Pokémon Abomasnow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, weather nerf hurts Aboma the most because Hail teams were really all about stall.
With the end of perma-hail, the playstyle is pretty much dead.

It will probably work on Trick Room teams though.
It has beefy offenses, abyssmal speed, and STAB priority to use in a pinch.
Hail will make Blizzard usable for the duration of Trick Room and breaks sturdy/sashes.

Something like:
Quiet Abomasnow@Abomasite
EVs: Max SpA, distribute between Atk and HP
~Blizzard
~Ice Shard
~Energy Ball
~Focus Blast/HP Fire

It can MegaEvolve on Ice Shard which is kind of cool.
Hazard management would be a must.

I actually think the weather nerf helps Abomasnow the most. before, hail teams were almost never used, partially because practically every pokemon would have a fighting/fire/stone weakness. Now, with hail and the increased special attack as a mega, Abomasnow can flip in, and do three or four turns of sweeping before having to vanish, without your team needing to be completely built around him.

I actually think the weather nerf helps Abomasnow the most. before, hail teams were almost never used, partially because practically every pokemon would have a fighting/fire/stone weakness. Now, with hail and the increased special attack as a mega, Abomasnow can flip in, and do three or four turns of sweeping before having to vanish, without your team needing to be completely built around him.
That's a good point.
It's easier to throw him on a team for his own merits.
Aboma is just an alternative to Mamoswine now with a different set of tradeoffs.

That's a good point.
It's easier to throw him on a team for his own merits.
Aboma is just an alternative to Mamoswine now with a different set of tradeoffs.

Except Mamoswine is stuck with just physical attack and a little bit more speed and health, and even his physical attack isn't as high as abomasnow's. If Abomasnow had higher speed, he might just definitively move into OU as a regular, late game sweeper. I mean, as long as he doesn't have any overwhelming threats, his defenses, coupled with auto-hitting blizzard should be able to clean up anything thats left of the other team.

Josh Morales
I think leftover recovery is essential for a subseeding set. going mega and subseeding seems like a waste of a mega slot, especially with his better offense and lower speed. Substitute plus leech seed plus toxic leaves room for only one attack.
I could be wrong though, i just don't see how regular abomasnow doesn't do it better.

Mega Abomasnow's substitutes can actually live through stuff because of ridiculous bulk, and because of how threatening mega abomasnow is you might be able to get subs more easily.

Doesn't change the fact that in which case you might be better off with sub + 3 attacks, but who knows. I used to run a stall breaking abomasnow set with sub, leech seed, focus punch, and blizzard but those all seem kinda meh. I think Abomasnow's mega evolution will best be used in doubles and rotation battles lol.

I just edited in the corrected base stats from the research thread. It seems like mega abomasnows atk and satk are the same after all. in the light of this revelation some pure sets may gain more significance.
His bulk is also better overall.

This Mega is looking pretty cool. The added bulk and lowered speed should give a solid boost to his survivability, and his beastly mixed-attacking power is obviously a welcome addition.

What I'm trying to decide is whether Giga Drain or Wood Hammer would be more useful for the mixed set. GD's recovery would probably compliment his bulk pretty well, but WH's raw power looks like it's too good to pass up.

Also, first-time poster here. Hi, I guess?

Mega Abomasnow is probably one of the better mega pokemon as far as improving on the base is concerned. He goes from an unremarkable pokemon used only for his ability to being a crazy-bulky nuke with a perfect accuracy blizzard that maims anything that doesn't resist it. His best bet is not to act as weather support (and most other ice pokemon are shitty anyways) but instead use the snow for himself and smack the opponent's team around for the duration of hail. Even with one of the worst defensive typings in the game, he's bulky enough to stick around and plow through one or two pokemon.

I've had the dubious honor of fighting one of these in a trick room, and it's not fun guys.

Mega Abomasnow is probably one of the better mega pokemon as far as improving on the base is concerned. He goes from an unremarkable pokemon used only for his ability to being a crazy-bulky nuke with a perfect accuracy blizzard that maims anything that doesn't resist it. His best bet is not to act as weather support (and most other ice pokemon are shitty anyways) but instead use the snow for himself and smack the opponent's team around for the duration of hail. Even with one of the worst defensive typings in the game, he's bulky enough to stick around and plow through one or two pokemon.

