Project DOU Teambuilding Competition v3 Week 23 (Randpokes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
approved by the DOU moderation team. Also I paraphrased the OP from the old thread.
PsFJSQy.png

art by Fusion Flare!

The DOU Teambuilding Competition is back again again after a long hiatus! The way this project works is I post a new Pokemon, core, or anything of the sort, and you compete to see who can make the best team out of it. Each team posted must include the importable and explanation of the building process behind the team along with its strengths and weaknesses. After I post the concept to build around, you get 5 days dedicated to building the team and 2 days dedicated to voting. Whoever wins the competition for the week get placed in the Hall of Fame!

Rules:

1) Don't copy teams.

If you copy someone else's team that was already posted, you get disqualified. Pretty cut and dry.

2) No voting for yourself.
Do I even have to explain this one :worrywhirl:

3) No asking for votes.
Don't go around begging people to vote for your team or anything of the sort. It makes it so instead of who has the most creative team, the person who has the most connections win. If I catch you doing it you're getting disqualified.

4) Make sure the teams are actually functional.
Basically I want to teams to be usable and viable in DOU while using something unconventional whether it be a mon, moveset, etc. If a team is bad im not going to do much initially but I might if it becomes an actual issue.

5) Ties
If there's a tie, I'm going to use !pick in the Smogon Doubles Room on Pokemon Showdown. This is to prevent potential bias from me, intentional or not.

Example Team:

:volcanion: :rillaboom: :landorus: :zeraora: :sylveon: :porygon2:

here's where you describe the building process and strengths/weaknesses of the team

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Protect

Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SpA / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Detect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 132 SpA / 108 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room
- Recover

HALL OF FAME

Week 1: (Shadow Tag) :gothitelle: :zygarde: :incineroar: :tapu-fini: :rillaboom: :zapdos-galar: by Actuarily
Week 2: (Buzzwole) :buzzwole: :tyranitar: :rillaboom: :kartana: :heatran: :urshifu: by emma
Week 3: (Tsareena) :regidrago: :kartana: :tsareena: :heatran: :zapdos: :urshifu: by zeefable
Week 4: (Moltres-Galar) :moltres-galar: :rillaboom: :sylveon: :zeraora: :kartana: :urshifu: by umbry
Week 5: (Kommo-o) :ribombee: :zygarde: :heatran: :kommo-o: :kartana: :rillaboom: by fespy
Week 6 : (Drifblim) :tapu-lele: :drifblim: :zygarde: :heatran: :kartana: :urshifu: by Grandmas Cookin
Week 7: (Sand) :garchomp: :togekiss: :kartana: :gigalith: :rillaboom: :dracozolt: by Paraplegic
Week 8: (Rain) :pelipper: :kingdra: :rillaboom: :tsareena: :urshifu: :registeel: by fespy
Week 9: (Spectrier) :Spectrier: :togekiss: :urshifu: :metagross: :rillaboom: :zygarde: by Actuarily
Week 10: (Naganadel) :naganadel: :tyranitar: :kyurem-black: :urshifu: :mew: :rillaboom: by Hrishioo7
Week 11: (Genesect) :rillaboom: :zeraora: :togekiss: :zygarde: :tapu-fini: :genesect: by Actuarily
Week 12: (Sticky Web) :slurpuff: :tapu-lele: :necrozma: :kartana: :kommo-o: :incineroar: by SMB
Week 13: (Sun) :ninetales: :venusaur: :tsareena: :urshifu: :heatran: :mew: by Nido-Rus
Week 14 (Diancie) :diancie: :zeraora: :tapu-fini: :landorus-therian: :genesect: :amoonguss: by Paraplegic
Week 15 (Celesteela) :celesteela::landorus-therian::dragapult::pincurchin::kyurem-black::tapu-fini: by Yellow Paint
Week 16 (Nihilego) :Nihilego: :Volcanion: :zeraora: :genesect: :mew: :tsareena: by Meminger21
Week 17 (Galarian Zapdos) :zapdos galar: :zygarde: :mew: :tsareena: :tapu fini: :genesect:by Actuarily
Week 18 (Stakataka) :stakataka: :cresselia: :rillaboom: :volcanion: :landorus: :zeraora: by DaWoblefet
Week 19 (Crobat) :crobat: :zygarde: :kyurem black: :victini: :tapu lele: :urshifu: by Yellow Paint
Week 20 (Randpokes) :Entei: :Sylveon: :Rillaboom: :Cresselia: :Scrafty: :Zygarde: by Actuarily
Week 21 (Pheromosa) :pheromosa: :ninetales alola: :arctozolt: :zygarde: :mew: :crawdaunt: by cinnasaur
Week 22 (Zamazenta-H) :zamazenta: :celesteela: :whimsicott: :landorus: :volcanion: :tsareena: by YoBuddy

Last edited:

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
:ss/celesteela:

First week back is going to be Celesteela! It's obviously an extremely good Pokemon in the meta at the moment with its flagship Meteor Beam set (and Defensive existing), but its wide movepool is still mostly untapped, making it a good candidate.

