I wanted in that game, I would have captured a bunch of voltorbs and blow up that dome.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Anyone else every actually play the first two in this list? I get so many people who haven't even heard of them. It's kind of sad :(
I don't see how anybody would miss Link's Awakening, especially since the DX remake for Gameboy Color was really popular. But yeah, you're damn right that Donkey Kong game is completely awesome. Funny story involving that relatively recently for me:

I went on vacation to my grandma's condo near the Outer Banks in North Carolina earlier this year. I finished Radiant Historia (great game BTW, dunno about 10/10 though) on the way back but it's a 12-hour trip back and we still had a long way to go. I was picking through my young cousin's game collection to see if there was anything I might want to play in there, since RH was the only game I brought with me. (I bought it right before the trip down and I had a console game to play over the week while we were there, so I didn't expect to finish RH.) I found Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis and popped that it expecting it to be like said Donkey Kong above.

Boy was I disappointed. :( If you were wondering what MotM is like, BTW, it's more of a Lemmings-style game where you build terrain and try to guide the unidirectional Minis (miniature Mario toys) to the exit of each level without getting stuck or dying to various falls and hazards. Eventually I warmed up to playing it and got through a good 70% of the content before we made it home but I was still very bummed that it was NOT like Donkey Kong.

Command and Conquer 95 - One of the pioneers of the real time strategy genre, this game had a great challenge to it while still being viable, enormous multiplayer online potential in its day, solid and original plot, and great music. This game paved the road and set the standard for more recent and famous titles such as Starcraft, Age of Empires, and Diablo.
Starcraft was built on the back of Warcraft/Warcraft II and Diablo is based off the Roguelike genre..

C&C was great, but to say it paved the way for either Starcraft or Diablo is just plain incorrect.

Okay, here I go...

Pokemon Silver: My first game was Pokemon Yellow, and I loved it to the point where I trained several level 100's. Then I decided to get Silver, which took everything I loved about Pokemon Yellow and multiplied it by a hundred. The ability to breed and transfer Pokemon from gen 1 gave me more of an incentive to complete the Pokedex, and being able to venture into the Kanto region gave a nostalgic feel for gen 1. My only complaint is that all the enemies besides Red are under-levelled.

Super Mario Sunshine: I loved Super Mario 64 and I loved having to collect all 120 stars. The same concept is applied to Super Mario Sunshine, except it is a lot more challenging. Having to collect all the Blue Coins and completing all the secret maps (that one level that I think was themed after a pinball machine gave me a headache). Mind you this was before I resorted to the Internet for help, so I guess I can be quite a masochist when it comes to gaming.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: I loved Ocarina of Time a lot, and having played that before Majora's Mask, I was initially skeptical about whether I will enjoy it or not based on what my friends have told me. When I played it though, my initial opinions of this game was dead wrong; there are so many side quests that Ocarina of Time just could not provide and even after you beat the final boss, there is still a lot of stuff to do. The ability to fight all the bosses again is pretty cool as well and the game does not feel as barren after you have completed the last dungeon. They also increased the difficulty as well; I can recall having trouble against Majora's Mask's final form prior to acquiring the Fierce Deity's Mask and Gyorg was a real bitch.

F-Zero GX: A simple racing game, but a difficult one to get 100% in. I was pleasantly surprised that there is quite a bit of depth in this game despite the simple gameplay. Getting 100% took me weeks, but after I got it, I got some mad bragging rights.

Metroid Prime: This game is quite memorable because it was one of those games that really felt like training. To be more specific, I used to suck at console FPS games. As such, I would get my ass kicked quite often because of my slow aiming or would be intimidated by the bleak environment, thinking that something will pop out of nowhere and kill me. Nevertheless, I persevered and eventually cleared Hard Mode with 100% item acquisition. I've also played Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and although they were good, they did not match the experience provided to me by the first Metroid Prime game.

Metal Gear Solid 4: I picked this game up for cheap thinking that I will not get into the MGS franchise seriously (I have never played a MGS game before). I was proven wrong; I was blown away by its impressive gameplay and cinematics; people who say MGS4 is a movie aren't exaggerating. This experience alone compelled me to pick up the rest of the series but so far MGS4 is the best IMO.

