Ability Unity!

Am I the only person whose list actually did ignore all of the exclusive type combos?
Exclusive type combos you included: Bug/Fighting (Heracross + Mega), Bug/Ground (Wormadam, listed twice), Dark/Dragon (Hydreigon line), Dark/Fire (Houndoom +Mega, listed twice), Dragon/Rock (Tyrantrum line, listed twice), Pure Flying (Tornadus forms), Flying/Rock (Aerodactyl + Mega, unless you wanna use Archen, 'cause Archeops is banned. Also, listed twice)
If you're also referring to my post, I did it to future-proof the list -- maybe Gen 7 will add another Water/Fire type, so might as well add Water Absorb as an option for Water/Fire. Not useful now, but it could be later.

So this isn't a wasted post, some sets I thought of:

Zygarde @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge/Extreme Speed
- Toxic/Extreme Speed

Tankgarde? While you miss Stealth Rock (which might be a deal-breaker, honestly) you gain a significant amount of bulk over Chomp. You can customize the EVs, but here's the max/max comparison:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 216-256 (51.4 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 252-300 (60 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Defog

Aside from the annoying miss chance and lack of Taunt, Moltres runs this set better than Talonflame. You're bulkier, more powerful and you even get priority Defog!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk/Roar

People have talked about a few Suicune sets, most of which have more generally useful abilities, as probably the only good Suction Cups user, I thought I'd mention this as well. People deal with CroCune by phazing it, but now you can't!

Finally, when it comes to the banlist my stance is:
  • Unban Prankster
  • Unban Aerilate Noivern
  • Ban Noivern in general (if need be)
  • BE VERY CAREFUL OF DRAGONITE
EDIT: Missed The Immortal's post between the two much larger posts.
#LegalizePrankster

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
If you're also referring to my post, I did it to future-proof the list -- maybe Gen 7 will add another Water/Fire type, so might as well add Water Absorb as an option for Water/Fire. Not useful now, but it could be later.

So this isn't a wasted post, some sets I thought of:

Zygarde @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge/Extreme Speed
- Toxic/Extreme Speed

Tankgarde? While you miss Stealth Rock (which might be a deal-breaker, honestly) you gain a significant amount of bulk over Chomp. You can customize the EVs, but here's the max/max comparison:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 216-256 (51.4 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 252-300 (60 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Defog

Aside from the annoying miss chance and lack of Taunt, Moltres runs this set better than Talonflame. You're bulkier, more powerful and you even get priority Defog!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk/Roar

People have talked about a few Suicune sets, most of which have more generally useful abilities, as probably the only good Suction Cups user, I thought I'd mention this as well. People deal with CroCune by phazing it, but now you can't!

Finally, when it comes to the banlist my stance is:
  • Unban Prankster
  • Unban Aerilate Noivern
  • Ban Noivern in general (if need be)
  • BE VERY CAREFUL OF DRAGONITE
the immortal has already stated that aerialate is banned. so noivern and dnite aren't worth "worrying over" anymore lol.

So, thoughts:
First off, great post. Its comprehendive, detailed, and has good images. However, I have some things that migh thave been missed/glossed over that you might want to look at:
Suction cups isn't very good, especially on its two users in dark/psychic. Infiltrator is less so, but might want to move down.
Good point. I'm going to move them down, then.

Similarly, gooey and hydration aren't that notable or good.
I may understand Gooey, but Hydration may still be usable on a Rain team. But yes, it's still very niche. Down.

Sand force isn't good, and levitate isn't notable on dragon ground types.
Hmm... yeah, admittedly they are extremely niche. Fine, onto the niche list.

Tyrantrum is a single evolutionary line (hera is as well, but at least has a mega ability)
Tyrantrum inherits Sturdy from Tyrunt, so that's why it's in the list. Sure, Rock Head is a much preferred choice, but Sturdy could be decent-ish for a suicide lead.

But eh, I guess I will move it down. And yes, I've kept the Pokémon which change Ability upon Mega Evolving.

Guts isn't notable on any pure electric types.
True. Down it goes.

Aroma Veil isn't really notable. Taunt immunity is nice, but thats pretty niche.
This too. Could be somewhat usable for a full stall or mono-attack Clefable... I guess.

A bunch of repeats are to be had, Idk if they are worth removing or are fine.
If it about type repetitions, like Dragon/Flying and Flying/Dragon, I just did that for simplicity's sake. However, if there are objections, I can remove the repetitions.

Immunity has no niche when compared with poison heal.
True. I'd better take it away.

Articuno isn't notable.
Eh, I guess so. Since it has both terrible Abilities and typing, I may as well remove it from the radar.

Water veil is decent on gyarados, and probably should get moved- hydration is not.
Good point.

