AAA Almost Any Ability

First Blood

I'm gonna go with uh
ban
cause terrak kills everything on any playstyle
there's very few mons that can handle toxic band, and they can't handle sd rockium
that's not to mention terrak is the best scarfer in the game

it also has a stupid ass pad
Look there

Looks dumb as shit.

Get it out thanks
I keep spitting my fkin cereals

I really have no interest in laddering for reqs but I'm gonna predict that my ban vote not being there won't change the outcome. Broken mon. It's pretty shocking that Keldeo was banned so long ago but this thing has been around all this time.

Although I do not use terrakion in my team, I don't really see why it may be considered broken in this meta. Yes it is powerful but it can also be quite easily crippled.

DO NOT BAN Terrakion

When I tried to comment a screenshot it didnt show up for some reason, so instead I attached it as a png, and alternatively here is the link to it: https://imgur.com/a/21jA8

Attachments

Last edited:
Although I do not use terrakion in my team, I don't really see why it may be considered broken in this meta. Yes it is powerful but it can also be quite easily crippled.

DO NOT BAN Terrakion

When I tried to comment a screenshot it didnt show up for some reason, so instead I attached it as a png, and alternatively here is the link to it: https://imgur.com/a/21jA8
Not gonna make you force you to change your opinion, but...

It's possible to cripple it, but that's theoretically possible with anything. Sure, I can go ahead and paralyze Rayquaza-Mega with prankster Thunder Wave, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

As a better example, it's definitely possible to, say, Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp Terrakion. But doing so requires either you to A) Be Prankster, B) Be one of the, like, 5 things that can take less than 90% from Close Combat or Stone Edge and have Twave/Will-O, or C) Being Aegislash. Unless you want to remove creativity on your team and go run one of the selective checks that might be able to cripple Terrakioin, good luck. And if they're a faster threat able to check offensively, have fun getting Edge'd by the Scarfed set. And Substitute sets can beat Twave/Will-O if you aren't prankster as well, and result in a free Close Combat or Swords Dance.

As a note though, since I barely play this meta and don't care for where it goes for the most part, I'm not gonna go ladder for reqs.
Am happy about the suspect though, I used Tinted Lens rather than Adaptability for a bit, then went to Adaptability, and it's super busted.
then you walk into Head Smash Reckless Terrak in AAAS or one of the many sets with stuff like Ice Hammer for Lando and cry

pls ban

minutes later edit: or doublade but I don't like Doublade.

Aegislash... what does that even do besides taking some hits from Terrakion? It has an extremely shallow movepool, lacks both will-o-wisp (despite being a ghost) and thunder wave so that it can't cripple anything and with its base 50 attack its attacks don't hurt anyone. If it runs Stance Change to get access to better offensive stats, its only recovery is leftovers, so that it gets worn down even quicker than Regenerator sets. Also, Terrakion gets Earthquake to hit it for super-effective damage.
I tried out Aegislash, but it is way too passive for a regen user as it gets NO utility besides toxic, and it is almost always outclassed by Magearna, who can switch into a Stone Edge comfortably too and forces Terrakion out.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Aegislash... what does that even do besides taking some hits from Terrakion? It has an extremely shallow movepool, lacks both will-o-wisp (despite being a ghost) and thunder wave so that it can't cripple anything and with its base 50 attack its attacks don't hurt anyone. If it runs Stance Change to get access to better offensive stats, its only recovery is leftovers, so that it gets worn down even quicker than Regenerator sets. Also, Terrakion gets Earthquake to hit it for super-effective damage.
I tried out Aegislash, but it is way too passive for a regen user as it gets NO utility besides toxic, and it is almost always outclassed by Magearna, who can switch into a Stone Edge comfortably too and forces Terrakion out.
I believe one of its only niches is access to King's Shield, but Aegislash isn't something that you want to put on your team, especially when you have Doublade, Magearna and Skarmory.

Some pretty mean hax tried to get me down, but I finally did it!

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 6.56.03 PM.png

This decision actually was pretty difficult for me. I have never used or wanted to use Terrakion, but when I was first starting AAA I certainly hated playing against it. Scarf+Adaptability was simply too much, even if I tried to beat it with prediction. And then sometimes, if I was sure it was scarfed, it would be sash or SD Z-Move and I was doomed. Any semi-competent player can slap it on a team and do some pretty destructive damage.
After a while, I found that it definitely has its answers offensively, with things like weather and terrain, but I have found every time that I've been teambuilding I'm thinking about what can either a.) outspeed and OHKO it or b.) possibly tank a hit if it's the wrong move. I'm not particularly fond of always building with that max 519 speed in mind, and I think Terrakion is simply too strong, and to be honest, ugly. Sure, there are some answers like Doublade or Intimidate Hippo/Buzz but you will not catch me throwing a Doublade on a team just to deal with this stupidly strong Pokémon. So, in the end, I will be voting BAN for Terrakion, not because it's unbeatable, but because every team must be built with those ugly stupid horns in mind, and it's simply too centralizing as a result.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
DO NOT BAN
though i can be convinced otherwise as I rarely played aaa before this suspect. I just think Terrak's coverage options are too limited, and intimidate bulky mons beat it. Also it's not even S in the viability rankings. How can it be broken and not be the best mon? It is centralizing, but a lot of things are. At least you know it's so one dimensional that if you have something that's supposed to check it, it will guaranteed work.

