2011 Music

Agreed, Bon Iver's album (and his older works) are very boring.

Sleigh Bells is working on their new album I'm excited :avatar:

The 2 new albums I'm trying to get (if anyone has a download, let me know)

Ruining It for Everybody - Iwrestledabearonce
Against the World - Winds of Plague

From what I've heard, it sounds like Iwabo is doing some strange experimental stuff and I'm not sure I'm digging where they are taking the band. But Winds of Plague is staying consistent and awesome as ever

New Washed Out was streaming on NPR, and listening to the album as a whole was pretty disappointing. Individual songs are pretty good, but nothing stood out (besides Amor Fati) and I hard a hard time getting through it all in one sitting. Really unfortunate, it was the album I was most looking forward to as well =(.

My favorite album this year has been Cults, definitely. Junior Boys was good too, but not everyone likes them.

Haven't heard that many of this year's releases yet, but the two albums that I'd been the most fucking blown away by so far were definitely Cold Cave's Cherish The Light Years (got it after reading Glen's review of it many pages back in this thread and all I can say is fucking huge thanks for mentioning it man, that album really delivers) and Septic Flesh's The Great Mass (I highly recommend it to all metal fans in this thread).

Blackfield's Welcome To My DNA is growing on me more and more with each and every listen but it will never reach the same level as their previous two in my book.
I seriously can't get into Septic Flesh. I even understood perfectly that the new album sounds great but I just can't swallow it whole.

Also, the same thing is happening to me with Welcome To My DNA. Far Away has actually grown to be one of my favorite Blackfield songs already and the album's concept, revolving around travelling, home and longing, has recently struck a nail on my head. I even got around to reviewing the album - can be read here: Welcome To My DNA

Also, the new Architecture In Helsinki album, Moment Bends, surprised me a great deal. I had completely forgotten all about this band as the last time I listened to them was somewhere around 2 to 3 years ago. The new album fixed me up with a merry mixture of feel-good music that differs a bit from their older production by being a lot easier to listen to. I would understand if this album wouldn't be too popular amond the fans though.

The album of the year has been released.

*shels - Plains Of The Purple Buffalo
(post-rock / shoegaze / atmospheric sludge metal)

In the legend of the White Buffalo Woman the Sioux people of the North American plains explain what material desire may cause you. In this myth, two brave people see a figure approaching them from a distance. The figure turns out to be a beautiful woman clad in white buckskin. One of the two recognizes the sacredness of the woman right away and warns the other not to approach her - in vain. The woman and the daredevil disappear in a white cloud and when the cloud rises into the thin air, only bones are left of the daring brave. The woman leaves the scene and makes her way to the village of these two and presents the village people with a sacred pipe. She also tells them of six other rites that will be made known to the tribe in time. Then she goes away silently, turning first into a red and brown buffalo calf, then into a white buffalo, then finally into a black buffalo.

The fourth buffalo is purple and it takes you on a mind-altering journey over the vast plains of the buffalo. *shels guides you through this quest with their latest eponymous release of Plains Of The Purple Buffalo, which redefines post-rock of today and presents the village of the world something to desire./

Rest Of The Review Here

There's also a download link in the review and I encourage you to try this one out - you will not be disappointed.

Already posted on your lastfm about it, but huge thanks Echo for sharing that album, it is excellent indeed and it has completely blown my mind multiple times during first listen, especially during Plains Of The Purple Buffalo Pt 2, The Spirit Horse and Leaving The Plains; definitely an album I'm going to give a lot of time. Very nice review as well.

Also some of my friends have convinced me to finally get The King Of Limbs after all, and I'm so glad I did because Codex and Separator are fucking awesome songs, and the rest of the album is alright as well and not boring by any means, and actually seems like a grower. I don't understand all the negative reviews for this album anymore.

Also just got around to listening to new Foo Fighters and it's a really amazing and fun album for some easy-listening.

Probably going to check out new And So I Watch You From Afar now which is rumoured to be in the same veins and of the same overall quality as their self-titled debut (which btw sounds somewhat like a more accessible version of Animals As Leaders' self-titled debut).

plains of the purple buffalo was pretty good but not aoty material.

speaking of aoty i think so far stream of passion's darker days is my aoty. i am expecting this to change somewhere around september - october what with new mastodon / opeth / meshuggah, and then perhaps again in december if cynic do indeed release a new album.

plains of the purple buffalo was pretty good but not aoty material.

speaking of aoty i think so far stream of passion's darker days is my aoty. i am expecting this to change somewhere around september - october what with new mastodon / opeth / meshuggah, and then perhaps again in december if cynic do indeed release a new album.
Heh, the album bounced up to my aoty materials right away. Been listening to it non-stop.