Demon's Souls: This is THE game that made me remember what gaming should be; challenging and rewarding. The sense of accomplishment when you beat a boss (such as the Maneater on your first run) is unrivaled by any other modern games. This difficulty gets even higher when Black Phantoms start invading your game; you will become the hunted when you least expect it. The online multiplayer is not something that I did not expect from a game like Demon's Souls, so I was pleasantly surprised by it (not to mention the easy trophies when people dupe fully upgraded weapons). I was aiming for the Platinum Trophy and to do that, you need to beat the game at least 4 times I believe. The game gets even harder after each playthrough, so no matter what your Soul Level is, you must always keep your guard up.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Starcraft was built on the back of Warcraft/Warcraft II and Diablo is based off the Roguelike genre..

C&C was great, but to say it paved the way for either Starcraft or Diablo is just plain incorrect.
What I meant was that C&C popularized the real-time strategy (base building) genre so that games like Warcraft and Starcraft could enjoy success. That being said, if WC or SC had been released first, I have no doubt they, too, would have been insanely popular games. I'm just trying to give some props to Westwood for putting out such a great line of games, but ultimately being totally overshadowed by Blizzard in the end.

Okami

Simply perfect. The history, the game mechanics, specially the brush. I prefer the PS2 version.

Breath of Fire III

The best RPG I've ever played. The history is truly amazing, as well as the dragon transformations, and the game is pretty big.

GTA III - For me this game was probably the most significant release of the last decade. I never really played games before then and I remember being in school and everybody was talking about GTA3. I went over to my friends house and seeing it for the first time just blew my mind. The freedom to do anything (or so it felt at the time!) was just unbelievable and I remember getting it and just spending hours and hours driving around, running people over, setting fire to police cars as more and more came and trying to survive as long as I can. The story, characters, location, everything felt right but most of all the freedom to run amok through the city was what took the whole experience to another level. I don't think I would change anything about the game if I could somehow change the course of time, so 'perfect' pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Halo - This game looked perfect, it felt perfect, and whatever way I look at it I don't think I could say anything bad about it. The character designs, the (almost) perfectly balanced gameplay, the graphics, the ai, the environments, the enemies and weapons, the story and the music, god, the music was just perfect. It's the only FPS game I think I have ever played the campaign and wanted to play it again and again. I think I know every level off by heart. The less said about multiplayer the better because I spent an unholy amount of time blasting my friends in 4 player split-screen... Every Halo game since then has been a huge disappointment because none of them had a campaign anywhere near as good.

Knights of the Old Republic - It's been said before but this game has an amazing story experience. Every character, every location, every twist in the plot fits seamlessly into the universe. You will experience hope, ambition, mystery and maybe even love but I don't think there is a happy ending so you will experience loss, despair, regret and hatred whatever way you play it. I don't think Bioware have captured what they achieved with KOTOR ever since. The ending was just devastating, and the realisation that there isn't more of the game for you to continue was even worse!

There are so many honorable mentions and probably loads more that I forgot but these are the ones I can think of:

Advance Wars 2: Perfect gameplay, unlimited replay value, great graphics, designs and characters. The dialogue in this game was some of my favourite out of any GBA game and the music was top quality too. Much better than anything else in the series and imo a perfect GBA game!

Oblivion: The first Bethesda game I ever played so I got introduced pretty late but it's probably my favourite game from recent times. The world and the freedom was so convincing, felt almost as fresh as GTA3 when it was released! Pretty near unlimited replay value too.

Red Alert 2: Completely flawed game, probably the most imperfect game I have ever played but somehow that's what made it so good and so addictive! Taking advantage of the quirks of this game was all part of the strategy and some of the unit balance was just absolutely ridiculous but nonetheless it was my favourite RTS for a very long time. I even prefered it to Generals when it was released and still played it with friends until just a few years ago.

I don't play a lot of video games. That said, this is my absolute favourite:

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

The whole game in three words: hilarious, fun, innovating. Fawful is an evil villain who turns out to make the most of your day with his nonsensical catchphrases. And, playing as Bowser is cool, and exploring his body...is cool. The absolutely best part of Bowser's Insider Story, however, is the final boss battle music. I play this game over and over again simply because of that music.

I always thought that Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was the perfection of the series. It had a great storyline, challenging game play, great controlls, additions to the all ready well thought out series, and a great sequel. I think the creaters did a really good job with everything, and it earns a 10/10 in my book.

