2011 Music

I liked watch the throne but i'm a bit disappointed it doesn't carry all the "epicness" kanye got me used to in MBDTF. It's there but in very small doses. I really like Otis, That's My Bitch and No Church in the Wild. It's expected though, this being a collaborative project and not something 100% out of mr. west's head.

Late to the Goblin party but I can't stop hearing it. Love the concept.

Anyone looking forward to The Rapture's In The Grace of Your Love which is being released September 5th/6th?

1st Single: How Deep Is Your Love?

Really great track. I tried listening to their older work and found it different from the above and couldn't really get into it.

i really love sit down, man
every song is gold to me, but idk

on the first one, a lot of them are hit n miss
im eagerly awaiting Relax 8)
Michael Jackson is only ok, but after listening to Heems on Womyn I have new hope. Womyn is too funny, in the back when Heems starts the whole mediocre part of the song (some women are bad and some are harmless) and then the hypeman (it's Kool A.D. there right?) says "what?" disapprovingly after each verse, always gets me.

Anyone looking forward to The Rapture's In The Grace of Your Love which is being released September 5th/6th?

1st Single: How Deep Is Your Love?

Really great track. I tried listening to their older work and found it different from the above and couldn't really get into it.
That's quite possibly the greatest song from 2011 for me. I can't get enough of it. I never listened to these guys before, but I'm really excited about the upcoming album.

A lot of people were talking about it, and I really didn't like it either. I thought I was the only one.

Elzhi released a tribute to Illmatic earlier this year, but I only found it today. He's no Nas and his spoken rambling at the beginning of some of the tracks is much more annoying than on the original.

"The Genesis"
"One Love" (not big on his take on the chorus, though)
"Represent"

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80

Dunno how I missed this when it came out but it's a really good, rather thoughtful hip hop album with great lyrics and great smooth beats. It might be hip hop album of the year so far for me (it's been a weak year though, admittedly).

Here's a link to my favorite song off the album
HiiiPOWER

Probably my favourite song so far from 2011: Baby Rain by Brite Futures

Catchy, upbeat, and very very fun to dance to ;)

They're an indie rock/electro/pop band from Seattle and they used to be called Natalie Portman's Shaved Head.

The Rapture's new album is pretty...well for me it's best described as "meh." Speaking of which, did you ever give Think Tank a spin, doom?

Brand New Wayo: Funk, Fast Times & Nigerian Boogie Badness 1979-1983

I've been enjoying this album too much to not post about it. It's a compilation of 15 Nigerian boogie, disco, and funk hits from 79-83. The most interesting thing about this is that it honestly doesn't sound too different from what was playing in the Western world at the time. The sound of Michael Jackson looms large over this collection in places, but nothing feels horribly derivative or anything of that sort. It's just a very solid collection of good to great tunes that I'm almost positive you won't have heard before. And it's a hell of a lot of fun.

@Arch; it's dled on my computer but I haven't given it a spin yet. Guess I got to now. :P

Absolutely loving this album at the moment, alongside everything coming from the Brainfeeder label. Cushion is probably my favourite track on the album, nice mix of chill grooves and aggressive patch sounds.

Really looking forward to the Thundercat album too, For Love I Come is crazy chill with Flying Lotus on the production, nice to see a bassist getting a bit of love too

thought you'd be more of a chkchkchk guy
heh, truthfully I only found out about chkchkchk after using this as a username for a while.

I give them the occasional listen though, it's all about variation. I'm going to fall asleep to Sigur Ros now as I'm quite drunk

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80

Dunno how I missed this when it came out but it's a really good, rather thoughtful hip hop album with great lyrics and great smooth beats. It might be hip hop album of the year so far for me (it's been a weak year though, admittedly).

Here's a link to my favorite song off the album
HiiiPOWER
That seems to be everyone favorite song off that album, a friend of mine introduced me to KL, I'm still trying to learn about him more, he sounds pretty good.

mentioned the Thundercat album in my previous post, turns out it is now streaming on hype machine, you can listen here

I think I just died with this album. A fortified candidate for my metal album of the year.

Ghost Brigade - Until Fear No Longer Defines Us
(atmospheric sludge metal / progressive metal)

Closed curtains refuse to let the daylight penetrate through, the slight beams of light wander lost somewhere in the gray haze of the autumn. The room behind the curtains is as dark and solemn as the man sitting inside it. The floor filled with debris, the shelves bending under the weight of drained bottles of something stronger than spring water. The only thing visible on the face of the crestfallen man are a stubble replete enough to be called a beard and the clean lines carving a canyon down from his eyes - the path of tears that have dried ages ago. He has no one but the black rain bludgeoning its droplets against the only window in the room.

I think that when a band manages to create such vivid imagery into your mind during one monumental album, you can't help but to lay high expectations on what will follow. Isolations Songs is single-handedly emotionally the most raw, sullen creation I have heard up to date in genre of metal. Until Fear No Longer Defines Us, the third full-length album from the Finnish quintet, is not a lonesome man on the verge of a silent suicide. No, it is the repentance and penitence of a man on his knees, waiting for the sunlight to burst into his heart.

Read the rest here on thought.stream

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)