2010 music

Eminem - Relapse 2
Link Park- TBA
Dr. Dre - Detox

Eminem returning to his emotionally driven style for Relapse 2 should get him platinum status within the first week. By the way he's been talking about relapse 2 in interviews gives me the impression that he's ditching the accent.

Wasn't too excited by MGMT's Flash Delirium. Hopefully the rest of the album is better! Can't wait to hear the song inspired by Lady Gaga :p

Really liking Minus the Bear's My Time! What a killer track! Shaping out to be a awesome album so far.

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm very excited for Congratulations or not, but OMNI seems amazing, and I think My Time would probably be the best song to screw a chick to, EVER <_<

jet lag didn't exactly wow me at first but it's growing on me as i've been listening to it a lot (trying not to compare this wolf to the other) and it's just very beautiful. apparently it the story of the album is josiah's own: the ending of an 11 year relationship. i think he captures it well, but i won't say how because i don't fancy myself articulate enough. i like it very much. technically the music is very interesting. lots of good percussion.

speaking of good percussion... have one on me. i love the shit out of this album. i listened to it exclusively the weekend it came out and just lived in joanna's world. there are a lot of moments in the album where i think i should cry, i feel like i could cry, but i just don't. there is just a lot of, well, i don't want to say JOANNA in the album but the lyrics seem so earnest and honest, so yearning sometimes (and fucking good, what a lyricist, i didn't really appreciate it until recently) that i just wish i was andy samberg so i could hold her in my arms for a little while (did you guys know that they are dating? i didn't, and it's weird news. i wonder if any songs are about him haha). anyway, first few listensthru i was like there are some good songs scattered here and there but i don't like all of them. i can honestly say i like all of them for one way or another, the album is just so sprawling i feel that it's hard not to find something for how you are feeling just then. this write-up is turning pretty gay. it's a very good album.

other new stuff... the new bss single 'world sick' gives me shivers, can't wait for the new album.

can't think of anything else that stands out? according to my itunes, nana grizol's 'ruth' is 2010 (and it's really good and honest and tender, can't believe it is their sophomore album, for pop-punk it just seems so mature, but i felt that way about their first as well, and also these musicians have been around for a while)

and um the best coast 7" mmm fuzzy i love me some best coast

omg teen dream is 2010 is it not? i lived in that album... so fucking lush. another top for me.

that's all i have really, been listening to older stuff mostly

i totally agree foreys, i was looking for an excuse to talk about this album more

im really glad i got it as an actual physical album, because not only is the packaging lovely but when i sit down to really listen to it, i cant imagine doing it without a lyric sheet. you really pick up on some of the amazing things she's singing, which often float over your head when you're just passively listening to the album.

it's probably alot easier to passively listen to than her previous albums, too, because it just feels so inviting and lovely. returning to ys after spending so much time with have one on me is kind of jarring, and i think pitchfork hit the nail on the head when they said it was like the difference between a conversation with a friend and a painting on a wall. to me that just perfectly sums up the feel of both albums. having said that though, the tracks like kingfisher and the title track are probably two of my favourite songs she's ever written, ebcause they find a perfect middle ground. like if you were having a conversation with a friend about a painting hanging from a wall.

id be interested to hear how you think it compares to ys as a whole?

also theres a good chance i might try and write a review of this at some point because i have a whole load to say about it (and i dont want to think about articulating that stuff too much here).

I luv the new Gorillaz album, it needed a few listens though.

I also heard a lot of great stuff about the new Bonobo album, I ordered it and it'll probaly arrive this or next week :>

eh, i feel like my post might reflect stoos and foreys but oh well i guess.

first off local natives it's pretty good pop indie stuff, but I feel it's largely forgettable and that while its catchy on some songs like shapeshifter it didn't leave an impact on me at all.

beach house though is real solid, all tunes are listenable and I actually enjoy all, it can suit many moods during a night, and if your chilling with friends like mine it will be real nice for them too

los campesinos: first album by them for me, I noticed they have a large band setup like BSS, and that's nice, I like some songs like the sea song and the flag one too, all and all is that they've got good potential and they album is largely enjoyable. really liking this band actually

gorillaz- got this album as soon as possible, and I can safe to say it's very solid, been showing this album off to many people since I can say they are "mainstream"(sorry to throw that term around it's just what I do to make them listen to it since people know my music cred) and all people seem to like at least one part of the album, seriously like the chillness of empire ants.

OH CHILL you say why don't I listen to toro y moi: seriously no stand out tracks but all tracks fit that new chilllwave mood, good download here.

surfer blood: love getting pumped up to songs like swim, and then chilling to that arcade fire like chord song harmonix, but is a really catchy album dude

vampire weekend: eh I know they are super cool and awesome and stuff, but just never can get into this band, i gues contra is alright

still need to get massive effects new album, also joanna newson I seriously need to listen to that album more with all of the acclaim its getting(but no listen to music lately because catching up on old stuff like apostle of hustle, junior boys blu and exile(OMG) and shit sorry yall) but seriously seriously though sparklehorses lead singer killed himself and its a wonderful life was the shit so its too bad to hear that,

oh btw i posted bmy yeasayers impressions earlier which is the same still so so far 2010's been solid music wise, anyone got some other albums out this year which they really like, I wish something would really stand out

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You can get lyrics online as well as mp3s you know..