Deadline for building is Monday, April 18th and voting will last until the 20th.

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
Sah-pah-ex-steel-yah

One of my favorite sets to watch in gen 7 was KyleCole's sneaky specsteela set. I think it would be a fun concept to try nowadays. The strengths is it creates more immediate power over the traditional meteor beam allowing for a faster snowball. The cons is that it requires much more implicit team support, especially with the inability to protect and fake out cycle.

So I start with specsteela with this in mind. Then I want to move to a physical set up mon to compliment the heavy support team I am going to have. While kyub is a consideration ofc, zygie can still win in the face of heavy intimidates and allows just for a better incin mu altogether. The next choice was either rila or amoon for the grass support. I decided that rilla allows some sort of terrain for the team, gives a power up to based giga drain, and can be quite nasty with its ability to grab kos late game after zygie and cele do some work. Incin is always a nice pairing with zygie or cele and adds a second fake out along with it ability to knock. Blastoise is a third support mon. Follow me support really helps the lack of protect/fake-out cycling steela cant rely on. Plus I knew I could mold toise into what I needed in the slot. Mew cleans up as it usually does as the tailwind support of the team.

Set clean up time: Speed on steela is to outspeed lando I after -1. Honestly there is a really good argument to run either more bulky or faster to get modest nag but they are not that convincing imo. Soft sand may seem weird on zygie but honestly it is one of my favorite sets. Sometimes lefties plus grassy terrain leaves a lot of power off the table in exchange for unneeded recovery. Also the ability to bluff a jolly band set is always a plus. Fast rilla is nice to pivot off of kyubs and such. I do not like having to rely on zygie for Ran so highorse is def the play. The amount of tects on the team was atrocious so I decided to run protect over flare blitz on incin. Honestly there are very few instances where I missed blitz but tons of situations where I was happy to have another tect. Non fake out toise may seem weird but cmon, we do not need 4 fakes. Roar and toxic help a lot with bulky set up mus. Plus something to keep in mind is that by running phazing on a traditionally fake-out mon really allows you to repostion the field when they tect into a predicted fake-out. Icy-wind bc I am a two speed control type of guy. Then speed evs to outspeed land-i and mew after icy wind. (I really do not know whether icy wind belongs as the first move in the move order or follow me btw). Then Mew needs to clean up what I lack. This cc set is to put even more pressure on ran and company. Attack evs to two shot univested kyub in grassy. The last move is something I can not decide on tbh, anything from super fang to fire-blast to icebeam to taunt. For now I like fireblast just because members of the team can be very passive against opposing steelas.

Overall I like the team and should be able to be competive in any mu. The biggest problems are ofc relying on toise and a build up of offensive pressure to beat bulky set up spams, and the shared weakness zygie and steela have to Canadian hail type teams. These can be played around but sometimes you may just get snowballed by stuff. That is mons tho.

Snow Goggles (Celesteela) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Giga Drain
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower

Aviators (Zygarde) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

Contact lenses (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 24 HP / 248 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn

Monocle (Incineroar) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Atk / 40 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Protect

Blindfold (Blastoise) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 136 HP / 208 Def / 8 SpA / 40 SpD / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Toxic
- Roar

Bifocal (Mew) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Last edited:

Meminger21

Lágrimas Ocultas
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Celesteela Semiroom:

:celesteela: :tapu-fini: :incineroar: :diancie: :mew: :Tsareena:
One of Celesteela main weakness is its bad speed tier, not being able to outspeed its common checks like Zygarde, Zeraora and most fire types, while also having some trouble against mons that it should check well, like Naganadel, Kyurem-B and, most notably, Psyspam, but its access to Meteor Beam makes it a great potential sweeper. With these weaknesses in mind I decided to build a semiroom team around celesteela to exploit its low speed.

Fini and Incineroar have a nice synergy, mainly defensive, giving the team a better matchup against psyspam, kyube, zygarde and fire-types, while allowing the team to setup tr way easier with a fake out mon and scarf trick fini, being able to trap taunt mons, mainly zeraora. Fini also helps vs more offense teams and can reset the terrain, what can be really useful vs amoonguss.