Regirock is totally notable, especially when compared with, say, Armaldo. (Also since registeel is notable)
...How did I type it? O_O

Fixing.

Rhydon is notable, more so than Rhypherior likely.
Yes, their stats aren't much different and Rhydon can use Eviolite.

Hmm... I'll keep them both, for now. If it is proved that Rhydon is much better than Rhyperior I may remove it.

Thats all I could find. Thats a really great list.
Thank you, sir, for taking the time to give me these suggestions. :)

Since MegaGallade isn't here to update the OP to the mandatory OMotM format, I thought I'd convert it over. I also made a quick banner, edited the text to reflect the Aerilate ban, wrote text for the strategy section and linked to the new resources that the OP doesn't cover (and I missed the ones that were already there, so I added some more visibile or maybe I just need new glasses).

Here's the code:
Code:
[CENTER][SIZE=1][COLOR=#003366]Approved by Hollywood and the Immortal[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CnIFdBD.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]
Ability Unity has one concept, and one concept only: [B]any Pokemon can use any ability, as long as the ability is shared by a Pokemon of the same type[/B].

For example:
[LIST]
[*]Because Poliwrath (Water/Fighting) has Swift Swim, Keldeo can have Swift Swim too because it is also Water/Fighting. However, Manaphy cannot have Swift Swim because it is pure Water, not Water/Fighting.

[*]Because Dragonite (Dragon/Flying) has Multiscale, Altaria can also have Multiscale because it is also Dragon/Flying. Noivern can also have Multiscale, because despite being Flying/Dragon, it still shares the same two types as Dragonite.
[*]Even though Mega Charizard X is Fire/Dragon, Charizard cannot have the same Abilities as Reshiram because normal Charizard is Fire/Flying, not Fire/Dragon.
[*]Obviously, abilities cannot pass on via Evolution. So you can have a Color Change Eevee, but not a Color Change Jolteon.
[/LIST]
[SIZE=6][COLOR=#003366][B]Rules:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[B]Mechanic[/B]: Pokemon can use any ability other Pokemon of their type combination can use
[B]Clauses[/B]: OU Clauses
[B]Bans[/B]: OU Bans, plus...
[I]Pokemon[/I]: Archeops, Regigigas, Slaking
[I]Abilities[/I]: Aerilate, Arena Trap, Fur Coat, Huge Power, Imposter, Parental Bond, Prankster, Pure Power, Shadow Tag, Simple, Speed Boost
[I](NOTE: Natural users of the above abilities can still use them)[/I]
[B]Unbans[/B]: None

[SIZE=6][COLOR=#003366][B]Strategy:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Like Almost Any Ability, Ability Shift is about augmenting Pokemon with abilities that better suit their playstyle than the ones they were given. Unlike AAA, however, these abilities are locked by typing, so Pokemon with rare typings have fewer options than those with more common typings. Some Pokemon that rely on their great abilities in standard, like Clefable and Talonflame, will see substantial competition from Pokemon of the same type, like Florges and Moltres. Meanwhile, Pokemon that don't care about their abilities like Keldeo and Manaphy, appreciate the added buffs of abilities like Swift Swim and Adaptability without losing any of their existing niche. Even some low tier Pokemon may find some use due to their new abilities!

To help identify which Pokemon have which abilities, follow the resources below.

[SIZE=5][SIZE=6][COLOR=#003366][B]Q&A:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Nothing yet!

[SIZE=6][COLOR=#003366][B]Resources:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[B][IMG]http://serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/380.png[/IMG] [USER=139691]Darklatias92[/USER] : [/B][URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ability-unity-omotm-april.3507278/page-10#post-6737991']Compilation of notable abilities and users by type combination[/URL]
[B][IMG]http://serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/327.png[/IMG] [USER=204752]Mr Spaz[/USER] :[/B] [URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ability-unity-omotm-april.3507278/page-9#post-6395118']Compilation of which types can use all abilities in alphabetical order[/URL]
[B][IMG]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/376.png[/IMG] [USER=255227]Jajoken[/USER] :[/B] [URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ability-unity-omotm-april.3507278/page-9#post-6395118']Compilation of notable abilities by niche and their types[/URL]
[B][IMG]http://serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/596.png[/IMG] [USER=87254]Mygavolt[/USER] :[/B] [URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ability-unity.3507278/page-6#post-6247022']Analysis of pre-Mega abilities[/URL]
[B][IMG]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/376-m.png[/IMG]  [USER=255227]Jajoken[/USER] : [/B][URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ability-unity-omotm-april.3507278/page-10#post-6738152']Another analysis of pre-Mega abilities [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
let me just point out that thanks to karrablasts HA being no guard, pinsir now gets no guard guillotine. 85 speed and scarf is not horrible, either.