I'm not really into symphonic metal but judging by your posts here, it seems like you have great taste in music, so I might as well give the album a spin!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I heard the new While Heaven Wept album, Fear of Infinity. Kind of dissapointing compared to Vast Oceans Lachrymose (which I loved to death).

I'm having second thoughts about the album of the year. Fair To Midland just struck me with a slam straight to the head. Maybe I should just wait for the year to end.

Fair To Midland - Arrows And Anchors
(alternative rock / progressive metal / avant-garde metal

People have always carved symbols into the tombstones of the departed - the ones they have cried tears of sorrow for and the ones they wish never to rise from the abyss. In gravestones the arrow symbolizes martyrdom and mortality, which bear strange resemblance to each other. One is defying the inevitable whereas one is the inevitable. Of old, the anchor has been a symbol of hope and eternal life in Christian burial. The sailing ships from this world to the next, the solemn anchor deserted at the gray havens.

After a burial of four years, Fair To Midland rises from the ground, shattering their tombstones into shards of granite. Reincarnation is not possible when you have never been deceased. Thus, the band defies their mortality and has created a piece of music promising hope and giving an eternal life to the ears of its serendipitous listener. Fables From A Mayfly set the bar high in 2007 but Fair To Midland's latest, Arrows And Anchors, not only leaps over the bar with major ease but has also brought a bar of its own, which is set musical miles above the previous. Not only has the band come to life, they have also brought a different form of life into their music. Life that implodes your speakers.

The rest is here.

Oh cool I liked Fair To Midland's 2007 album (which i had thought was their debut until i just checked >_>) a lot, didn't realize they were releasing an album this year. Will have to check it out.

(Also my pick for aoty so far is the rather standard choice of PJ Harvey's Let England Shake, but I admit to not having heard a bunch of stuff this year).

Haven't listened to Fair To Midland before that new album, so I found the vocals a bit annoying sometimes (probably they'll grow on me over time, though). And while it was overall a pretty fucking amazing and fun album (especially liked the guitar riffs and the catchy synths), I felt like it wasn't that solid at some parts. So after first listen it is "only" #4 on my list of 2011 albums, below new *shels, Cold Cave and Septic Flesh, with #5 being Foo Fighters.

Also listened to new And So I Watch You From Afar, and it was a lot less energetic than their previous release, so it was considerably less appealing. By all means, though, this album still worths a few listens at least (then again, so many albums do, which is the main problem that often puts me off from getting new music / giving less appealing albums more time in case they might grow on and suddenly click with me).

Also I don't understand the hype around James Blake's debut. I mean it is alright, but it's not amazing or anything.

Other stuff on my to get list in terms of new stuff that had already been released: new Arms And Sleepers, Symphony X (no longer really into this band anymore but people claim Iconoclast is a lot better than Paradise Lost and I used to love that album), R.E.M., Ulver, Cave In and uneXpect (lol. uneXpect's previous release didn't really grow on me at all yet, though tbh I haven't even given it much time, but my friends claim it's a huge grower and that their new one is even a lot better, so yeah).

And still super excited for Steven Wilson's new solo album.

edit: Fair To Midland - Golden Parachutes is probably my most favourite song right now.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think the hype around james blake's debut came from before the album itself got released. I was pretty eager to hear it it, but was pretty disappointed.

Have a nice day.

@Squarewalker; uneXpect's new release is better than their last one for sure because there is some actual attempt at songwriting. The transitions are much more natural and they've dropped the hokey carnival theme that pervaded In a Flesh Aquarium. I was really hyped for the album because I had heard Orange Vigilantes when it first came out and it's a stellar song; everything I like about uneXpect but more cohesive than past offerings. However when the album rolled around uneXpect is still uneXpect; still way too much being weird for the sake of being weird and it drags the album down. Having said that, there are large sections of Fables of the Sleepless Empire where uneXpect are on a roll and when they are on they are ON.

TL;DR- new uneXpect is a very good showing from a band with a lot of promise, but don't get your hopes too up. high 3.5/5 from me for Fables of the Sleepless Empire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)