Diancie and Mew were the choices for trick room setters. Diancie is really powerful offensively and gives the team a solid wincon, while being able to check kyube, incin, p2 and mainly volcanion, mew can also set tr and was chosen, instead of p2, because it doesn't lose to shifu and has access to fake out. Diancie didn't need goggles because of fini so I chose hard rock for the power, body press also gives us a better matchup vs p2 and opposing diancie, which can be a little tricky to play against. Mew's attacks were chosen based on the team weakness to volcanion, celesteela and amoonguss, while also helping vs naga and rilla. Also both mew and diancie can pressure a lot of celesteela checks.

Tsareena was the last pick since it helps diancie and mew set the tr while also checking zygarde, shifu, diancie, fini, lando and, to some extent, amoonguss. It's also a very slow pokemon so it can be a great pivot on tr and pick some kos. Another thing that made me choose tsareena for last slot was its access to Feint. One of the main problems of tr teams is that 4 turns are usually not enough to win the game and setting up another tr costs a lot, so feint can help by exploiting the main check to tr, protect. It's particularly useful when paired with diancie and celesteela.

The final team requires some pivoting with tsareena and incin to set the trick room and maybe locking a taunt user with fini, but whenever the tr is up celesteela and diancie can be a huge threat. It's very important to save the meteor beam on celesteela for incin or volcanion and bring celesteela on resisted attacks or by u-turn/parting shot, also be careful vs amoonguss.

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
:pheromosa: :diancie: :torkoal: :rillaboom: :zeraora: :celesteela:
Pheromosa Speed Swap Semiroom
https://pokepast.es/0e5f666f0964cdc3

This is probably one of my better teams. I tried to post a team that was good but still interesting in some way, and i settled on this. This team actually wasn't even built around celesteela originally, I wanted to use pheromosa on a diancie + torkoal build because speed swap gives you an alternative to setting a second trick room. Hhp rilla is for the steels, mainly heatran, and ebelt zera lets it ohko urshifu with plasma fists and ohko dragapult with adamant knock off. Every time i use this set i'm pleasantly surprised at how strong it is, i would definitely recommend giving it a shot. Life orb is an option but i do not enjoy taking 10% every time i click fake out. Celesteela was chosen in the last slot because it's just extremely well supported here. Double fake out combined with speed swap and trick room to get around it's mediocre speed tier is great. This team also appreciates celesteela removing mons like volcanion, diancie, and genesect. It also works as a solid late game wincon. Flamethrower also just gives celesteela more coverage overall and it's effectively stab too because we have torkoal's sun. From my experience using it, this team does require good knowledge of what you can and can't bring pheromosa in on, as pheromosa will die to most neutral hits. This team also doesn't have the best matchup vs tailwind if diancie can't get trick room up, but i feel like that goes for most semiroom teams. It's not like you don't have counterplay to opposing speed control either between taunt and being able to kill every relevant tailwind setter. Overall, this is a pretty cool team, diancie + torkoal shreds through everything under tr and outside of tr pheromosa is a potent offensive threat and can speed swap its slower teammates to be less reliant on trick room going up.

I wasn't going to include a replay, but while i was using this team i played mack knife using their celesteela team, so i'll just include it because why not:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1553387211

T spikes + leech seed Celesteela:

:Celesteela: :Tapu Koko: :Kyurem-Black: :Zygarde: :Mew: :Incineroar:

This team is built around toxic spikes, leech seed celesteela, and DD Zygarde.

Celesteela and Zygarde have great synergy, and both appreciate t spikes draining away the opponent’s health every turn. Koko is there as one of the best terrains for t spikes, since grassy terrain halves the damage poison would do, and misty terrain lets opponents avoid getting poisoned. Celesteela has steel roller as a secondary way of removing these terrains. Koko is also useful as a fast pivot with speed control, and if any opponents may be tough to handle you can always nature’s madness them early. The rest of the team is built around setting t spikes, creating free turns for zygarde to set up, or defeating the few mons that threaten Celesteela.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
:celesteela::landorus-therian::dragapult::pincurchin::kyurem-black::tapu-fini:
Our Celest of choice here is defensive Steel Roller, paired with Band Explosion Lando T. Celest is an EQ immunity, and Steel Roller can remove Grassy and Misty Terrain for Lando and Tspikes. Specs Dragapult is a natural addition for Explosion immunity and speed tier. Pincurchin was chosen here since it is both a Terrain that does not hinder the rest of the team and a Tspikes setter to help with Celest attrition. Pin survives LO Naga and Band Urshi. Kyube was added next mostly for raw stats, but it's important for beating Rilla and Lando and Zera, and Icy Wind is helpful. The final slot is Scarf Telepathy Fini, which is an excellent Lando partner that also helps a few matchups like Urshi and TR.
Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Steel Roller
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Explosion
- U-turn

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Pincurchin @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rising Voltage
- Toxic Spikes
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpA / 8 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 140 HP / 152 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Nature's Madness
- Trick

zoe

Tragic Decision
DOU & Discord Head
Voting is now closed, and congrats to Yellow Paint for winning a narrow vote! never though i'd see a pincurchin win anything :worrywhirl:

This week's pokemon is: Nihilego! :ss/nihilego: While its not necessarily common, both its Meteor Beam and (to a lesser extent) Toxic Spikes sets have seen sporadic use.