Out of the games I've played, I'd say these were the 10/10 games that I've played. Keep in mind that I don't consider 10/10 to be flawless, rather I consider a 10/10 to be a game that I would give the highest recommendation and that I find extremely enjoyable:

Metroid Prime-I was blown away by this game when I first played it. The atmosphere of the entire game was just incredible. I really liked the idea that it's just you and there's no one here to help you. The game actually had some difficulty to it too, the boss fights were great and the Phazon Mines part of the game was really tense and exciting. The idea of scans telling the story was also a great idea as well because you can pick and choose how you want to hear the story. It was also non-linear, there's nothing better than going to a room, finding out you can't advance through it, and then once finding the right power-up going "Ok now I wonder what's in that room". All in all, I think this game is the best game I've ever played.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes-I found Echoes just as good as the first one, though I'd give a slight edge to Prime. I loved the concept of the light and dark world, and the struggle for dominance between them. The atmosphere and exploration of Echoes was just as immersive of Prime, and sometimes I felt that it was even better (Particularly in Sanctuary Fortress). The boss fights are where this game shines though. From boost guardian, to spider guardian, to Chykka, to Quadraxis, all the way up to Emperor Ing and Dark Samus, the boss fights were just incredible. Easily better than Prime's in my opinion. It was more difficult which I welcome as well. The thing that makes Prime better though in my opinion, is that Echoes is just a tad more linear than Prime. It felt a lot more segmented. All in all though, Echoes is a fantastic game.

Super Mario Galaxy 2--Galaxy 2 took everything that made the first game great and made it better. It's more difficult than Galaxy, the music is just as memorable, the world's are just as memorable, and there aren't as many boring purple coin missions. I really enjoyed hunting for the green stars after the initial game was over, and found that a better reward than the purple coins and playing through the game as Luigi. The only thing I didn't like were those Fluzzard levels, I always found him a little bit different to control. The perfect run was a great way to go out with a bang too. Galaxy 2 is a phenomenal game.

Red Dead Redemption-I love the wild west and this game was everything I could have wanted in a wild west game and more. There is always something to do in this game, whether it's the story missions, hunting, gambling in poker or blackjack, or just riding along the countryside and enjoying the view. My personal favorite thing to do is collect bounties. The story is top-notch, every character was interesting and I was constantly wondering what would happen next. I've always liked sandbox games and this one is the best I've played.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves-This game has the best presentation that I've ever seen. The dialogue, the scenery and characters are all top-notched. The action scenes in this game are mind-blowing, there's never a dull moment. It was a game that I immediately wanted to replay again after I had finished with it. The gameplay is simple but it's the presentation and cinematics that make the game in my opinion.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time-While I don't feel this game is the best game of all time, I feel that it is still very, very good. The dungeons were all top-notch with my favorites being the Forest and Water temples. The best part of this game in my opinion is the final boss fight. Fighting Ganon in his beast form, in a ring of fire, with darkness and lightning flashing all around you, is just an epic way to end an epic game. This game ends with a bang and this is why I consider it the best Zelda.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-This game is phenomenal but increased linearity and low difficulty keep it a notch below Ocarina of Time in my opinion. I still consider it a 10/10 game because the dungeons and boss fights are very impressive. I also liked all the interesting new items such as the spinner and double clawshots, which provided new and enjoyable dungeon situations. I also thought that Midna and Zant were interesting characters and that the wolf form was an intriguing idea. If this game was just a little more difficult, I'd consider it better than Ocarina of Time.

Paper Mario 2, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons, Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime Echoes, Pokemon Crystal, Super Smash Bros 64, Megaman 2, The Legend of Little Sampson

I mostly just play shitty nintendo games. :I

Batman: Arkham City: This game is like, the best game I have ever played, amazing plot, long enough for you to spend a couple of days on it, but not so long that your going to be playing it for hours. The best part is you don't have to follow the plot, you can literally spend HOURS just punching people, and that sir, is amazing.

(Ultimate) Marvel vs Capcom 3: Your going to see from this post that I <3 pretty much any fighting game in existence, but this one really stood out for me, not for the storyline, not for the whole community of it, but for the pure simplicity of it. It is the easiest game to pick up and just play, but the best part is that it defines the term "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master" in the sense that you have to put a lot of time into to get the handle of characters.(Yes, Ultimate isn't out yet, but it's coming out in 2 days so stfu)

Super Smash Bros. Melee: OK, people might argue with me on this one, but I like Melee SO much better than Brawl, partly because of nostalgia, and mostly because in Brawl the characters where just so unbalanced, in the sense that if one person plays Meta Knight with no skill, he can just spam something without knowing no mechanics of the game.

Basically anything in the Soul Calibur series: Soul Calibur has a special place in my heart because it was the first fighting game I (tried at least) played by looking up mechanics of it, instead of just spamming the move that looked the flashiest. It also is one of the few fighting games who has some storyline to it (not that much, but still...)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically anything in the Soul Calibur series
This may be a bit off topic but...