I've had the dubious honor of fighting one of these in a trick room, and it's not fun guys.
Yeah, this was definitely one of the more meaningful (and well-designed) mega evolutions. He finally has the stats to take advantage of his 100% accuracy Blizzard and to be an all-around hard-hitting mon. I think he definitely has the potential do really well in UU, especially on Trick Room teams. *shudder*

Still, his typing will undoubtedly continue to be an issue, and Arcanine, Vicitini, and a few others in UU could possibly rain on the parade.

Yeah, this was definitely one of the more meaningful (and well-designed) mega evolutions. He finally has the stats to take advantage of his 100% accuracy Blizzard and to be an all-around hard-hitting mon. I think he definitely has the potential do really well in UU, especially on Trick Room teams. *shudder*

Still, his typing will undoubtedly continue to be an issue, and Arcanine, Vicitini, and a few others in UU could possibly rain on the parade.
Probably a little too good for UU, and probably not good enough for OU. BL is a fate worse than deaaaaaaaaath

Probably a little too good for UU, and probably not good enough for OU. BL is a fate worse than deaaaaaaaaath
We'll see what happens as the meta takes shape, but I really hope he stays UU. His typing is enough to screw him out of OU and in Gen V, Abomasnow filled a cool, niche role in his tier.

If he goes BL, I will shed many a manly tear.

Abomasnow was always my favorite weather setter, even though I never used him, really.

That is, in UU and OU. I used him in Ubers with a Scarfed Blizzard Kyu-W. It was fantastic.

I'm thinking Abomasnow might be able to head up an offensive team and he himself looks like he's well-geared toward bulky offensive prowess, especially on Trick Room teams. The fact is though that VGC will love him more than any singles metagame.

And furthermore, I think he's too stronk for UU.

Wouldn't running Soundproof as an ability be slightly more beneficial than Snow Warning? Considering you'll be switching to Snow Warning basically instantly (come on, like you'll keep this thing unboosted), Soundproof gives a few niche opportunities to switch in for free. Also you get one extra weather turn because one would be wasted switching in.

Wouldn't running Soundproof as an ability be slightly more beneficial than Snow Warning? Considering you'll be switching to Snow Warning basically instantly (come on, like you'll keep this thing unboosted), Soundproof gives a few niche opportunities to switch in for free. Also you get one extra weather turn because one would be wasted switching in.
Are you saying Soundproof with Hail is better than Snow Warning? You can Pokemon with much better defensive typing to use Hail as a move (and it's not a very good option). Aboma's niche is auto-Hail setter.

And what can Soundproof switch in on? Very few Sound-based moves are ever really used.

Are you saying Soundproof with Hail is better than Snow Warning? You can Pokemon with much better defensive typing to use Hail as a move (and it's not a very good option). Aboma's niche is auto-Hail setter.

And what can Soundproof switch in on? Very few Sound-based moves are ever really used.
Mega Abomasnow still sets hail though regardless of its original ability and like I said most users would probably power-up straightaway. It doesn't exactly lose out for this.
Also, this gen since Sound moves can bypass Subs, they may be slightly more common. Things like Bug Buzz, Hyper Voice/Uproar from Pixilate users, Boomburst, etc...

Mega Abomasnow still sets hail though regardless of its original ability and like I said most users would probably power-up straightaway. It doesn't exactly lose out for this.
Also, this gen since Sound moves can bypass Subs, they may be slightly more common. Things like Bug Buzz, Hyper Voice/Uproar from Pixilate users, Boomburst, etc...
The point is that sound based moves are rarely used. Setting up automatic Hail for 5 turns is overall much more useful in more situations

The point is that sound based moves are rarely used. Setting up automatic Hail for 5 turns is overall much more useful in more situations
You set up the hail anyway as soon as you Mevolve , so you could switch in on a Bug Buzz or whatever, Mevolve, and enjoy your hail.

You set up the hail anyway as soon as you Mevolve , so you could switch in on a Bug Buzz or whatever, Mevolve, and enjoy your hail.
Even then, there are few applications for Soundproof, and you still need to Mega-Evolve in the following turn to set up hail instead of setting it up as soon as you switch. Let's look;

- Hyper Voice might be common on Pixelate Sylveon, but without a tutor and no pokebank, it has yet to be seen. I can see it being useful if only for annoying Sylveon, which again is a small niche. Other than that, Hyper Voice isn't commonly seen because Normal isn't the best attack type.

- Being immune to the ridiculously powerful Boomburst is nice, but completely pointless as it's distribution is very small and the only threats who get it are Noivern and Exploud. Also, both learn Flamethrower, something that they commonly run in the first place to get past Steel types and Abomasnow cannot afford to get hit by Fire even in Mega-form.