Building phase lasts until Tuesday April 26th and voting ends on the 28th.

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
Octopus and Ant oppression

I thought Nihl plus Set-Up-Ant could be very oppressive with Transform Mew. Had to run ep and ice beam on mew to cover both of their weaknesses better (no tw but we plenty speed; considered +speed beast boost nihl tho). The evs on mew are to one-shot Ran, and zygie. You dont miss the speed nature too much btw. Amoong helps these guys set up and it doesnt get yeeted by either rila or ursh. Scarf fini helps with speed, terrain, and bops some things if needed. This fini can slide real easy into a calm mind set which helps with the already added support structure. Then incin is to do incin stuff and adds another fake , a knock, and a phaze. We need to get stuff big against bulky sweeps but it is feasible.

Last edited:

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
Nigel's Ego

:nihilego: :naganadel: :celesteela: :urshifu: :rillaboom: :landorus:
Nihilego Meteor Beam Offense
https://pokepast.es/f5b61823449cdda7

I spent like 2 days trying to think of a good partner for nihilego. I tried celesteela, landorus, fini, even crobat and thundurus at one point and nothing seemed to work, and then i came up with this. Nihilego + Naga actually cover each other's weaknesses pretty nicely, and despite them both being weak to ground, they both check lando offensively anyway. Because i didn't want to be too weak to grounds defensively, i added celesteela. Celesteela is a lando hard counter and can act as a secondary wincon. It also removes tr mons like volcanion and can effectively stall out tr turns with wide guard and it's low speed tier which is nice. Urshifu was added to beat steels and it has ice punch for the zygarde matchup. Life orb urshifu ohkos diancie and p2 which also helps vs trick room, and i don't mind not having aqua jet for lando as much bc between 2 offensive checks in nihi and naga and defensive checks in celesteela and rillaboom, the matchup is already fine. Rillaboom is terrain control for the psyspam matchup and has knock off to weaken p2 so your strong attackers can kill it after tr ends (if it does go up) landorus as the last mon because it's a good nihi partner and just easy to slap on teams in general. This team can snowball out of control pretty quickly with 3 beast boost mons an urshifu + lando being a strong offensive duo, and then there's rillaboom doing rillaboom things. Sub on lando is also an option but psychic feels more worth bc this team doesn't have goggles anywhere so having as many ways to hit amoong as possible is nice.

Meminger21

Lágrimas Ocultas
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
:Nihilego: :Volcanion: :zeraora: :genesect: :mew: :tsareena:

This team is based around the core of Nihi and Volcanion, that in theory are great offensive partners. Nihilego checks lando, kyurem-b and fini while Volcanion helps against steel types that nihi basically can't touch, it's also specially great vs rilla, amoonguss and can absorb surging strikes from shifu if needed. Volcanion is also holding goggles, because the final team looked weak to amoonguss and it also has overheat, because nothing else is needed and overheat can help picking some kos. Zeraora offers them a Knock Off user, threatening p2 and TR, while being a decent speed control and having acess to Fake Out.

The rest of the team basically covers the weaknesses of those 3 while aiding nihi in some way. Genesect helps the team vs psyspam, zygarde and rilla, also being a great revenge killer. Mew with wow and snarl covers a lot of the team weaknesses and also provides fake out and tw as speed control (soft boiled can also be an option). Tsareena checks zygarde, zeraora and rain, while blocking priority which helps nihi a lot.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
:nihilego::zygarde::incineroar::amoonguss::zapdos-galar::kyurem-black:
Here's a straightforward Nihi build, mostly posting because there isn't a Zyg squad yet. Nihi's main issues include Steels, Rilla, and Urshi. Band Zyg beats Steels and is just a reliable attacker. Incin beats Rilla and Gene, and is fat and annoying. Amoong beats Urshi, and is fat and annoying. At this point, I decided I didn't want Tailwind, so I added Scarf Gapdos for speed and Intim punish, and made Nihi speed boosting. Finally, I added DD Kyube, as it's great with Incin and Amoong.
Nihilego @ Power Herb
EVs: 80 Def / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Protect

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 160 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 88 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Quick Guard

Kyurem-Black @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)