EDIT: ignore this, ohko clause exists. man this would be great though.

Last edited:
Chatter got banned in AAA when Chatot got Gale Wings, and here there are even fewer options for dealing with the parrot. Also supporting ban.

I'd wait a bit on a Gale Wings ban/nerf itself. Discounting the effect of Chatot, and considering that the latter two teams aren't even running Flying resists, I'm not convinced it's unreasonable for teams to handle just by those three replays. I haven't gotten the opportunity to ladder yet, though.

Blazenix

浮気は犯罪行為
is an Artistis a Community Contributor
The only thing i would like is ability clause, not allowing mire than two of the same abilities on a single team. Bird spam is ridiculously strong, dealing with 1-2 birds wouldn't be such a problem but 6 of them with chatter is just disgusting

Birdspam is definitely a thing, as well as unaware chansey, as you need them to check contrary sceptile... basically a stronger, faster serperior, that can mega to get a dragon STAB.

adaptability lucario is also great at wallbreaking, crunch allowing it to handle cresselia.

as a defensive mon, levitate jirachi with u-turn is a nice pivot for birds. it has 4MSS, since it can only have two out of the three tasks of wishpassing, SRer or bird answer (ice punch needed). dropping u-turn seems univiable as skarmory is better in that case

last but definitely not least, manaphy is extremely powerful with 3 viable sets being protean/sheer force to abuse its movepool, and regenerator to act as a u-turn pivot

I definitely support an ability clause because otherwise birdspam could get extremely pressuring (with stuff like bdrum zard+staraptor+braviary to massively pressure opponents team).

Poison Heal Chesnaught.
Chesnaught @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Protect
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
Cool.

Drizzle Gorebyss...
I'm going to like this metagame
Why not Primordial Sea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not Primordial Sea?
Like Quantum Tesseract said, it would depend of how you want to gear your weather Water-type (not necessarily Gorebyss). If you want to prevent other weather users from setting their weathers up while boosting your own Water attacks as long as you are on the field, go with Primordial Sea. If you instead prefer to support your whole team (for example, by aiding a Swift Swim or Hurricane user, like Swift Swim Keldeo and Tornadus-T, or by nerfing the weakness to Fire of some teammates), then Drizzle is the better choice.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Gale Wings Chatter Chatot (Fletchling) has been left unbanned by the community and it needs to be banned. For the same reasons chatter has been banned in several other metagames, Chatot is growing too powerful with a seemingly prankster confusion move that hits through substitutes and magic bounce. Futhermore, it gets nasty plot, adding to the stupidity of its unbanning, leaving pokemon that could otherwise take it down like tyranitar. Smogon is has banned several things such as this before, so why not again now in a metagame where Chatot basically gets chatter with +1 priority, roost with +1 priority, and nasty plot...

So I thought I'd take a little bit of time to make some sort of mini rmt here.

The Team:

I tried to build an original team that doesn't just rely on spamming broken abilities like theses garbage regenerator teams on the ladder. I had to think out of the box for some of the sets presented but am happy with the end result.

Braviary is the team's lead, being able to throw off powerful brave birds which can take out a lot of other common leads. It's also fairly unpredictable and I try to capitalise a maximum on the surprise factor with this team.
Moltres is a great check to bulky steels like registeel or jirachi that can give trouble to braviary on top of providing some defensive backbone to the team and a switchin to ice moves. It also has a strong special attack which pairs really well with braviary for maximum wallbreaking capacity.
Zapdos is the check to ditto or other braviary leads that can give the team trouble as well as providing defog support and the only switching to electric type moves on the team.
Chatot is the team's main wallbreaker, being able to set up and dent huge holes on the enemy team with boomburst while they hit themselves in the face. It's the best option the team has against stall and is often an important win condition.
Staraptor is the main revenge killer and serves as speed control, being able to outpace and ohko adaptability lucario before it can hit with vacuum wave. It can also serve at taking down a key threat on the opposing team with final gambit.
Dodrio is the only remaining normal / flying type that learns brave bird, it also has access to knock off which can be useful for taking down regenerator porygon2, a huge threat to the team.

It was a hard task as the teambuilding process went so far as to take several minutes and battle can sometimes stretch up to 20 turns but I think this really illustrates what it is possible to do if you're willing to put the required time and effort in pokemon.
Braviary @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Superpower
- Roost

Moltres @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

Chatot @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Chatter
- Boomburst
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Dodrio @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Return

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Staraptor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- Final Gambit
Replays (not many since last time unfortunately, kinda forgot)
Chatot taking down unaware chansey: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/abilityunity-353156603
Chatot taking down registeel: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/abilityunity-353136220

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)