Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

another question about the fangame. are we aloud to add to the caps movepool as the fangame is going to work like a new generation of pokemon.

Quick question: You know how we have made custom abilities and moves in the past? Would CAP ever allow the making of items, like Thick Club or Light Ball? I'm asking this because I've always had this idea of an item which could revolutionize the metagame, in the same way Eviolite (somehow) did. I place it below in hide tags for those who are interested:

Mutagen
If the Pokemon holding this item does not have a 2nd Type, it gains a 2nd Type same as the type of one of its attacking moves in its current moveset.

The 2nd Type can't be the same as the 1st Type. If the Pokemon already has a 2nd Type, this item will have no effect. If the Pokemon does not have any attacking moves at all, or of a type other than its 1st Type, this item will have no effect. If it has more than one possible type, 2nd Type will be randomized. This change in type occurs immediately after a Pokemon is sent into battle, before receiving any hazard damage or attack. A recalled Pokemon reverts back to its original typing. Hidden Power is considered as a Normal-type move.
Effectively this gives a Pokemon a new 2nd Type as it enters the battle. This means it would have a new STAB to make use of, and a new set of resistances and weaknesses, in exchange for the item slot, which could have been used for arguably better items such as Leftovers or Life Orb. For example:

Haxorus @ Mutagen
Mold Breaker
Adamant
36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
~ Outrage
~ Aqua Tail
~ Dragon Dance
~ Swords Dance / Brick Break

With this set, Haxorus forgoes a Life Orb in exchange for getting a 2nd Type of Water. This allows him to get a very good secondary STAB (that can be further boosted by rain). Also, its Ice weakness becomes a neutrality, he gets a Steel resistance, and his Water and Fire resistances become doubled (thus only receiving 1/4 damage from these types, very helpful against rain and sun teams). Sure it loses its Grass and Electric resistances, but in exchange, you get a powered-up Double Dancer Kingdra with base 147 Attack. If one decides to drop Swords Dance and use Brick Break instead, you have equal chances of getting a Dragon/Water and Dragon/Fighting, the former having very nice resistances, and the latter having excellent (unresisted?) dual STABs.
Yes, the retypings may be cool, such as Grass/Dragon Serperior (Dragon Pulse), and Electric/Dark Luxray (Crunch), but it some would prove to be disasters in terms of flavor, such as Fighting/Fire Machamp (Fire Punch) or Water/Bug Samurott (Megahorn). Yes, this item is limited only to Pokemon with no secondary types yet. Yes, you can't get a Grass/Fire Sceptile because the Pokemon's movepool limits the possible retypings it could have. However, the variety this one little item adds to the metagame is tremendous. With this item, every Pokemon in existence (with a sole typing) can be rediscovered, and may just find a niche they'd never had.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quick question: You know how we have made custom abilities and moves in the past? Would CAP ever allow the making of items, like Thick Club or Light Ball? I'm asking this because I've always had this idea of an item which could revolutionize the metagame, in the same way Eviolite (somehow) did. I place it below in hide tags for those who are interested:
Items aren't a specific part of a Pokemon so no, they wouldn't be allowed. I could see you /maybe/ arguing for an exclusive item on the grounds that it was necessary to fulfil a particular concept, but I know that Doug for one has expressed sentiments condemning all possibility of new items and I'm fairly certain that every long-time member of CAP, myself included, would back him up on these.

Remember that custom elements are only made on a need-for basis and there's nothing an item could do that either an ability or a move could not, quite apart from the fact that there are no concepts I can think of that would ever call for an item that at the same time could affect the metagame to such a drastic extent. Remember also that CAPs are an independent entity - the CAPs do not affect the egg groups of Pokemon, so likely as not any created item would not be allowed on any other Pokemon either.

