Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Since tutor moves will be coming out in the Isle of Armor expansion, which will include brand new moves, will there be another movepool update to include in those moves??

Since tutor moves will be coming out in the Isle of Armor expansion, which will include brand new moves, will there be another movepool update to include in those moves??
The updates are to get the CAPs movepools in line with the current games - if something is drastically different after we have all the DLC and all the information, I'm sure we could look into revisiting movepools again then.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Where is here the right place to suggest a new Cap project? for a new pokemon?

how would you do a 3-D model of a dragon/ghost bipedal skeleton dragon? that body is soaked with aura?

Dragaleton

stats:

HP: 30

Attack: 90

Defense: 40

Sp. Atk: 30

Sp. Def: 1

Speed: 45

Total: 236

ability:

Skeleton Guard - user is immune to all oponents special attacks, works similar like wonder guard but the type advantage doesnt bypass the effect, means that special moves that are SE against it wont hurt it.

Height: 1,4m
weight: 60kg

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Where is here the right place to suggest a new Cap project? for a new pokemon?

how would you do a 3-D model of a dragon/ghost bipedal skeleton dragon? that body is soaked with aura?
Dragaleton

stats:

HP: 30

Attack: 90

Defense: 40

Sp. Atk: 30

Sp. Def: 1

Speed: 45

Total: 236

ability:

Skeleton Guard - user is immune to all oponents special attacks, works similar like wonder guard but the type advantage doesnt bypass the effect, means that special moves that are SE against it wont hurt it.
Hi Matleo,

CaP is not a project where you yourself get to present ideas for us to create.

You can check out the ideals and workings of the CaP Project here: https://www.smogon.com/cap/articles/newcomers_guide

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
ok, as ideas for a project leader, wanted only to know where to post them.
The linked article explains that exact question. You don't.

"This is not a project for people to submit their own Pokémon, or make personal creations."

Matleo

Banned deucer.
The linked article explains that exact question. You don't.

"This is not a project for people to submit their own Pokémon, or make personal creations."
then You guys exchange ides directly via chat? or where the projects start?

then You guys exchange ides directly via chat? or where the projects start?
it's a whole formal process, a few leaders are chosen who most things run through, and there are steps where topics, typings, stats, moves, etc. are voted on. look through the archive to get a better idea, or participate in the next one

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Are there still plans to get Monohm, Duohm, Colloshale, Protowatt, Nohface, etc. onto Showdown? I know that CaP prevos were being worked on a while back, but I haven’t seen a new project in a while.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Are there still plans to get Monohm, Duohm, Colloshale, Protowatt, Nohface, etc. onto Showdown? I know that CaP prevos were being worked on a while back, but I haven’t seen a new project in a while.
yes, it's just on the backburner atm since cap27 is currently up. i can't guarantee when we'll get to it but it tends to happen during cap down times, (like after cap27 wraps up).

Why does colossoil lose pursuit because pursuit is not programmed into sword and shield, but kitsunoh gets to keep shadow strike which is also a move not programmed into sword and shield? It seems an arbitrary distinction to me so I'd love to hear what the policy is that differs the two cases.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Why does colossoil lose pursuit because pursuit is not programmed into sword and shield, but kitsunoh gets to keep shadow strike which is also a move not programmed into sword and shield? It seems an arbitrary distinction to me so I'd love to hear what the policy is that differs the two cases.
I’m pretty sure Shadow Strike is a custom move made for Kitsunoh, back when custom elements could still be used

Where do I report an error regarding a revamped moveset when the thread is locked?

Specifically, Plasmamanta has Venom Drench listed as an egg move when there's a TR for that move. (SwSh would never handle learning TRs like that)

Fidgit also has Metronome and Spikes listed as egg, but should only be listed as TM/TR moves.

EDIT: All other errors I found were posted in the respective threads. These are here because the threads regarding those movepools are locked.

Last edited:
This is more of out of curiosity, but what happened during the gen 4-5 period of time that changed CAP policies so that customs elements were no longer allowed in cap submissions?

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
This is more of out of curiosity, but what happened during the gen 4-5 period of time that changed CAP policies so that customs elements were no longer allowed in cap submissions?
So I can't find the thread right this second, but if I recall correctly, the basic idea is this: Game Freak has implemented an extreme variety of tools within the game to make Pokemon out of. If we're supposed to learn things about the game, why do we need to look beyond those tools? Do we need to explore concepts that are outside of the bounds of the game when our goal is to explore the game itself?

Another reason why we stopped making custom elements is that we're already making Pokemon that are new and people have to learn what they are and how they work. There's no reason to add on more learning layers by saying "ah yes, this CAP which also has this custom move. We keep the custom elements that were made to preserve the history, and there are 5 custom elements in CAP (Mountaineer, Persistent, Rebound, Paleo Wave, and Shadow Strike), so the learning barrier isn't too high, but imagine if there were say, 10 more custom elements. It'd be increasingly difficult to keep track of those AND all the new Pokemon in general. Also, the amount of times that Persistent Fidgit would catch newcomers off guard, even after I got it to have an activation message, is really indicative of how custom elements can be kinda deceptive if you're not looking for them.

There have been arguments to remove the custom elements from the CAPs as they are now, but...I think it just makes the most sense to leave the creations how they were made at the time and stop making new custom elements, which is the present case.

Kinda rambly response because I'm super tired, but I hope this helps :)

I only occasionally lurked the CAP forums during Gen V and wasn't present around during Gen IV, so I had to dig through PRC and Process Archive to find answers to this, and it seems like it was a combination of different factors. Right at the beginning of BW, the first post by the TL, reachzero, expressed that he was against the idea of custom elements, as there was so much new stuff to use without having to use them. A later post during Ability discussion reinforces this position, and also mentions that programming custom elements of Pokemon Online, the main battle simulator at the time, wasn't feasible due to technical issues. Later, during the massive changes to the whole process post-Aurumoth, this thread put a formal end to custom abilities. I couldn't find anything concrete about moves, but in general, the main reason with Paleo Wave and Shadow Strike exist was because there weren't any good options to use as STABs for those types back then, but after Kitsunoh, that wasn't a problem for other CAPs.

I believe that it also has to do with a cultural shift in CAP. Back in DP, the process was much more relaxed, so adding some custom element wasn't seen as that big of a deal. However, as time passed, CAP began to put more emphasis on utilizing the tools Game Freak has given us to their fullest extent and the process just became much more rigorous, so there wasn't any place left for custom elements that could completely alter the way a CAP works in the middle of the process.

As I said at the beginning, I wasn't around too much back then, so I apologize if I'm misinterpreting some facts here.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When will we be able to discuss CAP27’s potential secondary ability?
When a CAP's second ability poll ends with the choice of a non-competitive (i.e. flavor) ability, the discussion and vote on this ability takes place after the movepool is finalized.

Movepool as an entire stage can take a little bit, though, so I can't tell you exactly when that will be. Once the general moveset discussion stage is over (and it doesn't seem like it is winding down just yet), there will be a stage for people to submit actual complete movepools, and then the voting on those movepools. Once all that is done, the flavor ability will be discussed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)