Attachments

DO NOT BAN
though i can be convinced otherwise as I rarely played aaa before this suspect. I just think Terrak's coverage options are too limited, and intimidate bulky mons beat it. Also it's not even S in the viability rankings. How can it be broken and not be the best mon? It is centralizing, but a lot of things are. At least you know it's so one dimensional that if you have something that's supposed to check it, it will guaranteed work.
The viability rankings for AAA are very old at this point (I don't think they have one update really besides from a few changes) and the only mon in S is Mag anyways which you should get why thats in S even if it isn't necessarily broken. A lot of things get banned that aren't the "best" mon in the tier. For example Dugtrio was never S rank in OU or this tier but got banned in both.
Second, Terrak doesn't need coverage when it has virtually unresisted STABs with Adaptability and its STABs don't have any immunity ability like Levitate or Flash Fire. The only mon that tanks it's STAB moves are Doublade/Aegislash and it gets EQ for that, and besides that you need an intimidate mon to switch into it and even then those can be beatin by SD Z-Move fairly easily.
It also really isn't a one-deminsional mon. It's move set and abilities (basically always Adapt) may be one-dimensional, but it's doesn't need anything else anyways and it has a number of different sets. Band and SD really don't have much defensive counter play at all and can beat checks to each other, and scarf is by far the best RKer in the tier and is ridiculous for offensive teams to deal with. There is also the SD Beast Boost set that isn't seen very often but from experience can easily clean balance or offensive teams.

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Adding to above, Choice Band Terrakion tends to carry Toxic to put timer on those defensive roadblocks like Buzzwole or Hippowdon which is impossible to surmount otherwise. If they are not Intimidate, especially in Buzzwole's case, they will be threatened by SD sets which carries Z-crystal to produce a crazy showcase of damage output. Maigc bounce Buzzole is a thing for reason.

Also VR is not even a valid argument to support arguments for ban / no ban stance at this point when unexplored / explored part of the metagame's information has not been updated. I would say the primary reason why Terrakion is banworthy is due to the difficulty of defensive counterplay and some pressure on trambuilding; it is somewhat similar to back when every team needed that Unaware Skarmory just to stop Kartana. Although I might not be good / dedicated enough to achieve 2700 COIL, I would say Terrakion is clearly a banworthy threat that should be caged.

Fuck Weavile, seriously.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Captureaaa.PNG

One of my worst runs ngl, but w/e. Ban

Not much to say that hasn't been said before, incredibly constraining for bulkier teams, since there is no single counter to all of it's sets, because rock/fighting is such a superb STAB combination coupled with>= 100 Base Power STABs. Even after scouting the set it is still prediction reliant, as each of its counters intimidate buzz, hippo( toxic'd by band variants) , mb buzz( dicked by banded stone edge or +2 rockium z), and not to say a single wrong prediction is extremely punishing, since something just goes down. Though there is doublade, but it doesn't really have an easy time in the meta rn, and defensive Aegi is a bad mon since outside King's Shield and Toxic, it's support move-pool is surprisingly barren, and at the same time both can still be surprised by earthquake variants.
tldr : Doesn't really 6-0 teams but has very little defensive counter-play when played right, while still being the best scarfer in the meta and obliterating offensive teams on a free switch.

https://imgur.com/a/ZwMus
BAN
Personally I didn't found Terrakion threatening at all during my run but I'm kinda new in the metagame so I guess I don't have faced it enough to see why is considerated banworthy, so I'll trust in you guys and vote ban.

Man, this is just a big Waste of time, Why tiers, Pokemon was made to be fun, using the ones you most like, I mean, I can use a terrakion if I want to, same to darkrai, they are still easily beaten! This thing of tiers is something that totally boils my blood, playing with friends is impossible thanks to this organization, tbh Terrakion is awesome as it is, but scald it and it transforms onto a waste of space. imo terrakion should stay

modedit: don't post vote in bold without proof

Last edited by a moderator:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
whats the ability that makes this broken? none of the posts mentioned it...
Its mainly Adaptability, since its STABs are already great on their own. And now with their extra boost in power, it can single handily 2HKO the majority of walls in the metagame without significant support. Other abilities such as Beast Boost and Mold Breaker can be used as well to catch the opponent off guard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)