[HIDE="Even this game?]

One of the few games I have returned from renting the next day, not even the Lloyd cameo from ToS was able to save this game, graphics were somehow worse than the gamecube game[/hide]

Anyways for actual 10/10 games the ones I rarely see as part of the Zelda series is Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. Has anyone else played this game, I consider both much better handheld games than LA. The different cities and areas and fantastic replay value between games. You can beat each 3 times to try out each animal partner, but I probably beat each over 5 times. Ages had more puzzles, while Seasons had more fighting. The only thing that was annoying was switching passwords so you could get all the wondrous secrets. In my opinion Ages > Seasons though.

What I meant was that C&C popularized the real-time strategy (base building) genre so that games like Warcraft and Starcraft could enjoy success. That being said, if WC or SC had been released first, I have no doubt they, too, would have been insanely popular games. I'm just trying to give some props to Westwood for putting out such a great line of games, but ultimately being totally overshadowed by Blizzard in the end.

Warcraft 2 came in late 1995 (about 3 months after C&C), Orcs and Humans (the first Warcraft) came out in 1994.

Of course Dune II came out in like 1992 or something, so if you're going to put the success or building blocks of the RTS genre down to any single game, I'd say that's it.

I think the reason Blizzard ended up overshadowing Westwood was the polish of their games back then (sadly they do not release to that standard now); especially back in that era of people not having the internet (and thus being unable to download patches etc) in a lot of cases that polish at release was a huge factor in the success of Blizzard games.

Like ButteredToast,I think Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is an awesome game that deserves more love. The graphics are good,nothing out of the ordinary but good.The story is what makes it a great game:You get to like a lot of characters(Ilyana,Shinon,Gatrie,Ike?,The Black Knight,Soren etc.).And of course,the gameplay is the strongest point of this jewel-Serious and difficult strategy game where your chars are gone forever if they die.

But Path of Radiance is not my favorite game,here is a quick run of them:

-The Zelda series: God damnit.It's impossible to choose just Ocarina,or Majoras,or windwaker,or seasons,or TP.All of these games are fun and epic(MM and TP being a little darker),and once I start playing OoT,it's very hard to stop.Come back 2 hours later and I will probably be at the Forest temple listening to its awesome OST tearing apart some stalfos.

-Banjo Kazooie/Tooie:Not so popular in these days but who cares.These games are love.Fun platformers,AWESOME characters(Banjo+Kazooie+Gruntilda is just an awesome combination),good humor.Epic final battles.Awesome songs.
Rareware is something else.

-Earthbound/Mother 3:Laugh/Cry/Get high/Be afraid/Kick ass/Be VERY afraid(Giygas)/Hate Porky.All of these situations are offered to you from these two games.And many many more.These are beast RPGs,especially Mother 3 since Earthbound is a bit.....boring,sometimes.(No running and some big areas having too much enemies can turn you down).

Shadow of the Colossus
Favorite game of all time. I collect alternate versions/merchandise from it (my wallet cries)

ICO
Same deal

Ocarina of Time
My first Zelda game, I never have any problems playing it again and again. I haven't played MM in a while but I plan to steal it from my friend.

Wind Waker
Favorite Zelda game, again I can play it over and over again. I really love this game (even the sailing, so shoot me)

Arkham Asylum
City will probably make this list too but I'm not finished yet. I love Batman and I love video games, what could be better?

Digimon World 1, 2, or 3
Anyone who has played these will understand. Very addicting games, but I traded in 3 a few years ago for some reason.

Pokemon Platinum
I have played Pt more than any other pokemon title. Not sure why I enjoy it so much, but my favorite teams came from that game card.

Okami
I'm a sucker for artsy games, and Okami is more than that.

Age of Mythology
I require this game like I require air. Not my favorite in the world but if anyone asked me to sell it I'd probably punch them and then force them to play it.

Sonic Adventure 2
Haters gonna hate. I got years of enjoyment out of this game and haven't enjoyed another sonic title since. For obvious reasons of course. Knuckles is also my favorite character and I think this game has the best version of him.

Honorable mentions:
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Snowboard Kids 2
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (works better when you pretend the fans don't exist)
Animal Crossing
Bioshock
Kirby Air ride
Banjo Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

Oh yeah,how could I forget Sonic Adventure 2.
That is simply the best "modern"(Ignoring the fact it got released for the dreamcast and the gamecube)sonic game ever.It's......just perfect.

Thanks for reminding me I NEED to get it again,Feathers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)