I feel silly for asking this, but I have heard that CAP pokes that were made in 4th gen will soon be unable for use in the 5th generation.(once showdown has past gen support or something like that). is this true? If it isn't, then is there any possibility o "revamping" the 4th gen CAPs for the new metagame, such as giving Kitsunoh regenerator and a few new moves from 5th gen/5th gen tutors or something along those lines?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel silly for asking this, but I have heard that CAP pokes that were made in 4th gen will soon be unable for use in the 5th generation.(once showdown has past gen support or something like that). is this true? If it isn't, then is there any possibility o "revamping" the 4th gen CAPs for the new metagame, such as giving Kitsunoh regenerator and a few new moves from 5th gen/5th gen tutors or something along those lines?
We haven't decided. All possibilities will be discussed if and when Showdown! receives support for DPP. As of now there is no official policy on anything in that regard, only that there is no possibility of revamping or banning CAPs until said past gen support is available.

Hi.

Erm... if this was already put into the OP, which I did read but... didn't see much about this subject, then I apologize.

Is it allowed for somebody to create an idea for a CAP at there own will, or does a mod need to do it, or is it necessary for a mod to give permission, or...?

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
If you read around a bit, you'll have seen our Concept Submissions information. When you find that, I think your answer will come quickly.

You will also probably find the Newcomers' Guide to be helpful!

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To be a little more helpful, we have a whole entire process we go through each time we set out to make a CAP. All of our Pokemon are made with community input; NO ONE makes an official CAP on his/her own, not even mods. The other articles on the site I linked to will give you more information about the CAP Project and its general goings-on. Welcome to CAP!

When will we be doing CAP LC and (If we even will) CAP NFE? I have always wondered this ever sence we started the prevos.

What exactly does it mean when he says "affiliated with another established online pokemon community?"

Also, where can I find the Flavour Texts of the CAPs?

How exactly does concept posting for new CAP projects work? Are more active members more likely to get an idea passed through? If the idea is not chosen, can you submit it again? I have an idea, and I'm wondering if I should submit it for the next project or polish it more.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A thread for people to post concepts in will go up at the start of each project. Anyone is allowed to submit one, as long as you follow the format that is show in the OP of the submission thread. And yes, even if your concept is not chosen, you can feel free to submit it again. So, if you have an idea, then you can feel free to submit in the upcoming CAP project. However, if you don't think that it is polished enough yet, then there is nothing wrong with waiting another project.

If you are not sure if it is ready or not, I might suggest looking back at some of the old concept submission and concept poll threads, so you can get an idea of how refined you want your concept to be before submitting. All the old threads can be found in the Process Archive subforum.

Um, for Araumoth, can't we just have it's only ability be Weak Armor? It'd fix a lot of problems and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As everyone will admit, there were many problems with Aurumoth, beyond just abilities. In fact, we had an entire thread dedicated to talking about where it was that we messed up most. However, with that said, there are problems every CAP project, and I doubt any one we could look back on and say that every decision made was right. As such, we are not likely going to be changing anything about Aurumoth any time soon.

The CAP project is about the process and what we learn from it, not simply the creatures we create. Aurumoth may not embody what the concept we chose set out to do, but it is a testiment to the effort put forward by the community, however flawed it may be.

I have a question.
thank you captain obvious

If a design i make for cap wins, does that mean that i am unable to use that design for my own personal fakedex?

if i submit a design and it doesnt win, am i then still able to use that design as i see fit?

While it won't fix the whole problem, would it be possible to nerf Aurumoth? If i remember correctly, Syclant was nerfed.
(the cap ladder on showdown is filled with those buggers)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
@Doran Dragon - Original artists retain the right to use their designs however they see fit for personal projects. However, you cannot restrict how the CAP project uses your design in the future after you post it in CAP, whether it wins or not.

@Legend13 - Technically the CAP project can alter CAP pokemon after they are complete, BUT we have a general policy to NOT alter CAP pokemon any more. After the large revision process we did few years ago involving many CAP pokemon, we learned the hard way that it's best to just leave CAP pokemon alone after their project completes. So don't expect any alterations to Aurumoth or any other CAP pokemon any time soon.

I'm not familiar around CAP but I just need to wonder something. Why isn't Rapid Spin Necturna used? It is possibly the most reliable way of spinning as no one will send in their spinblocker vs it and if they do (for some dumb reason) they will get nailed by Shadow Claw. Has this ever been considered before?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)