My first impression of this album (Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me) is that there is some great stuff there, bits of some songs, and some full songs (in particular '81, Baby Birch and Does Not Suffice). But my god these songs are long. And there are so many of them. And most of them just dont make any sense to me (yet?). Getting through this was hard.. Even with breaking between each CD.

Have a nice day.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
how does the new dep stack up to calculating infinity as thats the only DEP I own

new Natural Snow Buildings leaked (by the band).

about half way through, and it's very droney so far. i expect the second disc will (as usual) have more folky parts.

very good so far. :toast:

EDIT: and Altmer, new DEP is like a more technical Miss Machine mixed with Irony is a Dead Scene. so it's pretty different than CI, but so has every one of their other releases to date.

MGMT's new album leaked too. Best album of the year already tbh.
They set up free streaming of the album on their site.
If you didn't like Flash Delirium don't worry, because that's my least favorite track on this great album.

http://www.whoismgmt.com/

oh man i am really enjoying mgmts new album. this is so not what i expected after oracular spectacular and it's all the better for it.

two albums i just noticed were out. first is the go find.
they make nice pleasant "cute" pop songs, and this album has more consistent songs. I actually highly recommend it, I like the title track, the incredibly catchy "automatic" song, and 100 percent song.

then I've been recommended the electric presidents album which is supposedly good(same label as the go find)

haven't listened to mgmt yet even I got the leak like two days ago

woot... new album ? *gonna check*
yup, and it's good!

the first disc is a liiiiittle overlong (what? a 43 minute drone piece is overlong???), but the second disc really shines.

4/5 right now.

like everything they've ever done, i need some time to digest it properly. :toast:

yup, and it's good!

the first disc is a liiiiittle overlong (what? a 43 minute drone piece is overlong???), but the second disc really shines.

4/5 right now.

like everything they've ever done, i need some time to digest it properly. :toast:

nice, ive nearly finished downloading it and I am pretty excited... that 43 minutes full of drone might be challenging for me though =S

i've been a big fan of their folk stuff

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
listening to Joanna Newsom is so frustrating that it makes me want to punch someone. maybe her, unless she's hot or something, I don't know. she could write a good song if she wanted to, but unfortunately just goes into the fucking stratosphere with embellishments that add absolutely nothing to the value of the song, which is something that aggravates me to no end. unless she learns about "subtlety" and "restraint," she'll never be more than someone who Pitchfork people jerk it to. the line between Joanna Newsom and, say, Dragonforce or Dream Theater isn't as definitive as people think; it's musical gluttony, plain and simple.

and for all those people who say the songs' "lack of structure" makes it great: listen to New Amerykah Part 1: 4th World War by Erykah Badu for an example of making a great album with songs that lack any kind of traditional structure. and she only needed half the time to do it.

Just got back to school around 20 minutes ago, first thing I did was hop on my computer and download Congratulations. Sadly I have class in 45 minutes, and I take time when doing album playthroughs, so after class its mgmt the rest of the day.

Also the only song I have listened to is obviously Flash Delirium, which strangely I really like, and I hear people saying its the worst, so fuck i'm excited.

Will update with impressions later.

EDIT: After one listen, I can say its damn good, but I need to listen to it about 40 more times lol, Flash delirium is still my favorite at this point.

EDIT2: At this point Flash Delirium is pretty much cemented as my favorite song on the album, so damn good, although It can't beat Metanoia and Weekend Wars from my favorite mgmt song yet.

Also I would like to give my final impressions on American Ghetto.

In my opinion the album is very bland, its got a few decent songs but that's only in the context of the album. Compared to their previous work even the decent songs on American Ghetto are terrible. I didn't mind listening to it, its just something I don't feel like listening to again, overall very lackluster and bland album, hopefully their future work is better.

EDIT: Also Just downloaded the Broken Bells debut album (James Mercer of the shins and Danger Mouse), will also update this post with impressions on this.

EDIT: turns out I didn't have the full thing, will update later.

i think alot of the hate for flash delirium is just a kneejerk reaction to the sudden change in sound and i definitely dont see why anyone should apologize for liking it (let alone the band themselves).

congratulations is pretty much all ive listened to since downloading last night. i'm not sure i could pick a standout track as the whole album is really consistent, but if i had to it would be its working or flash delirium. its working sounds like some sort of crazy medieval acid trip (and as far as i can make out thats pretty much what the lyrics concern lol), and flash delirium is just so joyful. they said in the link above something like "we were laughing so hard when we wrote that song", almost in a dismissive way, but i dont think they need to apologize for the song at all. when the synths and the layered chanting kick in, it's always gets me.

you also have to respect them for making such a radical change. not many bands that got so much radio play and album sales and all that stuff would go on to create a 12 minute song about...something.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ted leo and the pharmacists - the brutalist bricks

fantastic pop punk from a mainstay. solid album as usual. sounds like ted got a good editor after living with the living.

laura veirs - july flame

the best female vocal album this year. if joanna newsome turns you off, this is your album.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)