- Galvantula is the only Bug Buzz user I can think of that Abomasnow would outright counter, and with the introduction of Sticky Web I can definetely see Galvantula becoming more used. Yanmega has Air Slash (though it has to predict if it runs Choice Specs), Venomoth cares more about Baton Passing Quiver Dance than using Bug Buzz, and there's no way you would switch into Volcarona.

I think Snow Warning is better mostly for weather wars, as immediately setting up Hail gets rid of any opposing weather

I love this thing on Trick Room teams!!! One lead with trick-room and you can easily wreack two-three mons with him!! I'm more fond of the special variant because it allows him to take far more hits and it has the awesome blizzard to back it up.

I see this thread...and all i can think about is doubles. Leading with Greninja and Mega Abomasnow. Throwing up Mat Block and hitting Blizzard. I don't even play doubles...

The only practical use in OU (Pokebank) that I found for mega-Abomasnow is with the following core team: Mega-Abomasnow works really well in synergy with avalugg and tentacruel.

Avalugg is a good rapid spinner and has the best defense in the game + ice body (regen life when hail is on), add it leftovers/recover and this thing is impossible to kill (physically) when it hails. With maxed defense you can even resists quite well super effective physical attacks from physical sweepers.

Then you need a SpD wall, and Tentacruel is a good choice, the only thing that bothers me is that it takes damages from the hail, so the best would be a special defense wall that resists hail and fire (if you have an idea please let me know).

Tentacruel can also rapid spin, and with black sludge and the threat of scald it can do a good job against those fire types (as well as walls with toxic).

So it goes like this, you set the hail with mega-abo against a pokemon that doesn't represent a threat for him, on the switch you can go for leech seed/blizzard/substitute/giga drain they are all good depending on the situation, on the opponent switch, whatever you'll face you'll almost always have a good response: avalugg and tentacruel can both rapid spin/toxic or hit quite hard (114 base attack with avalugg is not something that you can ignore).

You can keep switching like this, set hail again, throw some spikes and rapid spin to be able to switch.

For everything that beat this core you still have 3 others available slots in your team, one pokemon with stealth rock would be a good thing. With so much residual damages the sweepers in your team will be able to do tremendous damages.

I think that this has huge potential, notice that tentacruel can be incredibly annoying on the switch with knock off, when you knock off some leftovers the opponent really feels the hail.

I've only been experimenting for a few matches but I think I got something really strong here.

Here is the very first match I did with this core, my opponent is quite strong (1900) but I think that he may have been experimenting too:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-61697821

You can see how exceptionally resilient Avalugg is under the hail, it is a very fun match but you gotta understand that this team is even more strong when aerodactyl can do is job correctly (damn magic bounce)

Let me know what you think about this synergy and sorry if I made mistake I'm not a native english speaker.

The concept is that with so much residuals damage I can sweep with some "unusual" sweeper, basically I use two bulky sweepers that are very resilient.

EDIT:

Just another brief replay to show that Avalugg is actually a very nice counter to common prankster such as Gliscor or Klefki. Abomasnow really shines in this battle.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-61739874

However this team remain quite weak against electric special attackers and is really annoyed by sableye so there is still a lot of work to do, maybe replace Dragonite with Heatran or find another special defense wall.

Here is the full team:

---- CORE ----

Abomasnow (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 SDef / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Avalugg (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Avalanche
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

---- LEAD ----

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

---- SWEEPERS ----

Azumarill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Last edited:
To complement Ryperior should I pick Abomasnow or Ampharos (both mega evolved). Abomasnow has too many weaknesses but Ampharos has some too and worse offensive coverage (few are resisted buut also few get SE). Ryperior and Ampharos leave me open against Venussaur, so I'm inclined to pick Abomasnow.

Or I can pick Venussaur myself, what do you recommend?

edit: Also, can this thing survive priority Brave Bird from Talonflame?

Last edited:
The only fully evolved pokemon I can find that resist both hail and fire are Dewgong and Wallrein, both with Thick Fat. They're still weak to electric, and I'm not sure either would be better than Tentacruel anyway.

I've been thinking about putting Mamoswine instead of Tentacruel, with Thick Fat (and maxed SpD :x). Mamoswine is immune to electricity and can use Stealth Rock. So maybe I could find another Pokemon instead of aerodactyl to counter leads and some annoying pokemon.

Yeah not using recover is a really hard choice but I think that the hail and ice body are enough, this team still need more battles though I only did like 5 battles with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)